Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #11

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello lovely people, I have an interview on Friday and I quite literally have nothing to wear. It's for a senior NHS role but I've been WFH since Covid and the few times I've been in the office the dress code is now significantly relaxed - think trainers and shirt dresses, etc. I really want a suit but something non-boring, I want to show a bit of my personality off and do not want to be dressed in black! I'm 5'2" (therein lies the problem - why have petite ranges gone so far downhill?!) and a size 6-8, but have curves too.

I don't mind spending on a suit/dress/shoes, whatever but I also don't want to splash out too much (e.g. no Reiss - this isn't Mumsnet) but it has to arrive tomorrow!
Are you able to get to a Primark? They actually have a few really nice suit sets, especially a light blue one I saw a couple of days ago! I can't guarantee the trouser length as I find even at 5'5, things are always super long. But yeah, they had some really nice sets so I'm sure you'd find something and you can try them on whilst there.

Good luck for the interview :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I purchased this after reading good reviews online (and got a bargain of £14 on vinted, so thought I’d give it a go), it’s SO good! My hair sometimes gets dry on the ends, a few days after washing, but I’ve been using this most nights and it doesn’t get like that anymore. It’s very hydrating on my lengths 😍 I also mix one pump with the olaplex bonding oil, and use in the ends of my hair, after blow drying

Gutted cuz when it finishes I’ll have to pay £40 for another bottle 😂

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Are you able to get to a Primark? They actually have a few really nice suit sets, especially a light blue one I saw a couple of days ago! I can't guarantee the trouser length as I find even at 5'5, things are always super long. But yeah, they had some really nice sets so I'm sure you'd find something and you can try them on whilst there.

Good luck for the interview :)
I tried the one in our town yesterday and unfortunately there was absolutely nothing!

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Hello lovely people, I have an interview on Friday and I quite literally have nothing to wear. It's for a senior NHS role but I've been WFH since Covid and the few times I've been in the office the dress code is now significantly relaxed - think trainers and shirt dresses, etc. I really want a suit but something non-boring, I want to show a bit of my personality off and do not want to be dressed in black! I'm 5'2" (therein lies the problem - why have petite ranges gone so far downhill?!) and a size 6-8, but have curves too.

I don't mind spending on a suit/dress/shoes, whatever but I also don't want to splash out too much (e.g. no Reiss - this isn't Mumsnet) but it has to arrive tomorrow!
Boden petite range is 👌🏻👌🏻

no advice as such but, I’m similar build to you, 5ft4 size 6/8 but curvy and really struggle sometimes with the proportions of clothes. I can end up looking like I’m playing dressing up with arms too long, trousers too long etc. I’ve bought a few things recently from kids ranges, a sweatshirt from Zara, a shirt from next, a jumper from H&M and find that age 13/14/15/16 can be the same as a 6/8 but designs are slightly more refined.

• Heart
How often do people wash their face? (Hear me out...)
I used to wash mine morning and evening, however I fell down a rabbit hole on Tiktok where a dermatologist advised against washing in the morning with a cleanser, and just going straight to skincare. I researched it at the time and people were agreeing it helped their skin so I did it for a while.

Recently I had a facial and the woman advised me to wash morning and night with a cleanser and now I'm thinking how was I not doing this!? My skin feels a lot better and I feel kinda gross for not doing so 😂
I use cleanseing water in the morning and wash at night,
---
I have a very few Mint Velvet clothes which are strictly for best, but have a character all their own, but never seem to age.
I never could find anything in Zara to suit me until last Summer when I got a classic crepe jacket. People tell me not to buy their jumpers. Is it true they are really soooo bad?
I can vouch for Tu in Sainsbury's. Their stuff does last. The good stuff gets snapped up immediately in store so I must remember to check out their online shop.
I used to shop online for clothes with Tesco, but since they've stopped that I never see anything decent in-store
---

OMG! The bottom left jacket in the winter bit is so me 😍
---

I'll have to have a go when I have time. I'll have to start somewhere before my big shopping trip! 😁
If you can’t find something on tu try Argos too! They have different things in the sale too! Order and pick up in Argos

Last edited:
  • Wow

Have no advice regarding the suit, perhaps you could do separates? A nice dress with a contrasting jacket or a pair of trousers with a nice blouse maybe. At least then you can mix and match from different lines to get something that fits. Best of luck with your interview 😊

Reactions: 3

Sainsbury’s do a petite range.
They have a nice check suit range in at the moment, it even has a matching waistcoat.
Or just the jacket with plain trousers and coordinating top would be smart and a bit more versatile

Has anyone with reactive/sensitive skin found any skincare with actives that haven’t flared your skin up? I tried Skin and Me (big mistake. HUGE!) and a few of The Ordinary ones but nothing seems to suit my skin? I’m desperate to try and add an active to my routine but I keep wasting money on products that are no good for me.

• Wow
Has anyone with reactive/sensitive skin found any skincare with actives that haven’t flared your skin up? I tried Skin and Me (big mistake. HUGE!) and a few of The Ordinary ones but nothing seems to suit my skin? I’m desperate to try and add an active to my routine but I keep wasting money on products that are no good for me.
How long are you trying each product for? Did you speak to Skin & Me to adjust the recipe for you?

