Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you think your MIL and FIL are the root of your mental health problems?
No because I have had mental health problems for year beforehand. All I ask is for them to try to understand, which they arent prepared to do. I was told after my suicide attempt to never do it again and to not tell anyone or speak of it again as it will bring shame upon the family 🤦🏻‍♀️ They will never understand and are unwilling to understand, same with my sil, she hasn’t acknowledged my breakdown which she knew about, and is now making out she is depressed and can’t cope and needs help, she has never had mental health problems ever before, and it hurts me that they could even acknowledge my struggle and support my husband and I and know we are all suppose to be there for her. I will support her, and be there for her, but the one person who would understand her the most, is suppose to not know about it, cause they did and keep treating me like tit!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My MIL is very nice to me, but very over emotional over tiny things, always falling out with people that she thinks have wronged her etc. She is divorced from my Partner's father, and remarried, but still is extremely bitter that it didn't work out, and that she has only ever been let down by everyone in her life. She lives away from us, so we don't see her often, and my OH keeps his distance as she is very hard work and draining to talk to as she is so negative, but then she will on occasion go off the rails, drinking and sending nonsensical texts all through the night saying she is out walking and she's in a ditch and nobody cares about her kind of thing. Personally I think she needs help with her mental health, but she won't accept this. It's very hard on my OH when she has these episodes as there's nothing to be said or done at the time, then the next day she either pretends it didn't happen, or brushes it off that she was 'just being silly but she's fine now'.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My MIL is very nice to me, but very over emotional over tiny things, always falling out with people that she thinks have wronged her etc. She is divorced from my Partner's father, and remarried, but still is extremely bitter that it didn't work out, and that she has only ever been let down by everyone in her life. She lives away from us, so we don't see her often, and my OH keeps his distance as she is very hard work and draining to talk to as she is so negative, but then she will on occasion go off the rails, drinking and sending nonsensical texts all through the night saying she is out walking and she's in a ditch and nobody cares about her kind of thing. Personally I think she needs help with her mental health, but she won't accept this. It's very hard on my OH when she has these episodes as there's nothing to be said or done at the time, then the next day she either pretends it didn't happen, or brushes it off that she was 'just being silly but she's fine now'.
Sadly, my mother is just like this. The next day she's on a complete high. She's in her 70s and will never, ever look inwards to see how she might be the cause of most of her issues.

Reactions: 3
Sadly, my mother is just like this. The next day she's on a complete high. She's in her 70s and will never, ever look inwards to see how she might be the cause of most of her issues.
This sounds like my mum 🤦‍♀️ She is a good person and very generous but very bitter still about her and my dad splitting even though it has been almost 20 years now, resents that I lived with him from 15 but fails to see this was because she is a very difficult person to live with especially because of issues with alcohol which she still has. I feel sorry for my partner as she still occasionally will ring me when she’s been drinking and either upset or massively piss me off usually early evening so as to ruin the whole night which he then has to deal with then have no recollection of it the next day 🤦‍♀️ so doesn’t feel the need to apologise even if I spell it out, she’ll say I’m overreacting 🙄

My in-laws are nice although feel as if I should check they still have a pulse at times, I don’t know if they know any other form of conversation other than small talk even with each other!

Reactions: 2
Not as bad as most of these but I thought I’d share . So mine weren’t in laws (thank god) but the dad of an ex clearly hated me, I have no idea why. I said this to my ex and he denied it, one day I was with him at his work bored, and he had been sent a letter by some distant friend of his dads who lived in another country and gave it to me to read.. it was just boring drivel until the point it said “ and before you get serious about this girl your dad doesn’t like I suggest you think about my daughter... ( we had been together about 1.5 years at this point, it was very serious. I questioned him about it and he claimed this woman wasn’t even close to his dad etc... which is even worse as he was clearly just going round bitching about me to everyone. His whole family were nutcases, lucky escape, he was also very violent and he once physically attacked me in front of them and they did nothing. As I said, lucky escape

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Where do I start.. I stayed over for the first time at my inlaws house,we had a meal and the next morning at breakfast she proceeded to ask me if I had been taught any table manners...I hadn't put my cutlery down how she likes and that her and my fil had been worrying about it in bed. She asked my partner to make sure I was on the pill so that I couldn't trap him. I used to have a hat that was like a teddy bear thingy with pompom ears and she told me I couldn't keep wearing stuff like that and should grow up. She once shouted up the stairs to my partner and he shouted back "what?" She replied "don't say what,we don't talk like her and where she's from". I had an emergency csection and her son was useless,I had sepsis and he wasn't there for me at all..totally let me down. She said that I had to except that and grow up because his dad doesn't look after her when she's poorly so why should her son do that for me. Her and the fil turned up about 2 hours after I'd had an emergency csection. It was horrific. Also about 3 weeks pp and while I was really ill and didn't know they came to visit and she sat in my spot (not usually a big deal) but I was clearly situated there as I had all my stuff all my cushions etc. She didn't care. They are all over my son like flies, are over baring,don't listen to my rules or instructions, question every parenting decision I make. Mil literally won't leave my son alone! The worst part is my partner doesn't ever stick up for me,just tells me I should ignore it like he does. I actually refused to see her at one point and would go out if they came around.

