Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I'm pleased to hear you were able to get help. Not many people are aware that it's a form of OCD. Some people with it actually drive back and retrace the routes they drove to try and find the person they think they hit and can do that several times a day as well as things that you mention like checking news reports. There are so many different ways OCD can present. It's a shame it's still a relatively 'unknown' condition. It's always linked to the tidyness/germ stuff, which obviously is just as debilitating but isn't the full picture.
thank you 💙

and you’re exactly right. when i tell people i have ocd they automatically assume i’m super clean and have lots of routines before leaving the house etc, but i always try to explain it people like it’s obsessive compulsive - the compulsions are the cleaning, the routines and the obsessions are the intrusive thoughts. a lot of people, like me, have one but not the other. there’s so many layers to it that people just don’t realise.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Rosie glow

VIP Member
I live with my husband and when he works away I always panic that there’s someone in the house, either a person or a demon and I literally have to lie in bed with my eyes tightly shut and the covers over my ears…

Motorways. I can’t drive on them and when I’m in the passenger seat on one I just tense up the whole journey.

When I’m in old or tall buildings I’m always terrified that the floor will just give way and I’ll fall through.
I used to do that when my husband was a coach driver and used to be a way alot for days at a time. I would check all doors were locked all windows were shut inside the wardrobes even behind the shower curtain. I also made him put a lock on the door up to the attic room.
We now live opposite a wood its pitch black with no streetlights thankfully he's not away anymore if he was I would definately be staying at my mums 😅

Tishtushmush

Yes!
To all of this!
Never think about what’s waiting outside when the house is full only when alone or darkness 😂

Anyone else have to stop themselves from jumping off cliffs even though you know you would most probably die or is that just me?
Think it’s something like intrusive thoughts
My intrusive thoughts tend to be around driving, e.g. wanting to jerk the steering wheel. It's never something I've nearly done though, however, growing up, I knew a man who had a compulsion to jump off piers. We lived on the coast but he rarely went to the seaside because the pull was so strong and unsettling.

Growing up I was convinced things would eat my ears if I left them uncovered at bedtime - even though I know it's completely irrational now I still have to sleep with my covers right up round my head because of that small "what if" in my head 😂

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
I had this once. I actually locked the door and someone tried to open it but obviously it didn't open. She then went to get a member of staff who had the key and he unlocked the door whilst I was sitting on the loo 😳😳. It was in Starbucks where they just have the single cubicles so I think the member of staff just thought he hadn't unlocked it that day.

So not to make your fear any worse, but sometimes ensuring you have locked the door isn't enough if a staff member comes over with a key!
I used to work on a hospital ward that had the staff toilet opposite the main doors of the ward ( all glass) and in a large open space. Staff had to use their keys to open the toilet but even if you’d locked it when you were inside someone could open it from outside with their key. To make it worse it was the size of the toilets you have in somewhere like Costa so there was no way you could hold the door shut while using the toilet. I did walk in on someone using it once 😬🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Me too especially as I'm single with no children.
same! for me it’s the more natural aging process that just gives me the fear - the idea of being less mobile, losing independence, general loneliness (even if i did have kids i would hope they would have their own lives), ill health, the way society treats elderly people in general. i would much rather happily check out in my mid-late 60s or so 🤷🏼‍♀️

someone posted about the oldest person in the world dying recently at (i think) 116 and the thought of living to that age is horrifying to me.

• Heart

HowlOwl

VIP Member
Driving on a motorway or running over someone in my car. I have been known to go back and double check.

Someone breaking into my house and murdering me (made worse recently by the Idaho murders) I also don't like having my back turned on an open door. Iv always felt like someone could come behind me and either stab me or hit me over the head.

I get really anxious walking around places like ikea and costoco- but the parts where the stock is piled high, as I keep worrying something will fall down and crush me or my little boy (got worse since becoming a mum)

Being near Windows at night without a curtain/ blind. I hate the feeling that someone could see me but I can't see them.

Reading this back.....think iv got problems! 🤣🤣🤣
Couldn’t sleep without curtains or blinds. Often in Scandinoir tv series, or modern city apartments - all the exposed glass! Must be horrendous in the morning, especially with a hangover.

Loveit17

The dark
Still as a grown up old adult I hate complete utter darkness
Me and hubby stayed at a Manor House once and the room was so dark I couldn’t even see my hand in front of my face, I had to get up and open the curtains

Sleeping in the house by myself when my husband is away
I’ve never lived alone, I can’t completely relax because of course whatever is outside is waiting for me to let my guard down

Lifts/elevators - hate them, moving metal coffins I live in perpetual fear of being trapped in one of them

Flying and turbulence- after every flight I say that’s it never again ….till the next time 😬

irrational fear - sink holes 🙈
I sleep with the light on when my husband isn’t home at night for any reason! (Like working away or on a night out with friends and getting home late) I can’t sleep in darkness by myself! I never have!

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
house subsidence 🤦🏼‍♀️

someone in work’s house had huge issues just as i was buying mine (after taking up a huge oak tree in their garden without properly preparing) and i still find myself staring at tiny cracks in my wall or ceiling like: is this it? 😳

also any kind of water damage or leakage. again based on horror stories overheard in work, mainly from when someone’s bath fell through their ceiling. and actually ceiling collapse in general.

(in short: i spend a lot of time staring at my living room ceiling 🤣🤣)

• Haha

patsy_stone

Pylons. I think there was some sort of advert on the TV when I was a kid and the pylons were walking? Hated them ever since.

• Haha

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
Centaurs. Imagine being chased by one - not only could it run much faster than you but it could hurl abuse at you while it was doing it!
This is reminding me of that question: would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck.

A horse-sized duck sounds bloody terrifying.

Gossgirl12

Chatty Member
Great white sharks, Jaws put the fear in me as a child. I get a sweat on just seeing them on the TV or on a photo hence you'd never see me in the sea.

Moths.. I dread summer sometimes purely for that reason. I scream if one comes near me and my windows are never open at night. They are just disgusting.

!!!! - i had this so badly that i went to my gp about it. around ten years or so ago i bumped a kerb with the back wheel of my car while parking and convinced myself i’d hit a cyclist (why a cyclist who knows? 🤣) to the point that i was checking local news etc to see if anyone had reported anything.

it’s actually a form of ocd (called “hit and run ocd”) and effects a lot of people, if that gives you any reassurance 💙 i’ve gotten better with it, and with controlling the intrusive thoughts side of my ocd, over time but it sometimes still crops up.
I'm pleased to hear you were able to get help. Not many people are aware that it's a form of OCD. Some people with it actually drive back and retrace the routes they drove to try and find the person they think they hit and can do that several times a day as well as things that you mention like checking news reports. There are so many different ways OCD can present. It's a shame it's still a relatively 'unknown' condition. It's always linked to the tidyness/germ stuff, which obviously is just as debilitating but isn't the full picture.

• Heart

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I live with my husband and when he works away I always panic that there’s someone in the house, either a person or a demon and I literally have to lie in bed with my eyes tightly shut and the covers over my ears…

Motorways. I can’t drive on them and when I’m in the passenger seat on one I just tense up the whole journey.

When I’m in old or tall buildings I’m always terrified that the floor will just give way and I’ll fall through.

• Heart