Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

abcdsb7

A tip that works amazingly for me is if I cba to clean up, say if the time is 6.53pm for example, I tell myself to clean/tidy until just 7pm and it motivates me because it’s only 7 mins lol, I alwaaays end up doing more because I’m in the groove and the hardest part is starting lol just how my brain works x

• Heart
Reactions: 71

Carapop

VIP Member
I’ll just say something re our tendencies to save things for the perfect occasion etc

my granny died with a mink coat in her wardrobe that was entirely moth eaten. She never felt worthy of wearing it. Felt it would be wasted on her. And instead it disintegrated. Wouldn’t it have been better off being worn to death?!

or my mum who is in intensive care right now fighting for her life, and I saw tonight that she has shoes with tags still on, that she didn’t want to wear until she’d fully worn out her near destroyed current pair.

no ”thing” is so precious that we should protect it to out-live us

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 65

Ingognito.Queen

VIP Member
Ohh great idea! I love the other thread :love:

These would be my top tips:

1. Make the bed every morning but fold back the duvet to air it out.

2. No shoes in the house/shoes left inside the front door. I hate to say this to guests but it really has made such a difference in the house knowing that no dirt has been dragged in and all carpets are spotless.

3. Tumble dryer sheets in shoes so there are no smells.

4. Wipe down the shower after every use and shine the glass doors. It only takes 2 minutes and is so worth it.

5. Boxes with labels in the utility room and attic. Don't just throw stuff in a box and put it away.

6. Fresh flowers in the hallway.

7. No wires on display (back of the tv etc) I just think it looks messy.

8. Use a lint roller on the couches/soft furnishings.

9. Spray a piece of kitchen roll with Zoflora and leave it in the bin to make it smell nice. Or use bicarb soda to eliminate smells.

10. Have perfume bottles on display. I think this looks so glam.

• Heart
Reactions: 54

wafflesnwings

VIP Member
I'm very glad for this thread, I have depressive moods and I know that a messy space can make it worse, so I'm keen to read everyone's tips. I do my best, but some days are easier than others. Something that helps a room look cosier are standing lamps (I have one that stands in the corner and it makes for a nice atmosphere and a room feel snuggly)

• Heart
Reactions: 42

JustmeKC

VIP Member
New tip - kick everyone else out. Honest to jaysis I’m sick of more shite everywhere I turn. And if I clean a room they move into it, mess it up and the pattern continues!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

If i told you …

VIP Member
What about giving it an airing though?
I do this, but whilst I’m having my shower etc, I clean the en-suite after myself. Go downstairs have my coffee and breakfast. I then go back upstairs to dress, do my hair and makeup. All the while my bedroom and en-suite windows are open. When I have finished I close the windows and make my bed. That way I fe that the room. Is fresh and ready for the evening.

My main go to tips are:~

1. Loos are cleaned daily
2. Rubbish is taken out after dinner
3. No washing up is left and kitchen surfaces are wiped down
4. All floors are cleaned daily
5. Everything is put away when not being used. giving a clutter free home
6. Rooms aired daily
7. Outside such as doors, steps and pathways are included in my weekly routine
8. Washing is either hung out or in the tumble dryer and folded and away as soon as it dry
9. To do lists are made daily and ticked off, and those jobs that aren’t are carried forward
10. Finally I put on music and sing and dance whilst I’m doing my cleaning

All the above takes no longer than an hour at the most 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 39

candyland_

VIP Member
Cleaning routines
Regular declutters
Have a home for everything

I love to spend time making my home look and feel fresh. I have set days for deep cleans (Eg Monday I will spend an hour doing the bedrooms top to bottom. Tuesday could be a deep clean of the bathroom and then a quick daily blitz around). I never spend more than an hour on a room but it keeps it nice by doing it regularly and means that I only need to spend five minutes straightening up a room for the rest of the week.

Sometimes just making your bed can be a starting point and it freshens up your room.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Lola UK

VIP Member
Ooh I’m reading and taking notes

My tip would be… de clutter! Less is always more. Looks more pleasing to the eye when a few things are properly placed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34

Carapop

VIP Member
Thank you!

i cannot watch anything or read anything or listen to anything. I usually spend all my spare time with books but my brain feels broken. I read the same paragraph a dozen times before giving up. This place is the only source of distraction that can seem to hold my attention. I think because there is just such variety in subject matter and there’s no plot to follow and I’m so tired of all the constant small talk in hospital whereas here there is no demand on me to contribute in any way. Tattle is a community service. Naysayers be damned.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

bellinibobble

VIP Member
My favourite thing to do at home is open all the windows, even in the dead of winter. No plug in or diffuser or candle can top fresh air IMO. I always side eye my neighbours when they don’t have their windows open, especially when it’s warm. 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 31

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
Does anyone have tips on how to remove really persistent limescale in the loo? It’s high up, from where the water comes in to the bowl when you flush. I’ve tried Viakal, bicarb, Kilrock (useless as it just drained off but probably my fault for not thinking it through), vinegar, the Dr Beckmann foam, and nothing has worked.
During lockdown, I took an old dinner knife that was otherwise going in the bin and I chipped off all the limescale from under the waterline (incredibly satisfying, weirdly) and scooped them out with the water afterwards and put some Viakal in.

