Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having two cats does not help keep my house as clean as I would like 😣

I clean fully once a week, I keep my cleaning caddy upstairs and work top to bottom.

I clean my carpets every few months and have a lint scraper which is a god send.

Because of the cats I tend to have fake plants but I spray them with scent to keep it smelling lovely!

Ideally I do the dishes each night but we’re pretty busy so not always.

Everyone here has so much time, I wish I had more to clean more!

Reactions: 8
I bought a handheld window vac for doing the inside of my windows and the glass doors and shower doors and it’s a total game changer.
This sounds amazing! Hopefully they’ll have one on Amazon

Reactions: 1
I always put a tiny drop of bleach in my fresh flowers, always cut the stems on an angle and use hot hot water when filling the vase. No bugs, they last ages.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I also do habit stacking so as soon as I wake up I make my bed and then straight away open all curtains and blinds and then organise cushions/throw on the couch, I just do it on autopilot now

Reactions: 7
This is a super idea for a thread! In trying to keep my household running smoothly I watch out for “hotspots” where clutter accumulates. E.g., the kitchen table, the bottom few steps of the stairs where people drop things, the hall table etc. If these “hotspots” are kept clear, my kids and OH are less inclined to drop more stuff on top. I also always have a bag/box upstairs which I fill and bring to the local charity shop regularly. Even if there’s only a few items in the charity shop bag, I still call there every fortnight or so to make a donation. Charity shop staff tend to baulk at the sight of mountainous donations, but are happier to accept a modest amount of stuff at a time!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
This is a super idea for a thread! In trying to keep my household running smoothly I watch out for “hotspots” where clutter accumulates. E.g., the kitchen table, the bottom few steps of the stairs where people drop things, the hall table etc. If these “hotspots” are kept clear, my kids and OH are less inclined to drop more stuff on top. I also always have a bag/box upstairs which I fill and bring to the local charity shop regularly. Even if there’s only a few items in the charity shop bag, I still call there every fortnight or so to make a donation. Charity shop staff tend to baulk at the sight of mountainous donations, but are happier to accept a modest amount of stuff at a time!
Im going to start doing this! And also keeping a basket at my clutter spots.

Reactions: 2
Cif have a new limited edition cream cleaner - instead of lemon it’s cherry blossom. Had to. Stop myself buying it. I don’t need it but I do love the smell of cherries.

Reactions: 8
Thank you so much for this thread!! I can’t really think of any specific tips I have. I always change my scents based upon the seasons, if that counts? I’m a sucker for candles and diffusers so always have something to fit the season. Autumn/Winter is my absolute favourite with all the deep, ‘manly’ notes and a little bit of spiced apple around Christmas.

I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀
I like method the rhubarb spray… dettol the pink bottle is a good multi purpose one and smells good also!! Think it’s pomegranate and lime. I only have 2 spray bottles for my whole house !! I don’t believe in loads as they all do the same thing !🤩if you go to Aldi their orange multi spray is really good too!
i like the idea of cleaning a bathroom once a week. I do that too! Makes so much difference. Or sometimes do a little clean in the week if it’s bad. I tidy downstairs everyday when my kids gone to bed

this thread is fab. My dog makes sooo much mess with his hair I have to hoover everyday or else it looks a right mess.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I like method the rhubarb spray… dettol the pink bottle is a good multi purpose one and smells good also!! Think it’s pomegranate and lime. I only have 2 spray bottles for my whole house !! I don’t believe in loads as they all do the same thing !🤩if you go to Aldi their orange multi spray is really good too!
i like the idea of cleaning a bathroom once a week. I do that too! Makes so much difference. Or sometimes do a little clean in the week if it’s bad. I tidy downstairs everyday when my kids gone to bed

this thread is fab. My dog makes sooo much mess with his hair I have to hoover everyday or else it looks a right mess.

I swapped my method rhubarb for a cheaper alternative. Instant regret whilst cleaning my kitchen today 😭😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I run the dishwasher every night before going to bed, even if it’s only half or two-thirds full. Then I empty it in the morning when I come downstairs. This means it’s nice and empty from first thing in the morning, ready for the breakfast and lunch crockery to go into it. Net result is I rarely have piles of unsightly dirty dishes in the sink waiting to go into it it during the day while another wash is on. Although I’m probably using the dishwasher less economically than I could, it’s worth it to keep my kitchen a bit more organised. (As I read this, I’m wondering if I urgently need to get a life 😆).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Agghh the clutter hot spots 😖. Until recently I had a chest of drawers in the dining room that was a really weird height (the top was at shoulder height on me). It constant ended up with random stuff just piled on top of it. So frustrating. I recently swapped it for a sideboard (well, a vintage gin bar apparently 🤷‍♀️, curved and beautiful) from Ebay and now it is home to lots of plants and a couple of ornaments. No more clutter!

I've also got a stair basket to try and avoid stuff just piling up one side of the stairs. It works. My only slight issue is that my poor basket is a repeat casualty during a child's meltdowns. I'm currently on basket number 3 and it no longer has a handle 😆.

My home is far, far from glamorous but keeping on top of clutter really does seem to help. A tidy (or at least less cluttered) home means a tidy mind definitely resonates for me.

Reactions: 10
I'm accepting that my current vac is just not cutting it anymore - I'm thinking about getting a shark rechargeable one, but does anyone have any recommendations? It's obviously not a cheap purchase so keen to buy something that really works! My hair is super long and gets everywhere so needs to be able to cope with that😂

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.