Yoga Girl Rachel Brathen #3 Conversations from the Ego

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No offense to anyone who likes Colleen Hoover but it makes so much sense that Rachel's a CoHo reader. So much sense.
I've never read anything by Colleen Hoover, nor know who she is. But I am a bookworm. I'm interested in your take on what you mean by it makes sense she's a Colleen Hoover reader
---
Also just going to say it. I get creeped out by the look of Dennis' dad!!! He's so homely. :oops: The smile is what scares me.

I've never read anything by Colleen Hoover, nor know who she is. But I am a bookworm. I'm interested in your take on what you mean by it makes sense she's a Colleen Hoover reader
---
Also just going to say it. I get creeped out by the look of Dennis' dad!!! He's so homely. :oops: The smile is what scares me.
She's a massive "romance"/women's fiction author.

Many people have written about it much more eloquently, but basically her writing is terrible and she romanticizes toxic or even abusive relationships. It's kind of toxic romance trash. But TikTok loves her and has made her a powerhouse. Earlier this year, she was in a massive controversy because she and her publisher were putting out a coloring book based on one of her books called It Ends With Us, which deals with domestic abuse. Tasteless at best, offensive and harmful at worst. She gave a very generic apology when she announced she was pulling the book.

So yeah, it makes sense to me that Rachel, who wouldn't recognize a healthy relationship - romantic or otherwise - if it came out jumping and screaming at her and who is also incapable of apologizing and who loves grief tourism would like Colleen Hoover books.

Reactions: 4
Actually enjoying Rachel's stories in the Netherlands today. No filter (although face sometimes hidden a bit), eating junk food and being more real. No tea ceremonies, tree hugging, bone broth. They all look really happy- maybe they will move there. Or buy a house and Airbnb it for more passive income.

Reactions: 2
Actually enjoying Rachel's stories in the Netherlands today. No filter (although face sometimes hidden a bit), eating junk food and being more real. No tea ceremonies, tree hugging, bone broth. They all look really happy- maybe they will move there. Or buy a house and Airbnb it for more passive income.
I mean, she was still Rachel. She tried to food shame Lea and Dennis for those sausages and the something else and then put in that condescending, oh sorry Netherlands, your food rocks story (not the exact words but I'm too lazy to look her up now).

It was less annoying than the usual, but she was still annoying 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I mean, she was still Rachel. She tried to food shame Lea and Dennis for those sausages and the something else and then put in that condescending, oh sorry Netherlands, your food rocks story (not the exact words but I'm too lazy to look her up now).

It was less annoying than the usual, but she was still annoying 🤣
Sorry guys, I found it just as annoying and maybe more so than usual. She is so abrasive. She can’t let her poor husband going through a very difficult time, enjoy some favorite foods from his childhood without making fun of him and shaming him by ripping on the food and restaurants? And does she need to broadcast her dislike of these businesses and foods and her shaming of Dennis to her 2 million followers? Seems disrespectful to Dennis and the country. Her food issues are so annoying.

Reactions: 3
Sorry guys, I found it just as annoying and maybe more so than usual. She is so abrasive. She can’t let her poor husband going through a very difficult time, enjoy some favorite foods from his childhood without making fun of him and shaming him by ripping on the food and restaurants? And does she need to broadcast her dislike of these businesses and foods and her shaming of Dennis to her 2 million followers? Seems disrespectful to Dennis and the country. Her food issues are so annoying.
I found it less annoying than her dumb smug grin as she walks through the woods, but you're 100% right that she was being an asshole to Dennis. I think she believes she's being funny, "roasting" her loved ones in like a witty manner. But she always comes across as a jerk and of course considering the reason why they're there, she should have zipped it.

I found it less annoying than her dumb smug grin as she walks through the woods, but you're 100% right that she was being an asshole to Dennis. I think she believes she's being funny, "roasting" her loved ones in like a witty manner. But she always comes across as a jerk and of course considering the reason why they're there, she should have zipped it.
Agree. I just can’t stand the smug tea ceremonies and boring walks through the forests.
Yeah, just let Dennis enjoy his food.

She always puts herself on a higher horse. Dennis sausage is bad because no meat from an organic small farm or her bothers forest but it's a different thing when she eats her swedish cheese stuff or in restaurants.

She always puts herself on a higher horse. Dennis sausage is bad because no meat from an organic small farm or her bothers forest but it's a different thing when she eats her swedish cheese stuff or in restaurants.
Yes, and she seems to use food a lot to do so. ‘Not vegan = bad!’. No, wait, ‘Vegan = bad!!’. And while we are at it, ‘’Wall food’/Dutch food = bad!’. 🙄

Last edited:
And back to our regular content of forest walks and smug smiles.
---
And I'm sorry but all this rhetoric about heavy, sad days that also feel so beautiful... Get off, Rachel. Imagine having a loved one also in the terminal stages of cancer and in addition to all the pain feeling like you should be seeing the "beauty" of it, because guru Rachel does.

And what's this obsession with things being beautiful? Even if a life stage isn't beautiful it's still important.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
And back to our regular content of forest walks and smug smiles.
---
And I'm sorry but all this rhetoric about heavy, sad days that also feel so beautiful... Get off, Rachel. Imagine having a loved one also in the terminal stages of cancer and in addition to all the pain feeling like you should be seeing the "beauty" of it, because guru Rachel does.

And what's this obsession with things being beautiful? Even if a life stage isn't beautiful it's still important.
WTF! Is she supporting Dennis and his sister. Or just gloating she is back in Sweden and can fit into some jacket?

