Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We need links please! You sound like you know what you’re doing 😍😘
The lamp I have is no longer available on amazon, I got it free so it wasn't something I choose but I would go for an LED about £20. Mine had 30 and 60 second timers and is automatic when you put your hand in.

I swear by CND Luxe gel polishes, they are hard to come by now but there are a few on eBay (you do have to search) or I found they sell them in that cheapy beauty shop, body works?

I love the Myleee and CND ranges, I usually get things off ebay or amazon. I have bought these before but the price is double what I paid a few months ago.
This is a really good website and is free postage - https://www.nailpolishdirect.co.uk/

Always go for a good base and top coat, I also have this Amazon product which I have noticed made a massive difference as I have oily nail beds.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
(apologies for the v long rambly message!)
started doing my own gel nails but they keep lifting / peeling after a few hours to a day. keep them under the lamp for two mins just to make sure they're cured and wipe any excess with a tiny bit of remover between coats. used mylee mainly (cnd didn't cure at all??) in thin coats with an opi base and top coat. thought it might be an easy remove base coat so tried without and they *were* better but only to the point where they lasted overnight. maybe it's the mixing brands that is the issue?? plug my lamp into the mains too (a le mini macaron one) and the gel is curing / is fine when first applied although i do find the tips of my nails are always a bit thin and can see the edge through the polish (tried going horizontal but it just gets too thick!!) maybe my nail file isn't abrasive enough when prepping the nail but surely that can't be making it peel in less than a day??? basically i'm all confused and just need loads of advice! thank you in advance!!

@knivesnflowers there's a lot going on here that could be causing your nails to lift.

Firstly, when you say you 'tried without' a base coat do you mean you put gel colour straight onto your nail? You need a base coat or your colour has nothing to stick to, so that would cause lifting.

When you say you wipe excess with remover between coats - are you wiping your colour coats with acetone/IPA in between coats? This will be removing the tacky layer of the gel, which is again stops the next coat from having anything to stick to, and will cause lifting and probably means the colour isn't curing properly. Don't do that.

Re the ends of your nails being thin etc - you need to cap your nails to the very end. This means go slightly over the end of your nail and then you should also put your top coat over the end as well to cap. Google this if you're not sure what I mean/for a tutorial.

What is the grit of the nail file you're using to prep your nail? I use a 180 but to be honest a buffing block in 220 or 180 would also work. You need to be sure you've taken all the shine off your nail bed or the gel will lift. If a 180 file hurts when you try this, use a buffing block instead. You don't need to be removing loads of the nail bed for gel to stick.

I'm not sure why you're curing for 2 mins because I just looked at the lamp you use and it says the standard 30 seconds, but in any event the wattage of your lamp also seems low - I would get a better one, one of the SUNUV from Amazon would be ideal.

A final thing that can cause lifting is if you get gel on your skin or your cuticle, or where you haven't quite covered the gel colour with your top coat.

In case it helps you this is how I do mine (I did a gel nail course and I never get any lifting)
1. Starting with bare nails, I do my cuticle work - push them back, trim them.
2. Shape the nails. Then either etch the surface very gently with a 180 file, or a buffer, until there is no shine on the nail bed.
3. Use a duster brush to dust them off. Then, use a lint free wipe soaked in either acetone or IPA to wipe the nail bed clean. You need to not touch your nails again after this point.
4. Base coat, cure for 30-60 seconds (depends on the brand - I would check this, one brand I use takes 30 seconds and the other takes 60)
5. No wiping, straight on with the first colour coat, cap the ends. If I got colour on my skin or cuticle, I dip a nail brush in acetone and tidy it up. You need to do this before curing. Cure for 30-60 again depending on brand. Repeat this for 2 colour coats.
6. Again no wiping, straight on with top coat, cap the ends. Cure 30-60, occasionally I will go over this to be sure so maybe 90 max.
7. There are two kinds of top coat - no wipe, and normal. You need to check which type you have. If yours is a normal top coat, it will have a tacky layer and you need to cleanse it with acetone/IP again or they will be sticky. I use a no wipe top coat so this step isn't needed.
8. Wait about 10 seconds, then go round the cuticles with cuticle oil (the wait stops the top coat from going dull).

Ideally you should use all one brand and the same lamp, otherwise you can never be 100% sure that your gel has actually cured. Even when it looks cured to the eye it might not be underneath. But I know not everyone does this, just might be worth trying if you're having problems. I use either Halo Gel (you can buy this without a gel qualification) or The Gel Bottle (need a qualification to purchase). If I want to use a Halo colour I will always use the Halo base and top coat and lamp, then the same if I use The Gel Bottle. It's probably something in your prep though to be honest.

ETA I forgot to mention - CND Shellac is not a gel varnish in the same way that other brands are. It's a professional only product and I would strongly advise you don't buy it from eBay or whatever because it could be fake. CND Shellac will only cure with the CND lamp and you can only purchase their brand with a certificate. I would recommend Halo or Bluesky because while these are professional brands it is possible to buy them online without having to show a certificate.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
@knivesnflowers there's a lot going on here that could be causing your nails to lift.