Most of the time you skin will react, but you have to ride it out. I have been with skin and me for a year, I can honestly say I didn't think it was working but my skin is so clear and glowing now.

Reactions: 3
How long are you trying each product for? Did you speak to Skin & Me to adjust the recipe for you?

Most of the time you skin will react, but you have to ride it out. I have been with skin and me for a year, I can honestly say I didn't think it was working but my skin is so clear and glowing now.
Yes I did speak to them but they told me not to use tret again because I had such a severe reaction to it, they didn’t consider adjusting the recipe, just don’t use it again!
Yeah maybe you’re right, I ought to be more patient with how long I’m using them before declaring them No good for my skin.

I purchased this after reading good reviews online (and got a bargain of £14 on vinted, so thought I’d give it a go), it’s SO good! My hair sometimes gets dry on the ends, a few days after washing, but I’ve been using this most nights and it doesn’t get like that anymore. It’s very hydrating on my lengths 😍 I also mix one pump with the olaplex bonding oil, and use in the ends of my hair, after blow drying

Gutted cuz when it finishes I’ll have to pay £40 for another bottle 😂
Not exactly the same but I got this recently on offer in the supermarket and it’s lovely. Smells delicious and definitely not as dry and tangly as my curls usually are.

Yes I did speak to them but they told me not to use tret again because I had such a severe reaction to it, they didn’t consider adjusting the recipe, just don’t use it again!
Yeah maybe you’re right, I ought to be more patient with how long I’m using them before declaring them No good for my skin.
I agree, skin and me works great for me, my skins never been better. But maybe your skin really is too sensitive, what actually happened to it? Irritation, breakouts? Have you tried buffering first with moisturiser?

If that's a no go then the only thing I can suggest is going to a professional dermatologist to give you something suitable. I don't think any mainstream product will work, skin and me concentration of tret seems very low already

Really you need to stick with things for 3-6 months, obviously if you are having a strong reaction then stop. Also chopping and changing will send you skin into a spiral.

I would go back to basics, what are you skin concerns before your reactions?

I agree, skin and me works great for me, my skins never been better. But maybe your skin really is too sensitive, what actually happened to it? Irritation, breakouts? Have you tried buffering first with moisturiser?

If that's a no go then the only thing I can suggest is going to a professional dermatologist to give you something suitable. I don't think any mainstream product will work, skin and me concentration of tret seems very low already
Yes followed the instructions used the moisturiser first. It was fine on application but two days later I came out with huge itchy welts all over my body and forehead, this lasted for 10 days! They would go down over the day but when I woke up I had new ones in different places! It was horrible, I looked like the elephant man!

I need to find out what exactly I’m allergic to I think, would be a start!

Yes followed the instructions used the moisturiser first. It was fine on application but two days later I came out with huge itchy welts all over my body and forehead, this lasted for 10 days! They would go down over the day but when I woke up I had new ones in different places! It was horrible, I looked like the elephant man!

I need to find out what exactly I’m allergic to I think, would be a start!
Ah fair if it's allergy than that's a different story, that's not just sensitive/reactive skin. Deffo try and find out what the allergy is to

Really you need to stick with things for 3-6 months, obviously if you are having a strong reaction then stop. Also chopping and changing will send you skin into a spiral.

I would go back to basics, what are you skin concerns before your reactions?
Mainly fine lines and deep no 11’s, evening out skin tone, general pre-menopausal issues!

few of The Ordinary ones but nothing seems to suit my skin?
What products did you use? What percentage? What was your 'introduction plan'?

For example, I use the Retinol 1% from TO. I started only using it twice per week for 2 weeks, as I didn't have any bad reaction (redness, dryness, purge etc), I upped it to 3 times per week for 2 weeks etc... If on the first time I had a bad reaction to it, I'd have stopped using it, letting my skin heal, then switched to the retinol 0.5% (or whatever serum they have that is less strong) and start again (2 times per week for 2 weeks, then upping to 3 times etc).

Edit: I've normal/dry but reactive skin with a bit of rosacea. I use retinol 'only' every other day as it's the sweet spot for my skin (having the benefit without the added dryness or reaction)

Last edited:
I find E-Spa bio retinol sleeping serum very gentle but I feel a difference from using it.

What products did you use? What percentage? What was your 'introduction plan'?

For example, I use the Retinol 1% from TO. I started only using it twice per week for 2 weeks, as I didn't have any bad reaction (redness, dryness, purge etc), I upped it to 3 times per week for 2 weeks etc... If on the first time I had a bad reaction to it, I'd have stopped using it, letting my skin heal, then switched to the retinol 0.5% (or whatever serum they have that is less strong) and start again (2 times per week for 2 weeks, then upping to 3 times etc).

Edit: I've normal/dry but reactive skin with a bit of rosacea. I use retinol 'only' every other day as it's the sweet spot for my skin (having the benefit without the added dryness or reaction)
I’m not sure which ones they were now, I’ve passed everything along to a friend. I think I find it very overwhelming there seems to be millions of products with similar sounding names 😬