Are you happy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is an interesting thread, I have a question for the people who said no...would more money make you happier? I don't mean for material things but money can help cant it?
No it wouldn't make me any happier, a relatively normal happy family would have made me happier.
Some of the most troubled people are the so-called celebs & stars who earn megabucks.
Money can't buy you love
Just my tuppence worth

Reactions: 7
Excellent thread, I've read through all the answers and can relate to a lot of them.
I think overall I'd have to probably have to say no, though its kind of hard to write that down. I think in this day and age most people who come from relatively comfortable backgrounds would have to answer no because there seems to be pressure to have 'more' all the time. Someone said a few posts ago that people were happier in previous generations and that is definitely true, people who want less and have simpler lives are definitely happier. I have a small number of good friends, a supportive family and am in the middle of a phd but I find myself wondering more and more often, what's the point? Is this it? I don't even know if this makes sense haha

EDIT: When I do think of people who seem happy and content, they often are people who have had more life experience and come through the other side of various struggles, so maybe there's an element of maturing in it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I finally feel happy for the first time in a while, I was in a deep depression in my teens after being diagnosed with a condition meaning I wouldn't be able to carry a child - the one thing I wanted more than anything in life, I was heartbroken at 16 being told this. I've grown up with many health conditions where I'm not necessarily "normal" looking and I was very anxious and self conscious growing up. Now in the last 2 years, I'm finally feeling confident and happy and like I've found a "purpose". Don't get me wrong some days are still tough and I have moment where I think what's the point, but I'm no longer waking up wanting to be gone. I make the most of the little things, even if to others it seems like nothing - to me it seems like something after what I've been through growing up. I hope one day my health is stable, some things are irreversible but I hope to manage them, I hope to fulfill my career dreams and have a stable income. I don't know if I want to get married but I do hope regardless that I have the same positive relationships I have now with friends and family.

I finally feel proud and like I deserve to be happy and I think we all do no matter what we've been through! Keep your heads held high💗

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This is an interesting thread, I have a question for the people who said no...would more money make you happier? I don't mean for material things but money can help cant it?
For me, I would say more money is what is making me unhappy! I changed career so that I would be better paid, now I don't have the time to enjoy it or do anything with it because I am literally always working. The grass isn't always greener I think.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
EDIT: When I do think of people who seem happy and content, they often are people who have had more life experience and come through the other side of various struggles, so maybe there's an element of maturing in it too.
I think this is true. Not sure it's maturing or just perception. I think I expect less of my life than I once did. Honestly i'm just happy that I still have my husband, my best friend wasn't as lucky.

Reactions: 2
interesting perspective.

money would be nice, I don’t think anybody would deny more money! I think the happiness from money for me would be short lived. I’d buy myself things and treat myself but it won’t fix my low self esteem, it would just mask it for a while? If that makes sense.

• Heart
Money would make me happy on a lot of fronts. I’d be able to afford therapy without worrying. I can get my family out of a military coup in Asia. I can expedite a lot of immigration matters. I won’t have to worry about groceries or rent.

• Heart
I would say no, most of what makes me unhappy comes from dealings with my family like the relentlessness of kids/ pets etc and inlaws attitudes .

Reactions: 1
I suppose in some cases it would make me a bit happier but not overall

Reactions: 3
I think more money would take the pressure off in a few areas of my life, thus alleviating those worries…but it would not undo all of my worries.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
No I’m not happy. I should be really because my life isn’t THAT bad. I’m lucky to have a lovely (most of the time🙄) long term partner and 2 kids. We have a roof over our heads even if it isn’t technically ‘ours’ and enough money for everything we need even if it is a struggle some months.

I’m gonna sound petulant now but duck it. I find life to be a bit of a slog 95% of the time, I have no zest for life. I dont want to waffle on because I’d be here all night but ugh I wish I never existed sometimes.

On the subject of money, I think it would probably make me happier. I don’t think it would fix all my problems but we could clear all our debt and that would help a lot. We could buy ourselves a home which is something we desperately want but is painfully out of reach, having a place that is ours that we got to pick because we love it, not just because it’s the only decent rental in the area would definitely make me happier. I could also get therapy for my poor mental health and finally figure out what the duck is wrong with me to make me hate life so much, I could get some help regarding my weight and fitness, because I lack the motivation to do it in my own but can’t afford a gym membership or PT. It’s hard to imagine how I wouldn’t be happier with more money to be honest. It’s not about buying lots of ‘stuff’ but it would be nice to not have to worry about ensuring we keep enough in the bank for the food shopping every week and then having stress when an unexpected cost comes up. Being able to just go on a day trip without having to plan in advance and work out if we can afford it this month or If we have to wait until next. A lot of my stress essentially boils down to money and how often I am required to spend it to simply survive when I’d rather save it or put it towards something in life that actually brings joy, or when I want to do something fun for the kids but can’t afford it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m not happy no. The last time I was at my happiest was when I was 13. I’m now 31. I’ve had a lot of knock backs that would make anyone down, also a lot of my family do suffer with depression so I def have it I say

I think social media has a lot to answer for too.... it seems people have never been so depressed in their lives as they are now.

