Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheStrawberryThief

Listening to how naturally Rylan flows through his show on a Saturday really makes you realise how bad most of the presenters are on Radio one. Would love to know how much the ratings must have dropped for the afternoon, as no sane person could enjoy Jamie's 'Tim nice but dim' act
Rylan is an excellent presenter. I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I admire how hard he works and how much personality he puts into his work.

I would recommend the show he has just done on TV with Judge Rinder about then visiting Italy following the route of the Grand Tour.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Listening to how naturally Rylan flows through his show on a Saturday really makes you realise how bad most of the presenters are on Radio one. Would love to know how much the ratings must have dropped for the afternoon, as no sane person could enjoy Jamie's 'Tim nice but dim' act

• Heart
Reactions: 11

TheStrawberryThief

Gary Davis seems to be the hardest working 'sit in presenter on R2 at the moment. It feels like he is sitting in for someone nearly every week at the moment. He is good at it, I feel like he always 'understands the assignment' of whatever show he is covering, and could probably be used anywhere apart from the lunchtime phone in.

Reactions: 10

Rainbow Blossom

Does anyone else find Vic Hope annoying? Something really attention seeking and ‘pick me’ about her. I can’t listen when she’s on radio 1.

Reactions: 10

Multi-21

VIP Member
I wonder if Scott Mills has been filming celebrity race across the world or some other reality show for the bbc. Today he’s uploaded a video of him seeing his dog for the first time in six weeks so he seems to have been away somewhere.

Unrelated, Newsbeat is really annoying me with how babyish it’s reporting is. They were talking about David Cameron and instead of introducing him as Foreign Secretary they said something along the lines of the man in government who looks after the uks relations with other countries. I’m sure they did something similar with the chancellor as well, the man in charge of the nations finances rather than his job title

Reactions: 9

under the ivy

VIP Member
Might be an unpopular opinion but I’m sick of the Eurovision overkill on R2, especially them shoving Richie on every half hour.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

mcgee

VIP Member
I miss him! He's the main reason I've switched from R1 to R2. His music taste and references are generally 90s/ 00s pop culture and that's very much up my street! I'm 34, so sometimes R2 can feel a bit old for me (not into 80s or 70s stuff) so for me Scott is a nice mix between new stuff and my era of nostalgia 😊
Spoony is ok for a bit, but I wouldn't listen if he was on full time.
I preferred him on Radio 1 when he used to do things like innuendo bingo, loved that. The music he plays I enjoy but not Scott himself. I’m 27 but like Radio 2 for the older stuff they play at times. Tony Blackburn’s sounds of the 60s is one of my favourites shows - I’m an old soul at heart 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7

TheStrawberryThief

I have been feeling a bit emotional all week about Johnnie Walker, especially after reading the interview he and his wife did for the telegraph.

He is one of my favourite presenters. I used to listen to his drive time show whilst doing my homework after college.

My parents were born in mid 50s, so 60s and 70s music was what they grew up with. I have enjoyed listening to their music with them, and found it to be a great way to connect to them.

After my dad died, me and my mum started making a point of listening to Sounds of the 60s and 70s every week. Sometimes live and sometimes on demand, and just enjoying the music and talking about our favourites. It really helped having something to look forward to every week, especially during the first year after when things were very difficult.

I find it quite moving listening to people's letters about what certain songs mean to them, or when they want a song that reminds them of a loved one who has passed away.

I am going to be absolutely distraught when Johnnie passes away.

I am sure the show will go on with someone else, but it won't be the same.

I am sure the show will continue, but it just won't be the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

LaBlonde

VIP Member
he has an incredibly genuine warmth to him - he’s lovely to listen to because it’s like listening to a friend tell you about their day. just a very natural presenter.

by contrast, i had radio 1 on in the car earlier and the presenter (whoever she was) played lorde’s green light and said “wow that song always makes me think about, like, that feeling when you’re at a green light, waiting to go, you know?” as if that’s not literally what the song is about 🤣

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I wonder if Scott Mills has been filming celebrity race across the world or some other reality show for the bbc. Today he’s uploaded a video of him seeing his dog for the first time in six weeks so he seems to have been away somewhere.
Well guessed! In papers it says he and his boyfriend are in Celeb Race Across the World.

