Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine is absolutely not as bad as some of yours but she really boils my blood at times.
When I had my child 6 years ago she pulled a load of my husbands baby stuff from her loft that she expected me to use, things like plastic beakers etc - my husband was 38 at the time 🤢
She talks with her mouth full
Has decorated a bedroom at her house for my little one to try and encourage her over there as much as possible
She knows I hate football so really tries to wind me up when she knows my husband will be watching it, so much so that I left our group WhatsApp the other day because she wouldnt stop.
Despite me telling her very politely that I dont like people turning up unannounced at my home she keeps just turning up!
She worked full time but allowed her husband and sons to treat her like a skivvy around the house so I have had to train my husband to do housework.
And finally insists on parenting my children over the top of us

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Our relationship with my SIL is just getting worse. My in laws all live about an hour and a half away and due to current circumstances we obviously haven't seen them so I came up with the idea of doing a weekly video call between us, my FIL and MIL, BIL and SIL so they could mainly see the kids and to also try and fix the relationships. Every week my SIL either has some kind of issue and arrives to the call late, she then ignores the kids and makes no effort, at times she has also made multiple excuses why she can't make it or just hasn't bothered taking part at all. If things aren't on her terms she isn't interested and I'm ready to loose it with her

Reactions: 1
I have had quite crappy luck with MIL’s... on your my 2nd and she’s worse than the first!
First MIL ... I actually think she was in love with my ex and his brother. It was all verrrrry weird. An ex partner of hers told me (after I’d split with my ex)) that she used to tell him about how she felt sad to know he was married which meant he’d be having sex with another woman 😳😳😳😳 WTF!!! She also used to wash her other sons hair for him when he was in the bath.. he was 21.
My current MIL... where do I start. She’s a vindictive, spiteful nasty piece of work who blatantly favours her daughters children over ours.
When we got engaged she asked my husband if he’d meant to propose or was he drunk... despite him buying a ring months in advance and planning a holiday around the whole event.
When we got married, she got steaming drunk and proceeded to follow my mum around at the evening reception throwing abuse at her and was overheard in the toilets saying it would’ve have been such a nicer day had he married his ex..
When we finally announced our first pregnancy (after an ectopic pregnancy and IVF) she was very blasé and when asked what she’d like to be called.. nanna, gran etc, she replied ‘none, but it’s clearly gone too far for that now’...
My husband worked away for the first 6 months of our sons life and when we visited out of duty.. she asked if my husband had missed our son adding ‘I bet you’d have missed him more if he was a girl’..
Honestly, the list is endless but I’m currently on holiday, on a sun lounger next to my husband and can feel myself getting cross so I’m leaving it there!!!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
Our relationship with my SIL is just getting worse. My in laws all live about an hour and a half away and due to current circumstances we obviously haven't seen them so I came up with the idea of doing a weekly video call between us, my FIL and MIL, BIL and SIL so they could mainly see the kids and to also try and fix the relationships. Every week my SIL either has some kind of issue and arrives to the call late, she then ignores the kids and makes no effort, at times she has also made multiple excuses why she can't make it or just hasn't bothered taking part at all. If things aren't on her terms she isn't interested and I'm ready to loose it with her
I can sort of see this from her point of view as well. I wouldnt want to be bothered with this either and some people don't like this type of communication. Sorry its upsetting you though. If she really cant be bothered all you can do is be basically polite if you have to see her. If she doesn't want to know then just forget her.

Reactions: 7
not really a horror story, but the first time I met my MIL I had just been prescribed really strong pain killers for 4 prolapsed discs. Was stood in the kitchen chatting to her, next thing I felt sick and dizzy, I puked, fainted and bashed my head on the work top and knocked myself out. They had to phone an ambulance and clean up my vomit from their kitchen floor. She still loves me though 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Is it just me or is it something to do with mothers being jealous of their daughters in law for taking attention away from their son? You don't hear as many stories from fathers in law

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can sort of see this from her point of view as well. I wouldnt want to be bothered with this either and some people don't like this type of communication. Sorry its upsetting you though. If she really cant be bothered all you can do is be basically polite if you have to see her. If she doesn't want to know then just forget her.
She's very happy to do calls with other family and said she was looking forward to seeing them but has then been like that, she's like it with them in person too when it was my daughters 1st birthday last year she came and just sat down and ignored everyone didn't even say hello and made everyone there feel awkward.

Everything with her has just built up over the years for some reason she has an issue with me and my husband and she's now starting to take it out on 2 innocent kids which isn't sitting well with me.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
She's very happy to do calls with other family and said she was looking forward to seeing them but has then been like that, she's like it with them in person too when it was my daughters 1st birthday last year she came and just sat down and ignored everyone didn't even say hello and made everyone there feel awkward.

Everything with her has just built up over the years for some reason she has an issue with me and my husband and she's now starting to take it out on 2 innocent kids which isn't sitting well with me.
I'd just have nothing furthermore to do with her then. She shouldnt have come to your daughters birthday if she really couldn't be bothered. At the end of the day you cant flog a dead horse and some people just get off on being nasty.