And the boasting she just woke up in Sweden so happy it’s spring!
Then a load of shots about teapots.
---
Actually I am pretty angry. Or she is so fake.
Crying about Dennis’s sister and the end of her life on the podcast. And I’m sure she said she would be there till the end, (which is so sad- I know what that feels like).

Then posts about some luggage issue on a train. And laughing. I know you have to look for light in times of sadness. But do you really have to make & post a video about it all the bleeping stupid things you are doing? Did you leave Dennis behind while you had fun on the train & filmed it?

Now she is bleeping dancing about in the snow with her daughter.

Has she lost her mind?
Does she really care for Dennis and his family?
What example is she leaving for her daughter?

Yeah I get she is going through a hard time but if I was her sister I would tell you to take the bleeping phone if her hand shove it up her arse. Not make lighthearted videos. Moron.

HAVE SOME RESPECT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
WTF! Is she supporting Dennis and his sister. Or just gloating she is back in Sweden and can fit into some jacket?

And the boasting she just woke up in Sweden so happy it’s spring!
Then a load of shots about teapots.
---
Actually I am pretty angry. Or she is so fake.
Crying about Dennis’s sister and the end of her life on the podcast. And I’m sure she said she would be there till the end, (which is so sad- I know what that feels like).

Then posts about some luggage issue on a train. And laughing. I know you have to look for light in times of sadness. But do you really have to make & post a video about it all the bleeping stupid things you are doing? Did you leave Dennis behind while you had fun on the train & filmed it?

Now she is bleeping dancing about in the snow with her daughter.

Has she lost her mind?
Does she really care for Dennis and his family?
What example is she leaving for her daughter?

Yeah I get she is going through a hard time but if I was her sister I would tell you to take the bleeping phone if her hand shove it up her arse. Not make lighthearted videos. Moron.

HAVE SOME RESPECT.
Honestly, it's all very weird. Dennis came back with her and he just went off skiing with Rachel's brother for the weekend. So like... doesn't seem like he's particularly heartbroken either. But I guess people grieve in different ways...

My guess is they went to see the sister while she's still "well enough" to see them and spend time with them, probably she's just moved to hospice. They'll probably be back for the very end/funeral.

Honestly, it's all very weird. Dennis came back with her and he just went off skiing with Rachel's brother for the weekend. So like... doesn't seem like he's particularly heartbroken either. But I guess people grieve in different ways...

My guess is they went to see the sister while she's still "well enough" to see them and spend time with them, probably she's just moved to hospice. They'll probably be back for the very end/funeral.
She talks about it on the pod. Things rapidly progressed recently and they thought it was near the end when they flew out this time, but things stabilized. So the plan would be just to be able to fly back at the very end. Sounds like the time they could spend with her was limited due to her condition. It was too much to have visitors for very long sometimes due to pain, fatigue, etc.

I've been wondering why it's so quiet here lately then I realized...Even her attempts at riling up controversy and attention are too boring to comment on these days. 🤣 Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end of Rakel

• Haha

When you have a loved one who is terminally ill, and timeframes are uncertain, it can be very hard to know how to live your life. I certainly wouldn’t judge Denis for skiiing. I am sure he has feelings of guilt about carrying on with his life. I think especially when you live far from the person, it can be difficult for the reality to set in. My father died from cancer when my son was six months old and I was living overseas. He was diagnosed the day I flew out of Australia to return overseas and because I was pregnant I couldn’t return until after my son was born and we’d obtained all of his paperwork, which took time. When I finally got back to see him, I was completely shocked by his condition, even though I knew logically he had been given a certain timeframe. I felt intensely guilty that I had been living life with my baby and I was so angry at anyone in my family who seemed to be carrying on with life relatively normally. But then after he died I realised how much I’d been holding back from enjoying life and in retrospect I think it’s a shame because I missed out on enjoying my son more because of guilt.

I think the strange thing in this situation is that Rachel doesn’t really discuss the nuances of living with an experience like this. She talks about things being heavy and sad but then immediately “beautiful”. And while that can be true, the way Rachel presents it seems insincere. She flips from stories about Denis’ sister straight to being giddy about home furnishings and while it is okay that she is nesting… I just feel like she could maybe acknowledge how jarring that is? Like, there’s no mention of feeling guilty or anything like that. She doesn’t really talk about things in a complex way.

Reactions: 7
What I wrote wasn't meant to be a dig against anyone, not even Dennis, I clearly wrote that I found it weird, but that people grieve in different ways. My grandma had a stroke and was in hospice when I was in High School. I couldn't just stop, I had to go to classes, I had to do homework, I had to keep up with my extracurriculars, see friends. It just seemed weird for Rachel to show such levity after all the stories about the dying sister.

I've previously posted about how jarring this constant "sad but beautiful" rhetoric is and the expectations and pressures of having to find "beauty" in the hard times. I don't think it's weird for Rachel to keep things shallow, it's actually very Rachel. The captions that made her famous, the books, can be voyeuristic about grief but they're never deep. She doesn't really seem capable of much complexity, there's no real reflection in her writing just navel-gazing. I'm not surprised there's none now.

Not to mention, if we shouldn't judge Dennis for skiing we also shouldn't judge Rachel for being excited about curtains or for having the emotional depth of a droplet of water. And no one here would go an mock them. But I mean, I definitely will continue to talk about it on a gossip site.

That said, 20+ stories on her blessed curtains, Lord have mercy. It's no wonder this thread is dead.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.