Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You both had to be ‘interviewed’ before the gp signed off on your husband?!

I wouldn’t say that’s standard practice, my husband got his referral without the gp seeing or speaking to me and I got my referral without my husband seeing my gp.

That’s a different level of all kinds of wrong.
Why is it wrong? It’s a pretty big decision and a permanent form of contraception that the NHS does not cover should one wish to reverse it, which could be tricky/may not work and costs several grand.

Reactions: 1
I am looking at my wardrobe and i feel like burning it all and starting again :ROFLMAO:
One of my issues is that I've gained about half a stone and all my trousers are really tight - I am struggling to lose the weight but at the same time I don't want to buy clothes in a bigger size. I'm resorting to wearing stretchy black pants and then trying to coordinate some tops around this. I really want to have a chic, French style wardrobe but then i forget that and spend £50 on Shein. I know I'm my own worst enemy.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
What has helped me with clothing is choosing an outfit off Pinterest etc first and then searching out the pieces to put that outfit together. You can then look at specific shops for the item and if somewhere has similar you can decide between them.

I’ve got pieces lately from Asda - online, Tesco - store, M & S, Zara for the odd thing, Primark for the odd thing. River Island for the odd thing.
Something I started to do was to make a note of classic looks and styles and colours, and start shopping for them rather than looking at what was on offer as on trend. I’d find a tv presenter or character on tv and notice how they dressed that looked classic and not dated.

Yes to M&S, Next, John Lewis and Debenhams online.

How often do people wash their face? (Hear me out...)
I used to wash mine morning and evening, however I fell down a rabbit hole on Tiktok where a dermatologist advised against washing in the morning with a cleanser, and just going straight to skincare. I researched it at the time and people were agreeing it helped their skin so I did it for a while.

Recently I had a facial and the woman advised me to wash morning and night with a cleanser and now I'm thinking how was I not doing this!? My skin feels a lot better and I feel kinda gross for not doing so 😂
I use a cleanser or cleansing balm and then remove with one of those Superdrug face cloths, dampened with warm water, twice a day. My face usually gets wet in the shower, so I’m not overly concerned about washing it aside from cleansing.

What has helped me with clothing is choosing an outfit off Pinterest etc first and then searching out the pieces to put that outfit together. You can then look at specific shops for the item and if somewhere has similar you can decide between them.

I’ve got pieces lately from Asda - online, Tesco - store, M & S, Zara for the odd thing, Primark for the odd thing. River Island for the odd thing.
I've never quite got my head around Pinterest. I have an account but don't use it, but they seem to have rediscovered me recently and have been bombarding my email, which is a bit irritating.
Do you find that Asda clothing doesn't last long as that has been my experience, apart from their jumpers? The tops seem to develop holes quite quickly. I've also found this with H and M.
I used to like Principles which has evolved into Mint Velvet. I've got some old favourites from there still.

Something I started to do was to make a note of classic looks and styles and colours, and start shopping for them rather than looking at what was on offer as on trend. I’d find a tv presenter or character on tv and notice how they dressed that looked classic and not dated.

Yes to M&S, Next, John Lewis and Debenhams online.

I use a cleanser or cleansing balm and then remove with one of those Superdrug face cloths, dampened with warm water, twice a day. My face usually gets wet in the shower, so I’m not overly concerned about washing it aside from cleansing.
I absolutely love it, I’m a bit obsessed really 😂

I’ve got boards for example

Girls night out
Date night
City weekend break Summer/Winter with the place I’m going.
Winter outfits
Summer outfits
Holiday
Daytime looks……

It’s useful for shopping your own wardrobe as well I’ve found. You can turn all emails and notifications off.

**edit @Chocolategoggler that was for you!!

With Asda I have gone for their edit sections and the quality has been great. I got some really nice wide leg trousers from them a while back and the quality was on par with some similar from M & S that were a lot more money

Reactions: 3
I was looking at Mint Velvet in John Lewis the other day, there were some really beautiful pieces but just too expensive for me in terms of the wear I’d get out of them. I’ve got a 3 yr old and I’d just be terrified of getting anything stained. I basically live in 3 pairs of Betty leggings and a random assortment of hoodies.
I’ve tried to buy a few bits from Zara but have had limited success. Got a few nice tops and cardis but some stuff is really poor quality. Having to return stuff to store in order to avoid the returns charge does my head in too.
I keep meaning to check out Sainsburys more. I got a jumper from there a few years ago (because I saw Helen Skelton wearing it in the DM 🤣) and I love it - it’s washed really well and great quality.

I am looking at my wardrobe and i feel like burning it all and starting again :ROFLMAO:
One of my issues is that I've gained about half a stone and all my trousers are really tight - I am struggling to lose the weight but at the same time I don't want to buy clothes in a bigger size. I'm resorting to wearing stretchy black pants and then trying to coordinate some tops around this. I really want to have a chic, French style wardrobe but then i forget that and spend £50 on Shein. I know I'm my own worst enemy.
Have a look at the Body Shape Masterclass for your figure type from the link I posted upthread. Might give you some ideas dressing your figure with your current wardrobe and extra items if needed
My figure has changed so much since menopause. I have braved buying a shirt which previously never suited me. I picked it up in Primark for £8 and I've seen a Laura Blair video, where she paired a shirt with a skirt style I have in my wardrobe and didn't know what to do with. It will look chic and disguise the damage done to my figure until I can lose the weight.

Girls night out
Date night
Winter outfits
Summer outfits
Holiday
Daytime looks……

It’s useful for shopping your own wardrobe as well I’ve found. You can turn all emails and notifications off.

