Baby Reindeer Netflix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anybody think it might come out that the whole things made up to gain more publicity? Saying it really happened makes people more curious to watch?
Pretty traumatic story full stop to re-enact on screen in the name of entertainment though
I find this hard to believe to a certain extent, I think somethings have definitely been changed slightly/ modified, but I'm more discussing episode 4 :/
Maybe it's just because I am a very emotional and to a certain extent traumatized person from my personal experience and I therefore feel an attachment to the episode, but I could not in anyway shape or form do anything to resemble this experience

Reactions: 1
I think what happened re SA did genuinely happen. I don't think Richard Gadd would embellish that cos what would he have to gain from it? I have also seen alot of commentary on why did he do this or why did he do that, everyone processes trauma differently and everyone reacts to situations differently. I might react one way you could react completely differently doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 31
What a profoundly unusual programme. He’s out there doing the press rounds talking about doing it and what it’s like doing it. Never mentions embellishment.

I wound through some of ep 4. Muscle relaxer a clanging clanging defcon 1 alarm.

The emails used in the show are the actual emails sent from "Martha" to Gadd! Source: a clip of an interview I saw him in on Tiktok.

Which makes me wonder, as he says the situation is now "resolved" whether the real Martha could have since passed away. Otherwise she would know for sure it's about her. Would also explain why he's keen to keep her name out of things, maybe in respect for her family? Just a thought.

Reactions: 18
Which makes me wonder, as he says the situation is now "resolved" whether the real Martha could have since passed away. Otherwise she would know for sure it's about her. Would also explain why he's keen to keep her name out of things, maybe in respect for her family? Just a thought.
If it is as true as the writer says, she’d know for sure it’s about her anyway as he’s playing himself in the show, and she knows who she stalked. If he’d been played by someone that she might have had some doubts.

I’m amazed the real identities of Martha & Darrien haven’t come out yet. There are not many secrets on the comedy circuit, it’s a pretty insular environment.

Reactions: 8
Though I do think there’s a good chance ‘Martha’ is dead, otherwise it does seem very risky to risk reanimating the whole thing. 😬

Reactions: 22
I binge watched it and really enjoyed it. I loved how all of the characters were nuanced. I get how the stalker was awful and why people would say "why didn't you just tell her to go away" but I also pitied her like the main character did.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Anybody think it might come out that the whole things made up to gain more publicity? Saying it really happened makes people more curious to watch?
Pretty traumatic story full stop to re-enact on screen in the name of entertainment though
A few years ago I saw his one man show that this show is based on. Seeing him talk about it all as Richard Gadd, not as a character, I can honestly say it didn't feel at all embellished. But obvs never say never.

Reactions: 9
There’s already a thread going round on Twitter about how Richard Gadd behaved inappropriately with someone who auditioned to play his gf on the show

• Wow
Reactions: 7
We binge watched it last night and it is worth watching. Not only deals with the stalker issue but also examines self worth in both the stalker, her victim and others associated with him. I agree with others that it does take a very dark turn just over halfway through but it is worth sticking with.
Quite remarkable that he chose to play himself, not sure if that was a good idea or not. Also his material as a comedian was very poor. Not sure if he was deliberately playing down his comedic abilities but I would have tried to make the material a little more amusing. His was just awful.
Overall a very interesting take on the human condition that will strike a chord with many.

Reactions: 13
On the topic of all this being based on real events (as Netflix advertises) or not; doesn’t Richard Gadd say it’s more of an emotional retelling rather than an factual one? With the facts changed in a way that the real Martha wouldn’t necessarily recognize herself? I don’t think people are meant to take everything that’s shown in the series as an exact version of what happened to him. That’s just how I understood it though.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We binge watched it last night and it is worth watching. Not only deals with the stalker issue but also examines self worth in both the stalker, her victim and others associated with him. I agree with others that it does take a very dark turn just over halfway through but it is worth sticking with.
Quite remarkable that he chose to play himself, not sure if that was a good idea or not. Also his material as a comedian was very poor. Not sure if he was deliberately playing down his comedic abilities but I would have tried to make the material a little more amusing. His was just awful.
Overall a very interesting take on the human condition that will strike a chord with many.
I think he was taking the piss with his comedy act. I thought it was funny he was so bad!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.