Firstly, when you say you 'tried without' a base coat do you mean you put gel colour straight onto your nail? You need a base coat or your colour has nothing to stick to, so that would cause lifting.

When you say you wipe excess with remover between coats - are you wiping your colour coats with acetone/IPA in between coats? This will be removing the tacky layer of the gel, which is again stops the next coat from having anything to stick to, and will cause lifting and probably means the colour isn't curing properly. Don't do that.

Re the ends of your nails being thin etc - you need to cap your nails to the very end. This means go slightly over the end of your nail and then you should also put your top coat over the end as well to cap. Google this if you're not sure what I mean/for a tutorial.

What is the grit of the nail file you're using to prep your nail? I use a 180 but to be honest a buffing block in 220 or 180 would also work. You need to be sure you've taken all the shine off your nail bed or the gel will lift. If a 180 file hurts when you try this, use a buffing block instead. You don't need to be removing loads of the nail bed for gel to stick.

I'm not sure why you're curing for 2 mins because I just looked at the lamp you use and it says the standard 30 seconds, but in any event the wattage of your lamp also seems low - I would get a better one, one of the SUNUV from Amazon would be ideal.

A final thing that can cause lifting is if you get gel on your skin or your cuticle, or where you haven't quite covered the gel colour with your top coat.

In case it helps you this is how I do mine (I did a gel nail course and I never get any lifting)
1. Starting with bare nails, I do my cuticle work - push them back, trim them.
2. Shape the nails. Then either etch the surface very gently with a 180 file, or a buffer, until there is no shine on the nail bed.
3. Use a duster brush to dust them off. Then, use a lint free wipe soaked in either acetone or IPA to wipe the nail bed clean. You need to not touch your nails again after this point.
4. Base coat, cure for 30-60 seconds (depends on the brand - I would check this, one brand I use takes 30 seconds and the other takes 60)
5. No wiping, straight on with the first colour coat, cap the ends. If I got colour on my skin or cuticle, I dip a nail brush in acetone and tidy it up. You need to do this before curing. Cure for 30-60 again depending on brand. Repeat this for 2 colour coats.
6. Again no wiping, straight on with top coat, cap the ends. Cure 30-60, occasionally I will go over this to be sure so maybe 90 max.
7. There are two kinds of top coat - no wipe, and normal. You need to check which type you have. If yours is a normal top coat, it will have a tacky layer and you need to cleanse it with acetone/IP again or they will be sticky. I use a no wipe top coat so this step isn't needed.
8. Wait about 10 seconds, then go round the cuticles with cuticle oil (the wait stops the top coat from going dull).

Ideally you should use all one brand and the same lamp, otherwise you can never be 100% sure that your gel has actually cured. Even when it looks cured to the eye it might not be underneath. But I know not everyone does this, just might be worth trying if you're having problems. I use either Halo Gel (you can buy this without a gel qualification) or The Gel Bottle (need a qualification to purchase). If I want to use a Halo colour I will always use the Halo base and top coat and lamp, then the same if I use The Gel Bottle. It's probably something in your prep though to be honest.

ETA I forgot to mention - CND Shellac is not a gel varnish in the same way that other brands are. It's a professional only product and I would strongly advise you don't buy it from eBay or whatever because it could be fake. CND Shellac will only cure with the CND lamp and you can only purchase their brand with a certificate. I would recommend Halo or Bluesky because while these are professional brands it is possible to buy them online without having to show a certificate.
thank you so much!!! only tried the no base coat and wiping polish that hadn't cured once (and weirdly they lasted longer) but as you say it's probably a combination of a few things that is affecting the results. i think i held off from investing in proper equipment and dedicating time because i was worried i'd be a bit tit at it but i'm now realising i'm only doing a half job anyway and not seeing results because of this. again tysm - i'm off to do some research and some shopping!

• Heart
Has anyone used this and is it any good? https://mylee.co.uk/products/mygel-by-mylee-magic-gel-remover-15ml

I got my nails done for the first time last week and they look so cute but there's already 1mm of space at the bottom - didn't realise my nails grew so fast!
I've not used the mylee gel remover, I use a generic one from Amazon. They do work, they are quicker than soaking and filing off but they aren't as quick as the ads suggest. I buff off the top surface, apply the gel remover, wait until they bubble and then remove with a cuticle pusher and I usually have to repeat the process again. Make sure you have paper towels to collect the bits of gel polish or they ger everywhere

Reactions: 2
I've not used the mylee gel remover, I use a generic one from Amazon. They do work, they are quicker than soaking and filing off but they aren't as quick as the ads suggest. I buff off the top surface, apply the gel remover, wait until they bubble and then remove with a cuticle pusher and I usually have to repeat the process again. Make sure you have paper towels to collect the bits of gel polish or they ger everywhere
Good to know, thank you! I'm going to leave these as long as I can bear then try and take it off myself. Think I'll make it a monthly thing getting them done properly and maybe do a nude colour myself in between.

