Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think vinegar would work well to get mouldy smell out of microfibre towels - good for the washing machine too.

As a wavy/curly haired person I have to agree with the comment above about using more expensive hair product brands. I've been using Kerastase (curl manifesto) shampoo and conditioner for several months now and my hair is soo much happier. I'm in Ireland and noticed Peter Mark salons had a special offer on products (20% off when you buy 2 or more products, not sure whether offer is still active) so I've stocked up on S&C and my Redken curl cream. Still cost a bloody fortune but will keep me going for months. Hopefully there will be value in gift sets coming up to Christmas too.
I see Kerastase are starting to do refill pouches - hopefully that'll drive down the price a bit.

Reactions: 4
Thanks for the welcome! Yes my microfibre towels need to be washed asap or they get a bit whiffy. But not so badly that I’ve noticed it on my hair! I hope not anyway.

Funnily enough, I’m not that keen on the smell of Kerastase products but I do like the effects. I bought a tiny sample of an Aveda hair masque. It works well but smells like wee, so nope. Won’t be buying a full size.

From the Inkey List, I’ve got: hylaronic acid serum, squalane (oil), oat water cream ( I love this), Q10 serum, Glycolic acid toner, and Retinol. I would repurchase all of this, I don’t use it all every day but rotate and I l really like every product. I’ve also got the rose hip oil but I haven’t tried that. I use a Vit c from the Ordinary. The most important thing for my skin is Cerave face wash, the non foaming one. This transformed my skin and I never use anything else unless it’s a pre cleanse to take off make up.

I bought the Aveena gel face cream and that’s quite nice too.

About once a month a drench my face in Almond oil as well and give it a little massage and rest.
I have lightly shaved my whole face for about 15 years - now called dermaplaning. I started doing it after reading memoirs of a geisha. It makes my make up look better and my skin look fresher.

I don’t go for facials as I think I know my skin better than anyone else and I don’t want to strip it, if that makes sense.

I tried the Dove gradual tanner but I think I prefer Garnier summer body and a bit of Vaseline body oil for a sheen.

Reactions: 7
Has anyone here any experience of laser hair removal on top lip, I am early 40's pale with black hair and tired of looking like Magnum P.I

• Haha
@Badirene i do at home IPL, and the only place it hasnt really worked is my top lip, however might be different with proper Laser.

Magnum PI made me laugh 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I feel your pain. i have PCOS so am brian blessed myself 🤣

I find that for laser the hair needs to be dark and coarse. Like legs etc for it to work but again i’m talking of my at home experience.

i’ve heard electrolysis works better for chin and top lip but i’ll let someone with

• Heart
I feel your pain. i have PCOS so am brian blessed myself 🤣

I find that for laser the hair needs to be dark and coarse. Like legs etc for it to work but again i’m talking of my at home experience.

i’ve heard electrolysis works better for chin and top lip but i’ll let someone with
I've commented before on the laser hair removal thread but I have in theory perfect hair for removal,dark thick and light skin and laser removal didn't really work for me. After 10 sessions I had a reduction in leg and bikini leg hair but not enough to justify paying so much and now after a few months it's all coming back. I have the at home IPL device as well but don't have patience for it. I used it quite a bit for top lip and didn't see any difference tbh. When I was getting my legs done at the salon they told me that facial hair usually takes a lot more sessions as well

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have had underarm laser and it didn’t work. I had a wax last week and told my lady and she says if there is a hormonal issue then laser doesn’t work. Interesting for me as I had ten sessions and while my hair is fairer and thinner it hasn’t gone.

My Amazon and cult beauty baskets are full after these last few posts 🤣

Reactions: 5
Has anyone here any experience of laser hair removal on top lip, I am early 40's pale with black hair and tired of looking like Magnum P.I
I have 🙋🏻‍♀️ It’s worked for me, although I have had around ten sessions in total. I’ts been the best thing I have ever done !

My grey hair is coming in thick and fast. I’ve decided to embrace it because there’s no going back, but it looks so awful at the moment. Any advice on brightening it, making it look better while it transitions?

