Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What a good idea for a thread! Just parking my bum here for ideas, 5 of us here in a mobile home so clutter can be a real issue 😑

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm accepting that my current vac is just not cutting it anymore - I'm thinking about getting a shark rechargeable one, but does anyone have any recommendations? It's obviously not a cheap purchase so keen to buy something that really works! My hair is super long and gets everywhere so needs to be able to cope with that😂
I have a shark and I think they are a bag of tit. Irs meant to be the Pet one and good with hair but I’m constantly untangling it !! And irs always getting blocked

Reactions: 10
I'm accepting that my current vac is just not cutting it anymore - I'm thinking about getting a shark rechargeable one, but does anyone have any recommendations? It's obviously not a cheap purchase so keen to buy something that really works! My hair is super long and gets everywhere so needs to be able to cope with that😂
I've got a corded shark stick, it's great, really long lead.

It has to be a Sebo. No ifs and buts. Best vacuum on the market

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve got a few vacuum cleaners. I’ve not had a Shark (it has very mixed reviews). Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with a Henry - it’s not the best on the back, but out of all the vacuum cleaners it’s stood the test of time!

• Heart
I have a shark and I think they are a bag of tit. Irs meant to be the Pet one and good with hair but I’m constantly untangling it !! And irs always getting blocked
Have to agree - I have a cordless Shark and it’s a reasonable every-day, quick whizz round vacuum but it takes an insane amount of maintenance and I’ve grown to hate it. I have long hair and am constantly untangling it, it always needs emptying or the filters washing and over time, it’s got incredibly noisy. It’s fine to use quickly to suck up a few cat biscuits but I don’t like it as a main vacuum. We had a Miele upright for years and I loved that, but it was built like a tank and was too unwieldy for my small house (but I would totally recommend Miele uprights - if they still make them - if you have a lot of floor space). We recently bought a Miele bagged vac and I really like it, it’s better than the Shark for proper cleaning.

Reactions: 5
I’ve got a few vacuum cleaners. I’ve not had a Shark (it has very mixed reviews). Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with a Henry - it’s not the best on the back, but out of all the vacuum cleaners it’s stood the test of time!
I like Henry’s too!!

Reactions: 4
I used my friends Miele bagged vacuum once. Instantly envious.
Don't think my Dyson does the job tbqh
Have to agree - I have a cordless Shark and it’s a reasonable every-day, quick whizz round vacuum but it takes an insane amount of maintenance and I’ve grown to hate it. I have long hair and am constantly untangling it, it always needs emptying or the filters washing and over time, it’s got incredibly noisy. It’s fine to use quickly to suck up a few cat biscuits but I don’t like it as a main vacuum. We had a Miele upright for years and I loved that, but it was built like a tank and was too unwieldy for my small house (but I would totally recommend Miele uprights - if they still make them - if you have a lot of floor space). We recently bought a Miele bagged vac and I really like it, it’s better than the Shark for proper cleaning.

Also my favourite method spray is the Peach anti bac.
Use furniture oil instead of polish, I have the orange, I got it in tk maxx but it's available in John Lewis as well
I found once I got rid of my white furniture in my living room and replaced it with a polished wood range, it looked so much more polished. I decorate with a few books and candle/diffuser. I used to think the fashion coffee table book trend was naff but they look stunning on my sideboard.
I also use proper China coasters to add to the style and have some vintage jasperware. You can pick it up on Etsy or eBay cheap enough but the pieces are absolutely beautiful (I got my jasperware for free!)
My living area looks so much more classy.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced diffusers that last? I love the white company and molton brown but can’t only usually treat myself at Christmas and on my birthday. I need a cheaper alternative please 🙏

Reactions: 8
Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced diffusers that last? I love the white company and molton brown but can’t only usually treat myself at Christmas and on my birthday. I need a cheaper alternative please 🙏
Yankee have diffuser sticks that are pre scented & don’t need oil. They are quite strong so 2 in the pot is sufficient for us. I prefer my rituals ones so use the Yankee as a cheaper alternative from time to time

I have a cordless dyson which is awful; I have a Henry which I love but I’m not able to use at the moment due to an injury; I have a corded shark and it’s brilliant. I wouldn’t waste money on a dyson again! I’d love a robot vac but get so confused by them all.

Reactions: 2
I really like Next Home diffusers. The large ones last me ages and are all under £30! They do mini sets so you can try some before committing to a bigger size. Some personal favourites are Milan, Antigua, Bali and the Country Luxe collection. The Linen scent is nice for the bathroom.

I have a Henry for upstairs and a Miele Cx1 for downstairs. I’m lazy and hate carrying the Henry upstairs, so he lives there now.
I really like the Spanish cleaning products everyone is mad for on TikTok / they smell amazing and work well.

My number one tip for keeping tidy house is to ruthlessly declutter. I try and keep a one in one out policy on things in the house.

We haired an interior designer when we moved in to this place. I love houses but it’s not an area that I’m an expert in. She really helped me decide on a cohesive look that is stylish but also works for us. Definitely recommend it - the cost was much less than people expect.

Reactions: 11
HELP Any tips on how to keep everything smelling clean and fresh when you have a dog ?? Carpets, rugs hoover 🫤 I wash his bedding and toys twice a week, I also clean the filters in my hoover more regular that requested but I feel I can smell dog 😡
cheap and natural stuff distilled Vinegar or bicarb of soda don’t use both at same
time as they neutralise

sprinkle bicarb on carpets/rug/settee if it’s fabric leave for 30mins then vac, you can also add it to washing machine when you was dogs bedding and toys

vinegar has a smell to it but it evaporates after a few minutes dilute with water and use it to wipe down furniture,walls,spray on dog bed and toys/rug and carpet
you know those little gu pots? I pour vinegar in there and have them dotted round the house where pets and kids can’t reach

open doors and windows to let fresh air in.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I really like Next Home diffusers. The large ones last me ages and are all under £30! They do mini sets so you can try some before committing to a bigger size. Some personal favourites are Milan, Antigua, Bali and the Country Luxe collection. The Linen scent is nice for the bathroom.
Next have really nice home fragrances, for the price. A couple of years ago they did a really lovely avocado scented diffuser - it sounds odd but it just smelt very green and fresh. I wish they’d bring it back.

Reactions: 3
Another one for the Next reeds they are great. I also like the Aldi Jo Malone dupe ones for the price!

Reactions: 1
Urban Apothecary are my favourite. I have the Rose Voile in my room, Verbena Leaves in the bathroom and an Urban Olfactory reed diffuser called Zephyr I picked up in TK Maxx

appreciating all these tips as i'm moving out soon! into a studio apartment so not as easy to shut things away but i'm hoping will give me more of a reason to keep on top of things. i've picked a few things up from my mum though that might be helpful:
  • using smol products (surface spray, dishwasher tabs etc) are eco friendly and take up so much less space in the cupboard.
  • putting self adhesive hooks on the inside of cupboard doors to help stay organised / give things a home. the peg bag lives under our sink.
  • ingredient prep instead of meal prep. still saves time but means i'm not bored of exactly the same thing for days in a row.
  • using an electric steam diffuser with fragrance oils over a candle or reed diffuser. i feel like the scent travels better and it's more cost effective. i feel like i'm giving away a proper secret but on craftovator they sell designer inspired oils like the white company, neom, jo malone etc and popular perfumes. less than £2 each for 10ml and cheaper in larger sizes. they do zoflora scents if you want the variety without a cupboard full too, and have all the kit needed for reed diffuser making!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.