Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I've just had polish taken off from two weeks ago - it started lifting at around the one week mark. Honestly I wasn't a fan of the nail tech (not that I could necessarily do better but it was so uneven, I had no confidence in her at all) but I'm thinking this is a sign that I should be using cuticle oil? Am I right? If so does anyone have any recs?

So I've just had polish taken off from two weeks ago - it started lifting at around the one week mark. Honestly I wasn't a fan of the nail tech (not that I could necessarily do better but it was so uneven, I had no confidence in her at all) but I'm thinking this is a sign that I should be using cuticle oil? Am I right? If so does anyone have any recs?
If the polish started lifting after just one week I think you’re right about the tech tbh. I do my own and they last four weeks with no lifting (and my nails grow fast, so it would make sense if they did lift, but they don’t)

Reactions: 1
If the polish started lifting after just one week I think you’re right about the tech tbh. I do my own and they last four weeks with no lifting (and my nails grow fast, so it would make sense if they did lift, but they don’t)
Ah okay - good to know! Thanks :) got an appointment with another tech on Monday and hopefully she will be fab!

Has anyone used those mini gel lamps that do individual nails? Are they good or a waste of time?

I just love getting my nails done, infact I did today. I go about once a month, maybe more if I'm feeling fancy. I can't do my own but I like getting them done more!
IMG-20220607-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20220607-WA0012.jpeg

Reactions: 7
I very occasionally, like 3x a year, have gel manicures, but I'm a huge cuticle and nail biter and I always have to apologise at the salon for the dreadful condition my nails and fingers are in. I just can't seem to stop biting the skin around my nails, have done it forever. My nails always break.

I recently had a set of acrylics, which I LOVE and it's amazing to finally have decent nails that have stayed intact for close to three weeks.

My question, though, is — why do I feel guilty about spending money on nails? Does anyone else have this? For some reason, dropping 30 quid on a meal out doesn't seem bad but regularly spending £30-£40 at the salon feels kinda frivolous and irresponsible.

What's your routine for keeping nails looking good, do you go to the salon all the time or maintain them yourself? Interested to hear!
I have my nails done every 2-3 weeks. I used to bite mine growing up , but having acrylics makes me feel so much better. I can’t live without them😂😂 I don’t feel bad at all spending money on myself. Self care ✨😂😂. It’s nice to be pampered ! Mine charges £26 for infills so I don’t think that’s terrible .. I have my hair highlighted every 10 weeks or so as well.
Think it’s important to look after yourself in ways that make you feel better and feel good. I personally look forward to going to the nail salon every month .. it’s a little pick me up 💅💗 actually had them done today 😅

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Love these! I really fancy getting coloured tips next time. Are these your natural nails or extentions?
I've got a coloured tip addiction at the moment, I had black and also blue recently. These are my natural nails, my tech is so good they've grown really long...I actually wanted them a bit shorter but my language skills failed me on that one (I live abroad and my lady does not speak English!)

I had these and really loved them,!
IMG-20220430-WA0009.jpeg

Reactions: 2
Has anyone used those mini gel lamps that do individual nails? Are they good or a waste of time?
I have a little pink led one that I hold over a nail. It's good, I don't use it much though, usually just to quick set something before placing it under lamp for longer anyways. It takes 3 batteries and so far they have lasted well. Handy to have and wasn't super expensive on Amazon.

Does anyone have any tips for removing gel nails yourself? Preferably without leaving massive ridges in your nails, which is what happened when I followed my nail tech's instructions to the letter 😬🙄

Does anyone have any tips for removing gel nails yourself? Preferably without leaving massive ridges in your nails, which is what happened when I followed my nail tech's instructions to the letter 😬🙄
I soak mine in acetone with foil, when it’s gel powder extensions it takes two sessions (usually because I cba to do it all at once) and I soak them for 45-60 mins each time. Gently use a cuticle
stick to get the goo off. Don’t buff them, that’s what caused me to get ridges.

I soak mine in acetone with foil, when it’s gel powder extensions it takes two sessions (usually because I cba to do it all at once) and I soak them for 45-60 mins each time. Gently use a cuticle
stick to get the goo off. Don’t buff them, that’s what caused me to get ridges.
Fab thanks - do you use just regular acetone? Or is there some super strength version I should be using?

I soak off rather than foil. If you put hot water in a bowl and then put another bowl of acetone on top, the acetone heats up and it’s far quicker. You can get little soaking bowls from Amazon which is what I use. If you’re using a low grit buffer there shouldn’t be any ridges, you need to buff really for your nails to look normal afterwards - don’t use a nail file. Something like a 220/240 grit buffer wouldn’t leave ridges.

Also, if you choose the foil method, don’t leave acetone on for ages, this is a common mistake. After a while the gel starts to reharden so it becomes really hard to scrape off. If you’ve done a good job buffing off your top coat then by the time you’ve put foils on all your 10 fingers, the first one you did should be peeling. If it isn’t, more buffing was needed or more acetone on the cotton pad. But like I say the hot soaking method I find much quicker and easier :)

• Heart
Fab thanks - do you use just regular acetone? Or is there some super strength version I should be using?
I just use regular but I’ve also used “artificial nail remover” from Superdrug which was a teeny bit faster

Just to say I followed everyone's tips here (especially @judgejohndeed!) and my nails look absolutely FAB. Thank you all 👏 Lots of cuticle oil is making such a difference to my dry nails too.

• Heart
Reactions: 4