Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

babygoats

She did really perfect a certain editing aesthetic that is now imitated by hundreds of other fashion/lifestyle youtubers. I really enjoyed her content and I don't mind her either making more or finding other things in life.

But I am kinda annoyed with how she is not doing either - when her twitter was allegedly "hacked" she suddenly emerged and asked people not to unfollow when she hadn't been active there for a long time anyways. I sometimes unfollow my childhood friends if they don't post anything, my interest in this random girl from USA is not that big to keep following her if she isn't doing anything. You can't be a social media superstar with the followers and sponsored deals if you also don't do anything there or just sometimes post vague pictures that anyone could make.

Reactions: 2
Can we talk about that hideous golden dress she wore at some premiere.. Maybe i don't understand high fashion or something but that dress did nothinngggg for her
I’ve long given up on seeing any good fashion from Ashley lol. But yes that particular look was pirate bride meets mallwalker (featuring the exact pair of Mudd(tm) shoes I wore to every wedding I was invited to circa 2001-6!)

sephylily

VIP Member
She always tries to act like she's an activist in her videos but she's so silent when anything ever happens.

farewelltulip

Lol her subreddit went private. The mod had a history of cussing people out in private messages for questioning Ashley’s behavior, so she probably couldn’t handle everyone getting fed up with Ashley

BlueCoffee

Omg same. But she’s to busy building her new NYC “it girl” persona to grovel these days, though ignoring fuck ups is like a speciality of hers haha

Hot_Dogs_Or_Toes

Chatty Member
Yes, and she discussed at length Tarantinos known foot fetish when she reviewed once upon a time in Hollywood, so she was definitely aware of what she was doing. At the time she posted those, foot fetish content was very in on YouTube — I saw a lot of vlogger types use clickbait like, “I made how much selling photos of my feet?!”

Recently I popped in on Ashley’s IG and saw she got a ton of new expensive-looking furniture. I bet she is relieved she doesn’t have to publicly reconcile her splurge purchases with the “frugal immigrant” image she constructed for herself on her channel.
I think the foot fetish thing is still very much being used by youtubers to get views etc. An example I can recently think of is Eve Cornwell (a study YouTube/trainee lawyer for anyone that doesn't know). I remember her saying in one of her videos a couple of years ago that she hates showing her feet on camera. However, one of her latest videos she got her bare feet out all over it, close ups and everything. I think they know that showing feet will get them views so they use that to their advantage. I don't have a particular problem with that but they should at least acknowledge that's what they're doing!

• Sick
The split dye Melanie Martinez doesn't look good on her, especially with the pink dye. Would look marginally better if it was just blonde/white.
I agree. The pink side is too peachy and close to her skin tone. I think a cool platinum blonde, or even a silvery purple would look amazing with her yellow undertones.

sephylily

VIP Member
This is why I find it ironic that BD was trying to act like Ashley is relentlessly hounded with criticism, when she deletes all of it. She also deleted all the criticism about her doing an Amazon sponsored vid after building a brand based on ~sustainability~, and then just ended up privating the vid without ever giving an explanation.

It seems like broey deschanel just chose certain instances of criticism to display with 0 context while ignoring all valid criticism of Ashley’s behavior, or trying to cast anyone who did question her in a legitimate way as “”parasocial”” leeches or whatever. It’s like, Ashley divulges extremely personal info about her sister’s disorder without her knowledge, and her fans are in the wrong for questioning why she would do something so inappropriate??
the parasocial thing works both ways as the people who are rabid defenders of ashley are parasocial leeches. personally i don't have a parasocial relationship with ashley. i'm just disappointed in her. i liked her old content and i think her new content is awful (and currently non-existent) and there's no way to comment that on her youtube videos bc she'll delete it and her defenders will swarm you asking how you could be so mean to smol bean ashley who's just trying her best.

farewelltulip

Re: Ashley’s tightsless UK trip

Omg she actually doesn’t know how to dress and I was sad bc I thought she was gonna serve more layered/all weather looks when she moved. When the Olsen twins moved from LA to NYC, Mary Kate actually says she wore so many layers bc nyc is fucking cold and she wanted to be comfortable. I can’t with Ashley out here, defiantly shivering, bare legged in her mini skirts. Fashion has to function, for me at least to the point where I’m not sacrificing comfort.