Reactions: 1
My grey hair is coming in thick and fast. I’ve decided to embrace it because there’s no going back, but it looks so awful at the moment. Any advice on brightening it, making it look better while it transitions?
My top tip for greys is an occasional clarifying shampoo because a build up of _stuff_ of any sort can get quite visible on grey, and definitely dull it.
Recommending a purple shampoo/ conditioner is a bit trickier because it really depends on what else is going on with your hair.

Are you growing out a colour to let the grey come through?

My top tip for greys is an occasional clarifying shampoo because a build up of _stuff_ of any sort can get quite visible on grey, and definitely dull it.
Recommending a purple shampoo/ conditioner is a bit trickier because it really depends on what else is going on with your hair.

Are you growing out a colour to let the grey come through?
Thanks for the tip on clarifying shampoo. No my natural hair colour is just growing out. It’s very very dark brown, however, it’s coming through as strands without a harsh line. It just looks really greasy compared to my normal hair because of the colour difference ☹

Thanks for the tip on clarifying shampoo. No my natural hair colour is just growing out. It’s very very dark brown, however, it’s coming through as strands without a harsh line. It just looks really greasy compared to my normal hair because of the colour difference ☹
Ah, I understand about the greasy look. Great that you're not growing out a colour though!
A good colourist can run your hair through with some highlights which will help you ease into your new colour which you can keep up with for as long as you like, until you feel you've reached a nice salt n pepper ratio you're happy with. Because you're not growing out a colour, this will primarily be helpful with matching through the paler colour into the lengths, plus because there will be no harsh band as the highlights grow out the maintenance is minimal/ infrequent (depending on your length/ style etc). Obv this'll help with the greasy root appearance too.
Adding a bit of volume or texture at the root can help with that too.

I'm jealous - I'd love to have a bit more grey to make growing out my colour worthwhile. I'm going to start with highlights soon anyway, and a big chop to lose the heavily coloured lengths.

Ah, I understand about the greasy look. Great that you're not growing out a colour though!
A good colourist can run your hair through with some highlights which will help you ease into your new colour which you can keep up with for as long as you like, until you feel you've reached a nice salt n pepper ratio you're happy with. Because you're not growing out a colour, this will primarily be helpful with matching through the paler colour into the lengths, plus because there will be no harsh band as the highlights grow out the maintenance is minimal/ infrequent (depending on your length/ style etc). Obv this'll help with the greasy root appearance too.
Adding a bit of volume or texture at the root can help with that too.

I'm jealous - I'd love to have a bit more grey to make growing out my colour worthwhile. I'm going to start with highlights soon anyway, and a big chop to lose the heavily coloured lengths.
That’s such good advice- thank you.
I’m 35 and it’s finally got to the point where my hair is not brown anymore, it is most definitely mainly grey on top. I’d rather not be, and my mother constantly reminds me how old I look, but the level of effort involved in dying my hair every three weeks is not worth it 😆

My roots are coming through and my hair dye is fading and it's starting to bother me. I just go an all over brown & I'm wanting to try and match my natural colour. I'm pretty skint, do you think a box dye will be fine? I have very curly hair (3 b/c,) & my natural hair is dark dark brown so I feel like it will be forgiving of mistakes?

Attachments

• Heart
@Thank(space)you for an all over colour I don’t think you could go wrong with a box colour. I always do mine and have never had any issues.

P.s your hair is gorgeous! Beautiful curls!

• Heart
My roots are coming through and my hair dye is fading and it's starting to bother me. I just go an all over brown & I'm wanting to try and match my natural colour. I'm pretty skint, do you think a box dye will be fine? I have very curly hair (3 b/c,) & my natural hair is dark dark brown so I feel like it will be forgiving of mistakes?
I've no advice sorry but just wanted to say your hair is beautiful 😍 I have serious hair envy! X

• Heart
Beautiful curls @Thank(space)you ❤ I have same type/colour etc as you! I use knight and Wilson pureplex colour from Superdrug - it has a kind of olaplex type bonding treatment in it and the only dye that doesn’t turn my hair to hay lol!

• Heart
Can anyone reccommened some wet look/leather (not too wet look, more like a coated style) look jeggings? My trusty miss selfridge ones have had it 🥺 Also where do you guys get your jeans from? Always been a fan of RI "molly jeans" but wanting to try something new.

Lipsticks - how do you keep your on? I don’t have dry lips but they seem to soak the lipstick up like a sponge.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.