Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Catfan2

Chatty Member
Lots of things - wasps being the worst. They ruin the summer for me. If one comes near me while I’m outside, I’m straight back in and won’t go out again.
Eyes - when your eye itches and you rub it and it makes that squeaking noise so you have to stop even though it still itches.
Sitting anywhere in a cinema or theatre that isn’t on the end of a row. Hate being ‘hemmed in’.
Toilets - especially if there’s a traffic jam on the motorway and I know I can’t go, I will need to go RIGHT NOW.
There are plenty more, this is just a selection!

Reactions: 4

Dont swipe up!

VIP Member
The dark
Still as a grown up old adult I hate complete utter darkness
Me and hubby stayed at a Manor House once and the room was so dark I couldn’t even see my hand in front of my face, I had to get up and open the curtains

Sleeping in the house by myself when my husband is away
I’ve never lived alone, I can’t completely relax because of course whatever is outside is waiting for me to let my guard down

Lifts/elevators - hate them, moving metal coffins I live in perpetual fear of being trapped in one of them

Flying and turbulence- after every flight I say that’s it never again ….till the next time 😬

irrational fear - sink holes 🙈
Yes!
To all of this!
Never think about what’s waiting outside when the house is full only when alone or darkness 😂

Anyone else have to stop themselves from jumping off cliffs even though you know you would most probably die or is that just me?
Think it’s something like intrusive thoughts

• Heart

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
Cotton wool. I can't bare to watch people use it, touch it, pull it apart.
Baked beans. The smell, the taste, the texture.
I.leave the room if anyone has either of these.
Oh & clowns. Freak the hell out of me.

PumpkinKing

Chatty Member
Drinking a cup of tea and finding a spider in it. 😳
This happened to me once but with coffee. Didn't drink anything but water for a while after that 🤢

I have so many (I have anxiety).
When I was younger I hated swimming pools as I was convinced a shark would get in through the vents.
Hated baths as was convinced a spider would crawl out of the over flow hole.
I've always constantly checked my kids were breathing when they were babies, there were times I was getting so little sleep , it was awful.
These days it's fear of my kids hurting themselves. I won't let them ride down the hill on scooters or bikes as I'm terrified they'll fall off. See kids doing it on the school run and I can't watch, I get panicky. I have awful visions and no medication or therapy can stop it.

Last edited:
  • Heart

NeverEnough

VIP Member
I remember as a young child my mum told me that “If you touch a slug you will turn into one”. Of course I now realise it was to stop me picking them up, as a young kid does. But at the time it installed a mortal fear of slugs, and even now if I see one my first reaction is to cringe and think “Don’t touch it for gods sake”. I’m 52.

• Haha

Geranium

VIP Member
Basements - they make me shudder. They aren’t that common in the UK but so many US homes seem to have them. It doesn’t matter if they are fully converted to family rooms or gyms or whatever, or storage spaces. The idea of that room under the level of your ground floor fills me with horror!
Also seaweed and dead crabs!

Sglodion

Chatty Member
Not always, but if I'm having a period of general anxiety anyway I sometimes get freaked out by the sky. I think the underlying issue is related to fear of being outdoors and exposed, but it comes out as fear of the sky specifically.

• Heart

Lalla

VIP Member
Losing my teeth. Particularly my front teeth and even more so of falling over and breaking them/them being smashed out.
I know someone who fell out of a (open) patio door when we were all at a party, landed face first and smashed both his front teeth out :eek: He was very drunk at the time which I think probably helped with both the pain and shock.

• Wow
I admit I've retraced a route to check I've not left someone in the road. Or obsessively check my mirrors for people following me, because they would stop to help someone. Feel like a lunatic now, this is the first time I've 'spoken' about it.
I definitely show less of this behaviour now I'm on anti depressants.
You're definitely not a lunatic! I've got a friend who does it. They didn't know it was OCD until we were talking about it and I explained what it was.

I've experienced a version of this particular presentation amongst others, along with various lower level rituals, obsessions and intrusive thoughts since I was little. I've never sought 'professional' help but I have learnt a lot about it over the years in order to help myself. I've never told anybody the extent of it except my ex husband who then used it against me in various ways which put me off explaining it others.

The worst flare up was when my thyroid was overactive. Which makes sense because that raises your anxiety physiologically, higher heart rate etc but God it was bad. I became really paranoid I'd drop my baby out of the window, to the extent I used to creep around the bedroom with him, leaning against the bed and insisted on all the windows being locked. That baby is 12 now but if I think about that time I'm right there in it if that makes sense? I've never told anyone else that so there you go, we're sharing tonight x

• Heart

Coastal dreams

When I was little I'm told I was absolutely terrified of the rubber mat in the record player. Whenever it was taken off to be cleaned I would literally run away screaming. No one, including myself, has ever been able to say why!

• Haha

unidentified

VIP Member
Water, I’m fine in the shower and washing my hands etc 😂 It’s mainly outdoor water. Not for the depth but for the ‘bits’ in there. I couldn’t cope it anything was remotely near me. Fish freak me out completely but even if it was a leaf 🤢. Bath bombs with petals in 🤢 washing the dishes and touching a bit of food 🤢 I feel ill talking about it. It annoys me because I would like to do more outdoor water sports but I just can’t do it

Sibz

VIP Member
I can't stand being up high somewhere without a railing or wall, I get a crippling fear of heights. Theme park rides, glass floors, balconies, anything where your held in or there's a railing - I'm absoutely fine, but walking near a cliff edge or coastal path I feel paralysed with fear, I can't go near the edge. I feel sick seeing people stand near the edge taking photos. It's just the thought of losing your footing or tripping and just going straight over 😫😣

Last edited:

BWinter

I remember in holby city (?) when Tess (?) got impailed by a pole. Fell backwards onto it and it went through her stomach... my 9 year old self was traumatised.
That reminds me of that episode of 999 with the lad at school getting a javelin through his neck!