Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah maybe this is the one for me!
The main thing I hate about steam mops is not being able to add anything to them as I like to smell my clean floors 😂 , I end up sprinkling floor cleaner over the floor and then mopping over.

On the Vileda, I have that for my lounge floor as that's real wood (I've got the flash speed mop as well, honestly no one needs 3 mops do they!). It's good as it doesn't get the floor too wet but I always feel like I'm mopping with dirty water :( I've not done this for far too long but one thing which looks really good on the wood floor is polishing it with wood silk polish (not normal furniture polish mind, that will just make it slippy 🤦‍♀️) really brings out the shine. Takes bloody ages on your hands and knees though!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've hardwood flooring as well and I bought the detergent that was advised by the "guarantee slip" for the flooring. It's called "Bona Cleaner" and I got it from Amazon - seems a tad expensive at first, but I've had the bottle for two years now and hardly made a dent in it. I use it with a regular flat mop. I've found that when you wring them out well it's completely alright, no need to worry about wetness, as long as you're not leaving puddles. I've also found that the wet wipes aren't cutting it, they're just good for in-between.
The floor also looks much nicer afterward, since it's wooden, you need to care for it otherwise it'll get dull and dry, the detergent is slightly acidic which will prevent the wood from drying out.
thank you! I’m going to sound such a dope but what’s a flat mop?!

thank you! I’m going to sound such a dope but what’s a flat mop?!
1660818700330.jpeg

These thingies - you attach a washable pad underneath and the thing kind of folds in the middle. They are the most common around here, but on the other hand, hardly anybody uses a mop with these longish threads on it. I like them, as they don'T take up a lot of space, dry quickly and you can wring them out really well, so your floor won't get too wet with them.

Reactions: 4
My favourite thing to do at home is open all the windows, even in the dead of winter. No plug in or diffuser or candle can top fresh air IMO. I always side eye my neighbours when they don’t have their windows open, especially when it’s warm. 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 31
View attachment 1508333

These thingies - you attach a washable pad underneath and the thing kind of folds in the middle. They are the most common around here, but on the other hand, hardly anybody uses a mop with these longish threads on it. I like them, as they don'T take up a lot of space, dry quickly and you can wring them out really well, so your floor won't get too wet with them.
Ooooh. Yes those mops that look like a wig don’t interest me at all! Is the flat mop used with a bucket too?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Ooooh. Yes those mops that look like a wig don’t interest me at all! Is the flat mop used with a bucket too?
wig :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Exactly what they look like!
Yep, you use them with a bucket - there are combinations you can buy where the bucket has a feature where you can slide the entire contraption in and it wrings it out, so you don't need to detach it, swish it around, wring and then attach it again. Vileda makes one that seems to be quite popular.

Reactions: 1
wig :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Exactly what they look like!
Yep, you use them with a bucket - there are combinations you can buy where the bucket has a feature where you can slide the entire contraption in and it wrings it out, so you don't need to detach it, swish it around, wring and then attach it again. Vileda makes one that seems to be quite popular.
Wring out a flat mop? Who knew mopping was so confusing!

My favourite thing to do at home is open all the windows, even in the dead of winter. No plug in or diffuser or candle can top fresh air IMO. I always side eye my neighbours when they don’t have their windows open, especially when it’s warm. 😆
Same. I'm obsessed with having all the windows and doors open and getting air flowing through.

Reactions: 14
I have to take my moan back as I've been using my steam mop all day 😂

Sorry to add on, my friend has the Shark one now and had a Vax one and preferred the Vax as you could use detergent
This is what my mum said she don’t like about the shark that you can’t use detergent, but that’s kind of the point of having a steam mop. She also said it’s ‘faff’ getting it out. Oh well waste not want not I’ll pick it up at the weekend and give it a go.

This is what my mum said she don’t like about the shark that you can’t use detergent, but that’s kind of the point of having a steam mop. She also said it’s ‘faff’ getting it out. Oh well waste not want not I’ll pick it up at the weekend and give it a go.
I’ve got a shark steam mop and I really like it. If it’s the same as mine you can even steam your carpets with it. If I feel like my kitchen floors are really lucky ( from pet & son) I’ll spray the floor first and then use the mop. But it leaves my kitchen tiles really shiny without 😊 they’re definitely worth it and I don’t find it a faff at all.

I think they feel like a "faff" if you don't use them often enough if that makes sense.
I didnt think about the detergent really when I bought it, I just noticed that it does cut through grease and grime quicker. Or in my case, my kids babybel wax shell things 🙄

Reactions: 3
I live in a 3rd floor flat. Can't remember when my windows were last closed!
Unfortunately I also live behind a fried chicken shop and someone who must *really* likes to get the most out of their onions occasionally

• Sad
Wring out a flat mop? Who knew mopping was so confusing!
Mte! Am I doing it wrong?!

I hoover extra carefully, spray the floor with with flash floor stuff/ offbrand equivalent or bleach spray, then go over it with the flat mop. I fling that mop head in the machine then go over the floor again with a clean, dry one to get it dry/ not-streaky. No soaking or wetting of mop heads... Am I a scummer?!

My mop heads are white and microfiber-y so I can see if it comes up dead filthy, which it generally doesn't.

Every now & then I'll do a Proper Hands & Knees Clean. Unbeatable/ unpleasant. 👍

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.