Bad In-Laws Stories.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had the same thing
im sat with two black eyes a broken cheekbone and god knows how many bruises
she rings me to ask why I’d rang the police on him and why had I had him arrested ‘for fun’
she then informs me I should just ‘put up and shut up’ and ‘stop winding him up’
er,he kept telling me I was cheating-which hand on heart I never did-and when I pointed this out she laughed and told me I should stop seeing my males friends!
the friends that refused to come near me in case they made it worse?!
she then got all his siblings to hound me on every sm platform I had
81 times this happened-on the 81st I binned him
fake cow-I hope she drops dead
I'm sorry for what happened to you and how you was treated. It's sad but true that most mothers stick up for and defend there sons.
Even though the evidence is right in front of them you could hardly injure yourself like that.
For some reason we put up with such awful behaviour but you eventually did find the courage to leave even if it was the 81st time you stood up to him and her. Well done!

Reactions: 3
They the after their mothers and end up being problematic mother-in-laws.vicious cycle
This is true as my ex's sister was awful to me when I left after dv. Even though she hardly made any effort or saw me before she messaged me calling me a liar and that the truth would come out ... how could I lie about him cracking my forehead open when my 3 year old witnessed it!
I hadn't seen or spoken to her in years .. I went shopping a couple of months ago and I saw her from the distance. Made me feel sick and I had to get out of there as soon as possible!

• Sad
My MIL asked for some of our wedding pictures. So I printed some out for her, took them over. She sat flicked through them looking in disgust, then announced to my Husband “your ex girlfriend would have looked much better in these” and “Do I not think I could photoshop them abit”.

She also last time I saw her, gave me a pile of magazine articles she had ripped out all out how to loose weight. I have never mentioned wanting to loose weight to her

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I think like mums, then some sisters are jealous of another woman being in their brothers life, my mum had shitloads of trouble from my stepdads sister back when they first started going out, it was that bad that she wasn’t allowed to their wedding.

Reactions: 5
I think theres a lot to be said for having just a casual relationship with a partner where your not living with them etc and then you don't have to be involved at all with their family. Its also easier to get rid of them if things are not working out. If your married to someone or have a bought house together then it can be a nightmare moving on.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think theres a lot to be said for having just a casual relationship with a partner where your not living with them etc and then you don't have to be involved at all with their family. Its also easier to get rid of them if things are not working out. If your married to someone or have a bought house together then it can be a nightmare moving on.
Plus it’s horrible when you truly love a man and someone he is close to, doesn’t like you, it’s heartbreaking

• Sad
My mother and father in law are delightful, the nicest people. However my brother and sister in law (and their partners)... I honestly have no words to describe them. Not only do they completely ignore the fact my husband exits but they’re just so ignorant and think they’re far better than everyone. They kicked up a fuss at our wedding because they didn’t like how certain things were, and if things weren’t changed they threatened to go home (if we knew about this we would have said goodbye there and then, however my family dealt with this discretely from us to avoid upset). They also couldn’t manage to congratulate us and told my husband the only reason they turned up is to tell him not to break my heart - I mean that’s a “nice” thought but they’ve barely said a word to me in the many years we’ve been together. His sister also said they only reason she came is to see his son - he has other children too but that clearly doesn’t matter.
They are honestly the type of people, that if you’ve been to Tenerife, they’ve been to elevenerife. 🙄

I honestly have so many other things to say about them, I could literally be here all day. I’m just gutted as growing up without a sister I thought it would be nice to finally have a sister in law - god I was wrong.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I’ve met my MIL 4 times in 10 years. The first time she refused to speak to me! She’s ok but we don’t see her much, she’s very intense and has Mh issues she won’t deal with.

FIL has had numerous partners in the last decade, we don’t like the current one!

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Plus it’s horrible when you truly love a man and someone he is close to, doesn’t like you, it’s heartbreaking
That's usually jealousy even if a person was perfect some people just like to be difficult and cause trouble.

