Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love this thread! I de clutter regularly- if I want to buy something I always question if I want to dust it. Usually I don’t!

My style is minimalist- white with a couple of accent colours which feed through the house. Lots of plants and candles too, and I find mirrors throw the light around and make a room look bigger.

Any tips on keeping a hallway clear? I have a bad habit of throwing my shoes off at the front door. I have a shoe rack and box but I’m still in the habit and it looks awful!
I had this made for our everyday shoes. It certainly makes us put them away each time we enter the house and take our shoes off. Hope this helps x

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 19
What houseplants do people have? Any recommendations for ones that like the shade and are not easy to murder? I'm a serial plant killer.
Hello, fellow plant slayer - I also possess the Black Thumb of Death!

I have several Jade / Money plants (Crassus Ovata), the original of which my Mum got in the 80s to keep her pools coupons under. They sprout and you can pinch off those bits and make new plants from them. Amazing, just keep them out of direct sun but they don't seem to give a crap where they are, and water them once a month.

Crassula-ovata-Sunset-Jade-Plant-12cm-New.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
No shoes in the house is a big one for me! We have mostly carpets and the thought of shoes on them just 🤢 I also Hoover at least once a day and try and steam clean the carpets once a week and I always thinks that helps! I hate my house being untidy and messy so I’m always doing something to it 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 14
For plants:
Snake plants, spider plants, pothos, dracaena are great and cope well even in lower light settings and infrequent watering. Especially the pothos and spider plant also grow like crazy, so you get a "success feeling" very early on from them. The don't really shade though, unless you let them grow over something, e.g. putting them on top of a cupboard and then the leaves drape over the side. I do that with my pothos, it looks very nice

• Heart
We live in a pretty small place but it's open plan so it's crucial to put everything away immediately. We don't have a hall, our entrance is straight into the living room and we can't leave out any shoes or jackets etc. because it immediately looks messy.

Regarding the rest I'd say:
- keep things uncluttered (don't overdo styling of the shelves, coffee tables etc.)
- don't buy very recognisable Ikea furniture (like the £10 side table or Kallax units)
- buy real art (doesn't have to be expensive, it could be from unknown local artists, as long as it's not some cheap Desenio print)
- if you can, invest in good chairs and nice lights, those make the biggest difference (I love designer furniture from Finnish design shop <3 )
- have fresh flowers at home
- always white (or at least very neutral!) bedsheets
- good diffuser in the bathroom
- don't follow trends too much so it can still look timeless in 5 or 10 years
- don't buy generic cheap accessories - I like to buy it when traveling or second hand or ask for something special on a specific occasion so every piece has a nice story behind it

• Heart
Reactions: 24
We live in a pretty small place but it's open plan so it's crucial to put everything away immediately. We don't have a hall, our entrance is straight into the living room and we can't leave out any shoes or jackets etc. because it immediately looks messy.

Regarding the rest I'd say:
- keep things uncluttered (don't overdo styling of the shelves, coffee tables etc.)
- don't buy very recognisable Ikea furniture (like the £10 side table or Kallax units)
- buy real art (doesn't have to be expensive, it could be from unknown local artists, as long as it's not some cheap Desenio print)
- if you can, invest in good chairs and nice lights, those make the biggest difference (I love designer furniture from Finnish design shop <3 )
- have fresh flowers at home
- always white (or at least very neutral!) bedsheets
- good diffuser in the bathroom
- don't follow trends too much so it can still look timeless in 5 or 10 years
- don't buy generic cheap accessories - I like to buy it when traveling or second hand or ask for something special on a specific occasion so every piece has a nice story behind it
I agree with the art! I buy from charity shops. I absolutely detest Etsy/Oliver Bonas/Desenio!

• Haha
What houseplants do people have? Any recommendations for ones that like the shade and are not easy to murder? I'm a serial plant killer.

Loving all the tips!
I have an Aloe Vera plant, a snake plant and a Boston Fern for a few years now. The Aloe Vera one is nice, doesn't need to be watered often and sits on the window sill where the sun shines, but I have to repot it whenever baby Aloes grow (it's a nice plant for when I have low days and need to do something soothing/centering). The other two are much easier to keep - Miss Boston just needs a good misting twice a week and to sit in indirect sunlight, while Lord Snake gets watered every 2 weeks

Reactions: 7
Any tips on keeping your fresh flowers long lasting? I’ve moved into a new house and don’t know if it’s the environment but they’re just not lasting like they were in my old place 😕
Regarding Dettol wipes:
I made my own re-usable wipes: cut up some old towels and put them in a jar with a lid and added rubbing alcohol (78%), a small squirt of dish soap and that's it. you could probably add essential oil as well. I find them very handy to just wipe something down quickly and then throw them in the wash.
Obviously can't be sure they are disinfecting like actual Dettol wipes, but if nobody is sick here and it's just two adults I'm okay with just "normal" cleaning.
You are good. My auntie makes all her own cleaning products even toiletries.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Any tips on keeping your fresh flowers long lasting? I’ve moved into a new house and don’t know if it’s the environment but they’re just not lasting like they were in my old place 😕
I always put a two pence piece at the bottom of the vase and that seems to help😄

• Wow
  • Heart
My florist advised regularly trimming the stems and changing the water daily, or as often as possible prolongs the life. I'm never in so haven't yet tried this 😅

Reactions: 4
I had this made for our everyday shoes. It certainly makes us put them away each time we enter the house and take our shoes off. Hope this helps x
This is gorgeous :love:

Give them a spritz of water with a sprayer - keeps them fresh

Reactions: 2
A tip that works amazingly for me is if I cba to clean up, say if the time is 6.53pm for example, I tell myself to clean/tidy until just 7pm and it motivates me because it’s only 7 mins lol, I alwaaays end up doing more because I’m in the groove and the hardest part is starting lol just how my brain works x
Great tip . I have started doing this myself . It’s amazing what can be achieved in a few minutes.

Reactions: 3
I always have fresh flowers, white roses are my absolute favourite. I always put a couple of ice cubes in the vase every day

• Heart
  • Wow
No shoes in our house either and I book someone in to clean our carpets every 6 months to keep them fresh.

I’m always touching in paint work and refreshing the woodwork too. It saves you from having to do the whole thing from scratch when you maintain it.

Roses I always have but I buy peonies in summer if I see nice ones.

• Heart
HELP Any tips on how to keep everything smelling clean and fresh when you have a dog ?? Carpets, rugs hoover 🫤 I wash his bedding and toys twice a week, I also clean the filters in my hoover more regular that requested but I feel I can smell dog 😡

HELP Any tips on how to keep everything smelling clean and fresh when you have a dog ?? Carpets, rugs hoover 🫤 I wash his bedding and toys twice a week, I also clean the filters in my hoover more regular that requested but I feel I can smell dog 😡
i don’t have a dog but I use fabulousa foam freshener to spray on my carpet. You just spray it on and let it sit. Smells lovely and it’s only about a £1 in home bargains

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.