With Asda I have gone for their edit sections and the quality has been great. I got some really nice wide leg trousers from them a while back and the quality was on par with some similar from M & S that were a lot more money
Sorry, boards? It's all going over my head. I think I need some interested teenager upwards to educate me. Unfortunately the only one I have to hand is a bossy six year old who is old beyond her years, but not there yet. 😁
Thanks for the heads up re Asda's edit. I didn't know about that. I was looking on the website for some trousers that a You Tuber's mother was raving about, but I couldn't find them. Nor could I find a lovely lilac dress another You Tuber showed from River Island.
Where are all these nice clothes???!!!!🤷😁

Here’s an example of one of my Pinterest boards for anyone interested
IMG_1497.png
IMG_1498.png

The outfit above I recreated, I already have the jeans and boots, I searched a similar top from Next, I think it was £14 and the jacket I got a similar one from Asda which was around £25 I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Girls night out
Date night
Winter outfits
Summer outfits
Holiday
Daytime looks……

Why have I never thought to section up my pins!!! Can’t wait to get home and organise my Pinterest! 😂

• Haha
Sorry, boards? It's all going over my head. I think I need some interested teenager upwards to educate me. Unfortunately the only one I have to hand is a bossy six year old who is old beyond her years, but not there yet. 😁
Thanks for the heads up re Asda's edit. I didn't know about that. I was looking on the website for some trousers that a You Tuber's mother was raving about, but I couldn't find them. Nor could I find a lovely lilac dress another You Tuber showed from River Island.
Where are all these nice clothes???!!!!🤷😁
Honestly it’s so easy, once you get your head around it. Think of it as a mood board , give it a heading, search through and add your pins (ideas) to look a later.

Attachments

I was looking at Mint Velvet in John Lewis the other day, there were some really beautiful pieces but just too expensive for me in terms of the wear I’d get out of them. I’ve got a 3 yr old and I’d just be terrified of getting anything stained. I basically live in 3 pairs of Betty leggings and a random assortment of hoodies.
I’ve tried to buy a few bits from Zara but have had limited success. Got a few nice tops and cardis but some stuff is really poor quality. Having to return stuff to store in order to avoid the returns charge does my head in too.
I keep meaning to check out Sainsburys more. I got a jumper from there a few years ago (because I saw Helen Skelton wearing it in the DM 🤣) and I love it - it’s washed really well and great quality.
I have a very few Mint Velvet clothes which are strictly for best, but have a character all their own, but never seem to age.
I never could find anything in Zara to suit me until last Summer when I got a classic crepe jacket. People tell me not to buy their jumpers. Is it true they are really soooo bad?
I can vouch for Tu in Sainsbury's. Their stuff does last. The good stuff gets snapped up immediately in store so I must remember to check out their online shop.
I used to shop online for clothes with Tesco, but since they've stopped that I never see anything decent in-store
---
Here’s an example of one of my Pinterest boards for anyone interested View attachment 2878763View attachment 2878764

The outfit above I recreated, I already have the jeans and boots, I searched a similar top from Next, I think it was £14 and the jacket I got a similar one from Asda which was around £25 I think.
OMG! The bottom left jacket in the winter bit is so me 😍
---
Honestly it’s so easy, once you get your head around it. Think of it as a mood board , give it a heading, search through and add your pins (ideas) to look a later.
I'll have to have a go when I have time. I'll have to start somewhere before my big shopping trip! 😁

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Think I’m asking the impossible here: is there such a thing as a decent backless/very low back bra above a D cup? I’m a 34E/F depending on the brand and where I am in my cycle and have a new back tattoo I want to show off. I use the stick on individual ‘bunny ear’ cups that sort of lift and position your boobs but come up too high for a lot of outfits. Do the ‘butterfly’ type actually work? Would love some honest reviews.

I only wash with water in the morning and cleanser in the evening, but if your skin doesn't get dry and dehydrated, and cleansing in the morning and evening makes it feel better, then do it. I don't think not using cleanser in the morning is gross though, not like I'm touching my face with dirty hands or getting sweaty during the night

To add, if I don't wear any make up at all during the day I might only wash it with water in the evening too 😅
Exactly the same as you. So much better off double cleansing at night properly than washing your face in the morning for no reason.

Only time I would suggest it is if you’re using retinols and going to be in very high UV settings, you might be better off making sure the retinol from the night before is gone and using a high spf.

I've always found cleansing in morning and night works best for me. ATM I have dry skin due to baby girl so extra moisturiser solves that issue 9 times out of 10. Double cleansing makes me come out in spots.

I'll have to have a go when I have time. I'll have to start somewhere before my big shopping trip! 😁

A lightweight camel/beige well-cut coat or jacket is a great place to start. They will always serve you well, as they are classy and versatile and can be teamed with any colour of clothing

Reactions: 5

A lightweight camel/beige well-cut coat or jacket is a great place to start. They will always serve you well, as they are classy and versatile and can be teamed with any colour of clothing
I had one (from Marks and Spencer with an animal print lining). Caused a sensation amongst my friends.
It was ruined by washing powder. 😭
I still have it but it's so washed out looking I look a drab in it now 😭
Have been on the hunt for it's replacement since.....😥

• Heart
Exactly the same as you. So much better off double cleansing at night properly than washing your face in the morning for no reason.

Only time I would suggest it is if you’re using retinols and going to be in very high UV settings, you might be better off making sure the retinol from the night before is gone and using a high spf.
On mornings where I've used tret the night before I cleanse in the morning. I use LED mask each morning and the one time I just splashed my face with water instead of cleansing, I reacted to the LED which has never happened before. It soothes redness not causes it. I'm certain it was the leftover tret. Hasn't happened any time I've cleansed properly. If it was a glycolic or recovery night I've been fine just using water.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.