Also doesn’t YouTube demonetize a channel after six months of no new posts? I suspect she will be back in a month or so.
I think it goes back to the issue that her fashion really isn’t that unique or innovative. Her initial aesthetic was basically just any girl with a Pinterest circa 2018. Even now her jumbled aesthetic is just the same city-cool-girl aesthetic of any other IG influencer that consists of throwing around some Tiktok trends with clashing designer / vintage pieces.

imbackagain

atp idec about her coming back i'm just genuinely wondering what she does with her life when it's not sold out to instagram sponsors now? the irony of her appeal being that she was the "relatable middle class kid from a small maryland town who hit it big" and now nobody who isn't a nepotism kid/trust fund baby (elena t*ber, that guy who works at a tech startup but can live in the west village?) masquerading as an influencer has seen ashley out in public 🤭

edit: fixed typo
I’d say she’ll ride the influencer gravy train as long as she can. When the money dries up, she’ll be back

farewelltulip

They get super defensive. You can’t even say anything remotely questioning Ashleys motives or even say that you dont like her outfit without them getting antsy. Someone super eager made a new subreddit when the Mod first said they might go private because of “hate comments on ashley” when it was all just discussion. And then the sub, and the account that made it got deleted.. It was honestly such a lame page towards the end.

One thing that really annoyed me was how many fans defended her multiple covid breaking rules saying “i think its fine she met up mask-less with 10+ people, she must have been so lonely” and again when she traveled to California in one of the peak covid times to hang out with mates. She could literally kick a puppy and they’d be like “well to be fair!”
It’s so strange because her fans, whether they worship her or recently questioned her behavior, just seem so weirdly attached to her? Like her megafans lose it if anybody suggests that Ashley isn’t a perfect angel baby that can do no wrong, but on the other end of the spectrum her ex-fans were acting like their oldest friend had violently stabbed them in the back just bc Ashley quit YouTube without warning. Both demographics needed to chill.

Also, as an aside, within the past month 2 people have asked me if my fashion/outfits were “bestdressed inspired” and it’s like…no, I’ve just always dressed in cardigans and light dresses and whatnot. It’s weird to me a) how far her reach is and b) how she’s seen as this trendsetting fashion icon of a generation, whilst her fashion’s always been really basic (mine is too, no hate there, but she’s not innovative at all).

I remember when she did that video on trying a minimalist capsule wardrobe and acted like having to work with 40 pieces was such a feat, and I felt like, some of us only have 40 pieces of clothing because we’re actually broke and frugal, lol.

It seems like she really got spooked by that stalker at her previous apartment, which is a completely fair reason for wanting to take a break and reconsider filming where you live. Feeling like you need to be witty and relevant 24/7 is also a huge pressure, I get it. It really looks like she's struggling, but the more she does this weird hiatus-but-I'm-still-cool-and-sponsored-on-instagram thing pretending like nothing has changed the less I care or really respect her as a content creator. Now she's just some girl, but she obviously still expects brand deals and lots of followers. If she didn't, she'd probably go private.

Like, give a 1 sentence explanation in a story and it's cool. Ashley, you can copy this: "Due to personal reasons, I will be taking a break from social media". But she never did anything like that.
Yeah...she's still been posting on Instagram, just like usual and pretending like nothing is happening. All of the comments under her posts are asking where she is on YouTube and when is she coming back. I mean...doing this for six months and not addressing it or at least saying "I'm taking a break", like why?

y-microwave

Can we talk about that hideous golden dress she wore at some premiere.. Maybe i don't understand high fashion or something but that dress did nothinngggg for her

Clover123

VIP Member
DAMNIT she's wearing a FOX FUR COAT... WHY!!! So many influencers have worn this exact coat I hate them all so much T_T
All the girls in the comments saying how awesome she looks with a dead fox, such bad infuence.
"Trim: 100% dyed fox fur"

View attachment 856399View attachment 856401
This look is hideous, and I thought that before you mentioned it was ACTUAL fox fur?! That's sick! A fox had to die for THIS monstrosity?! What a waste!

She has all this money, opportunities at her finger tips, yet her life seems so empty and sad. More proof (if it was ever needed) that money doesn’t buy true happiness.

dalmatirox

Chatty Member
I would say yes, and I'm still bitter about it. I loved her videos, yes it was a bit cringe here and there and the whole amazon fiasco was eye opening but I still loved her content.
Ran herself off youtube because she couldn't handle people criticising that she sold gifted stuff on depop lmao

farewelltulip

After the Amazon sponsorship & her subsequent transformation into a walking ad I don’t think she really keeps up the pretense of being sustainable or activist-y anymore. Her statement abt police brutality last June was basically “this is taking away from focus on Asian hate” and then once that became a more prominent issue she didn’t actually have anything to say about it. I feel like it’s probably best she doesn’t pretend to be an activist anymore bc she’d continue putting out equally horrendous takes