Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How is this even possible within the game? Why can that happen? Absolute insanity that not even a virtual character is safe online... what the actual f...?
Maybe the owners or writers of the game, need to introduce a No means No element within the game to prevent this kind of thing happening again.
If they can code a game, then surely they can introduce something to stop rape happening within a game?

And dreadful as this must have been for this poor child, why on earth didnt they take the headset off, or switch off the game so that they didnt experience the rape so personally? The game is meant to be an imaginary world, not a real world, so you should be able to exit from an imaginary world in a way you sadly cannot exit a real world situation. Ive read awful thing in books, or watched awful things on TV, in the guise of horror films, or news reportage, but have closed the book or switched off the TV, or left the room.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this game, I hope the writers and owners of the game feel guilty, and that the child who was raped gets some kind of resolution. And that the awful people who committed the rape realise that this happened- and that it isnt funny or right.

Reactions: 7
Maybe the owners or writers of the game, need to introduce a No means No element within the game to prevent this kind of thing happening again.
If they can code a game, then surely they can introduce something to stop rape happening within a game?

And dreadful as this must have been for this poor child, why on earth didnt they take the headset off, or switch off the game so that they didnt experience the rape so personally? The game is meant to be an imaginary world, not a real world, so you should be able to exit from an imaginary world in a way you sadly cannot exit a real world situation. Ive read awful thing in books, or watched awful things on TV, in the guise of horror films, or news reportage, but have closed the book or switched off the TV, or left the room.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this game, I hope the writers and owners of the game feel guilty, and that the child who was raped gets some kind of resolution. And that the awful people who committed the rape realise that this happened- and that it isnt funny or right.
Although she wasn't physically assaulted I would imagine mentally the emotional impact of what happened created the flight/fight/freeze/fawn response. Its easy to say why didn't she leave but it's not always as easy as that. I hope the focus here isn't going to switch to the girl and her behaviour.

Reactions: 19

I get your point but like @Eureka said the child may have froze. They might not have even realised what was happening, tried to stop it or didn't realise it was possible in the game. And if its a game where progress it saved, it might have been that the player couldn't exit while their avatar was completing an action, for lack of a better term.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

What fresh hell is this?!
This actually made me feel sick. It seems that (some) men will use any means possible to get their perverted sexual kicks. The metaverse provides ample opportunity for perves and paedos to exercise their inclinations whilst protesting that ‘nothing physically happened’. Anyone remember when paedos were infiltrating Roblox games and targeting very young children? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60314572.amp

Reactions: 9
Is it a depressing read if you are Hag-age?
Not quite "hag age" myself but I have read it and it is very heavy on the rhetoric of "middle aged women are constantly dismissed, ignored, insulted, and treated poorly and are menopausal and losing our looks. Instead we should embrace that we're HAGS and CRONES and WISE WOMEN and age = power!" Which is not for everyone, if you are that kind of person though you will likely enjoy the book a lot

Reactions: 8
I'd actually never considered how the use of the word date somehow softens the intentions and offense.

Gives off the impression that there is some kind of romance, mutual understanding or consent.

But if someone meets another person armed with drugs to incapacitate them, there can never be any good intentions behind that.
It’s frightening how one word can alter the perception. As you say, the word “date” implies some kind of complicity in the arrangement. Drop the word “date” and it immediately becomes what it is, a rape drug. For the Home Secretary to make the kind of “joke” that you would expect from the likes of Jimmy Carr is appalling, especially when the butt of his joke was his own wife. Why is this man still in a job. It has come to light that, on the same day, his own Department issued a statement about how this needs to be taken more seriously.

Reactions: 12
It’s frightening how one word can alter the perception. As you say, the word “date” implies some kind of complicity in the arrangement. Drop the word “date” and it immediately becomes what it is, a rape drug. For the Home Secretary to make the kind of “joke” that you would expect from the likes of Jimmy Carr is appalling, especially when the butt of his joke was his own wife. Why is this man still in a job. It has come to light that, on the same day, his own Department issued a statement about how this needs to be taken more seriously.
If a woman consents to a date then anything goes from then on according to some men.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
If a woman consents to a date then anything goes from then on according to some men.
I know you're right but it's so infuriating. Even accepting a drink is tantamount, to some men, as an invitation to get your leg over. It may not be all men but there are plenty of them who are conditioned to think like this. If the home secretary can say tit like that, then any one can 😡

