Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What about giving it an airing though?
I do this, but whilst I’m having my shower etc, I clean the en-suite after myself. Go downstairs have my coffee and breakfast. I then go back upstairs to dress, do my hair and makeup. All the while my bedroom and en-suite windows are open. When I have finished I close the windows and make my bed. That way I fe that the room. Is fresh and ready for the evening.

My main go to tips are:~

1. Loos are cleaned daily
2. Rubbish is taken out after dinner
3. No washing up is left and kitchen surfaces are wiped down
4. All floors are cleaned daily
5. Everything is put away when not being used. giving a clutter free home
6. Rooms aired daily
7. Outside such as doors, steps and pathways are included in my weekly routine
8. Washing is either hung out or in the tumble dryer and folded and away as soon as it dry
9. To do lists are made daily and ticked off, and those jobs that aren’t are carried forward
10. Finally I put on music and sing and dance whilst I’m doing my cleaning

All the above takes no longer than an hour at the most 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 39
We have a dog which sheds - a cordless dyson is one of the best things we’ve ever bought. It’s so easy to whiz around and holds a charge for a good while.
I have a white company diffuser you can put the special blend of oil in to freshen the room, I like the Calm one.
The white company sell a mint candle which I use in the kitchen after cooking, it smells really fresh.
I have a spray bottle of diluted zoflora that I spritz on soft furnishings once a week.
I have no idea how people with kids keep on top of everything, it’s hard enough with just two of us and the dog!!

Reactions: 14
Ooo I love this thread!

drawer organisers are great! I use these for kids stuff and for me things like underwear and lightweight vests
Keeps things much more organised than just piling in a drawer. Takes a few extra mins to put washing away but makes such a difference when I’m looking for something particular!

5690F647-799B-4DFD-A61E-B3634FF67296.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Take the rubbish out! I take mine out everyday even if it’s not totally full. I hate it when I’m in peoples houses and their bin is literally overflowing, and in summer it stinks. I just feel it’s a nice ritual at the end of the day to remove all the rubbish from the house and start fresh the next day.

And I polish everything after cleaning so there’s no water marks on taps and surfaces.

I do this sometimes! Another thing I do is put a good podcast on. It’s actually quite relaxing turning your brain off, listening to a podcast and pottering around. I normally get quite a lot done and actually enjoy it!

I understand this, I also feel anxious when the house isn’t in order. I feel a lot calmer when it’s cleaner and not cluttered!
I listened to your podcast you recommended while I was folding the washing the other day 😊 makes it feel less mundane

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀
This is so relatable, also in a 2 bed flat alone with enough cleaning products for the whole building and trying to cut back. I think being at home so much over the past few years made me really unforgiving of letting things get dusty/dirty, but I use the same 4 or 5 products and the rest are never used. I really rate the pink stuff multipurpose spray for everyday cleaning and the paste for most other things.

My second bedroom is a dressing room which sounds like it should be glamorous, with shoes stacked in individual boxes with polaroids on the doors on one wall and a very full dressing table at the end but it ends up homing a lot of random things bought with good intentions and ADHD and barely get a second glance. An organised home really is a wonderful thing, and having too much stuff can be really overwhelming at times, my to do list is full of areas to clear out at the moment.

Also a sucker for great smells, there are some gorgeous wax melts in popular perfume scents on amazon and Etsy!

• Heart
Take the rubbish out! I take mine out everyday even if it’s not totally full. I hate it when I’m in peoples houses and their bin is literally overflowing, and in summer it stinks. I just feel it’s a nice ritual at the end of the day to remove all the rubbish from the house and start fresh the next day.

And I polish everything after cleaning so there’s no water marks on taps and surfaces.

I listened to your podcast you recommended while I was folding the washing the other day 😊 makes it feel less mundane
Aw that was my cleaning go to for a while! I had to find something else though, its a bit much to be binge listening 🤣

I should get into the habit of taking the bins out every evening that’s a good one!

