Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do submerge the entire flat mop thing in a bucket, I generally fill it with a few litres of water and a bit of the detergent, and then wring that out really well. I like to hoover before, but I always get a lot of dirt on the pad. If there's a spill or something, I put water plus a tiny bit of the detergent in a spray bottle, spritz on the area and wipe it with either a cloth or the flat mop, but for doing the whole thing, I like the bucket better, even though it's a bit of a hassle, as I imagine the floor isn't getting clean otherwise.

What are your oven cleaning tips? And also how often do you clean your oven?
I'm afraid to admit the last time I cleaned mine - 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Depends on the state of the oven, I’d say, and what you usually cook in it.
If mostly crumbs, you can make a big difference by swiping them out and then make a paste of dish soap and baking soda and wipe with that, which should tackle greasy spots.
If you have a lot of truly burnt in grease from any dishes spritzing about, maybe try the method from Aurikatariina, she uses oven cleaner spray and then puts plastic foil over it for a few ours, to stop it from drying out. That seems to tackle even the worst messes rather easily for her.
I clean mine two, maybe three times a year. I once went the extra mile and took the glass doors apart to clean in between, but it was a lot of hassle and I really wouldn’t do it again unless there are some nasty stains there. Plus, those things a are heavy! Don’t do that alone! I’ve a bit of a lingering nightmare from a student party several years ago where the flat wasn’t very clean in general. I had a very strong urge to clean the oven the next day, after I had seen theirs. :sick:

Reactions: 5
This is one job where I am happy to outsource! I am very careful with money generally but over cleaning (especially if it’s a mammoth task) is too manky and awkward.

This is one job where I am happy to outsource! I am very careful with money generally but over cleaning (especially if it’s a mammoth task) is too manky and awkward.
Yep defo agree with this! Going to pay to get mine done before Christmas, it’s such a ball ache with the oven pride 😫

• Heart
Things that have arrived from Amazon today:

1. Scrub daddies multi pack
2. Kleeneze tile cleaner (actually mortified now at how shoddily I’d wiped the high-up bathroom tiles before)
3. Massive thing of vinegar
4. Top up of drain unblocker
5. Cider vinegar hair shampoo - OK that one is unrelated but the hard water here in London is 😭

Are we all becoming cleaning influencers?

I did mine over Christmas while trying to keep busy while being slowly ghosted by my ex. It was nice and therapeutic and not too hard BUT I messed it up somehow by getting a drizzle of the liquid stuck between the two glass panes of the oven door. Now I’m not sure what to do. Should have outsourced I reckon.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Things that have arrived from Amazon today:

1. Scrub daddies multi pack
2. Kleeneze tile cleaner (actually mortified now at how shoddily I’d wiped the high-up bathroom tiles before)
3. Massive thing of vinegar
4. Top up of drain unblocker
5. Cider vinegar hair shampoo - OK that one is unrelated but the hard water here in London is 😭

Are we all becoming cleaning influencers?

I did mine over Christmas while trying to keep busy while being slowly ghosted by my ex. It was nice and therapeutic and not too hard BUT I messed it up somehow by getting a drizzle of the liquid stuck between the two glass panes of the oven door. Now I’m not sure what to do. Should have outsourced I reckon.
Even better

We're Hinchers.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
You can unclench the door of most ovens and lay it flat down, there should be a little hinge which allows you to take the door apart. That thing is heavy though, I couldn’t do it alone.
I didn’t know you could hire someone specifically for the oven!
My nemesis in the kitchen is the ventilator over the stove, the backside of it, because over time it has this nasty sticky grease. It’s a pain to clean and I wish I could get someone in, but if I found someone I’d probably not want to pay for it….I assume it would get rather expensive, it’s a lengthy task.

Cracks me up seeing some of you guys having a big gossip on other forums then discussing cleaning tips here 🙌🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I did mine at the weekend and wish I had outsourced. It's probably been about 9/12 months since I last did it and something that was once probably a sauce looked to have got burned onto the bottom alongside the expected greasy gross stuff elsewhere :sick: Truly had not appreciated how easy it is to get filthy.

