Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a child this was my waking nightmare, but with trains not tubes
I never stood at the edge of the platform I was always by the wall. I once saw a woman in the platform's edge fall when the train arrived so that she was wedged in between the tube train and the platform. Luckily for her a couple of blokes ran forward and pulled her out otherwise she woul probably been dragged under the train. Those guys were total heroes.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I never stood at the edge of the platform I was always by the wall. I once saw a woman in the platform's edge fall when the train arrived so that she was wedged in between the tube train and the platform. Luckily for her a couple of blokes ran forward and pulled her out otherwise she woul probably been dragged under the train. Those guys were total heroes.
There’s something about train platforms i get very nervous about . I’ve witnessed nothing on the scale of what you witnessed though . That’s horrible!
Wasps , absolutely no need for the spiteful bastards . I had a very bad incident as a 7/8 year old and a wasps nest .They are poison.
I literally scream to the decibel only dogs hear when one even gets within 10foot of me

Reactions: 5
Great white sharks, Jaws put the fear in me as a child. I get a sweat on just seeing them on the TV or on a photo hence you'd never see me in the sea.

Moths.. I dread summer sometimes purely for that reason. I scream if one comes near me and my windows are never open at night. They are just disgusting.

Reactions: 3
I’ve mentioned this before somewhere but it bears repeating: plants. Little Shop of Horrors did an absolute number on me. I want to start an indoor garden but holy bleeping moly am I scared off feeding plants. 😥

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Mine is bleeping weird but here goes 😂
My fear is that when I use the torch okay my phone to look at my boobs or foof that I’m gonna accidentally video call someone and they will see all my bits 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Moths - once many years ago I was walking home from work in the early evening. It was dark, I felt a bit stressed and so I let out a massive sigh and as I deeply breathed back in, a large moth had the audacity to fly into my mouth. It freaked me out so much that I couldn't breathe for a split second and nearly cried. I changed my route home and I've never done deep breathing like that again in public :confused: . I still feel grossed out whenever I see the road it happened on.
Another one is my fear of dying in the bathtub, because I will be found naked by my loved ones and the paramedics

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I once had a nightmare where I was swimming in a pool full of eyelashes. I've lived in fear of this happening ever since.

• Sick
Reactions: 4
I haven't read the whole thread, but I suddenly feel more sane realising I'm not alone with my thoughts. My main ones
- that I've hit someone with my car and not realised
- that the washing machine might spontaneously burst into flames when I'm out of the house
- that I left the hob on (even if I've not used it in hours)
- that my husband is dead next to me in bed (this one possibly comes from a lad I went to school with passing away next to his girlfriend. Very tragic sudden Adult Death syndrome)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I always have a fear of not waking up when I am trying to go to sleep.

Anyone else here have what I call an "Nth Degree" thought process? What I mean is someone says "so and so is dying", immediately in my mind I've imagined attending their funeral, for example. Or if someone says there's going to be a planned powercut at work next week for 10 mins whilst maintenance crew work on something, I'm immediately thinking that the whole day's task list is going to be ruined.

How I see it is someone presents me with information and it's like my brain can't help but imagine the "Nth Degree" or worst case scenario. Is this flight or fight kicking in? Is it me trying to prepare for the worst, all the time? Surely it can't just be me.

Reactions: 7
Insects/bugs. I’m not that bothered about spiders but insects and bugs really freak me out. Sometimes when I lie in bed trying to sleep the thought comes over me that there’s bugs and insects all over my room and bed that are gonna climb all over me 😅 then I get dead paranoid and itchy and can’t sleep. If I see a bug anywhere in the house I freak the duck out

losing my teeth. I’m so paranoid about my teeth falling out. I obsessively look at my teeth at least over 5 times a day. Proper inspect each one of them 😬

Moths - once many years ago I was walking home from work in the early evening. It was dark, I felt a bit stressed and so I let out a massive sigh and as I deeply breathed back in, a large moth had the audacity to fly into my mouth. It freaked me out so much that I couldn't breathe for a split second and nearly cried. I changed my route home and I've never done deep breathing like that again in public :confused: . I still feel grossed out whenever I see the road it happened on.
Another one is my fear of dying in the bathtub, because I will be found naked by my loved ones and the paramedics
OMG a this has happened to me also- I was already afraid of moths and butterflies so it was bleeping horrifying🤢

• Sad
Choking to death ... I seem to have trouble digesting an ever-increasing list of foods, and several times throughout my life I've thought, "This is it!" while I've rushed to stick my fingers in my mouth to try and retrieve the stuck object.