Also they look after out son on a Thursday (well did pre covid) and when I get home the house is trashed! Toys everywhere,floors dirty from shoes,food all in the sink and floors, food all over the sofa. So when I get in at 6 from a full day at work and with a 1 year old to sort for bed and have to get my tea sorted I have to clean too. I am grateful they have him but they are so disrespectful of my home.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Where do I start.. I stayed over for the first time at my inlaws house,we had a meal and the next morning at breakfast she proceeded to ask me if I had been taught any table manners...I hadn't put my cutlery down how she likes and that her and my fil had been worrying about it in bed. She asked my partner to make sure I was on the pill so that I couldn't trap him. I used to have a hat that was like a teddy bear thingy with pompom ears and she told me I couldn't keep wearing stuff like that and should grow up. She once shouted up the stairs to my partner and he shouted back "what?" She replied "don't say what,we don't talk like her and where she's from". I had an emergency csection and her son was useless,I had sepsis and he wasn't there for me at all..totally let me down. She said that I had to except that and grow up because his dad doesn't look after her when she's poorly so why should her son do that for me. Her and the fil turned up about 2 hours after I'd had an emergency csection. It was horrific. Also about 3 weeks pp and while I was really ill and didn't know they came to visit and she sat in my spot (not usually a big deal) but I was clearly situated there as I had all my stuff all my cushions etc. She didn't care. They are all over my son like flies, are over baring,don't listen to my rules or instructions, question every parenting decision I make. Mil literally won't leave my son alone! The worst part is my partner doesn't ever stick up for me,just tells me I should ignore it like he does. I actually refused to see her at one point and would go out if they came around.

Also they look after out son on a Thursday (well did pre covid) and when I get home the house is trashed! Toys everywhere,floors dirty from shoes,food all in the sink and floors, food all over the sofa. So when I get in at 6 from a full day at work and with a 1 year old to sort for bed and have to get my tea sorted I have to clean too. I am grateful they have him but they are so disrespectful of my home.
This is horrible, and no offence but this doesn’t sound like just an in laws issue, your partner doesn’t sound at all supportive either ..

Reactions: 6
I need advice. We had our first post lockdown visit to my in laws last weekend.
As we went to leave my mother in law said to my son "granny would love you to stay but mummy and daddy wont let you".
This isn't the first time she's spoke in this manipulative way to our son in front of us.
Its a very toxic household and I HATE it so much i really dont know what to do.im so depressed. My husband says he wants to move away to get away from them but my son is starting school son and other than my in laws we have a lovely life where we are.
In fact we discussed this and said aside from them we literally feel we have the perfect lives.
I really can't live like this anymore,I've posted here before about them there's a lot of history of narcissistic behavior from my MIL and bullying and I really dont want to go over it again.
Any advice please...im just so so drained 😪

• Sad
Reactions: 1
As we went to leave my mother in law said to my son "granny would love you to stay but mummy and daddy wont let you".
This isn't the first time she's spoke in this manipulative way to our son in front of us.
Its a very toxic household and I HATE it so much i really dont know what to do.im so depressed. My husband says he wants to move away to get away from them but my son is starting school son and other than my in laws we have a lovely life where we are.
In fact we discussed this and said aside from them we literally feel we have the perfect lives.
I really can't live like this anymore,I've posted here before about them there's a lot of history of narcissistic behavior from my MIL and bullying and I really dont want to go over it again.
Give them one last warning and then cut them off without a second glance if they don't comply

Could you limit contact with them until you cut them off completely? If you're husband is on the same page then that's a good start.

My ex husbands family were completely insane. They loathed me from day one and I had ten years of complete misery if they were involved. I think even now after a few years of being divorced, I haven’t dealt with it properly as I go through phases of being really angry that I let them treat me that way, and then other days I just have to laugh at how comical their behaviour was. Where to start... One of the most bizarre things, (not the worst), was when we were on holiday having our breakfast at our hotel, and his mum pulled out Tupperware and started cramming it with food from buffet breakfast. I saw the staff notice and just stare at her in disbelief, I wanted the ground to swallow me up! They were really, really tight and would do anything to save a few pounds, her reasoning was why should she pay for lunches when we were out and about when they could feed her for free?! Also the hotel we stayed in was really old and for some reason air conditioning wasn’t included in the room rate - his parents wouldn’t even pay an additional £15 for the week in the middle of August, in Greece as they said it was too expensive! I get that people have only so much money etc., but they earned decent money, and his mum wouldn’t think twice if it was for a litre of vodka! They also refused to stay in the hotel we got married at, as they said we’d chosen somewhere too expensive and was a waste of money, but it only saved about £20. Our marriage had massive issues away from them, but I felt so much relief to be signing the divorce papers as I was escaping them too.

