Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
i’m wondering if anyone in here can offer me some advice, i’ve recently started a new job that’s full-time working from home 9-5, i’m struggling to keep myself feeling motivated to get up and get ready each morning but i really want to feel put together, just seeing if anyone might’ve been in the same boat or has any tips/tricks on how to try and keep on top of feeling put together and ready for each day, as i feel like it’s getting to a point where i’m just rolling out of bed and working in my pyjamas
For me it’s all about how to minimise what I have to do in the morning otherwise like you said I just don’t bother.

I use a light face tanner once a week or so, which gives me enough of a glow without makeup.

tint my eyebrows at home once a month, same as above it means I look more polished without makeup. I also try to get my eyebrows shaped every 6-8 weeks as I think it helps my overall appearance.

some simple jewellery even a plain pair of studs help.

Overall it just helps me feel put together. Also keeping a tidy workspace when WFH, don’t need to see my ironing or dishes, it distracts me.

One thing I want to add to my routine is to learn an easy up do (like a neat bun) that I can do quickly in the morning, still a work in progress on that one but I find TikTok helpful for suggestions

Reactions: 7

Silverback

VIP Member
Apologies- I’m sure this has been done to death but does anyone have a good dupe please for nars orgasm? Thank you!
I’m with you- was looking for one myself as £30 per blush is a bit kerching, and the amount of waste from it is awful- the fallout is crazy.

In the end I gave up and got a Bourjois blush out of sheer nostalgia- the smell of it takes me back!

• Heart
Nails and perfume for me. Always have my nails done and always smell nice. And they’re things I find people also comment on so they don’t go unnoticed.
Also can’t beat a really good bag. I got a one recently and it just makes basic outfits look a little chicer.
I agrée good quality accessories can really make an outfit more polished. I really like Polene and have 2 of their bags. The Tonka crossbody makes casual weekend looks more classy. I think spending a bit more on coats, shoes, bags, having clean neat hair and make up, and neat nails really can make the difference. Oh and everything clean and ironed that you wear. The clothes can be high street but better accessories and outer wear can really lift an outfit

dee_mc

VIP Member
Ye've inspired me: couldn't sleep last night so I descaled my teeth using a tool I picked up in €2 shop, then cleaned up with my WaterPik. My teeth look 100% better.
Tinted my eyebrows and lashes at 3am too 🤣

• Haha

Geranium

VIP Member
I bought a sample size of molecule and was so excited to try it but I couldn’t smell it, my husband couldn’t smell it and no one else could either. I very nearly bought the full size bottle because I was so excited about being followed down the street by obsessed sniffers which would have been a costly mistake!

• Haha

ophelia1990

VIP Member
What are your style staples that always make you feel polished and put together? Can be clothes, shoes, makeup, hair styles, anything 🙃
Always having my nails done.
I airwrap my hair and sleep with it in a bun so it always looks bouncy.
Don’t wear snagged/bobbly clothes or tights.
Wear perfume (not expensive, the dupes are great)
I find a printed dress always makes me look put together without any effort.
I have my brows microbladed because I don’t have any - saves so much time.
I get botox twice a year but that’s completely a personal choice.
I have a £3 tinted lip balm from Amazon that lasts hours and makes me look like I’ve made effort.
I have a mulberry for work and a ysl bag for day to day - my 2 investments that make me feel put together.
---
Have a look at Loreal Steam Pod.
I have those and they are the best straighteners I have ever tried. I've had cloud nine and GHD but the addition of the steam has made an enormous difference to my long thick hair. Much less splitting etc.
I bought the barbie ones, only because they were cheaper at the time 😂 The distilled water that goes in them is around £3 a bottle from your local car accessories shop and so far I've used 1/4 of a bottle since January and thats with almost daily use.
I have an airwrap that I love but sometimes when it’s humid/rainy it’s not enough to tame my hair.

very interested in the steam pods! Are they good for frizz?

• Heart

Tanne1999

VIP Member
Buy of the week - Chanel No 5. Everywhere I’ve been over the weekend I’ve had so many compliments!