Reactions: 5
I hardly ever use overhead lights, unless I’ve dropped something tiny that I need to find or if I’m trying to catch a spider, I hate them. Instead I use various sidelights to create pools of light. In my sitting room I have a large salt lamp which I always switch on as it gives this gorgeous orange glow at floor level which makes the room feel cosy. I use a table lamp in the hall and lamps in the kitchen as well after it goes dark.
I like to light candles as well, usually unscented.
I have a diffuser/mister from Neals Yard that scents the house beautifully.
I also have lots of plants everywhere.
I’m trying to declutter as working in a charity shop has made me realise how much stuff we all have and how most of our treasures will end up on a shelf in Oxfam or a skip.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Regarding cleaning products: I know the temptation to buy, but I've really found that dish soap, baking soda, vinegar, a toilet bowl cleaner and some alcohol take care of most things. Plus I have a limescale cleaner and hardwood floor cleaner.
I like the Frosch cleaning products, especially the toilet cleaner and the raspberry limescale spray. I just spray that in the whole shower, wait maybe 2-3 minutes, wipe and it looks better than new. Everything else just gets the dish soap and it works great.
I used to have all-purpose cleaner (also by Frosch, the orange one), but then got into videos by Aurikatariina on Youtube. She's a professional cleaner, cleaning absolute disasters for free and uses dish soap on most things. Couldn't quite believe it, but then I tried it and it works just as well as the all-purpose cleaner, so I'm not buying more of that and I have one less bottle under my sink.

Other stuff I like doing:

- I don't clean the loo everyday fully, but a small spritz of bowl cleaner every day keeps things fresh until my weekly cleaning session. Of course, I clean it properly before that if necessary.

- A drop of essential oil inside the toilet paper roll smells nice and fresh when someone uses the roll. It keeps up for a few days.

- a little pot of a fresh herbs for the kitchen, basil or parsley, looks nice and somehow more put together plus always handy for adding a bit of green to a meal.

- I've a ton of plants, most of them are very low maintenance (spider plant, pothos, snake plants). Added bonus of those plants is that they clean the air. And fake plants for the bathroom, my bath unfortunately doesn't have windows, something that I'll hate until the end of my days.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Love this thread.

mine is to keep cleaning products upstairs as well as downstairs. I don’t use much. Only anti bac, window cleaner, elbow grease and bleach. so I keep one lot upstairs and one lot downstairs. It sounds like a lot but I find that having it upstairs feels less like a clean cause I can just pull them out and whiz round quick as and when.

after hoovering I spray some carpet freshener to make it smell nice

Bleach the toilet every night.

a spare pack of anti bac wipes. Terrible for the environment but they are handy for when I can’t be bothered and need to do a quick wipe over.

keep cupboards organised by food group. So my carbs (pasta etc) are kept together, pulses at kept together etc. i also organise tins front to back so all the chopped tomatoes go behind each other and then beans will go on top so that everything is visible.

disinfect the kitchen every night, tidy and do dishes. There is nothing more satisfying than coming downstairs to a nice kitchen. Don’t start your day with a chore lol!

also no shoes in the house.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Love this thread! I de clutter regularly- if I want to buy something I always question if I want to dust it. Usually I don’t!

My style is minimalist- white with a couple of accent colours which feed through the house. Lots of plants and candles too, and I find mirrors throw the light around and make a room look bigger.

Any tips on keeping a hallway clear? I have a bad habit of throwing my shoes off at the front door. I have a shoe rack and box but I’m still in the habit and it looks awful!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Love this thread.

a spare pack of anti bac wipes. Terrible for the environment but they are handy for when I can’t be bothered and need to do a quick wipe over.
I can’t be without my Dettol wipes but knowing how bad they are for the environment I started buying the biodegradable version a few months back, they took a bit of getting used to because they’re not as juicy as the normal one but I like them now and prefer the smell. I get the Waterlilly fragrance.

I’m loving the tips here - thank you for sharing! I hate cleaning, so I really find it a chore and I hate a messy house which is not a good combination. I also feel like I’m the only person who does anything (which is not true, but telling my other half that filling the dishwasher isn’t cleaning is boring now!).

Recently got myself some houseplants to brighten up the place and try to cleanse the air. I have some nice rituals reed diffusers dotted round the house which I love, and I also love a nice scented candle in the evening. I’m vegan, so if someone else is cooking meat, there’s always a scented candle to disguise the smell, but generally we cook with the doors closed (might sound so obvious to others but was lost on the people I live with) to contain smells to the kitchen/dining area.

