Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My fil was whining cos his birthday was at the start of lockdown and he wanted us and the grandkids to go and see him on his birthday (I refused on the grounds of lockdown) because he wanted all the attention and to feel 'special ' . It ended up being quite a few of us had birthdays during lockdown.
All but one of my immediate family had lockdown birthdays too 😂 you just have to get over it don’t you! My other half couldn’t take my birthday off so whilst he worked all day in the kitchen I spent my day minuting a work meeting then watching movies on the sofa 🤦🏻‍♀️ You get over it though don’t you? No point feeling sorry for yourself and putting loved ones in awkward positions.

Reactions: 3
All but one of my immediate family had lockdown birthdays too 😂 you just have to get over it don’t you! My other half couldn’t take my birthday off so whilst he worked all day in the kitchen I spent my day minuting a work meeting then watching movies on the sofa 🤦🏻‍♀️ You get over it though don’t you? No point feeling sorry for yourself and putting loved ones in awkward positions.
He's the oldest, he's had plenty of other birthdays haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2
My MIL is an aggressive drunk. She thinks she is this great mum because she likes to cook and bake a lot (she can't cook) and has odd ideas about what "a woman" is. She was on at my husband the other day about getting me a sewing kit so I can fix his clothes when buttons etc break. He was just like "why wouldn't I fix my own trousers" and she just couldn't understand.

She has abused her husband in the past physically, hitting with lamps, cutlery, all sorts and threatened me with violence before.

She assumes I'm controlling towards her son because basically I've encouraged him to grow a spine and to say No to his family when he doesn't want to do something. It's infuriating. It's got to the point now where I know how much they dislike me so when hubby doesn't want to do something with them I just flat out tell him to blame me and not to worry haha.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Mine definitely isn’t as bad as some on here but I’ve always felt my MIL didn’t like me and it’s been magnified since my son was born. There a million other things that have happened and this probably isn’t the worst but it is the one that bugs me most.

I had a long and traumatic labour with my son who was 2 weeks overdue (started wed afternoon, hosp thurs morning, he wasn’t born till late fri morning). Won’t go into the details but ended in EMCS and I was anemic and treated for Sepsis and sirs. So was pretty unwell for a while. When my son was 2 weeks old she asked me if I’d weighed myself since giving birth and when I said no asked if I was putting it off because I was dreading seeing my weight. Then continued to ask when I was going out running again, told me I was ridiculous when I said doctor told me min 12 weeks and said I should definitely be getting out before that to lose the baby weight. Continued to tell me I needed to start yoga and Pilates to get my figure back and I’d need to get doing stomach exercises to sort my muscles out after the c section.

following week we are invited over for an Indian with my partners brothers and heir girlfriends. I ask for chips instead of rice and I arrive to be told my chips are in the oven. She put on bloody oven chips for me!!!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
following week we are invited over for an Indian with my partners brothers and heir girlfriends. I ask for chips instead of rice and I arrive to be told my chips are in the oven. She put on bloody oven chips for me!!!
That's so disappointing, chips from the Indian takeaway are so nice .

I have had quite crappy luck with MIL’s... on your my 2nd and she’s worse than the first!
First MIL ... I actually think she was in love with my ex and his brother. It was all verrrrry weird. An ex partner of hers told me (after I’d split with my ex)) that she used to tell him about how she felt sad to know he was married which meant he’d be having sex with another woman 😳😳😳😳 WTF!!! She also used to wash her other sons hair for him when he was in the bath.. he was 21.
My current MIL... where do I start. She’s a vindictive, spiteful nasty piece of work who blatantly favours her daughters children over ours.
When we got engaged she asked my husband if he’d meant to propose or was he drunk... despite him buying a ring months in advance and planning a holiday around the whole event.
When we got married, she got steaming drunk and proceeded to follow my mum around at the evening reception throwing abuse at her and was overheard in the toilets saying it would’ve have been such a nicer day had he married his ex..
When we finally announced our first pregnancy (after an ectopic pregnancy and IVF) she was very blasé and when asked what she’d like to be called.. nanna, gran etc, she replied ‘none, but it’s clearly gone too far for that now’...
My husband worked away for the first 6 months of our sons life and when we visited out of duty.. she asked if my husband had missed our son adding ‘I bet you’d have missed him more if he was a girl’..
Honestly, the list is endless but I’m currently on holiday, on a sun lounger next to my husband and can feel myself getting cross so I’m leaving it there!!!
This has got to be one of the worst ones I've read on here 😳