Reactions: 2
Choking to death ... I seem to have trouble digesting an ever-increasing list of foods, and several times throughout my life I've thought, "This is it!" while I've rushed to stick my fingers in my mouth to try and retrieve the stuck object.
Same here.

I had a bad experience once and now have a big issue when it comes to eating. I am quite thorough now with chewing and overdo it massively. It's become a bit of a problem actually and I definitely should see somebody about it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I suddenly feel more sane realising I'm not alone with my thoughts. My main ones
- that I've hit someone with my car and not realised
!!!! - i had this so badly that i went to my gp about it. around ten years or so ago i bumped a kerb with the back wheel of my car while parking and convinced myself i’d hit a cyclist (why a cyclist who knows? 🤣) to the point that i was checking local news etc to see if anyone had reported anything.

it’s actually a form of ocd (called “hit and run ocd”) and effects a lot of people, if that gives you any reassurance 💙 i’ve gotten better with it, and with controlling the intrusive thoughts side of my ocd, over time but it sometimes still crops up.

• Heart
1) rats climbing through sewage pipes and climbing up into the toilet bowl when I am sitting on the lav
2) when I'm driving alone at night, any car that turns in the same direction as me more than once is definitely following me
3) getting an electric shock every time I flick a light switch
4) touching velvet. Half fabric, half fur. I hate it.

Baked beans 😩 I can't be in the same room as someone eating them and I can't walk down the aisle where they are in supermarkets.

Butterflies.

Balloons.

There's a B theme here.

• Haha
!!!! - i had this so badly that i went to my gp about it. around ten years or so ago i bumped a kerb with the back wheel of my car while parking and convinced myself i’d hit a cyclist (why a cyclist who knows? 🤣) to the point that i was checking local news etc to see if anyone had reported anything.

it’s actually a form of ocd (called “hit and run ocd”) and effects a lot of people, if that gives you any reassurance 💙 i’ve gotten better with it, and with controlling the intrusive thoughts side of my ocd, over time but it sometimes still crops up.
I'm pleased to hear you were able to get help. Not many people are aware that it's a form of OCD. Some people with it actually drive back and retrace the routes they drove to try and find the person they think they hit and can do that several times a day as well as things that you mention like checking news reports. There are so many different ways OCD can present. It's a shame it's still a relatively 'unknown' condition. It's always linked to the tidyness/germ stuff, which obviously is just as debilitating but isn't the full picture.

• Heart
I'm pleased to hear you were able to get help. Not many people are aware that it's a form of OCD. Some people with it actually drive back and retrace the routes they drove to try and find the person they think they hit and can do that several times a day as well as things that you mention like checking news reports. There are so many different ways OCD can present. It's a shame it's still a relatively 'unknown' condition. It's always linked to the tidyness/germ stuff, which obviously is just as debilitating but isn't the full picture.
thank you 💙

and you’re exactly right. when i tell people i have ocd they automatically assume i’m super clean and have lots of routines before leaving the house etc, but i always try to explain it people like it’s obsessive compulsive - the compulsions are the cleaning, the routines and the obsessions are the intrusive thoughts. a lot of people, like me, have one but not the other. there’s so many layers to it that people just don’t realise.

• Heart
I admit I've retraced a route to check I've not left someone in the road. Or obsessively check my mirrors for people following me, because they would stop to help someone. Feel like a lunatic now, this is the first time I've 'spoken' about it.
I definitely show less of this behaviour now I'm on anti depressants.

• Heart
Aeroplanes
Before I had flew on one I had only ever see them in the sky (obviously lol) and on tv etc
To see them up close scared the tit out of me
The size of them made me feel funny
No idea why

Swimming pools
I can’t be the first one in
Someone else has to go in first
Not sure if it’s because when I was a child I was pushed in one outside at friends and it had a frog in
But also when I see them dirty all green and algae like gives me the creeps

The other week was in my town on the top level and looked over down below at the shops and shoppers and I kept wanting to jump over!
Also when walking along a cliff I have the urge to jump off the cliff!
So scary as I know I’m likely to die

As a carer in old people’s home walking into someone dead in bed isn’t uncommon but laying next to my husband if he died in his sleep scares me too

• Heart