Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone on here tried acrylic and then gone for builder gel? I’m tempted to try builder gel. I’ve pulled all my acrylics off. I was getting ready for a new set but my nails are absolutely atrocious underneath 😭😭😭 and a bit sore. I’m just wondering what builder gel is like compared to acrylic.

Has anyone on here tried acrylic and then gone for builder gel? I’m tempted to try builder gel. I’ve pulled all my acrylics off. I was getting ready for a new set but my nails are absolutely atrocious underneath 😭😭😭 and a bit sore. I’m just wondering what builder gel is like compared to acrylic.
Me! I love it. My nails grow lovely with it and feel really strong. I don't have builder gel extensions though, just over my natural nails x

Reactions: 1
Me! I love it. My nails grow lovely with it and feel really strong. I don't have builder gel extensions though, just over my natural nails x
What does it feel like on your nails. I know this sounds really random but does it feel like your normal nails or a bit of thickness like Acrylic ? I dunno whether to give it a try or not ! Everyone I know loves it. You just have builder gel over your nails ? X

What does it feel like on your nails. I know this sounds really random but does it feel like your normal nails or a bit of thickness like Acrylic ? I dunno whether to give it a try or not ! Everyone I know loves it. You just have builder gel over your nails ? X
This is exactly why I prefer builder gel. It feels much more like your natural nails (just stronger) whereas I personally find acrylic quite thick and uncomfortable.

Reactions: 4
It is thicker then your natural nails but no way as thick as acrylic. Give it a go!! :)

Reactions: 2
BIAB is not only thinner but it's also not as solid (in terms of the structure of the material) as acrylic. It bends with your nail meaning it's harder to break/rip off, your nail won't just snap off like an acrylic one would if you catch it for example. That has positives and negatives - if you wanted a long extension for example, acrylic would be a better bet as it's more likely to last. But for growing your own nails and adding strength, BIAB is definitely a better way to go.

Reactions: 4
BIAB is not only thinner but it's also not as solid (in terms of the structure of the material) as acrylic. It bends with your nail meaning it's harder to break/rip off, your nail won't just snap off like an acrylic one would if you catch it for example. That has positives and negatives - if you wanted a long extension for example, acrylic would be a better bet as it's more likely to last. But for growing your own nails and adding strength, BIAB is definitely a better way to go.
Thankyou. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I might give it a try ! I’ve only ever had acrylic since I was 17 😂 I’m now 27

• Heart
So I’ve really overdone it on gels recently (changing them too regularly and soaking too much in acetone). I’m not sure if I’ve just overdone it or if I’ve had an allergic reaction. My nails are wafer thin, splitting and I have red patches on my nail beds. They’re also SO sore! I’ve removed everything and have applied a nail strengthener and I’m just focusing on oiling/moisturising them. Is there anything else I can do for now? 😢

So I’ve really overdone it on gels recently (changing them too regularly and soaking too much in acetone). I’m not sure if I’ve just overdone it or if I’ve had an allergic reaction. My nails are wafer thin, splitting and I have red patches on my nail beds. They’re also SO sore! I’ve removed everything and have applied a nail strengthener and I’m just focusing on oiling/moisturising them. Is there anything else I can do for now? 😢
This sounds like, as you said, you’ve done them too frequently so the overuse of acetone has made them thin and you’ve probably filed too much off your nail beds which gives that sore red ‘ring of fire’ look. Keep moisturising them and let them grow out, you can use a strengthening solution as well. Depending how sore they are you could put a very thin layer of BIAB on them to protect them and stop them splitting etc but if it’s really painful then let them grow out for a while first

This sounds like, as you said, you’ve done them too frequently so the overuse of acetone has made them thin and you’ve probably filed too much off your nail beds which gives that sore red ‘ring of fire’ look. Keep moisturising them and let them grow out, you can use a strengthening solution as well. Depending how sore they are you could put a very thin layer of BIAB on them to protect them and stop them splitting etc but if it’s really painful then let them grow out for a while first
Ring of fire is the perfect way to describe it 🥵 I’ll definitely take a break for a while. thank you so much☺

Same has happened to me before, I used OPI nail envy religiously and they grew out to full thickness in a few months

Has anyone ever transitioned from salon done acrylic overlay with shellac, to doing your own shellac at home? Is it really difficult, or do you get used to it after a few goes?

I'm trying to cut down my spending habits, and I have put all the necessary items in my amazon basket for £50. I probably spend roughly this per month in the salon so I will be so happy if I can do it/keep up with this. Any must haves you would recommend also?

Has anyone ever transitioned from salon done acrylic overlay with shellac, to doing your own shellac at home? Is it really difficult, or do you get used to it after a few goes?

I'm trying to cut down my spending habits, and I have put all the necessary items in my amazon basket for £50. I probably spend roughly this per month in the salon so I will be so happy if I can do it/keep up with this. Any must haves you would recommend also?
You get used to it, practice makes perfect!
How are you at painting you nails with regular nail polish, cos that it an excellent way to get precise & not go outta the lines so to speak, and it's easy to remove and go again just for practice.
You have base coat, top coat, colors, nail lamp, acetone (for clean up & removal) and then also basic manicure items like nail file, cuticle pusher, cuticle clipper, cuticle oil, cuticle remover.....I can't think what else off top of my head....?
Please let us know how you get on!

• Heart
I really love the look of long nails/acrylics but my work is really typing heavy and they get stuck between the keyboard keys :(

• Sad