Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
he has an incredibly genuine warmth to him - he’s lovely to listen to because it’s like listening to a friend tell you about their day. just a very natural presenter.

by contrast, i had radio 1 on in the car earlier and the presenter (whoever she was) played lorde’s green light and said “wow that song always makes me think about, like, that feeling when you’re at a green light, waiting to go, you know?” as if that’s not literally what the song is about 🤣
Absolutely and you can't train for that, you either have it or you don't. Dean/Vicky/Nat ect all sound like media students showing off doing an a level radio show for their classmates, I can't believe they're the best in young radio talent the UK has to offer?!
Where do they find them, cause back in the day most of Radio one was made up of ex children's TV presenters!
---
I love Rylan’s presenting style but his club anthems are a bit much for me at that time of the day after the first hour.
Actually I do have to agree with you there! Not a fan of clubby stuff, I would much prefer something like a nostalgic pop segment (like a different year each week) or girl bands/ boy bands of yesteryear ect

Reactions: 5

CrushedIcePlease

VIP Member
I wonder if Scott Mills has been filming celebrity race across the world or some other reality show for the bbc. Today he’s uploaded a video of him seeing his dog for the first time in six weeks so he seems to have been away somewhere.

Unrelated, Newsbeat is really annoying me with how babyish it’s reporting is. They were talking about David Cameron and instead of introducing him as Foreign Secretary they said something along the lines of the man in government who looks after the uks relations with other countries. I’m sure they did something similar with the chancellor as well, the man in charge of the nations finances rather than his job title
Yes I wondered this when I saw him seeing his dog, he looks really tanned also!

ETA more so than normal 😂
---
THIS!!! This is exactly how I feel too! I can't stand listening to any of it except as you say, Greg and Matt and Molly. Molly irritates me sometimes though too but I like how much fun they seem to have so prefer them together to when Matt is on on his own, yesterday's show Matt was on great form, he seemed almost giddy and was really funny
Yep same here - Greg, Matt and Mollie (just). Vick Hope is actually quite funny but I think she would be better with her own show.
I have to switch over the others - when Greg goes I’ll be done with R1 I think.
It’s telling that they have moved into putting “DJ’s” on in 2s or 3s, like they can’t cope with a show by themselves!

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Rylan returns today, with an improved tan (his words) 😁

Tony Blackburn turned down a job in a Mirror factory....he just couldn't see himself working there.....on reflection it was a wise decision.....
:rolleyes:

• Haha

TheStrawberryThief

I feel like radio 2 has turned into Radio create Glastonbury FOMO this week. Every bloody day it has been are you going, call in if you are going, call in if you are there, call in if you are on the way....

I do enjoy the coverage of the actual performances, I just don't want to hear from every single sweaty camper that goes through the gate :p .

Don't take this to seriously BTW. I hope they all gave a good time, I just wish it wasn't the only thing anyone had to talk about this week.

For context.... I hate anything and everything to do with camping, tents or not being able yo wash properly. It makes me feel grim.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Unrelated, Newsbeat is really annoying me with how babyish it’s reporting is. They were talking about David Cameron and instead of introducing him as Foreign Secretary they said something along the lines of the man in government who looks after the uks relations with other countries. I’m sure they did something similar with the chancellor as well, the man in charge of the nations finances rather than his job title
yep - they always introduce the chancellor like “the important man who’s in charge of all our money-woney” and it drives me crazy. while i know the radio 1 demographic is younger, they’re not toddlers.

i am accepting that i’m just too old for radio 1 now though 🥲 can’t give up greg in the mornings just yet but literally every other show (except maybe matt and molly) is like a group of work experience kids have somehow gotten hold of a microphone.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Johnnie Walker sounded frail (voice wise) these past few weeks, his Sunday 70's show is pre-recorded quite frequently now.
Do hope he's ok.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Oh GOD, I also had the displeasure of listening to Sam and Danny on my way to work last weekend! I thought I’d accidentally tuned into a local student radio station. They were playing that game where the listener has to veto a song and when they got stuck with Ironic by Alanis Morissette, Sam was saying it was cringe? Then afterwards admitted she didn’t even know what song it was so thought it was a cheesy one? How can you not know that song and be a radio DJ?! 🫠
that is EXACTLY the game i’m talking about! how can you not know ironic?!? they’re so constantly surprised by whatever song comes up, as if they have literally never heard music before. they had lcd soundsystem come up the other week who, yes, are fairly niche but they spent ages saying “who’s that? is that a real band? it doesn’t sound real” - i mean, if the point of the game is that you’re picking songs from the playlist then yes, i think they’re a real band.

still convinced they’re not real djs and are actually someone’s kids who keep breaking into the studio tbh. but i could say that about 80% of the current radio 1 lineup 🤣
---
I’m 52 and love Matt & Mollie. I love their party anthems on a Friday and makes you want to go out but then you drop once the chart kicks in!

