Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Gadd and Netflix could say though that it's about Donny and Martha, not Richard and Fiona so maybe that's how they can avoid paying out. Who knows. It's all getting a bit boring now. I bet she misses spouting off so I'm sure she's found other avenues to rant and vent.

Reactions: 15

evoway13

VIP Member
Imo, it's a lot different if, as the article says, she was already a regular (didn't go in there only to see Gadd), sat at a table in the corner (didn't go to sit at the bar to be close to him, for the whole of his shift), only went in 2 or 3 times a week (not every day), didn't get anything free off him.
Fiona says she only met him 2-3 times 😂 .......yet he supposedly recorded her 350 times in the Hawley (Fiona's 'explanation' behind the 350 voicemails)

• Haha

Dr Karen Kim

Richard Gadd's ex-colleague says his 'stalker' was targeted as a joke

Well you could say that joke backfired, but he has what he wanted, fame. I thought it would be a matter of time until witnesses started coming forward.

marymac19

VIP Member
I've only just watched the first 3 episodes (plus the Piers Morgan interview) so my comments are based on what I've seen so far.

Gadd appears to have done what most scriptwriters do and has presented a fictionalised and perhaps exaggerated version of a real story. He's not telling the exact truth but essentially I do believe this woman was stalking and harassing him. She has outed herself online when she didn't need to do that. She is clearly mentally ill and very unpleasant.

In the first few episodes he was annoying me as much as her because he did lead her on by acting like a coward. He should have nipped the whole thing in the bud when she kept coming to see him at work and made it clear he wasn't interested in any sort of relationship with her. I don’t believe that his motivations in entertaining her were entirely based around him feeling sorry for her. I believe he covered up the fact that he was involved more with the other men at work and they all thought they could have some sport with her. A big mistake because they clearly thought she was just a 'loser' they could all make fun of.

The fact that this woman has outed herself and was apparently sending messages to Keir Starmer as well is pretty mind boggling 🤯

I'll try to watch the rest if the series before drawing my final conclusions.

I used to know a woman who was stalking someone I knew some years ago and Martha rang alarm bells for me immediately because I recognised the MO. I can relate the story if anyone is interested.
I agree with all this however what pisses me off is the opening credits.

This is a true story.

Why not say based on a true story. It's just really pissing me off. I think GADD is loving the fame this is bringing him and he pretty much said he planned it all out and took notes and had the leading actress picked out to play Martha.

Martha on the other hand now she's a whole different level of bat shit crazy but that's for another day.

Gadd knew what he was doing and playing himself well ....hmmmm

troutpout69

VIP Member
I'd like to see her try. I'm sure many would love to sue her for the vitriol and bullying she spiels on a daily basis
The ironic thing here is that she’s proving herself more and more to be a stalker and she’s going to land in very big trouble very soon!

wiglay

When asked about the 40,000 emails, her lawyer said that there’s no record of that but, they haven’t been through discovery yet!
If it’s the guy who went on Piers’ show then honestly he seems like a right pillock. Of course Fiona isn’t going to volunteer the emails to her own lawyer. Netflix will get them from Gadd and file them and they will go through a whole rigmarole showing they came from her account which she will inevitably deny, say it was hacked or some other nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

CaptainHolt

I was listening to The Rest Is Entertainment podcast and they said that Netflix isn't governed by UK broadcasting laws (they're based in Amsterdam if I heard correctly), so Ofcom has no say over their output.

Also she says Martha isn't her then says she's going to sue Netflix and Gadd but neither named her and they did take steps to cover her identity (the argument is should they have planned for Internet sleuthing and done more?). What would she sue for? Can't be defamation or slander as she has stated Martha isn't her.

evoway13

VIP Member
I think there will be a legal team that will believe or are confident that there will be a case that she could potentially win or settle outside of court due to the fact Chris Daw kc compiled a statement that was sent to the press. I think it's shocking if she does benefit financially from a crime she has committed (even if she's not convicted). Like I've said before people have their opinions on Richard Gadd but that doesn't take away from the fact he, his family and even other people have been victims of her abusive, obsessive and stalking behaviour. It's so careless that netflix didn't take extra precautions to produce the series with the correct wording that would protect Gadd from the current backlash and potential legal action. I would hate to know someone who caused me harm and distress was able to monopolise on it. She doesn't deserve acknowledgement, never mind a payout. People found her due to tweets, but she came out shouting that Martha isn't her, but it is her. She put herself at the centre and loved every minute of it. She's enjoyed the attention from social media and the mainstream media. It would be really sad for Richard if she was to financially benefit from the harm she caused him. I would also love to see every victim of her emails come out and expose them.
For her to prove defamation - she has to prove loss of earnings/future earnings or damage to her reputation. I honestly don't think she can prove either......if she's claiming benefits at 58 years old, the likelihood of her working in the future is improbable. Her reputation has been damaged for the last 27 years, since harassing Laura, her husband, child and employees. Chris Daw must have taken on the case shortly after he was on Piers Morgan. I doubt he knew about the 276 vicious emails to Keir Starmer that were revealed in the last few days.

People who tend to win defamation cases are few and far between. I think Netflix will stand their ground - they've not even acknowledged that Martha is based on Fiona. They could use the following (as most films outline) : Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead or actual events is purely coincidental

evoway13

VIP Member
All Netflix have done is asked an actress to put on a Scottish voice. Fiona states she's never been as big as 'Martha' in size (Fiona is a horrid person) . Even if they'd chosen a woman with a London accent, Fiona would still have come forward - she's an attention seeker

evoway13

VIP Member
This is interesting: A person can only be compensated for injury to the reputation they had at the time of publication. If that person already had a bad reputation which is relevant to the defamation, that will reduce the harm, and reduce the damages, sometimes to zero

• Wow

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Has anyone here liked any of her Facebook posts or even messaged her?
I see her posts get interaction by likes/emoji responses and that although you can't add her as a friend you can message her.

I should point out I've no intention of doing any of that and don't think anyone should; discussing people on Tattle is one thing but directly messaging them on their social media is most likely trolling and out of order.
---
And ruining her own case at the same time, I don’t think she even realises.

What if the ending becomes true, she says something bad enough on Facebook that Gadd can finally press charges lol
She is very much likely to get in trouble; saying he has HIV, for a start, will not do her any favours.

The Netflix show doesn't name her and as far as I'm aware Gadd hasn't either.
She has outed herself.
Yes, she was easy for people to find and he didn't do anything to hide her identity (he simply named the character Martha) but she could have removed the most identifying tweets and not commented on this; clearly, she is loving the attention.

I hope she gets what she wants from all of this and that Gadd isn't damaged further (and that something actually happens re. his rapist).

InkHeart

Chatty Member
Imo, it's a lot different if, as the article says, she was already a regular (didn't go in there only to see Gadd), sat at a table in the corner (didn't go to sit at the bar to be close to him, for the whole of his shift), only went in 2 or 3 times a week (not every day), didn't get anything free off him.

Feather fans

VIP Member
I think in reality Netflix took more precaution than we know/ realise. Perhaps Im giving them too much credit. Everybody (including FH herself) keep picking on opening line "this is a trie story". But, like was mentioned here a few times, the Blair Witch and some other series/ films started like this too. So this phrase is for effect. But I personally dont remember or not even looked at what was in closing credits for example. Somehow I feel sure they covered their arse legally. The press, including "lovely" Pierse, have a lot to answer for giving her platform and potentially by this encouraging her in her delusion that she has a case.