Reactions: 1
My ex's mum was a stuck up cow and clearly strongly believed the umbilical cord was still attached to my bf. It's like she was jealous of me for taking her baby away from her :rolleyes:
She had no interest in getting to know me, was always cold towards me and once when she saw me and my bf walking around Tesco she accused me of "dragging him around the shop" and was really pissed off with it. Then one night he was at my house and snow was forecast so she demanded he came home incase he got snowed in at mine. Stupid cow - he was 24!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
My ex's mum was a stuck up cow and clearly strong believed the umbilical cord was still attached to my bf. It's like she was jealous of me for taking her baby away from her :rolleyes:
She had no interest in getting to know me, was always cold towards me and once when she saw me and my bf walking around Tesco she accused me of "dragging him around the shop" and was really pissed off with it. Then one night he was at my house and snow was forecast so she demanded he came home incase he got snowed in at mine. Stupid cow - he was 24!
Wow she sounds just like my MIL. She was cold towards me to at first and said she was losing her son. My bf was once at mine and his car broke down as he was about to leave so he texted his mum to say he would stay at mine that night. She flew off the handle and said she would send a taxi to pick him up. He was 24 at the time too.

• Haha
  • Wow
My ex’s parents are taking me to court for access, despite me never stopping it and giving them as much as they want...
Their reason - pre-emptively addressing me stopping access because their son has decided he doesn’t want to see my daughter anymore.
10 grand later and still having pointless conversations via solicitors.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
My friend's MiL is a nightmare. She got drunk the night before their wedding and got into an argument with her about how she was "stealing her boy" from her.
They had a baby a few years later and they found out they were having a girl. When my friend went into labour, the husband rung his mum to say what was going on. She asked if she could come to the hospital (she lived an hour and a half away) and he said no as there could only be him and my friend's mum there as birthing partners (pre-covid obviously). She then said she would just stay at their house until she could go to the hospital but my friend's husband said no, stay where you are as we dont know how long she will be in labour, or what will happen etc.
She turned up at the hospital anyway and rung my friend's husband so he left the room so he could chat to her and she said she was stood down the hall. So he went out to see her and got guilt tripped into letting her go into the room where my friend was having the worst contractions. But the midwives wouldnt let my friends husband back in until she left because it was only 2 people in. Apparently she made awkward conversation for 30 mins and then my friend's mum said that they had better let the husband back in (which the MiL took offense at).
So the husband then had to sort out getting her a key for their house and stuff because she decided she was staying over until the baby was here.
When the baby had been born and it was visiting hours, she turned up, took one look at the new baby and said "so when are you trying for a boy?"!!

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I have boys. I hope I never become one of those crazy fuckers when/if I become a MIL one day 😂 😬

Reactions: 7
Not my MIL, but a family member of mine split up with her brand new hubby on their wedding night because his mum wasn’t happy with a joke that was made during the father of the bride’s speech aimed at his parents and he sided with his mum.. oh to have been a fly on the wall in that honeymoon suite!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Where do I start!

My mum died when I was a teen. MIL did a mother of the bride board on Pinterest for herself and didn’t see anything wrong with it.

There’s too much to list tbh. We’ve cut contact since and she’s even had random neighbours ring us (including the night we brought our son home from hospital) which is weird as duck.

Also told my other half to basically sack me off for her because he has known his mother longer than me. Despite me justgiving birth to his son and about to get wed.

• Wow
Me and my partner have been together since we were 14, she used to do silly things like hide his laptop and phone chargers so he couldn't speak to me as I "stole her right hand man"
We've since had 2 children, she turned up to the hospital at 3am drunk as a skunk after I had my first and caused a scene.
She's honestly the most self obsessed person I've ever met, we could be talking about something completely random and she always finds a way to get the conversation back to about her.
She was staying with us last year and she brought back a random one night stand when my children were sleeping upstairs (gross and so so unsafe).
She's since moved out and is engaged to a man she met 5 months ago.
I could literally go on and on 😂😂

• Wow
  • Haha
I think for those who have a MiL as a result of marrying or partnering up with her son, the resentment started on day 1 ... they feel as if we've "stolen" them away. Oh well.

I always used to get so upset when we'd have my husband's folks over for dinner and his mother would wait until she got me in the kitchen alone and offer "advice" on how I could have done the xyz better. Or start coughing part-way through the meal and say there was too much of x ingredient in there. Even if we got takeaways she'd find an issue. I just wish she hadn't said anything. She was a trailblazing solicitor back in the day so is very sharp; I think if she used her skills and experience to mentor people she would be much happier with her lot. Instead, she just looks for ways to be miserable.

Reactions: 5
A daughter is a friend for life, a husband is a friend until his wife.
And for that reason alone, a mother in law will always resent a daughter in law.
I really don't get this, my MIL is wonderful and treats myself and my sis in law the same as her own daughter - she saw her sons getting married as gaining two new daughters rather than losing her sons. Most probably don't realise that they only create their own problems by acting resentful from the outset.

• Heart