We have lots of mirrors to brighten the house up and reflect light. We also have smart lighting and plugs, so one command shuts off everything and the lights as well which is really handy.

Our kitchen is a real sun trap so the counters need to be cleaned regularly otherwise it’s very noticeable.

I bought a handheld window vac for doing the inside of my windows and the glass doors and shower doors and it’s a total game changer. We don’t iron, but I also have a handheld steamer for the things that need it and I wouldn’t be without it.

I’d love a no shoes house but keep getting overruled on that one! We have lots of clutter that I’m working on gradually too.

Reactions: 7
I can’t be without my Dettol wipes but knowing how bad they are for the environment I started buying the biodegradable version a few months back, they took a bit of getting used to because they’re not as juicy as the normal one but I like them now and prefer the smell. I get the Waterlilly fragrance.
ooh fab thank you I’ll look into those!

I’m loving the tips here - thank you for sharing! I hate cleaning, so I really find it a chore and I hate a messy house which is not a good combination. I also feel like I’m the only person who does anything (which is not true, but telling my other half that filling the dishwasher isn’t cleaning is boring now!).

Recently got myself some houseplants to brighten up the place and try to cleanse the air. I have some nice rituals reed diffusers dotted round the house which I love, and I also love a nice scented candle in the evening. I’m vegan, so if someone else is cooking meat, there’s always a scented candle to disguise the smell, but generally we cook with the doors closed (might sound so obvious to others but was lost on the people I live with) to contain smells to the kitchen/dining area.

We have lots of mirrors to brighten the house up and reflect light. We also have smart lighting and plugs, so one command shuts off everything and the lights as well which is really handy.

Our kitchen is a real sun trap so the counters need to be cleaned regularly otherwise it’s very noticeable.

I bought a handheld window vac for doing the inside of my windows and the glass doors and shower doors and it’s a total game changer. We don’t iron, but I also have a handheld steamer for the things that need it and I wouldn’t be without it.

I’d love a no shoes house but keep getting overruled on that one! We have lots of clutter that I’m working on gradually too.
if you can, I recommend some kind of rack/shelf by the front door with shoes and put every day shoes on there. Very convenient as you can kick them off and throw them on the rack

Reactions: 4
This is a great thread!
I do almost none of this stuff currently and my house is a tit pit but hoping it will inspire me to better things :)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Regarding Dettol wipes:
I made my own re-usable wipes: cut up some old towels and put them in a jar with a lid and added rubbing alcohol (78%), a small squirt of dish soap and that's it. you could probably add essential oil as well. I find them very handy to just wipe something down quickly and then throw them in the wash.
Obviously can't be sure they are disinfecting like actual Dettol wipes, but if nobody is sick here and it's just two adults I'm okay with just "normal" cleaning.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Highly recommend the Flash French Soap multipurpose cleaner and floor cleaner …smells divine!
I really like the smell of this too - it’s a very old-fashioned soapy scent but it does smell nice and clean. The only thing I don’t like is the multi-purpose spray is very soapy. It’s great for proper cleaning but not so good as a general counter spray for the kitchen. At the moment I’m really liking the Mrs Meyers Lemon Verbena all-purpose spray, it’s very strong but smells really fresh. My all-time favourite spray cleaner was something called Parsley Plus which was amazing - it just smelled of fresh parsley which sounds odd but it was a lovely fresh herbal scent. Sadly they stopped selling it in the UK ☹

I am a sucker for a fancy cleaning product and will try anything, even if it’s a ridiculous price …

Reactions: 5
Highly recommend the Flash French Soap multipurpose cleaner and floor cleaner …smells divine!
Love this stuff

Minimal stuff 'out' no clutter , make mirrors and glass really shine by regular claening
if you display items i.e candles, diffusers , small vases , always put them in a group of three
I have a whole wardrobe full of cleaning stuff which I am gradually trying to use up and my main cleaning product now is white vinegar with a bit of washing up liquid in

• Heart
I just fill my kitchen sink with hot soapy water and clean down all the sides and the sink. I don’t like using a lot of sprays in there.

Astonish Hob Cleaner for the cooker is fab.

Reactions: 8
What houseplants do people have? Any recommendations for ones that like the shade and are not easy to murder? I'm a serial plant killer.

Loving all the tips!

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.