Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Speaking of The Ordinary, I need to rave about their multi peptide brow serum (which now I think about it, is probably the same as the bottled multi peptide hair serum, but more expensive per ml 🤦🏻‍♀️).

Full disclosure, I do have pretty full eyebrows anyway. But more in the sense that the individual hairs are dark and pretty long. They’re not that dense and the thing that lead me to brow serums was that in one eyebrow I had a little gap right in the head of the brow.I had two hairs then a gap a couple of millimetres wide then the rest of my eyebrow started. I tried Rapidbrow and after two tubes at £38 a pop I saw a couple of wispy transparent hairs and nothing else. Then I tried The Ordinary. I’ve not even used one tube and the gap has properly filled in. The rest of my brows look a little denser too (less skin visible through the undergrowth lol) and the hair that I used to pluck on the body (if that’s the name) of the eyebrow because it was sparse and looked a bit crap is growing thicker so I can now just leave it and not pluck anything - which gives me even fuller eyebrows! And it was only £12.40! I got mine from Boots but I first saw it on Cult Beauty. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here who was asking about brow/lash serums.
Thanks for this, think I’ll give it a try 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
Carmex - not the one in the pot or squeeze tube - the stick tube one.
Seconding Carmex, but endorsing the squeezey tube - I think the formula is better (a shame, cos I'd rather use a stick). The tinted ones are less good at being moistureisey still although pretty and anything but original formula (the fruity ones) are also inferior.

Reactions: 2
Can anyone recommend a really good nourishing lip balm - preferably in a tube rather than a pot?
think i’ve mentioned it before on this thread.

forget lipbalms. You need nipple cream. Soooo moisturising and the moisture locks in better

i find chapsticks etc just sit on the lip

Reactions: 7
i would definitely recommend lash extensions as it takes the stress away from trying to apply the damn strip ones and getting glue everywhere.

I would recommend a more subtle style, when i used to get them I usually asked for a slight cat eye affect as it really lifts the eyes, I would stay away from ‘russian’ though, they are not a good look in person
I wouldn't go for them the first time just before the ceremony - some people loved them but I absolutely HATED the feeling, it was unbearable. So give yourself time to try it out and see if it's something you like.

Alternatively, salons do offer 'express lashes' which are strips that last a few days, aren't sitting directly on your lashes, and avoid all the faffing around with glue and scissors!

I wouldn't go for them the first time just before the ceremony - some people loved them but I absolutely HATED the feeling, it was unbearable. So give yourself time to try it out and see if it's something you like.
Second this, I only had them once before an event and regretted it - they really irritated my eyes with my contacts in, I ended up removing them with oil and my eyes were all sore for my event. Never again.

think i’ve mentioned it before on this thread.

forget lipbalms. You need nipple cream. Soooo moisturising and the moisture locks in better

i find chapsticks etc just sit on the lip
Nipple cream all the way, does wonders for all dry skin!

Reactions: 4
Speaking of The Ordinary, I need to rave about their multi peptide brow serum (which now I think about it, is probably the same as the bottled multi peptide hair serum, but more expensive per ml 🤦🏻‍♀️).

Full disclosure, I do have pretty full eyebrows anyway. But more in the sense that the individual hairs are dark and pretty long. They’re not that dense and the thing that lead me to brow serums was that in one eyebrow I had a little gap right in the head of the brow.I had two hairs then a gap a couple of millimetres wide then the rest of my eyebrow started. I tried Rapidbrow and after two tubes at £38 a pop I saw a couple of wispy transparent hairs and nothing else. Then I tried The Ordinary. I’ve not even used one tube and the gap has properly filled in. The rest of my brows look a little denser too (less skin visible through the undergrowth lol) and the hair that I used to pluck on the body (if that’s the name) of the eyebrow because it was sparse and looked a bit crap is growing thicker so I can now just leave it and not pluck anything - which gives me even fuller eyebrows! And it was only £12.40! I got mine from Boots but I first saw it on Cult Beauty. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here who was asking about brow/lash serums.
Highly recommend the ordinary lash/brow serum, I’ve noticed a big difference in my lashes and brows since using it. I used rapid lash for months and, while I noticed a difference, the ordinary one is much cheaper!

Reactions: 7
I’ll most likely be in the UK in two weeks, is there anything I absolutely should pick up in Boots or similar? We don’t have Neutrogena sunscreens here, so wondering whether they are any good?

Hello, new to the thread but been reading it and loving all the ideas.

I definitely agree about the lash lift and tint, it changes my whole face. I also get my brows threaded and tinted.
I get Crest white strips from here: https://thewhitesmiles.co.uk/

I now approach hair care the same way I approach skin care. Meaning I actually think about it and try to take care of it!

Unfortunately, unlike skin care, where I have found amazing products at great prices (mainly from The Inkey List at the moment) I have found that more expensive hair care makes a massive difference to my hair. I have blonde balayage/ root melt and my hair needs love. I have started using kerastase products, as well a blue matrix shampoo and conditioner once every ten days or so. I used to use L’Oréal from Superdrug or wherever and i am so surprised at the difference.