Agree about Vick - she was great with Jordan, good chemistry but she seems lost now with Katie and Jamie. Although this week has been better without Jamie. If he hadn’t have filled in for Mollie’s maternity leave he wouldn’t be where he is today.
i love matt and mollie because you can tell they’re genuine friends (and matt was so lovely when she was doing her bike ride). they’re just fun to listen to
as a pairing.

vick is good with katie, but both she and katie seem lost with jamie tbh. he just seems completely lost on the radio and can’t sustain any chain of thought long enough to contribute to a conversation.

TheStrawberryThief

I am always distrustful of any schedule changes on radio 2. I just don't like change. Give it a few weeks and I will grudgingly admit to liking it. I haven't really heard enough of Paddy's cover shows to get a feel for his style.

I am a little Dissapointed that they haven't gone for a women in one of the slots. There are very few women on the weekend, especially during the day. Nothing wrong with the male hosts they have, it would just be nice to be a bit more even.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Tony Blackburn said he was in the supermarket & dropped a bag of Flour, a lady passing offered to help pick it up, but Tony said.....don't worry....it's Self-Raising...... 😬

• Haha

TheStrawberryThief

Radio 2 had some tech issues around 5pm. It kept cutting in and out and when it came back it seemed to cut to the emergency feed of just songs. After a few minutes it cut off a song midway and went to the news late.

I kinda like when things go wrong and you can tell.

• Haha

under the ivy

VIP Member
I’m up early enough to hear Owain on the early breakfast on R2, my god he’s awful.

Oh joy Zoe is back. Off to Greatest Hits for my commute 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4

IndominusRex

VIP Member
Why is the Big Weekend coverage so terrible? Wouldn’t it be much better to just broadcast the sets instead of random groups of DJs chatting about what a great time they’re having and usual playlist.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
He set off walking at lunchtime, 40c temp, no phone, no water, just a small sun-shade umbrella.
I can't get my head around someone doing that, it's so dangerous.
Crazy isn't it? But terrible things can happen because of seemingly small wrong decisions - not taking his phone, not waiting for a bus in the first village he arrived at, carrying on walking in the wrong direction instead of turning back. And he was a highly intelligent man who must have been aware of the risks.
It's terribly sad, and made sadder in that it was so easily preventable.

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
yep - they always introduce the chancellor like “the important man who’s in charge of all our money-woney” and it drives me crazy. while i know the radio 1 demographic is younger, they’re not toddlers.

i am accepting that i’m just too old for radio 1 now though 🥲 can’t give up greg in the mornings just yet but literally every other show (except maybe matt and molly) is like a group of work experience kids have somehow gotten hold of a microphone.
It's not your age, radio 1 has just made really bad choices with djs recently. They range from bearable but meh (Katie thiselton, Vic hope, Charlie, Ricky/melvin) to shockingly awful (Jamie Lang, Dean and Vicky, Danny Beard, the red haired chart guy). They need to do a massive cull and then some sort of X factor talent search for new DJs, it would be fun!

TheStrawberryThief

Tomorrow Johnny Walker and Tony Blackburn will be doing a special ' Battle of the Pirates' show at 12pm. It sounds like it will be fun.

• Heart

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
I caught him and his wife doing a slot together on something just a few weeks ago. They seemed like a lovely couple, very caring with one another. Whether you agree with his intermittent fasting approach or not, this is sad news.
He set off walking at lunchtime, 40c temp, no phone, no water, just a small sun-shade umbrella.
I can't get my head around someone doing that, it's so dangerous.

Rainbow Blossom

She's ok on the radio in small doses, but yea there's something very 'private school head girl 'about her. She always harping on about how she grew up in Newcastle and didn't have a TV growing up, but clearly came from a very privileged background with lots of foreign travel and a very nice Cambridge education.
In the words of Mrs Merton "So Vick, what attracted you to the multi millionaire Calvin Harris ?!" 😂
Yes the Newcastle thing is irritating. She acts as if she has an accent, but there’s no hint of one to my ears? Also when she talks in Spanish.. it’s not even that she speaks in Spanish, it’s that she brings up the subject of Spanish so that she’s then asked to speak it. I don’t know what it is but she’s smug and smarmy.

aidil

VIP Member
they absolutely have. i’ve been going to work early the past few saturdays and have been subjected to sam and danny - who spend most of their time wondering what certain buttons do, talking over the end of songs and not seeming to know anything about music when they do a music based quiz 🤣 jamie laing is also just all wrong for radio. he worked with matt edmonson just about but it’s like he’s an annoying kid that vick and katie are having to babysit.

it needs a huge cull. the quality there rn is godawful.
Oh GOD, I also had the displeasure of listening to Sam and Danny on my way to work last weekend! I thought I’d accidentally tuned into a local student radio station. They were playing that game where the listener has to veto a song and when they got stuck with Ironic by Alanis Morissette, Sam was saying it was cringe? Then afterwards admitted she didn’t even know what song it was so thought it was a cheesy one? How can you not know that song and be a radio DJ?! 🫠

• Haha