I was stuck in the trap of buying cheaper perfumes that would fade rapidly and I’d be respecting all day. This one I sprayed about 6 times and lasted me the whole day. Definitely worth the money 🥰

• Heart

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
What are your style staples that always make you feel polished and put together? Can be clothes, shoes, makeup, hair styles, anything 🙃
Perfume, nails, lipstick. Everything else is secondary in my eyes. I feel good if I smell good and have fresh lipstick and nails. My hair could look like a birds nest but as long as those details are good - it works for me

Kikidoyouloveme

I’ve got the yoga grey hoodie , the holy, kinda cream/khaki color, the black stylist one, the cathedral blue knit one ( I’m not sure I would recommend that one , although they do have a black version landing tomorrow !) the new SKR hoodie in a bone color and the brown zip up hoodie with the matching pants, I’ve had some leggings ( and from adanola ) but honestly the sports tights from H&M are just as nice and half the price and I got some AMAZING ones from river island of all places that are like butter and were like 12 quid ( I’m still shocked ) . Honestly s&s should pay me a commission - I made a really good ( if I do say so myself) tiktok of the hoodies comparing them to adanola and it blew up , the difference is insane ( I’m not sure if I can share my tt handle )but it was good for comparison before you drop the money , because let’s be honest , they ARE expensive, let me know what you buy though, I love it when you can recommend something new ! Xx

cherrymoon

Chatty Member
^^ I used to use a lot of expensive shampoos/conditioners then I switched to dove daily moisturising shampoo/conditioner a few months ago (I walk 3 miles back and forth to work every day, my hair gets sweaty and greasy so I wash it every night), a few drops of the Aussie hair oil and Schwarzkopf keratin heat protection spray in the mornings before a quick straighten and my hair is in great condition! The dove daily range is gentle enough for daily washing and smells really good too!

• Heart

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Thanks to this thread I have my rosecea under control with niacinamide and azelic acid. My face isn’t as angry anymore. I do have quite pink/ red areas around my nose and cheeks and I need to exfoliate, especially my chin and forehead - can someone advise?

Geranium

VIP Member
I volunteer with horses and spend about 80% of my life in clothes that are muddy, with my hair full of hay and my nails shredded from pushing out bales but I always wear nice jewellery and scent. I often get complimented on how nice I smell 😂

• Heart

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I can’t comment on home descaling BUT I went to the dental hygienist last week and I’m a convert! Was worried it was going to be awful but it was fine. Only mildly unpleasant. My teeth felt brand new and were a couple of shades whiter.
Would always recommend this to everyone! I go once or twice a year and it makes such a difference, not only are the teeth whiter, it improves overall oral health so much. Going regularly also makes it less unpleasant.

My elderly mum, who is still very style conscious, suffers with poor circulation and has icy cold feet. She won’t wear thermal socks as they are too thick to wear with shoes. Has anyone found any thin thermal socks please as I would like to buy her a few pairs?
I love that she’s style conscious 🥹 M&S do women’s thermal socks that aren’t chunky

Silverback

VIP Member
Just a gentle question- can I ask why you want your hair to go straight when it’s naturally curly? I’m asking mostly because I’ve struggled so much with my hair for the last few years and trying to straighten/ style it in order to keep it smooth until I had enough and accepted that it’s in fact wavy/curly. Since embracing its natural texture and yes, some frizz, I’ve felt more myself than ever.

There is a general notion that only smooth/ straight hair looks proper, when in fact there are plenty of hair textures in between which are just as pretty. One practical tip is to grow out the fringe as this might make it easier to get used to the beauty of your natural hair texture. Learning a few basic tips around casting your curls for definition will be useful too.
I think it comes from a relative making comments about my hair years back.

my hair really won’t stay straight. Even after using GHDs and hairspray, it finds a way to wave. I’ve got the routine down for defining the curls, but I need to accept that this is my hair type. I did go through a phase of letting the curls loose for a few years and then moved away from it again. I don’t know why.

Just wish it all didn’t mess with my head so much.