Reactions: 7
I have had quite crappy luck with MIL’s... on your my 2nd and she’s worse than the first!
First MIL ... I actually think she was in love with my ex and his brother. It was all verrrrry weird. An ex partner of hers told me (after I’d split with my ex)) that she used to tell him about how she felt sad to know he was married which meant he’d be having sex with another woman 😳😳😳😳 WTF!!! She also used to wash her other sons hair for him when he was in the bath.. he was 21.
My current MIL... where do I start. She’s a vindictive, spiteful nasty piece of work who blatantly favours her daughters children over ours.
When we got engaged she asked my husband if he’d meant to propose or was he drunk... despite him buying a ring months in advance and planning a holiday around the whole event.
When we got married, she got steaming drunk and proceeded to follow my mum around at the evening reception throwing abuse at her and was overheard in the toilets saying it would’ve have been such a nicer day had he married his ex..
When we finally announced our first pregnancy (after an ectopic pregnancy and IVF) she was very blasé and when asked what she’d like to be called.. nanna, gran etc, she replied ‘none, but it’s clearly gone too far for that now’...
My husband worked away for the first 6 months of our sons life and when we visited out of duty.. she asked if my husband had missed our son adding ‘I bet you’d have missed him more if he was a girl’..
Honestly, the list is endless but I’m currently on holiday, on a sun lounger next to my husband and can feel myself getting cross so I’m leaving it there!!!
Sex with ANOTHER woman?! Doesn’t this imply they had sex?!

• Sick
Reactions: 5
My ex's mother was OBSESSED with me when we first got together (didnt even last a year) and would witch about his exes and say how lovely I was. Would always want me round for dinner/go places together etc.

Her moods were so weird, one evening I went round for dinner and she was snapping at everyone she then announced that she wanted an even number of grandchildren. When she was in these moods she would tell stories about her son and girls that he was close to and make it sound like they were a couple.

I found out he had been messaging an ex of his and photos were exchanged so naturally I hit the roof and caused murder not knowing his mother was waiting outside to pick him up 😶 but she got it into her head I had a miscarriage (I wasn't pregnant???) Or something awful had happened. I said to him that he's going to have to tell her because she wouldnt stop asking him if everything was okay and why we had fallen out - he told me that he had and that she was very upset with him.

I decided the next day to go and see her and apologise for worrying her as I didn't know she was waiting for him and she threw me out! "How dare you treat my son this way" etc 💀 so she obviously didn't know the truth.

A few days went by and he came round to BREAK UP WITH ME because his mum didnt want me anywhere near the family and he would have to lead a double life 🤔

Hes now engaged to someone and I cant help but feel sorry for the poor girl.

I've been with my now partner for almost three years and I haven't met his parents yet 😂 partly because of what happened previously and I've had enough of toxic parents to last me a life time through my own upbringing but they're going through personal circumstances at the moment so it's never been a good time for them.

Reactions: 4
That's so disappointing, chips from the Indian takeaway are so nice .
I was gutted! Ended up dead stressed out and didn’t eat much so brought it home with us. Partner went to the Indian to get me chips to have with it the next night

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I've already shared the story of my second MIL who wore a ankle length white dress to our wedding. She kept showing me she was going to wear a black and red floral number but then turnt up in a long white frock. I was gobsmacked. Thank God it was an intimate Vegas wedding and it was only her and my ex husbands nephew as the guests! It ruined the photos though.

My first ex husband, his parents were generally quite nice to me and they would usually help others, his mum was a devout catholic and would shove it down my throat, deciding we HAD to get married at her local church with a catholic ceremony and invited about 50 of her church friends neither of us knew (I had to do these catholic marriage courses before I was allowed to marry him) - she was much of a hypocrite though and thought she could do what she wanted or judge people however she wanted and and a few hail Marys at night would be OK. They would always get completely sloshed every single night, often having blazing rows - we had to live with them for nearly a whole year while I was pregnant - my ex father in law, in a drunken rage once took a club hammer to his front brick wall in the middle of the night and destroyed the lot.