I have a couple of different hair masques which I rotate, according to what my hair seems to need. I also use the olaplex bond repair regularly. I wash my hair, use a micro fibre hair towel (a must) let it air dry a bit then use a kerastase cream. Rough dry with a hairdryer then GHDs. I use L’Oréal mythic oil last. That’s my hair grooming and it works for me!

Feel Unique and Look Fantastic have discounts sometimes but Kerastase and olaplex etc is still pricey. But honestly I’ve found worth it. My hair was breaking off so much before but I’ve found it’s got better the more I’ve paid attention

I’m planning to get some Botox at the end of the year if I can afford it. I’ve had some fillers in the past and loved it (lips and cheek). No one noticed but me but I don’t care lol.

I think it’s important to find a look you like and what works for you and make the most of your own individuality. I feel more confident of my own little grooming routine since I don’t follow trends.

Reactions: 12
Hello, new to the thread but been reading it and loving all the ideas.

I definitely agree about the lash lift and tint, it changes my whole face. I also get my brows threaded and tinted.
I get Crest white strips from here: https://thewhitesmiles.co.uk/

I now approach hair care the same way I approach skin care. Meaning I actually think about it and try to take care of it!

Unfortunately, unlike skin care, where I have found amazing products at great prices (mainly from The Inkey List at the moment) I have found that more expensive hair care makes a massive difference to my hair. I have blonde balayage/ root melt and my hair needs love. I have started using kerastase products, as well a blue matrix shampoo and conditioner once every ten days or so. I used to use L’Oréal from Superdrug or wherever and i am so surprised at the difference.

I have a couple of different hair masques which I rotate, according to what my hair seems to need. I also use the olaplex bond repair regularly. I wash my hair, use a micro fibre hair towel (a must) let it air dry a bit then use a kerastase cream. Rough dry with a hairdryer then GHDs. I use L’Oréal mythic oil last. That’s my hair grooming and it works for me!

Feel Unique and Look Fantastic have discounts sometimes but Kerastase and olaplex etc is still pricey. But honestly I’ve found worth it. My hair was breaking off so much before but I’ve found it’s got better the more I’ve paid attention

I’m planning to get some Botox at the end of the year if I can afford it. I’ve had some fillers in the past and loved it (lips and cheek). No one noticed but me but I don’t care lol.

I think it’s important to find a look you like and what works for you and make the most of your own individuality. I feel more confident of my own little grooming routine since I don’t follow trends.
Hi, welcome to the thread! I have spent a lot of money on Kerastase over the years, unfortunately I don’t find it any different to High Street offerings for me, although the smells and the packaging is lush. I think K are owned by L’Oreal so a lot of the research filters down to those ranges. I think the key to trying spendier products is to try and buy travel sizes or kits before you commit. Glad you found that they work for you. I have a bad scalp and have just ordered the Inkey scalp exfoliator - I never realised what a huge range they have. Do you have any the Inkey recommendations for skin care?

Microfibre towels. A big fan of these but I find they smell mouldy after a while. I wash them regularly, make sure they dry properly, but still it happens. I have looked it up and it is a noted problem with them. Have you noticed that? I started off buying the expensive branded ones but because I have had to throw them away I am now using cheaper ones. I bought this one - it was excellent at smoothing down the hair, but it’s claim to be mould resistant turned out to be not the case. And worse than that the smell went onto my hair. I smelt like wet dog for about a week, even after several washes….it made such a difference to the smoothness of my hair though, I was so upset when this had to be ditched. Once they get the mouldy smell you can’t seem to get it out. Some people say that using an old t-shirt instead of a towel is better for the hair. When my latest microfibre ones hit the dust I might give that a go.

Microfibre towels. A big fan of these but I find they smell mouldy after a while. I wash them regularly, make sure they dry properly, but still it happens. I have looked it up and it is a noted problem with them. Have you noticed that? I started off buying the expensive branded ones but because I have had to throw them away I am now using cheaper ones. I bought this one - it was excellent at smoothing down the hair, but it’s claim to be mould resistant turned out to be not the case. And worse than that the smell went onto my hair. I smelt like wet dog for about a week, even after several washes….it made such a difference to the smoothness of my hair though, I was so upset when this had to be ditched. Once they get the mouldy smell you can’t seem to get it out. Some people say that using an old t-shirt instead of a towel is better for the hair. When my latest microfibre ones hit the dust I might give that a go.

Have you tried stripping your microfibre towels? Like laundry stripping? You're probably not, but definitely don't wash them with fabric softener.
I've never had this problem with any of mine, and I'm not even terribly careful with them. Mine are variously from camping retailers, Lidl (I think?), and Amazon, so they're nothing special and I don't think anything much would be gained by spending more.
They do make fantastic cleaning rags, cut up, once they die though!

No
Have you tried stripping your microfibre towels? Like laundry stripping? You're probably not, but definitely don't wash them with fabric softener.
I've never had this problem with any of mine, and I'm not even terribly careful with them. Mine are variously from camping retailers, Lidl (I think?), and Amazon, so they're nothing special and I don't think anything much would be gained by spending more.
They do make fantastic cleaning rags, cut up, once they die though!
I don’t use fabric conditioner on them. What do you mean by stripping?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.