Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #11

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mainly fine lines and deep no 11’s, evening out skin tone, general pre-menopausal issues!
Do you use niacinamide? It's great for evening things out, and although it's rather basic I'm finding the COSRX snail cream is doing wonders for fine lines and dehydration.

A retinoid will be your best bet for real wrinkles obviously but sounds like you need to be careful!

I'm a bit skin care clueless, few months ago I used a retinol (low %) and my skin reacted badly.
Do we need 'actives'? They seem like a relatively new thing....what was in anti wrinkle stuff before retinol? Is there anything that can be recommended that does the same but v gentle. Thank you

Reactions: 1
I'm a bit skin care clueless, few months ago I used a retinol (low %) and my skin reacted badly.
Do we need 'actives'? They seem like a relatively new thing....what was in anti wrinkle stuff before retinol? Is there anything that can be recommended that does the same but v gentle. Thank you
Try the sandwich method with the retinol. Moisturiser light layer first, then retinol, then moisturiser. It can help with initial sensitivity.

Retinol has been in products for a while but active steps are newer to most peoples routines. When I grew up it was just cleanse tone moisturise. But actives help once it’s the right product in the right routine.

Sorry if this has been asked previously. But what is the best skincare/makeup that I can use on my very very dry skin? No matter what I do or use, my makeup just comes off my face or it looks cakey because my skin is SO dry.

Reactions: 2
Do you use niacinamide? It's great for evening things out, and although it's rather basic I'm finding the COSRX snail cream is doing wonders for fine lines and dehydration.

A retinoid will be your best bet for real wrinkles obviously but sounds like you need to be careful!
Thank you so much for this recommendation, I’ll look into it. The skin and me doc said to test any new products in the crook of my arm for 5 days before putting on my face so hopefully no more mega reactions to new products. 🤞

If you're just starting with skincare I'd say first try and find a good routine with a cleanser, moisturiser, and spf (for the sunnier days). Then you can figure out what 'actives' might be helpful.

Basically 'actives' is just a word to describe the active ingredient in skincare products. Here's a Boots explainer on some of them: https://www.boots.com/skincare-beau...care-basics/about-active-skincare-ingredients
---
Sorry if this has been asked previously. But what is the best skincare/makeup that I can use on my very very dry skin? No matter what I do or use, my makeup just comes off my face or it looks cakey because my skin is SO dry.
I've seen people talk about Embryolisse for very dry skin under makeup. It's a French moisturiser, and you can buy it from Boots online (and Look Fantastic, Sephora UK etc). https://www.boots.com/embryolisse-lait-creme-concentre-nourishing-moisturiser-30ml-10185913

Also my skin is more on the normal side of things but I really love The Ordinary's Natural Moisturising Factors + PhytoCeramides. It's so good in the winter months, especially when the skin around my nose can be a bit flakey.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a sheer/natural/your-nails-but-better nail polish? Ideally good with only one coat, more on the pinky side than too white-milky. Ideally from Essie, OPI or Kiko (Chanel or Dior too, but if I can avoid forking 30+ euros into a nail polish that's be nice 😅 )

Reactions: 3
Any recommendations for a sheer/natural/your-nails-but-better nail polish? Ideally good with only one coat, more on the pinky side than too white-milky. Ideally from Essie, OPI or Kiko (Chanel or Dior too, but if I can avoid forking 30+ euros into a nail polish that's be nice 😅 )
Essie ballet slippers is 👌🏻👌🏻 and Chanel ballerina is very similar but imho not as good as Essie
---
SPF is recommended to be used every day all year round.
💯 I wear it everyday of the year without fail

Essie ballet slippers is 👌🏻👌🏻 and Chanel ballerina is very similar but imho not as good as Essie
---

💯 I wear it everyday of the year without fail
Can anyone please recommend a light daily SPF for combination skin? Maybe psychological but I only really like clear gel moisturiser as I always find creams leave my face oily 🫠

Can anyone please recommend a light daily SPF for combination skin? Maybe psychological but I only really like clear gel moisturiser as I always find creams leave my face oily 🫠
I use boots soltan range as it’s perfectly fine and is long lasting x I put it on after my skincare routine but before makeup!

• Heart
I have very dry skin and do the following -
- wash my face with only water in the morning, la Roche posay cleanser at night
- day and night moisturise with la Roche posay cicaplast. It’s very thick but my skin is so dry it soaks it up quickly. I have psoriasis on my arms so sometimes I’ll use epaderm on my face at night instead.
- I swear by mixing 2-3 drops of the ordinary squalane with my foundation. Since doing this my skin no longer looks cakey or dry and sits really nice. I’ve swapped powder blush/bronzer for creams which is nice and set it will a little powder but only if needed.

I have heard good things about glossiers new spf, its a clear gel. Not tried it myself but its on my list when I run out.

• Heart
SPF is recommended to be used every day all year round.
Good point! For anti-aging purposes best practice seems to be to use spf all year round. So for @Mythoughts ideally you’d use spf every day 🙂

---
Do you want like a clear polish with a tint of pink that makes your nails look pinker? Essie and Dior both do nice versions. Or Ballet Slippers as someone else mentioned is a lovely sheer Essie pink!

Last edited:
I've seen people talk about Embryolisse for very dry skin under makeup. It's a French moisturiser, and you can buy it from Boots online (and Look Fantastic, Sephora UK etc). https://www.boots.com/embryolisse-lait-creme-concentre-nourishing-moisturiser-30ml-10185913
All the MUAs I know swear by this, it's excellent.
I also use it as an overnight mask when my skin is angry at me.
---
Instree watery sun gel with hyaluronic acid.

Korean sun protection is a game changer.
---
Thank you so much for this recommendation, I’ll look into it. The skin and me doc said to test any new products in the crook of my arm for 5 days before putting on my face so hopefully no more mega reactions to new products. 🤞
Good Molecules do a very gentle and quiet inexpensive retinol, might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
  • Heart
@Throwaway89 I've managed to screw up the lighting on this because I have a bendy lamp with lots of heads on my dressing table but this is the Instree watery gel as it comes out of the tube and immediately rubbed in, in case it helps. No shine, white residue or greasy finish.

ETA since I'm smearing things on my arms I've added a pic of how nicely the Embryolisse spreads out and sinks in for @Smv2287 - it's incredibly moisturising but you don't have to wait ages to put makeup on after using it.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Don't think this is technically on topic for this thread but drinking more water does help with being glam! Does anyone have a good Stanley Cup dupe, preferably from Amazon, please?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Don't think this is technically on topic for this thread but drinking more water does help with being glam! Does anyone have a good Stanley Cup dupe, preferably from Amazon, please?
Mine is from The Range, you could check and see if "Nitro" is on Amazon.

• Heart
Bondi sands have a gel one for the face. High spf and it works well with makeup

• Heart