• Wow
My ex husbands family were completely insane. They loathed me from day one and I had ten years of complete misery if they were involved. I think even now after a few years of being divorced, I haven’t dealt with it properly as I go through phases of being really angry that I let them treat me that way, and then other days I just have to laugh at how comical their behaviour was. Where to start... One of the most bizarre things, (not the worst), was when we were on holiday having our breakfast at our hotel, and his mum pulled out Tupperware and started cramming it with food from buffet breakfast. I saw the staff notice and just stare at her in disbelief, I wanted the ground to swallow me up! They were really, really tight and would do anything to save a few pounds, her reasoning was why should she pay for lunches when we were out and about when they could feed her for free?! Also the hotel we stayed in was really old and for some reason air conditioning wasn’t included in the room rate - his parents wouldn’t even pay an additional £15 for the week in the middle of August, in Greece as they said it was too expensive! I get that people have only so much money etc., but they earned decent money, and his mum wouldn’t think twice if it was for a litre of vodka! They also refused to stay in the hotel we got married at, as they said we’d chosen somewhere too expensive and was a waste of money, but it only saved about £20. Our marriage had massive issues away from them, but I felt so much relief to be signing the divorce papers as I was escaping them too.
My father in law picked a massive row with a poor waitress in a restaurant cos she hasn't asked if he was gluten intolerant or not?!?!?!? I was MORTIFIED I swore that night I would never go for another meal with them again....unfortunately I have had to but he hasn't done it again. I almost walked out.... thank god my husband called him out on it. Couldn't get him to apologise to her thou,so we left her a separate tip and apologised on his behalf. Dick.

• Wow
Hi, just wondered how you are? Has your situation improved at all?

• Heart
Hi, just wondered how you are? Has your situation improved at all?
It has improved in that we have just put the foot down on a lot of things and do things on our terms now. Will never be easy but think this is the only way to make things slightly better! I wouldn't ever stop her from seeing her grandson but I don't want us all suffering just to give her what she wants so it's a balancing act!
Thank you so much for asking xx

• Heart
My MIL (don't actually call her that and never will) and some of the family are just weird. They hardly ever talk and you have to talk to them first. A few years ago we was talking about children and he must have mentioned it to her and she told him to enjoy his life first.

She's also incredibly lazy and expects everyone to do everything for her. I cannot stand her and try to avoid her as much as I can. I can imagine if we have children, she will interfere with names and things like that.

There's so much more but I don't want to add just incase someone ever found me on here 😂

• Haha
My partner's mum is a control freak. Expects everyone to fall into line, do as she says and wants. And she's a guilt tripper. I can't stand the woman. Lots of mean spirited incidents too. Got a bad vibe off her from the outset, but made an effort. Have since seen really horrible emails she's written about me, and now I try my best to avoid her like the plague. Told partner he can invite her over when he likes, but I'm not going down to hers to visit. Luckily she lives three hours away.

Partner doesn't really stand up to her, just moans about how difficult she is. Always defends her when I point out the horrible things she's said / done.

His dad is lovely, and her husband is also nice. I don't know how either of them put up with her.

This is horrible, and no offence but this doesn’t sound like just an in laws issue, your partner doesn’t sound at all supportive either ..
Ex partner, very much an ex 😂 yeah he was awful . God knows why I stayed with him so long

My MIL (don't actually call her that and never will) and some of the family are just weird. They hardly ever talk and you have to talk to them first. A few years ago we was talking about children and he must have mentioned it to her and she told him to enjoy his life first.

She's also incredibly lazy and expects everyone to do everything for her. I cannot stand her and try to avoid her as much as I can. I can imagine if we have children, she will interfere with names and things like that.

There's so much more but I don't want to add just incase someone ever found me on here 😂
Telling someone to enjoy their life before having children especially with the way the world is now isn’t a bad thing imo

• Heart
Telling someone to enjoy their life before having children especially with the way the world is now isn’t a bad thing imo
I totally agree, and we do enjoy our life but if we wanted a baby that's our choice and she should be happy for us. She's a very negative person and is never positive about anything in life.

Reactions: 1