What exciting times those were.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

coconochanel

VIP Member
Oh great thread (y). My tips are....

No clutter
Diffusers or plug in air freshners
Decanting foods into jars like cereal, pasta etc
Boxes to put things in like letters etc makes it look tidier
Stick to a few neutral colours throughout the home

I'd say do one big clean a week and then a couple of quick cleans.
You deffo don't need a hundred different cleaning product I stick to...anti bac spray, bleach, bathroom cleaner and then a polish for wood/glass.
Tidy the lounge/Wash dishes before you go to bed at night so the kitchen is clean in the morning (nothing worse then waking up to a messy kitchen/lounge IMO).

• Heart

HaloGirl

VIP Member
Following on from a discussion in the “Tips on how to look more groomed, glamorous or polished thread”, I set this one up to cover all tips in order to keep your home glamorous. Shout outs to @sammien89 @Codiaeum for the suggestion and encouragement @Rodneytrotter

Last edited:
  • Heart

MissTeddy

VIP Member
I’ve come across from the other (amazing) thread. Thank you so much for starting this.
I decorate my home almost exclusively in light colours, I’m constantly putting stuff away - no cluttered surfaces, and I vacuum downstairs daily. I make the beds and empty the dishwasher first thing every morning. Routine is key, it builds habit.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Make the bed as soon as you get out of it. I do this, then go and have a shower and walk back out of the en suite and it's lovely to see the bed made. It instantly makes the room look tidier.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I feel like I’ve had to work harder to keep a good routine since WFH became a thing. I used to fluff things up during the week and then do a no stone unturned clean on a Saturday morning, but now I seem to ignore it all if I allow myself to because I know I’m home for a lot of the day. I wouldn’t say my home is glamorous at all but I work methodically because I have a lazy brain. If I do a task, I’ll do it thoroughly so that I can box it off and not think about it again for a while. I do wish this worked with laundry though :ROFLMAO:.

Totally agree with flipping the covers back in the morning and opening the windows for an hour even in winter. I also have an air purifier in the bedroom which has massively cut down on dusting in the room. I’d say what was a once a week job is now once a month. I dread to think what we were breathing in at night before it.

On the topic of dust, I don’t use any kind of dry dusters, instead I use anti bac spray and kitchen roll to collect dust and dirt from windowsills and blinds. I just find it more containing. Mops with wet wipes on the end for tiles and ceilingfor the same reason.

About twice a year I will clean the threshold bits of all external doors using those sharp wooden bbq sticks, cotton buds and elbow grease spray. Also, I haven’t had a dog for years now but when I did she scratched the upvc doors with her claws and I found that upvc cleaner on a soft cloth buffed them all out like new. It also gets rid of those black dots you get on external windowsills.

Magic erasers are fantastic for marks on walls and doors, just be careful on Matt paint as it will take a layer off. I’ve also learned to buy a roller tester pot of each room colour for easy touch ups.

I have to also agree with forcing yourself to get up and do short bursts of cleaning. Setting a 15 minute timer and telling yourself whatever is done in this room when the timer goes off is fine. You nearly always end up doing more.

Seasonal decluttering, be it a drawer at a time or tipping the whole room into a pile. Concentrate on one thing a week/month no matter how small and do it with intent. Only keep things in a room that you actually use in that room where possible. A lidded basket by the front door with umbrellas, gloves, screwdrivers and the electric meter key keeps it all in one place and saves leaving and then traipsing back in with shoes on looking for stuff. Likewise a stack of pretty baskets on the stairs can hold every wire and cable you’ve owned since 1989. Also recommend buying a battery organiser, never lose or run out of batteries again. It even excites the saddest of us to buy more and top it up in time for Christmas.

Oh and for carpets I have a bissell spot clean machine. My eyesight is awful and my wrists are knackered so I’d rather be down on the floor with a lighter machine doing than lugging those upright heavier ones about. They’re also great for the stairs. You can buy 5ltr of solution from Amazon for about £15 and it lasts forever.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
Got the painter and decorater in before the end of the months. Hallway, living room and my bedroom are being wallpapered. Then in November my new interior doors arrive. I've decided my fella is gonna get me a Jo Malone candle for Christmas and I'll just use it to send him the bat signal. If the candles on the knickers are coming OFF!

• Haha
Reactions: 27