He had a sister who was a single mum and of course she was the princess who got whatever she wanted, she still called her parents mummy and daddy, she once borrowed my new GHDs and literally laughed about her child breaking them but didnt offer to replace them. He also had two kid brothers who were 10 and 12, they were both morbidly obese and I am talking heart attack tackle, I wasnt suprised. They lived off takeaways. Huge portions too. Every night. Instead of opting to change their diets my father in law bought a treadmill and would have them running on it. The kid brothers for some reason were allowed to dictate every major purchase, it could be anything from a caravan, a holiday, another new telly even the new car. For some reason that would irritate me. They also listened and involved themselves in adult discussions.

The lack of boundaries in that household were terrible. The waste in that house was insane too, one year FIL bought an artificial christmas tree which was beautiful and in the region of about £180... on boxing day he broke it all up and threw it out. I was really pissed off as we had a really old cheap one my mum gave me second hand I rolled out each year and would have loved it! He had even booted his telly out the door when England lost the footie. Only to get a new one the next day.
The kid brothers would destroy everything they owned knowing it would just get replaced anyway, the whole family deemed everything as replaceable and were so careless with everything. It seemed like they had a permanent skip in their front garden for their next lot of waste.

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. But I suppose the few hail Mary's MIL would say every night made it OK.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
This has got to be one of the worst ones I've read on here 😳
She’s unreal... I could write a book about the cruel things she’s done.. nasty, nasty woman.

Sex with ANOTHER woman?! Doesn’t this imply they had sex?!
You know what, looking back I genuinely would not be surprised. She used to do weird things like lay in his bed when he was out “to keep it warm for him“... when I decided to leave the controlling freak she rang me to scream down the phone telling me I was no good for him and going to University was for “loose women” - I decided to go to uni aged 25 and saw how fucked up my life was which gave me the boost to leave him. Best thing I EVER did (as I passed my degree, bought a new house and met my incredible husband (even if my mother in law has formaldehyde for blood and a brick for a heart 😂)

Just recalled that I met my MIL in the supermarket once with my children and she had her other grandchildren with her. As we were briefly chatting (standard pleasantries) a neighbour of hers walked by and asked about the children to which she replied “these are my grandchildren (pointing to her daughters children) and these are ****’s children (pointing to mine). The witch couldn’t even introduce them as her grandchildren ... 😡😡😡😡

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
My MIL wore black to our wedding....!
My MIL said to my Auntie on our wedding day that it wouldn’t last.....18 years later we’ve proved the bint wrong! 4 years ago she gave me the absolute pleasure of proving to my husband that I had been right along about her - we still laugh at our last conversation with her (read that as her just SCREAMING at me!) as she came out with some cracking bollocks. All I felt afterwards was relief after nearly 29 years of crap from her and one of my SILs and that I wouldn’t have to ever see them again (not even their funerals - I’ll support my husband and children all the way but nope, I’ll stay home on that day)

• Wow
There is so so much PIL have done and not seen the problem with. Only recently have I realised the way tor resolve their odd behaviour is to set boundaries. Started as with most people at my wedding. MIL micromanaged everything and constantly harassed us with emails about have you arranged this and that etc. By the end it was though she was getting married not me. I asked husband to organise a taxi in the morning and PIL turned up to take me to the wedding. So upset as my own mum hadn’t seen me yet and my Dad was too unwell to give me away. Queue more micromanagement as MIL presented bridesmaids with matching horrendous ribbons they all had to wear around their waists to ‘tie the look together’. I said no as did most of the bridesmaids except SIL who went along with it and looked so stupid. Similar thing when MIL heard my mum would be doing the flowers she insisted on taking things from my house without permission (I was planning on potentially using them but probably not as they were plastic) and making horrendous plastic flashing light ornaments as table pieces. After the wedding we went on a ‘family moon’ with my ILs and extended family which just happened to be booked the week after the wedding which again was equally tit as I just wanted to spend time with my new husband. Absolutely zero respect for boundaries. Same when I had my baby. Upset couldn’t come to hospital then when I did allow visitors stayed for 12 hours in my home when I just wanted to rest and breastfeed. Intrusive with my parenting style. Criticising shared parental leave. I am a crunchy attachment mum who just stopped breastfeeding my two year old. I’m very happy with what I’m doing but MIL especially wants to play mum again and won’t give my daughter back when she’s upset. This was evident even from her being tiny.
As PIL marriage isn’t great (they barely see each other and bicker constantly) its expected that we will join them on their numerous holidays every year. I hate holidays anyway but perhaps I’d enjoy them more if we didn’t always have to fit in with ridiculous plans of PIL.
I’ve started to say no more and already have plans for if we have another baby. It’s just exhausting constantly having to bat them away and stop them interfering. I don’t think it’s malicious but it’s time for them to cut the cord!