Excellent question.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
It's quite incredible to read everyone's responses. It has shown me how many of us are in the same boat. :(
On the money question, it would certainly remove a ton of stress. I've never had enough and am always struggling to just get by. I was fine and happier not having much money before but more recently, it's been an issue because the financial stress is exacerbated by my chronic illnesses which drain me financially. I don't want a ton of money, but certainly a better wage would remove the added pressure in my daily life and enable me to start building a more stable life, possibly even a happier one. It's quite hard to picture or take steps towards a better quality of life when you're constantly working out how to survive and overcome.
I think better people in my life would made a world of difference as well. The type you could just laugh with and rely on, rather than ones who are always using you and putting you down.

Reactions: 6
I must have jinxed myself as I previously said yes and have spent the whole weekend on the verge of tears. 😂 I guess that is the way sometimes.

I struggle because I'm an introvert and I feel the world just sees that as a negative. I do have some deep friendships which mean a lot but I struggle in big groups. For example I went out with some old friends yesterday, and some of their friends came too. I just find it so draining and difficult and it makes me wish I was more extroverted which I hate being made to feel as I don't think I actually see being introverted as a negative it's more the worry of what others think and how it affects my social life. I much prefer people I can really connect to, preferably one on one, but that's so different to what I see on insta of everyone having fun and makes me feel antisocial and like I'm missing something.

On the other hand, I do a lot of adventurous things like travelling which most people I know don't - but am made to feel like I don't have fun because I don't always want to go out and get wasted and be boisterous.

On the topic of money I think it definitely would help to a certain level, if you had enough to be comfortable.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Overall no. I have happy times, and happy days and a nice(ish) life, but there’s so much wrong with my relationship, and how I currently feel about myself and other things that I can’t quite put my finger on that make me feel so miserable. I feel like I don’t know how to escape any of it and even if I did, I don’t know if that would even make me happy anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Not really. I’m 29, single mum of 2.5 years to my now 9 year old daughter. She’s got problems of her own and it’s a tough slog parenting her. Im overweight, riddled with anxiety and depression and have zero control of money. On the plus side i have a new car (new to me, it’s a 14 plate) a job with the nhs I’m proud of, and my health is generally good. I think I might’ve met a good man, that remains to be seen. Im hoping the future will be better than the past.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve loved reading this thread. I’ve been pondering this for days and when I first read the title I said no.

But to me, I’m not entirely sure what true happiness is. I think on the whole I am, I have a good life. I have a lovely home, a nice car, money isn’t a worry for me (although I hate spending it), I have a loving partner (not a perfect relationship, but who’s is), two wonderful cats and my parents (really my only family) would do anything to help me. Does all that make me happy, I’m not sure. I have dreams of running away to Ireland and living a quiet life as a potter.

I guess the only things holding me back from being what I think would be truly happy is myself, I’m unhappy in my body, I’m unhappy in my job and my lack of time dedicated to my hobbies. All changeable so I can’t say I am unhappy.

• Heart
Having read through this thread it’s amazing how many people have said no. You always think you’re the only one and completely alone, yet if you put us all together, we’d probably create a new town!

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been happy and I can honestly say it’s because it’s the one thing I was never taught how to be. My parents were always unhappy and had pretty sad lives and I remember feeling blue from a very young age. The only time I saw true happiness was on TV. Even with some fantastic experiences in my life, I always assumed it wouldn’t last or I’d pay for it later with something bad. Happiness to me now is an alien concept. I neither feel truly happy or truly sad, I kind of feel nothing. Can anyone else relate?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Even with some fantastic experiences in my life, I always assumed it wouldn’t last or I’d pay for it later with something bad
I can relate to this. If life is ever going really well I always have in the back of my mind that something tit is going to happen soon. It usually does. I try not to be a Debbie downer but the last few years have been quite tit and out of my control so I guess that’s why I feel like that.

• Sad
For me, happiness comes and goes. Without simplifying my depression I am always ‘sad’ even in the moments I’m happy. I always say comparison is the thief of joy, which is very true, but there’s certain aspects of my life I want to change that would make me feel truly happy. I’ve overcome a lot of obstacles to get where I am today so I’m happy in that sense (education/work wise) but I feel like a failure for not being married, having kids or my own home yet as I’m creeping up to 30. I know age is just a number and I’ve written above about comparison, but I do wonder where I’ve gone wrong sometimes! I feel SO stupid writing that but that’s just my take.

• Heart
Reactions: 8