Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone have any tips/products to help with nail growth? My nails don’t grow at all 🙁
Is it that they just don't grow at all or is it that they split etc? People usually say this about hair for example, when actually their hair is growing at the root but splitting at the ends thus giving the appearance that the hair 'isn't growing.' If they're splitting, or weak etc, then a BIAB or acrylic overlay would protect them. BIAB is fantastic for growing your nails out if you have thin/weak nails, and to be honest I would say it's worth a try even if you think your nails just grow slowly because you can monitor the regrowth

Reactions: 1
Is it that they just don't grow at all or is it that they split etc? People usually say this about hair for example, when actually their hair is growing at the root but splitting at the ends thus giving the appearance that the hair 'isn't growing.' If they're splitting, or weak etc, then a BIAB or acrylic overlay would protect them. BIAB is fantastic for growing your nails out if you have thin/weak nails, and to be honest I would say it's worth a try even if you think your nails just grow slowly because you can monitor the regrowth
I used to have acrylics and my nails would grow so long, then snap. Can’t really afford the upkeep of acrylics… I do have a home gel kit I bought in lockdown so I might see if gels would work.

They grow to a point then start breaking. It’s annoying as I have always have unevenly length nails!

Reactions: 2
I used to have acrylics and my nails would grow so long, then snap. Can’t really afford the upkeep of acrylics… I do have a home gel kit I bought in lockdown so I might see if gels would work.

They grow to a point then start breaking. It’s annoying as I have always have unevenly length nails!
I'm not a fan of acrylics. In theory, both acrylic and gel products shouldn't make your nails weaker - what actually damages the nail is how they're removed, so overfiling for example or obviously if you pick them off then lots of your own nail will come away with it. But, I've always found acrylic makes my nails thinner even when removed properly. BIAB sounds like it would help you though. You can use it as a base coat for your gel polish, just do about 2-3 thin layers before putting the colour on top. Should give you some strength and help you grow them out. It's also great because it can be infilled, whereas soaking just gel varnish off every 2 weeks means the acetone might weaken your nails further if they're already damaged. So what you can do is once you've got a big chunk of growth, you just file down the colour then top up the BIAB. Tonnes of tutorials on Youtube or obviously could go and have it done, but it sounds like BIAB would be a great shout for you

I tend do my own nails, more so since lockdown. Gel kit and UV light from Amazon and haven’t looked back since. I haven’t had acrylics for the longest time. Much prefer a shorter nail now with a classic colour.

Reactions: 2
Anyone have any tips/products to help with nail growth? My nails don’t grow at all 🙁
OPI Nail Envy (one coat every other day then remove after a week and start again) and then massage your cuticles with their Avoplex oil twice a day as it stimulates growth.

Shellac in the nail salon every 3-4 weeks.
A couple years ago I used to get it done ever 2 weeks.

I used to get mine done (gel) every three weeks at €55 a go. Just before lockdown I had decided to stop getting them as the salon had put up the gel refill to €60 and somehow that extra 5 euro was a deal breaker. I was a slave to them, adored them but used to hate if one broke.. I do a lot of weight training so it’s easy to snap one then you whole hand looks terrible so I go for a repair every second week. Then lockdown was a great excuse to grow my own nails and I must say I love the freedom of not having the maintence up keep, I think I would just get a file and polish now if I wanted a treat.

I love getting my nails done, my natural nails are thin and shite, grow really slowly and snap often (although I don’t think the acrylics help as I don’t do much maintenance when they come off, oops lol), and I can’t independently paint them to give them a bit more life. I feel so much more put Together when I have acrylics.

I used to get mine done (gel) every three weeks at €55 a go. Just before lockdown I had decided to stop getting them as the salon had put up the gel refill to €60 and somehow that extra 5 euro was a deal breaker. I was a slave to them, adored them but used to hate if one broke.. I do a lot of weight training so it’s easy to snap one then you whole hand looks terrible so I go for a repair every second week. Then lockdown was a great excuse to grow my own nails and I must say I love the freedom of not having the maintence up keep, I think I would just get a file and polish now if I wanted a treat.
€55 for gel polish?? I think you’re overpaying.

