Baby Reindeer Netflix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If Martha is the fictionalised version of the real person and as RG has said she would struggle to recognise herself - all things being different. The Darrin character is likely to be the same - someone in the entertainment industry but likely not a writer.

I’d like to see the viral clip referenced in the show. That should be somewhere in the internets.
I actually think the viral clip referenced in the show is fictionalised (he’s said elements of the story are), and is actually based on his stage shows - he did a stage show about the sexual assault and a later one about the stalking, and both are combined in this series. He did get quite a bit of publicity for the shows and at least one of them won awards, so I took it that he reframed this as the viral clip for dramatic purposes.

Reactions: 4
That person could have just saved themselves the effort of typing that thread out and us the time of reading it because what exactly is their point?

At no point have I seen RG try to come across as a spectacular, completely healed human being who is incapable of doing any wrong.

It definitely seems like someone trying to get their 15 minutes of fame off the back of the hype about the show and it stinks.

Reactions: 65
I’d take that Twitter thread with a giant side-order of salt. Person A & Person B went on a couple of dates, they didn’t hit it off, their personalities did not align, nothing happened between them, they went their separate ways. Person A’s therapist offers a remote diagnosis of Person B despite having never met them and based solely on hearsay. Person B acquires a degree of fame/acclaim, Person A recounts the non-story of the nothing much that didn’t happen between them. 😐

Reactions: 61
I’d take that Twitter thread with a giant side-order of salt. Person A & Person B went on a couple of dates, they didn’t hit it off, their personalities did not align, nothing happened between them, they went their separate ways. Person A’s therapist offers a remote diagnosis of Person B despite having never met them and based solely on hearsay. Person B acquires a degree of fame/acclaim, Person A recounts the non-story of the nothing much that didn’t happen between them. 😐
Person A is also linking that thread onto other posts raving about the show.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I’m conflicted about it tbh.

I think it’s self-indulgent and maybe a little opportunistic.

But I also think that is IS inappropriate for someone who is making a show to go on dates with someone who is auditioning to be in the show before the cast has been decided. I don’t think it’s abusive with a capital A but it’s off. There was a feature in Pop witch about it that implied he’d done it a few times.

obviously, it’s how a lot of people meet in the industry but…just wait until casting is over?

I think the diagnosing and desperation to appear intelligent and fair by the poster is irritating. She should’ve just said “I’m annoyed that people are singing his praises because he did this to me and it sucks.”

• Heart
Reactions: 23
All the her therapist said this and that, irrelevant and boring.

But I do find the the parts about the claimed fetishisation, messed up power dynamic and gaslighting interesting. Will be interesting to see if anything else comes out, maybe something that can be backed up and has more substance.

Reactions: 5
I’m conflicted about it tbh.

I think it’s self-indulgent and maybe a little opportunistic.

But I also think that is IS inappropriate for someone who is making a show to go on dates with someone who is auditioning to be in the show before the cast has been decided. I don’t think it’s abusive with a capital A but it’s off. There was a feature in Pop witch about it that implied he’d done it a few times.

obviously, it’s how a lot of people meet in the industry but…just wait until casting is over?

I think the diagnosing and desperation to appear intelligent and fair by the poster is irritating. She should’ve just said “I’m annoyed that people are singing his praises because he did this to me and it sucks.”
I think he clearly has issues with boundaries (to put it mildly), if even a fraction of the series is true.
But it still doesn’t seem that there’s much of an exposé there.

Reactions: 8
There was a feature in Pop witch about it that implied he’d done it a few times.
No, there wasn’t. There was a piece in PopBitch which alleged that an unnamed writer/comedian had used the casting process for a tv show as a means of getting dates.

RG was not named. No one was named.
---
Person A is also linking that thread onto other posts raving about the show.
Gosh, who’d have thought to raise their social media/industry profile by hitching their non-story to the current RG success train? Probably not Reece, that’s for sure. 😐

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
No, there wasn’t. There was a piece in PopBitch which alleged that an unnamed writer/comedian had used the casting process for a tv show as a means of getting dates.

RG was not named. No one was named.
---
Okay. Sorry. There was an item in Pop witch that mentioned someone doing the exact thing that the poster has said he did here.

Reactions: 1
some comments indicate this is not an isolated issue either
Not sure what the problems are here. It just seems like two people dated for a bit and it didn’t work out. I think many of us date when we probably should take a step back and ground ourselves rather than find some kind of distraction or resolution with another person. From what she wrote I don’t think that his behaviour came across as inappropriate. It he had used the audition as a way of getting her in to bed then yes of course. I just get the impression that this is two people sizing each other up as potential bf/gf material. We all do or did that surely?

Reactions: 16
Not sure what the problems are here. It just seems like two people dated for a bit and it didn’t work out. I think many of us date when we probably should take a step back and ground ourselves rather than find some kind of distraction or resolution with another person. From what she wrote I don’t think that his behaviour came across as inappropriate. It he had used the audition as a way of getting her in to bed then yes of course. I just get the impression that this is two people sizing each other up as potential bf/gf material. We all do or did that surely?
I don’t think it’s a huge scandal and didn’t share it to create one. However I DO think it’s inappropriate to date someone who is auditioning for a show you’re making before casting has been finalised. It’s not an unforgivable act and I don’t think it’s career ruining but it is inappropriate. Like going for a job interview and the interviewer asking you out.
It’s obviously rife in the industry and he won’t be the first or last to do it but it is off.

Reactions: 10
i googled her name and stalker and an article came up about who she was originally stalking

• Wow
Reactions: 12
On the topic of all this being based on real events (as Netflix advertises) or not; doesn’t Richard Gadd say it’s more of an emotional retelling rather than an factual one? With the facts changed in a way that the real Martha wouldn’t necessarily recognize herself? I don’t think people are meant to take everything that’s shown in the series as an exact version of what happened to him. That’s just how I understood it though.
Considering he is playing himself how could she possibly not recognise that it’s about her?

Death or some sort of secure hospital seem most likely, or, there is no ‘real Martha.’

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.