VicksterIcon

Chatty Member
So it all went tits up during the Ultimate ABBA Song on Radio 2. It’s a pre record and after 20 minutes of the 2nd hour it was reliased the first hour was being repeated!! They had to miss out tracks 14-9!!! I thought husband had hacked the Google speaker to play Kylie’s Padam!!

• Haha

Traazers

VIP Member
Gary Davis seems to be the hardest working 'sit in presenter on R2 at the moment. It feels like he is sitting in for someone nearly every week at the moment. He is good at it, I feel like he always 'understands the assignment' of whatever show he is covering, and could probably be used anywhere apart from the lunchtime phone in.
Like a good supply teacher

CrushedIcePlease

VIP Member
vick is good with katie, but both she and katie seem lost with jamie tbh. he just seems completely lost on the radio and can’t sustain any chain of thought long enough to contribute to a conversation.
Thing is this was SO evident when he was on with Matt when Mollie was on mat leave. He was terrible so I just assumed they realised that and wouldn’t bring him back. He didn’t get half of Matt’s jokes, was talking over him and always a few seconds behind everyone else.

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Is anyone missing Scott Mills at this point or are we all in agreement that Radio 2 is better without him? Never liked him on it and never thought he was the right fit. Hope it’s reflected in the listening views.
I miss him! He's the main reason I've switched from R1 to R2. His music taste and references are generally 90s/ 00s pop culture and that's very much up my street! I'm 34, so sometimes R2 can feel a bit old for me (not into 80s or 70s stuff) so for me Scott is a nice mix between new stuff and my era of nostalgia 😊
Spoony is ok for a bit, but I wouldn't listen if he was on full time.

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
he has an incredibly genuine warmth to him - he’s lovely to listen to because it’s like listening to a friend tell you about their day. just a very natural presenter.

by contrast, i had radio 1 on in the car earlier and the presenter (whoever she was) played lorde’s green light and said “wow that song always makes me think about, like, that feeling when you’re at a green light, waiting to go, you know?” as if that’s not literally what the song is about 🤣
Absolutely and you can't train for that, you either have it or you don't. Dean/Vicky/Nat ect all sound like media students showing off doing an a level radio show for their classmates, I can't believe they're the best in young radio talent the UK has to offer?!
Where do they find them, cause back in the day most of Radio one was made up of ex children's TV presenters!
---
I love Rylan’s presenting style but his club anthems are a bit much for me at that time of the day after the first hour.
Actually I do have to agree with you there! Not a fan of clubby stuff, I would much prefer something like a nostalgic pop segment (like a different year each week) or girl bands/ boy bands of yesteryear ect

Reactions: 5

CrushedIcePlease

VIP Member

Unrelated, Newsbeat is really annoying me with how babyish it’s reporting is. They were talking about David Cameron and instead of introducing him as Foreign Secretary they said something along the lines of the man in government who looks after the uks relations with other countries. I’m sure they did something similar with the chancellor as well, the man in charge of the nations finances rather than his job title
Yes I wondered this when I saw him seeing his dog, he looks really tanned also!

ETA more so than normal 😂
---
THIS!!! This is exactly how I feel too! I can't stand listening to any of it except as you say, Greg and Matt and Molly. Molly irritates me sometimes though too but I like how much fun they seem to have so prefer them together to when Matt is on on his own, yesterday's show Matt was on great form, he seemed almost giddy and was really funny
Yep same here - Greg, Matt and Mollie (just). Vick Hope is actually quite funny but I think she would be better with her own show.
I have to switch over the others - when Greg goes I’ll be done with R1 I think.
It’s telling that they have moved into putting “DJ’s” on in 2s or 3s, like they can’t cope with a show by themselves!

Reactions: 5