Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
thank you for your reply. I’ve been diagnosed since I was a teen. I’ve always really struggled with concentration and I am always all over the place and I have real struggling regulating my emotions. I’ve always decided to not take medication but the older I get the more I struggle so I am considering it if it will help with these symptoms.
I find exercise really helps. I think running is my form of meditation.
would you need to go back to a consultant for medication? Are you in the UK? Waiting times are shocking at the moment b

Reactions: 1
I find exercise really helps. I think running is my form of meditation.
would you need to go back to a consultant for medication? Are you in the UK? Waiting times are shocking at the moment b
Yes I do go to the gym a lot as well. I feel I need just a little extra help if that makes sense. I have an appointment in September

thank you for your reply. I’ve been diagnosed since I was a teen. I’ve always really struggled with concentration and I am always all over the place and I have real struggling regulating my emotions. I’ve always decided to not take medication but the older I get the more I struggle so I am considering it if it will help with these symptoms.
I don't know if this helps, but I had a discussion with my psychiatrist recently about anti-depressant medication and he was reminding me that I can't see meds alone as the solution. They just make it easier to put into place healthy coping strategies, do work at therapy, maintain healthy habits like exercising regularly etc. So perhaps for a time it would be useful to help you get through this period where stuff is becoming more difficult, and maybe down the line you can re-evaluate with your GP/Psychiatrist?

I don't know if this helps, but I had a discussion with my psychiatrist recently about anti-depressant medication and he was reminding me that I can't see meds alone as the solution. They just make it easier to put into place healthy coping strategies, do work at therapy, maintain healthy habits like exercising regularly etc. So perhaps for a time it would be useful to help you get through this period where stuff is becoming more difficult, and maybe down the line you can re-evaluate with your GP/Psychiatrist?
thank you for your reply too.

I have self managed since 13/14 always refused treatment such as medication. I do exercise and eat well. In general I look after myself . I feel I need a little help now tho, I do have an appointment in September to discuss what to do going forward. I think I spoke to the gp in January about it and I was referred

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I was referred by my GP back in February, still no idea of when I’m going to be offered an appointment 🥲

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I was referred by my GP back in February, still no idea of when I’m going to be offered an appointment 🥲
I wasn’t expecting it to be so quick tbh, they told me there was a 2 year wait. Unless now they are trying to get through the waiting lists

• Wow
I wasn’t expecting it to be so quick tbh, they told me there was a 2 year wait. Unless now they are trying to get through the waiting lists
2-years is so long. Also the fact Ive basically been urged to get the assessment by a psychiatrist I previously worked with (I’m a healthcare worker). He told me that a diagnosis could change my way of working - but was not able to do it herself 🥲

has anyone got any experiences of going for a private consultation? Is it worth the price?

2-years is so long. Also the fact Ive basically been urged to get the assessment by a psychiatrist I previously worked with (I’m a healthcare worker). He told me that a diagnosis could change my way of working - but was not able to do it herself 🥲

has anyone got any experiences of going for a private consultation? Is it worth the price?
I went private, there is no adult provision in my health board, it was very straightforward at the time, 2019, I was diagnosed 9 days after contacting them. I think even private at the moment is a huge wait. Some are quicker than others.

Yes I do go to the gym a lot as well. I feel I need just a little extra help if that makes sense. I have an appointment in September
yes it does, I was literally talking about this the other day. Meds are great but they don’t help with all the tit that comes with ADHD. In fact it’s spurred me on, and I’m setting up a CiC tomorrow (I’m halfway through the companies house thingy) because we need more than what we can access or afford.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Medication I'd say helps with concentration initially once it starts to kick in but I don't think it lasts throughout the day. I still need to use coping mechanisms to help me focus at work (white noise, podcasts at a low volume, but controlled noise). The biggest change has been the calmness and a 'meh' attitude to some things but in a good way if that makes sense. I've seen a difference in my emotions. I still get emotional but I think it's a lot less now. Medication has bridged a huge gap. It's not a cure all by any means but it does start me on the right path each day.

Reactions: 6
Medication I'd say helps with concentration initially once it starts to kick in but I don't think it lasts throughout the day. I still need to use coping mechanisms to help me focus at work (white noise, podcasts at a low volume, but controlled noise). The biggest change has been the calmness and a 'meh' attitude to some things but in a good way if that makes sense. I've seen a difference in my emotions. I still get emotional but I think it's a lot less now. Medication has bridged a huge gap. It's not a cure all by any means but it does start me on the right path each day.
Thank you, that was really helpful

One thing that puts me off going private, other than the cost is the medication. My mental health key worker mentioned that if I get a private diagnosis and prescribed medication then I may have trouble getting the prescription on the nhs. That would be a big long term cost. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would love to understand the whole situation and how long it will take to be seen. I was referred in January and have heard nothing.