Is it just me or is it something to do with mothers being jealous of their daughters in law for taking attention away from their son? You don't hear as many stories from fathers in law
My ex's dad told me to say I hit my head on a kitchen cupboard after years of domestic violence in which his son had strangled, kicked me and then head butted me with that much force he split my forehead open!
I don't think you can get worse than him!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My ex's dad told me to say I hit my head on a kitchen cupboard after years of domestic violence in which his son had strangled, kicked me and then head butted me with that much force he split my forehead open!
Jesus. That's horrific. I'm sorry you had to go through that

Reactions: 2
God I thought I was the only one with a crazy MIL. When me and my now husband first moved in together we rented a flat one village over - she cried and said we were moving there because we didn’t like her. Two years later we moved to the city to be closer to our jobs - she cried for hours to husbands sister saying we didn’t want anything to do with her. We travel over an hour every other weekend to visit her, she has been to our house once in 4 years!!! If we have children in the future I really don’t think I could leave them with her - she smokes inside and has asked on numerous occasions if she can smoke in our house!!! Obviously the answer is NO! She refuses to insure and MOT her car as she thinks it’s a waste of money but is happy to spend £100 on a glass ornament.

Just to add to the above she is constantly being threatened last notices for bills and proudly hangs the letters on the notice board in her hallway for all to see! I always pretend I haven’t noticed them,

• Wow
  • Haha
My sister in law booked her wedding the day after mine after a year of mine being booked .. they really couldn’t see the problem 🙄oh and my mil sat in the father of the bride seat so my dad had to sit 4 rows behind 😡

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
The problem I have is my FiL treating my son and daughter differently. When daughter passed driving test & went to uni he gave her some money to help out. When son reached these milestones he got nothing. Obvious difference in cost of birthday and Christmas presents in fact this year son got nothing.
I feel so hurt for my son but he just shrugs it off but I know it must hurt him. I know its only money but I just don't get why he does it. I've not said anything to prevent an argument but I dont have much to do with him as I feel so bitter.
My Nanna did that with my brother and I but the other way round - she had three sons and was obsessed with them and then my brother. My Mum used to top up any difference in money or buy extra sweets on the side so that I didn’t have less than my brother. Never got my head round it. I have two children (5 years apart) and passed the teenage years and I still add up their Christmas presents so they have the same amount and with rarely a difference in money either. I have loads of MIL/SIL horror (quite distressing) stories but I’ll end up winding myself up!!

• Heart
Jesus. That's horrific. I'm sorry you had to go through that
It took me a good few to emotionally and mentally get over the abuse even now some words still cut. But I have to pity them as anyone who defends a domestic abuser is just as bad as them.

Reactions: 2
Bastards, I hope you are alright now.

I read these and my blood is boiling. I HATE my in laws with a passion - posted mine a few pages back. I wish they’d all just duck off and disappear. I hate all in laws because of this thread. They’re all twats.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Thankfully I basically don’t have a MIL. My boyfriends mum called the police one day and she told them he pushed her down the stairs when really she’d just been drinking as usual (alcoholic) and fallen down by accident. My boyfriend was 10 at the time and he has no relationship with her whatsoever. I wouldn’t want our daughter near her.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Bastards, I hope you are alright now.
I am now thank you.... I'll never understand how they supported his actions and blamed me. But they have to live with that decision and there actions mean they hardly see there grandchild.

Because of quarantine my relationship with my MIL has not been too bad, which I was happy about.

She recently had a big birthday though and you wouldn’t believe the carry on about getting her a present.. it was like she was self sabotaging, just to prove a point (to herself, us, I don’t know!) Saying that it would be the worst thing in the world to go to a fancy shop and buy an X, then the day before we went for her present saying she’d always wanted an X, so we arranged it with the place we were buying from (as X was what we wanted to get in the first place), then when we got there, X was too much and she didn’t want it. My other half and her husband basically had to beg her to agree to it, and when she finally did she couldn’t stop crying with happiness. 😡

Why would you do that?? She’s such a martyr about stuff, but now I can see the mind games and what a hypocrite she is (because she’s never been one to expect expensive gifts - which was a dig at me, although that’s not true anymore 😉) - at least I can bring it up if she’s getting on my nerves 😅 glad to get that off my chest.

Because of quarantine my relationship with my MIL has not been too bad, which I was happy about.

She recently had a big birthday though and you wouldn’t believe the carry on about getting her a present.. it was like she was self sabotaging, just to prove a point (to herself, us, I don’t know!) Saying that it would be the worst thing in the world to go to a fancy shop and buy an X, then the day before we went for her present saying she’d always wanted an X, so we arranged it with the place we were buying from (as X was what we wanted to get in the first place), then when we got there, X was too much and she didn’t want it. My other half and her husband basically had to beg her to agree to it, and when she finally did she couldn’t stop crying with happiness. 😡

Why would you do that?? She’s such a martyr about stuff, but now I can see the mind games and what a hypocrite she is (because she’s never been one to expect expensive gifts - which was a dig at me, although that’s not true anymore 😉) - at least I can bring it up if she’s getting on my nerves 😅 glad to get that off my chest.
My fil was whining cos his birthday was at the start of lockdown and he wanted us and the grandkids to go and see him on his birthday (I refused on the grounds of lockdown) because he wanted all the attention and to feel 'special ' . It ended up being quite a few of us had birthdays during lockdown.

Reactions: 3