I pay £25 for a manicure with gel, at a really good place. (Technically £22.50 because I’m a student)

How did you manage to grow your natural nails out? Has anyone else tried the polishes that claim to grow your nails? (I think there’s a good sally hansen one)

I have gel nails done every 3 weeks for £18. She uses The Gel Bottle products so I have BIAB and the cost is for any design or art. I love my nail tech, she's amazing at what she does! They never peel, lift or chip and my cuticles have never looked better 😍

Reactions: 5
I‘ve started getting my nails done with Shellac every two weeks for 35€. Think I‘m going to switch to a more neutral colour (had lilac and bright blue) and see if I can go every 3 weeks.
Such a life changer for me as my nails finally grow!

I bought a lamp from Amazon a few years ago. Does the job, but takes two mins to dry each coat on timer. So it’s a total graft. Can anyone recommend a faster one, that will defo cure all gels? Cheers 😀

I bought a lamp from Amazon a few years ago. Does the job, but takes two mins to dry each coat on timer. So it’s a total graft. Can anyone recommend a faster one, that will defo cure all gels? Cheers 😀
If your lamp takes 2 mins it must be UV. Get yourself an LED, they’re much quicker. Really you’re meant to get the lamp made by the brand of gel you’re using, and for certain brands only their own lamp will actually cure their gel properly. Most brands will cure in any UV though. SUNUV lamps are pretty good (unhelpfully named - they’re LED lamps) and there’s a few different ones on Amazon :)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If your lamp takes 2 mins it must be UV. Get yourself an LED, they’re much quicker. Really you’re meant to get the lamp made by the brand of gel you’re using, and for certain brands only their own lamp will actually cure their gel properly. Most brands will cure in any UV though. SUNUV lamps are pretty good (unhelpfully named - they’re LED lamps) and there’s a few different ones on Amazon :)
Thanks very much for all the info. Will check on Amazon the now. Xx

• Heart
I just have an LED lamp I got off amazon for about £15. You'll also need some wipes and I do like the nail foils for getting it off.

I would say that premium gels are better, I use either OPI or Mylee base and top and then I use the Shelac Luxe Gels as they take hardly any time to remove. No easy to buy now but I get them on ebay.

My first two or so attempts were average but I would say I am quite good now. You need to prep your nails well, I have oily skin so I use a dehydrating set and primer which is great. Do not wash your hand with soap before applying and when removing I have an electric nail file with attachments which is ancient but it works a treat.

I would say take you time, it takes me about an hour to do mine. Do not rush and try to go thinly on your nails, also capping is a must. For me it was all about trial an error, I gave up when I first got the lamp because they peeled but I now put that down to oily nails and cheap gels.
We need links please! You sound like you know what you’re doing 😍😘

I do everything myself. The last time I paid for a manicure a deranged old man barged into the salon and marched up to me to say that I was overpaying. The universe had a slow day 🤷🏻‍♀️ I like my results: I aim the nail scissor so that the curve points downward, it gives a nice shape and prevents hangnails from forming. Pharmacy store nail file to smooth the edges. Expressie nail polish. That’s it… People think I pay for manicures; I don’t.

I'm a qualified Nail Technician but I've not worked in the industry in years (found different career I liked much more). I find doing my nails is one of the best things I do to enjoy myself. This past year or so, I've really been inspired to do lots of nail art & get back into gel/acrylic nails. I love the Korean nail trends! So detailed & pretty.
Generally I'll change my nails every 2 weeks, mostly because I get bored of the design & am excited to do something new.
My natural nails are very weak but when I have them done nice it just makes me feel happy & put together.

Girls you need to find someone who uses the Ritzy rubber base. I get 4 weeks out of my nails. And never ever chip

Pre-covid I had dipping powder every 2-3 weeks, for years. I found it lasted so much better than gels. I had a bit of a whine about how I miss having them done a few weeks ago, so my other half got me an ‘at home’ gel set for Christmas…. I haven’t a clue where to start, but looking forward to trying it out and having hopefully nails that last more than 3 hours again!

• Heart
Reactions: 3