• Heart

milkywaygirl

VIP Member
oh thank you so much! I’m off to take a look 🥰 is it like an exfoliant? To be honest I’ve never heard of it but I’m more than happy to take a look 😃
yeah it’s a chemical exfoliant but like one of the most gentle ones, so it’s a serum and you put it on after you’ve washed and dried your face, then leave it a min to sink in and put your moisturiser on!! when i used to use face scrubs and things they’d really irritate my skin whereas this one exfoliates and has definitely improved my skins hydration so a win/win!! like i say look into it though because although it’s worked for me i don’t want it to cause you any problems (it shouldn’t but just have to say it for peace of mind!!), there’s loads of videos on it on youtube and tiktok and things as the ordinary are often trending with their skincare!!

• Heart

ack13

Do you have everyday foundation/skin bb/tint etc and then Going Out foundation?

I do -but I literally only use my expensive Going Out foundation YSL like once a month so I’m thinking why ??? do I use cheap day foundation and expensive one I rarely use

I want nice everyday one any suggestions?

I have tried AimeeCon skin tint and ItCosmetics ones in the past

but lately I’m buying random Primark cheap crap ones and I feel I deserve more going to work but somehow I don’t?! I have a mental block 🥹
I’ve started mixing some of my going out foundation with the ordinary squalane, turns it into a serum foundation and it looks great! Also means I don’t have to buy multiple foundations 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I once worked for a short while with a ginger haired girl and words kept falling out of my mouth about it, which she seemed to take offence about. But her hair just looked so heavenly!!! Made me realize that what you think looks wonderful the owner doesn't (probably cos of the amount of nastiness they get about their hair colour). She obviously thought I was a bitch and every nice word I said was actually a veiled dig. 😟.
She had a wonderful voice as well and when I said she should be on the radio she took this the wrong way as well. 🤷 (Presumably in her eyes I was saying she looked ugly).
Years of bullying can make you very suspicious of complements 💔
---
I totally understand this as a fellow naturally curly girl.

My hair was always wild as a child,really tight thick curls that no one could ever tame. My mum couldn't handle it and my hairstyles were non existent. My sister has absolute poker straight hair the absolute opposite of mine. I remember going back to primary school after lunch and seeing my shadow on the pavement of the frizzy bits sticking out all over. I turned around and went back home to try and stick it down. That must be 35 years ago now 😭

I'm glad you've got the curl routine down now, I think with this hair type that is the most important thing. Knowing what products and heat styling to use are key. I get more compliments now about my hair in my mid 40's than I ever have. People young and old say how interesting it is and how I'm lucky to have such lovely hair. So now I embrace it 🤗

I like to watch MD London on Instagram, he has some good tutorials for curly hair.
---
@Silverback that's really lovely, bang on trend, really stylish!
---
I need some serious help!

I'm mid (almost past mid) 40's stay at home mum with kids not really needing me anymore as much 😭

I look so dated, well not dated but basic if you know what I mean. I have my lashes/nails/hair done regularly but everything else is hit and miss.

Make up needs an overhaul/wardrobe needs an update/hairstyling needs a change/skincare is desperate.

Where do I start? I feel like I'm really starting to look my age. Husband and I are starting to do weekends away and date night more often and I want to make an effort for us both but I'm not sure where to start!
Okay in relation to your wardrobe. You should just spend a day in the shops and maybe don't buy anything but go into the likes of Zara and H&M and try on different styles of pants, tops, dresses, boots etc. in different colours and see what it is you like on yourself without the pressure of feeling like you need to take something home. After my 3rd baby I went through this process and ended up totally changing my style, no more skinny jeans (they actually don't suit me I found out 🙈) I have slim leg, wide leg and chinos now.

• Heart

peachesandcreamz

VIP Member
I just admitted defeat with my DMs and out them on Depop....so many pairs on there! Mine were the platform ones and they were just far too heavy! I hurt my knees from wearing them!

Need to get my Botox topped up but in meantime Benefit Porefessional Primer is good for filling in wrinkles either under or over foundation! Elf putty primer is not too bad either!
I sold mine last year too. Breaking in aside, I just don't want super heavy shoes! I want waterproof and warm, but I'm so used to wearing lightweight trainers and skechers that Docs just feel like bricks!!

I wear black shiny ankle wellies nowadays from places like Matalan lol!

• Wow