Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I admit I've retraced a route to check I've not left someone in the road. Or obsessively check my mirrors for people following me, because they would stop to help someone. Feel like a lunatic now, this is the first time I've 'spoken' about it.
I definitely show less of this behaviour now I'm on anti depressants.
You're definitely not a lunatic! I've got a friend who does it. They didn't know it was OCD until we were talking about it and I explained what it was.

I've experienced a version of this particular presentation amongst others, along with various lower level rituals, obsessions and intrusive thoughts since I was little. I've never sought 'professional' help but I have learnt a lot about it over the years in order to help myself. I've never told anybody the extent of it except my ex husband who then used it against me in various ways which put me off explaining it others.

The worst flare up was when my thyroid was overactive. Which makes sense because that raises your anxiety physiologically, higher heart rate etc but God it was bad. I became really paranoid I'd drop my baby out of the window, to the extent I used to creep around the bedroom with him, leaning against the bed and insisted on all the windows being locked. That baby is 12 now but if I think about that time I'm right there in it if that makes sense? I've never told anyone else that so there you go, we're sharing tonight x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Whilst walking the fells, it's sinking..even though I know I won't. But some parts are boggy.

Reactions: 1
I'm scared of birds especially chickens, I run like crazy if one comes up to me. But my really irrational fear are empty birds nests that we find in our hedges. I run in get my husband to remove them. They are so creepy. If I find a dead bird in the garden I give a bit of a scream and I run in the house. Frogs also make me scream and hand flap and I can't go in the garden for a few days 🙄

I don’t like seeing the bottom of boats 😂 do you know what I mean? Like it’s not natural to see the bottom of a boat lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 3
When I was a child there was a Virgin Money advert featuring Geoffrey Hayes of Rainbow fame, it highlighted that (at that time) he'd lost all his money and was working as a taxi driver, encouraging the viewer to use their services so the same thing wouldn't happen to you. I was about 10 at the time and I remember after I saw this ad, I was really worried I might suddenly run out of money as an adult. At the time I wrote in my diary "I bet people throw empty beer cans at him" and worried that might happen to me too :oops:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
My name is mixusmaxus and I used to have an irrational fear of not wearing matching underwear and being hit by a bus and the paramedics being horrified by my style faux pas 🤣 I was about 16/17 at the time but it really did keep me up at night.
First time I’ve seen this thread but obviously this is the first post I read…

I was running late for work one morning (12 years ago now) and grabbed my scruffiest, grey, saggy underwear (you know the type). Anyhow… some absolute idiot ran me off the road, I ended up firstly upside down in a ditch and then in A&E… having my clothes cut off by an INCREDIBLY handsome doctor. Obviously I was off my tits on morphine by that time but according to my mum all I kept saying was ‘don’t look at my pants… DONT LOOK AT MY PANTS’ 🙈🙈🙈🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I don't fly anymore, but such is my fear of flying that whenever a family member takes a flight I see them off with full acceptance in my mind that the plane will go down and I'll never see them again ... until they contact me to let me know they've landed safely. It's terrible and it consumes me.

• Sad
Basements - they make me shudder. They aren’t that common in the UK but so many US homes seem to have them. It doesn’t matter if they are fully converted to family rooms or gyms or whatever, or storage spaces. The idea of that room under the level of your ground floor fills me with horror!
Also seaweed and dead crabs!

Reactions: 4
I had a dream where I was on a team quiz show and my colleagues kept giving inane responses while I knew the correct answer. For some reason I was bound and gagged and could only make muffled frustrated noises.

Whales I am absolutely petrified of whales!! But what are the chances of seeing a whale in Nottingham, UK

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Small holes ….As I’m getting older it’s getting worse it’s spoilt things like crumpets for me now …the look of anything with small holes makes me want to puke and puts me on edge!!
I know where I hit it when I was in senior school a fake picture went round of a woman’s boob with loads of small holes saying flies laid eggs in it!!!!!!

got me ever since 🤢🤢🤢😢😢😢

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’ve always been scared of my car floor collapsing while I’m driving, so I will fall through the bottom as I’m doing 60 miles an hour. Not even sure where it’s come from but every time I drive fast, I have the thought go through my head that it’ll be like a reverse ejector seat. @emmer_moans that sounds like you are catastrophising- one of the 9 main distorted thought patterns. You immediately go to the worst case scenario. google catastrophising/catastrophic thinking/thinking traps/distorted thinking and you’ll find some helpful stuff!

• Heart
Fire alarm going off when using the toilet and getting trapped in there. Bathrooms with an alarm in put me on edge!

Going to the loo on a plane, The noise it makes when you flush it and Im Scared what would happen if I get locked in

Me too especially as I'm single with no children.
same! for me it’s the more natural aging process that just gives me the fear - the idea of being less mobile, losing independence, general loneliness (even if i did have kids i would hope they would have their own lives), ill health, the way society treats elderly people in general. i would much rather happily check out in my mid-late 60s or so 🤷🏼‍♀️

someone posted about the oldest person in the world dying recently at (i think) 116 and the thought of living to that age is horrifying to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
same! for me it’s the more natural aging process that just gives me the fear - the idea of being less mobile, losing independence, general loneliness (even if i did have kids i would hope they would have their own lives), ill health, the way society treats elderly people in general. i would much rather happily check out in my mid-late 60s or so 🤷🏼‍♀️

someone posted about the oldest person in the world dying recently at (i think) 116 and the thought of living to that age is horrifying to me.
My biggest fear is being old and alone. I’m 36, single with no kids and I’m an only child. Yes I have cousins etc who I’m close to but they’re all older than me and obviously my friends will mostly be the same age. It’s terrifying

• Heart