One thing that puts me off going private, other than the cost is the medication. My mental health key worker mentioned that if I get a private diagnosis and prescribed medication then I may have trouble getting the prescription on the nhs. That would be a big long term cost. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would love to understand the whole situation and how long it will take to be seen. I was referred in January and have heard nothing.
you need to apply for shared care. Some health boards are better than others. But it’s doable

Have any of you lovely women been able to learn to drive with ADHD? I'm absolutely struggling with being attentive behind the wheel.

Reactions: 7
Have any of you lovely women been able to learn to drive with ADHD? I'm absolutely struggling with being attentive behind the wheel.
I only have an automatic license but I absolutely hate driving I just do it because it’s easier

Yep. I have pretty serious anxiety about it and put off learning for years. I’ve been learning for ages and have found it very difficult. There’s a thread on here about learning to drive if you haven’t already seen it.

I think my anxiety is mostly about making a silly mistake or zoning out and panicking with disastrous consequences. I find it hard to follow instructions with several steps too.

Many things I’ve read about problems with driving and ADHD have focused on impulsivity and speeding due to boredom, speeding isn’t something I personally struggle with. I have found it easier to drive an auto car as I can focus on the road a bit better when I don’t have to consider gears, stalling, hill starts etc. But I have seen others say the opposite and that gear changes helps them stay in the moment and not zone out or get bored and speed.

It’s tough and at times I have thought perhaps I am just not capable of this. But I think that’s the anxiety talking and if I didn’t truly believe I could do it I wouldn’t be putting myself through it. I think it’s very personal and some people with ADHD love driving. Presumably medication helps. I’m also interested to hear other people’s experiences so thank you for bringing this up and I hope it gets easier for you x

edited to say actually my answer should be nope as I still haven’t passed my test!

I can drive but I failed my first test due to rushing to finish it.

I hate having conversations when I’m driving as I struggle to focus on what I’m talking about as well as the road and can miss red lights etc. I’m ok when I’m on my own though.

I have been reading this thread for a long time now and soo many things resonate with me. The glaring one was about sitting and waiting for appointments etc. If I have an appointment for 5 pm I will be ready and waiting for hours before and not be able to do anything as I'm clock watching and for want of a better description mentally paralysed

I have dyslexia,( I can read very well but cannot write) dyscalculia and dysgraphia. ( dyslexia was not even known about then (im 63) let along the others) so school for me was an absolute no-no and I stopped going when I got to senior school and did cash in hand work. I was put in the dunce class even though my other skills were way above my peers. With my life skills if I had lived in the USA I would have had the offer of scholarships. I was good at all sports, drama, dance, cooking and other home economics, anything that was not acidemia I was really good at.

Driving I am very good at, did a crash course Monday to Wednesday (3 hours each day) Thursday day off, Friday one lesson before the test and passed. Had I done one lesson a week I would have proberbly not done very well, I need a routine and a pattern to follow, one hour a week would not allow me that.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was pushed into learning to drive as soon as I was 17 by my mum. It took me 11 months of having weekly 2 hour lessons to get to the stage where I was ready to take the test and I passed second time. It was really hard and exhausting at first but I got there in the end. It’s been over 10 years now and I’ve never had an accident and never got any points (touch wood!). I take driving really seriously as I know it only takes a second for an accident to happen especially with my kids in the car. I don’t find concentrating an issue usually, if anything I am so focussed on driving that I’m not paying attention to anything else! I’m not the easiest person to have a conversation with whilst driving lol.

With me it takes a while to learn a new skill but once I get it I get it.

I've just been diagnosed at 28, finally and started on medication.
I've not written on this thread before, I did read it a while ago while I was going through diagnosis but I thought I would share how my diagnosis went if thats ok :)

I originally spoke to my GP 2 years ago as I was struggling more than before, who told me there is no way to be diagnosed in my local area (in London). Which was true at the time, so it meant I was just left to my own devices and given depression meds which never worked so I was taken off of them.
I struggled working in lockdown, I was always at my best working in my office or anywhere but the house so the adjustment never happened.
This March I realised I was really close to losing my job because I couldn't concentrate for anything and that got me googling to try to figure something out.

I found out about the 'Right to choose' system in England. I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but if you're in England you have the right to choose different providers for certain things - including ADHD diagnosis. Alot of GPs fight this and some do say no, I've been people have to take it up with the NHS themselves to get it done. But basically you get a referal to a private psychiatrist and the NHS pay.

Psychiatry-UK is the big one and who I went with. They have a funding agreement already in place so are the easiest, ADHD360 are another good one the NHS will send you to potentially but its worth chatting to your own GP.

I got my GP referral in April, diagnosed in July and am now on medication. BUT I was rushed through to medication and had to prove why I'm struggling to do so. Most people will be waiting 5 months from diagnosis to begin sadly. They're currently booking for next March so the wait times are getting pretty long, if you get reffered now it'll take a year to get medication probably.

Sorry if that's long winded but it's certainly worth looking into if there is no pathway on the regular NHS in your area or the waitlist is anything above a year. There is a facebook group if you search for ADHD right to choose, and they were helpful with questions I had while convincing my GP!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.