Has anyone used this and is it any good? https://mylee.co.uk/products/mygel-by-mylee-magic-gel-remover-15ml

I got my nails done for the first time last week and they look so cute but there's already 1mm of space at the bottom - didn't realise my nails grew so fast!
This is really expensive for such a tiny bottle and I've read bad things about the ingredients. I would just get a big cheap bottle of acetone and soak them off. To be honest, this product says it takes 6 minutes - if you just have a gel colour and not a BIAB underneath or something, I reckon normal cheap acetone will only take about 6 minutes to soak off too, for much lower cost

This is really expensive for such a tiny bottle and I've read bad things about the ingredients. I would just get a big cheap bottle of acetone and soak them off. To be honest, this product says it takes 6 minutes - if you just have a gel colour and not a BIAB underneath or something, I reckon normal cheap acetone will only take about 6 minutes to soak off too, for much lower cost
I think it might be two coats of BIAB then two coats of gel colour, then top coat! With the acetone do you have to wrap with foil?

I think it might be two coats of BIAB then two coats of gel colour, then top coat! With the acetone do you have to wrap with foil?
Ah okay that would take longer unfortunately. Generally if you have BIAB, when you went for your next appointment in say 2/3 weeks your tech would just file the colour off and then infill the BIAB rather than soaking it off every time as it does take a while.

There's two methods with acetone, you can wrap with foil but you can also get these little pots, you fill the base with warm water and the top with acetone then soak your nails. It's quicker than foiling because warming the acetone up makes it more effective!

Amazon product

Ah okay that would take longer unfortunately. Generally if you have BIAB, when you went for your next appointment in say 2/3 weeks your tech would just file the colour off and then infill the BIAB rather than soaking it off every time as it does take a while.

There's two methods with acetone, you can wrap with foil but you can also get these little pots, you fill the base with warm water and the top with acetone then soak your nails. It's quicker than foiling because warming the acetone up makes it more effective!

Amazon product
Thank you so much for explaining! I've been tying myself in knots trying to figure it out haha. Not sure what to do in that case hmm. I do wanna get them done again but I have my nails really short so the extra 1mm of growth is actually doing my head in and I've read that cutting or filing while you have gel on opens you up to infection. I might just have to book for next week and commit to doing it every two weeks!

• Heart
Definitely be careful with that remover! It can damage your skin real bad x

Definitely be careful with that remover! It can damage your skin real bad x
Well annoyingly I bought it before I saw @judgejohndeed 's comment, so I tried to cancel straight away and have now been told by Mylee that I'll just have to refuse delivery for them to refund me! I've never refused delivery before so I hope it works out - I've got visions of the postie refusing to leave my front garden til I accept it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have tried for years to grow my nails, bought so many varnishes, tools etc. I just really struggle to do my right hand, I'm clumsy so I usually drop something or spill something :ROFLMAO:

I have BIAB done & it helps my nails grow, I have had acrylics before & I'm odd so I don't like to 'feel' things on me & I could feel it. BIAB & a gel varnish over I can't feel at all.

I use a cuticle oil in between too, try to use it once a day. Helps soften the cuticles & stimulate nail growth.

I try to go between 2-3 weeks, I pay £20 or £25 if I have a design.

I dye my own hair, I just have it trimmed & I don't really do any other beauty treatments so I really like doing this.

I also can't sit still so when I try & do it myself it always ends up ruined.

Reactions: 3
Does anyone have tips for growing nails? Do any vitamins work or is that all rubbish?
I take preconception vitamins as I'm undergoing fertility treatment and the difference in my nails is unreal. I used to get acrylic nails because they were so brittle and kept breaking so I never had length in them but now they are naturally so strong and long that I don't get them anymore. Definitely a positive side effect I wasn't expecting. The vitamins I take are recommended by the fertility clinic so not the ones available in the pharmacy and slightly pricier. But I'm sure the pharmacy ones would do a perfectly good job too for your nails.

ETA: I LOVE your user name!!!

I have tried for years to grow my nails, bought so many varnishes, tools etc. I just really struggle to do my right hand, I'm clumsy so I usually drop something or spill something :ROFLMAO:

I have BIAB done & it helps my nails grow, I have had acrylics before & I'm odd so I don't like to 'feel' things on me & I could feel it. BIAB & a gel varnish over I can't feel at all.

I use a cuticle oil in between too, try to use it once a day. Helps soften the cuticles & stimulate nail growth.

I try to go between 2-3 weeks, I pay £20 or £25 if I have a design.

I dye my own hair, I just have it trimmed & I don't really do any other beauty treatments so I really like doing this.

I also can't sit still so when I try & do it myself it always ends up ruined.
I’m going to look at BIAB. Heard good things about it

I take preconception vitamins as I'm undergoing fertility treatment and the difference in my nails is unreal. I used to get acrylic nails because they were so brittle and kept breaking so I never had length in them but now they are naturally so strong and long that I don't get them anymore. Definitely a positive side effect I wasn't expecting. The vitamins I take are recommended by the fertility clinic so not the ones available in the pharmacy and slightly pricier. But I'm sure the pharmacy ones would do a perfectly good job too for your nails.

ETA: I LOVE your user name!!!
Thanks for the tips. I’ll see if the pharmacy has any I can use.
And thank you 😊 not hard to guess what my favourite show is