I alternated scrubbing with wire wool, the back of a brush used kind of like a wallpaper stripper & a scrub daddy, and product wise I started with degreaser, switched to the pink stuff paste for some bits and then also transitioned to a baking soda/water paste I saw on a YouTube video half way through. It looks lovely now, but it probably took about 2 hours of hating every second, and my thumb went numb from scrubbing so hard 😂

A tip from another YouTube as I was looking up how to clean between the glass door - almost all glass front ovens have a gap either at the top or bottom of the door! If you've got a fly swatter, wrap a cloth with glass cleaner round it and you should be able to slip it in and clean. Obviously if you've got a lot trapped there you might need to separate them.

I think I'm going to start doing a quicker clean every month or every other month to keep on top of it, if nothing is burnt on it's probably a 10 min job. If not I'm definitely considering hiring a pro instead of just working through anything & everything in my cleaning cupboard.

I just clean mine with a cleaning paste?
Take the glass out, spray with elbow grease,wipe off, repeat a couple of times and all done.
I was actually looking at the Astonish paste today to top up as it smells incredible and minty!

Reactions: 2
Also if you’re going on holiday bleach the toilets just before you go!
Yep! Mine are currently bleaching away waiting for my return to their sparklyness.

Mops wise, I've tried the disposable ones and found them a bit crap. I now use a bog standard twist mops for my kitchen tiles, with hot water, a squeeze of washing up liquid and half a cap of Asda all purpose floor wash and it's fine. Bathrooms/downstairs loo I often spray floor cleaner and antibac then wipe with an old towel and just chuck in the wash. I do have a steam mop but it's a faff so only use it occasionally.

My difficulty is my wooden floors. They are oiled so you can't use much on them. I used to clean them with baby wipes and good old elbow grease but now they've changed baby wipes and they're rubbish for cleaning 🙄.

Beat mop for kitchen laminate? It’s apparently waterproof but I’m scared to use anything other then a cloth on it. It’s white marble look and our dining room chairs leave black marks.
You can buy felt to stick on the bottom of your chair legs, that will stop the black marks 🙂

For a mop, I use an ecloth mini mop as we're short on space to store one. Works fine for us.

Oven - pink stuff left on for a short while then rubbed in a circular motion. If it's stubborn, I use a blade to scrape the glass, makes light work of it. For inside the oven I use oven liners, anything burnt on just comes straight off and into the bin, and they can go in the dishwasher.

Reactions: 4
Me 🙋‍♀️
It really is a simple tip but so effective!
My kids are back at school now so their bedrooms are top of my list for tomorrow!

@abcdsb7 I cut up old towels for wiping/cleaning.
That’s my motto to!

I have a few:
Don’t put it down…put it away
Stop…finish the most important task then reassess
One thing at a time
Little habits stack up
Do something now that you’ll be grateful for tomorrow

• Heart
Reactions: 21
One of the best things I did was buy a oven liner to put on the bottom! Catches all the spillages and you can wash it too

agree with others about outsourcing a cleaner to do the oven! I’m going to look at getting mine done soon
unsure of prices but I’m guessing it can’t be more than £20?
money well spent I think

I’m sure it’s more than £20 to clean the oven! I think I looked once (mine is vile) and it was about £60!! I might be wrong though and definitely happy to be corrected 🤣 I’m definitely going to look to have it done at some point, it needs it so bad!

I’m sure it’s more than £20 to clean the oven! I think I looked once (mine is vile) and it was about £60!! I might be wrong though and definitely happy to be corrected 🤣 I’m definitely going to look to have it done at some point, it needs it so bad!
Yeah I think my cleaner charges an extra £50 to deep clean the oven

Reactions: 3
I've hardwood flooring as well and I bought the detergent that was advised by the "guarantee slip" for the flooring. It's called "Bona Cleaner" and I got it from Amazon - seems a tad expensive at first, but I've had the bottle for two years now and hardly made a dent in it. I use it with a regular flat mop. I've found that when you wring them out well it's completely alright, no need to worry about wetness, as long as you're not leaving puddles. I've also found that the wet wipes aren't cutting it, they're just good for in-between.
The floor also looks much nicer afterward, since it's wooden, you need to care for it otherwise it'll get dull and dry, the detergent is slightly acidic which will prevent the wood from drying out.
I think i will try some of this as well - thanks for the tip! We have hardwood floors totally upstairs. I find the ecloth flat microfibre mop is really good with just water (ring it out a bit obvs) is really good and quick after hoovering the worst up. It’s a rectangle head with a blue cloth you rip off and wash. Although we don’t wear shoes upstairs so it’s not as dirty as it could be!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.