Ashley aka BestDressed

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm curious if anybody follows Ashley aka BestDressed?

I've followed her for a while and whilst I used to like her content, she's getting more and more unbearable and unhinged, especially since she moved to NYC

• She's from Maryland, claims to come from a 'working class immigrant family' (dad is a British University lecturer, mother is from Burma and I believe also works in education) and lived a very upper class life
  • Claims to be sustainable and thrifts a lot, but also accepts brand deals from fast fashion companies and Amazon Prime Wardrobe
  • Had a FWB fly from LA to NYC at the start of Covid so she had somebody to duck
  • Constantly makes unnecessary sex jokes and seems to think having sex is a personality trait
  • Has a lot of internalised misogyny, criticises stay at home mothers and housewives
  • Has sold items she's been sent as PR gifts
This is my first time posting a thread, I hope I've done everything correctly!

Reactions: 7
What a coincidence! She just appeared in my recommended yesterday and I did a binge watch.

She's got a tit ton of clothes. And money. She came from an upper-middle class family (according to Guru Gossip).

Yeah, sex does seem to be on her mind an awful lot. It's good that she's normalizing talking about it though, because it is a natural thing.

She's moving again. Apparently it's because she has a stalker but I fee like she can't settle anywhere for too long. She looks depressed no matter where she lives.

Reactions: 2
Both her parents are university professors, so yeah they're definitely upper-middle class. I was on her mum's ratemyprofessor once and her ratings are terrible. People also believed that she wrote the positive ratings herself.

I unsubscribed a while ago, only recently checked her Instagram again and wow, she looks like she's really going through it huh?

This caption also really rubbed me the wrong way because a) nobody's forcing her to go to ikea, b) we all know she doesn't actually give two fucks about abolishing capitalism since she's massively benefitting from it (and collaborated with the biggest capitalist corporation there is), c) she's once again exploiting mental health issues for likes and d) my dad grew up in the Soviet Bloc where they had exactly one (1) type of fork. Shut the duck up Ashley!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-15 um 14.25.26.png

Reactions: 6
There's normalising sex (I think her sex education video from a few years ago was decent enough) and then there's going off on a tangent during a clothing haul to brag about having sex with a Republican...

I'm also tired of how she keeps name-dropping mental health issues as a ~quirky personality trait~, and making vague references to capitalism as if she's not actively benefitting from and contributing to it. A lot of people praise her for being political, when she's actually pretty apolitical (didn't use her platform to talk about voting during the US elections, for example).

Her older videos were more watchable, she's become a caricature now.

Reactions: 13
This caption also really rubbed me the wrong way because a) nobody's forcing her to go to ikea, b) we all know she doesn't actually give two fucks about abolishing capitalism since she's massively benefitting from it (and collaborated with the biggest capitalist corporation there is), c) she's once again exploiting mental health issues for likes and d) my dad grew up in the Soviet Bloc where they had exactly one (1) type of fork. Shut the duck up Ashley!

View attachment 437705
The IG account DressLikeBestDressed commented about her usage of disassociation for a caption, and they got SO much abuse from her stans.

It was really incredible to see them blindly hating when they made a pretty valid and polite comment

The IG account DressLikeBestDressed commented about her usage of disassociation for a caption, and they got SO much abuse from her stans.

It was really incredible to see them blindly hating when they made a pretty valid and polite comment
her minions got their heads so far up her ass, it's crazy!

do you think she'll come back to youtube full time? seems to me that she's pretty much over it now (or rather ever since she moved to NY tbh). obviously she's now bigger than ever numbers-wise, but her momentum is kinda gone if anyone gets what i mean? lol

Reactions: 1
she pisses me off so much because when she was doing youtube and she was doing it properly (whilst she was still at ucla) her outfits were great and her sense of style was great. she was really coordinated. now her style is horrific and she has 1 good outfit every 20 instagram posts. she also makes all her dresses stupidly short and it just looks dumb. i hate the constant sex references too like that's not what i'm here for.

Reactions: 6
I know people change and grow up and all that but duck her new style is bad.. And those “insta girl” poses.. I used to be a massive fan til she ditched Youtube without saying why, and overhauled her whole style & personality. For someone who built their brand on valuing and being matey with her fans, its not a nice look for her..

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Her instagram posts are just so lifeless now, it's almost concerning.
it's so erratic? and just odd. obviously we don't know the ins and outs of her relationships (and i didn't really like david) but did she not seem a lot better mentally when with david?