• Wow
  • Sad
My mum and mother in law are best friends. They love each other to death, but since I've had my son, therefore they share a grandchild, there is definitely competition over who is the best grandmother and who spends the most time with him 😂 they turn up at each others houses when one of them is looking after him without invitation and always buys something for my son. I've told them both to stop.
My mother in law isn't a bad person, she just doesn't respect personal space and never takes no for an answer which is irritating. When I was at home with my newborn son, I was lying on the sofa with a migraine trying to sleep after he dropped off. I looked and felt a mess. Next thing I knew, I heard a key turn in the door and "cooeee! Only meeee!" My arse of a husband gave his mum a spare key without telling me, and she interpreted that as letting herself into the house without phoning first. Was so angry at her and my husband too.
She is also the worst driver, and gets defensive and shouts when you try and tell her that she's just cut someone up on a roundabout or parked in between two spaces. I refuse to get in the car with her now.

• Wow
There is so so much PIL have done and not seen the problem with. Only recently have I realised the way tor resolve their odd behaviour is to set boundaries. Started as with most people at my wedding. MIL micromanaged everything and constantly harassed us with emails about have you arranged this and that etc. By the end it was though she was getting married not me. I asked husband to organise a taxi in the morning and PIL turned up to take me to the wedding. So upset as my own mum hadn’t seen me yet and my Dad was too unwell to give me away. Queue more micromanagement as MIL presented bridesmaids with matching horrendous ribbons they all had to wear around their waists to ‘tie the look together’. I said no as did most of the bridesmaids except SIL who went along with it and looked so stupid. Similar thing when MIL heard my mum would be doing the flowers she insisted on taking things from my house without permission (I was planning on potentially using them but probably not as they were plastic) and making horrendous plastic flashing light ornaments as table pieces. After the wedding we went on a ‘family moon’ with my ILs and extended family which just happened to be booked the week after the wedding which again was equally tit as I just wanted to spend time with my new husband. Absolutely zero respect for boundaries. Same when I had my baby. Upset couldn’t come to hospital then when I did allow visitors stayed for 12 hours in my home when I just wanted to rest and breastfeed. Intrusive with my parenting style. Criticising shared parental leave. I am a crunchy attachment mum who just stopped breastfeeding my two year old. I’m very happy with what I’m doing but MIL especially wants to play mum again and won’t give my daughter back when she’s upset. This was evident even from her being tiny.
As PIL marriage isn’t great (they barely see each other and bicker constantly) its expected that we will join them on their numerous holidays every year. I hate holidays anyway but perhaps I’d enjoy them more if we didn’t always have to fit in with ridiculous plans of PIL.
I’ve started to say no more and already have plans for if we have another baby. It’s just exhausting constantly having to bat them away and stop them interfering. I don’t think it’s malicious but it’s time for them to cut the cord!
This is what my own mum is like its draining and you end up not wanting them around atall.

Some of these stories are crazy! I get on pretty well with my in-laws, they have been very generous over the years and welcomed me in from day one. They are divorced, and in the early years my partner and I got together there was definitely competition between them both. MIL was very clingy and at times it felt like there were 3 of us in the relationship - she used to ring him when we were out on date nights or with friends etc, fully knowing we were busy 😂 thankfully she’s realised her little boy is now all grown up! We are currently planning our wedding and we thought she’d be a nightmare, when it’s actually my own mother who has been a pain and I’ve had to put her back in her place a few times haha.

Though the other week MIL did say to me that she can’t wait to retire in 2 years, because by then I will have given her a baby to look after 🙄

• Haha
Genuine question for mums of sons.... Do you think you will struggle seeing your son with a girlfriend or wife?

It seems to be so many stories of mums feeling threatened by their daughter in laws!!!

Genuine question for mums of sons.... Do you think you will struggle seeing your son with a girlfriend or wife?

It seems to be so many stories of mums feeling threatened by their daughter in laws!!!
I don't think I will, i would like to think that I will be a welcoming mother in law, our house already is the designated hang out spot with his friends, I hope that never changes!

Reactions: 1