Reactions: 3
I’m curious to know (if i’m aloud to ask) if anyone here is part of the reddit sub? Theres now three. The old one that hasn’t been used in a year, the most popular one which is now being locked cause of all the drama, and a new one where you can share what you like (the popular one got locked cause her die hard fans can’t take any critic or criticism what so ever. Its snowflake central)

i've had a look at it before but i only saw the one where they all fangirled over her constantly. what's the drama?!
I’m curious to know (if i’m aloud to ask) if anyone here is part of the reddit sub? Theres now three. The old one that hasn’t been used in a year, the most popular one which is now being locked cause of all the drama, and a new one where you can share what you like (the popular one got locked cause her die hard fans can’t take any critic or criticism what so ever. Its snowflake central)

the bestdressed sub is HILARIOUS. there are so many people desperately falling over themselves to defend her. likeeee she's a youtuber who clearly doesn't give a duck about you seeing as she hasn't uploaded a video in 3 months and hasn't managed to explain why but continues to upload ads and pics of her fugly boyfriend.

Reactions: 3
Does Ashley majorly remind anyone else of Tavi Gevinson? Like, I’m thinking back to when Rookie was a thing and Tavi tried to present herself as this “older sister” giving advice and guiding her younger readers, while if you were actually around Tavi’s age, it was pretty obvious how immature and unstable she was (though she’s since grown into a very level adult). Ashley is the same deal. So many of her fangirls are rabid to defend her because she tries so hard to present herself as this advice-giving mature elder sister, but if you’re actually around Ashley’s age or a bit older, a lot of her advice is clearly terrible and she’s pretty obviously immature/naïve/messy even for her age. Ironic because Tavi recently came out with an article admitting that she had no clue what she was talking about back then and it ended up actively harming her.

Her style evolution also reminds me of Megan Ellaby—both used to have well-presented styles, now they just throw together anything designer or vintage with no cohesion for the ~aesthetic~.

Reactions: 8
She posted a day or so ago on tiktok showing messages from her break up with the odd looking guy 😬 she seems in a very weird place mentally, I guess loads of us are with the pandemic eh, but she is very reliant on boys and hook ups and male attention, I think it does feed into her self esteem a lot, so I wonder what chaos we will see from her in the next few weeks

Lol her subreddit went private. The mod had a history of cussing people out in private messages for questioning Ashley’s behavior, so she probably couldn’t handle everyone getting fed up with Ashley

Lol her subreddit went private. The mod had a history of cussing people out in private messages for questioning Ashley’s behavior, so she probably couldn’t handle everyone getting fed up with Ashley
They get super defensive. You can’t even say anything remotely questioning Ashleys motives or even say that you dont like her outfit without them getting antsy. Someone super eager made a new subreddit when the Mod first said they might go private because of “hate comments on ashley” when it was all just discussion. And then the sub, and the account that made it got deleted.. It was honestly such a lame page towards the end.

One thing that really annoyed me was how many fans defended her multiple covid breaking rules saying “i think its fine she met up mask-less with 10+ people, she must have been so lonely” and again when she traveled to California in one of the peak covid times to hang out with mates. She could literally kick a puppy and they’d be like “well to be fair!”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
They get super defensive. You can’t even say anything remotely questioning Ashleys motives or even say that you dont like her outfit without them getting antsy. Someone super eager made a new subreddit when the Mod first said they might go private because of “hate comments on ashley” when it was all just discussion. And then the sub, and the account that made it got deleted.. It was honestly such a lame page towards the end.

One thing that really annoyed me was how many fans defended her multiple covid breaking rules saying “i think its fine she met up mask-less with 10+ people, she must have been so lonely” and again when she traveled to California in one of the peak covid times to hang out with mates. She could literally kick a puppy and they’d be like “well to be fair!”
It’s so strange because her fans, whether they worship her or recently questioned her behavior, just seem so weirdly attached to her? Like her megafans lose it if anybody suggests that Ashley isn’t a perfect angel baby that can do no wrong, but on the other end of the spectrum her ex-fans were acting like their oldest friend had violently stabbed them in the back just bc Ashley quit YouTube without warning. Both demographics needed to chill.

Also, as an aside, within the past month 2 people have asked me if my fashion/outfits were “bestdressed inspired” and it’s like…no, I’ve just always dressed in cardigans and light dresses and whatnot. It’s weird to me a) how far her reach is and b) how she’s seen as this trendsetting fashion icon of a generation, whilst her fashion’s always been really basic (mine is too, no hate there, but she’s not innovative at all).

I remember when she did that video on trying a minimalist capsule wardrobe and acted like having to work with 40 pieces was such a feat, and I felt like, some of us only have 40 pieces of clothing because we’re actually broke and frugal, lol.