• Angry
Is it a depressing read if you are Hag-age?
It kind of confirms that I wasn’t imagining the struggle when you reach mid life as a woman. I have zero fucks to give about not being seen by men, I was hassled a lot and it made me uncomfortable and it was restricting. Reaching mid life is freeing in that regard. But I feel like in a work setting you are written off. Not even written off. But just invisible, you are not even visible enough to be written off. And all the Karen tropes etc, which are just shut the duck up middle aged woman, be silent, you are not important. In some ways I feel stronger than I ever was. I am resilient, can see bullshit a mile off, don’t need validation from anyone. I am solvent. I am not needy for attention. I am a small woman but I walk tall. But I am so fucked off with the way society tries to put us on a shelf. You were an attractive young woman. You gave birth (except I chose not to). You are now elderly, on the shelf you go. (Younger women also don’t like mid life women. They are running scared from their future selves.) I don’t blame younger women. But why should some mediocre bloke decide my relevancy? duck that.

I recommend the book, especially if it’s a 99p bargain.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I realise this isn’t a big deal compared to some of the stories here but Joey Barton made some comments recently about how women have no place in football. I follow women’s football so my social media algorithm keeps showing me responses by Emma Hayes or Alex Scott and all the comments by men stating ’Joey is right haha’ 🙄 The patriarchy is alive and well.
I was pleased to see this response a couple of hours ago from ITV Sport. Comments (mainly men) aren’t great though.

Reactions: 13
It kind of confirms that I wasn’t imagining the struggle when you reach mid life as a woman. I have zero fucks to give about not being seen by men, I was hassled a lot and it made me uncomfortable and it was restricting. Reaching mid life is freeing in that regard. But I feel like in a work setting you are written off. Not even written off. But just invisible, you are not even visible enough to be written off. And all the Karen tropes etc, which are just shut the duck up middle aged woman, be silent, you are not important. In some ways I feel stronger than I ever was. I am resilient, can see bullshit a mile off, don’t need validation from anyone. I am solvent. I am not needy for attention. I am a small woman but I walk tall. But I am so fucked off with the way society tries to put us on a shelf. You were an attractive young woman. You gave birth (except I chose not to). You are now elderly, on the shelf you go. (Younger women also don’t like mid life women. They are running scared from their future selves.) I don’t blame younger women. But why should some mediocre bloke decide my relevancy? duck that.

It can't be a coincidence that the demographic which gives the most to society (mid life women) is told to shut up and put up.

Mid life women run the world - caring for elderly relatives and children so the state doesn't have to, most voluntary groups (charities and stuff like guides/brownies) is run by mid life women and doing vital jobs like nurses and teachers.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I was pleased to see this response a couple of hours ago from ITV Sport. Comments (mainly men) aren’t great though.
Considering Joey Barton's Brother is a racist killer, and Joey himself called the murder a 'scrap', I wish no one would pay heed to him and his stupid remarks! Obviously comes from a dodgy background with dangerous views.

Reactions: 15
I got called a Karen by a member of the public who went on to behave in a threatening and abusive manner towards me while I was doing my job. The whole thing was reported to the police and after months of arguing with the Met about whether or not it should be recorded as a crime, the thing they kept coming back to was the Karen jibe. I had to keep explaining that it‘s a misogynistic insult but they just seem baffled by it.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 26

A younger (slightly) industry colleague who was very stereotypcially woke, fond of calling others TERFS and Karens and in favour of anyone public-facing among us who was white and over 40 being replaced by someone more "diverse", has come up against this brick wall and has abandoned the field. Part of her problem is that she is/was very high-conflict, a compulsive liar and unreliable, but she's now far too close to 40 for the visible, prestigious jobs she feels she is entitled to. I sort of find it funny because she's a pain, but it really is true and scarily, it even applies to women who are great to work with and good at their jobs. Diversity schemes are a sly way of replacing older women with younger, prettier, perkier people.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Not age-related but I applied for a job recently and along with the job description was shown the company's policies on various issues (diversity, environment, etc.) including their rules on employee social media use which was phrased in such a way as to imply they assumed female staff might have OnlyFans and would be monitoring for this! I didn't like that at all

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I don't know how to do links of mobile. I just saw a story in my local paper about a case that tool place in Teesside Court this week.

Some dirty disgusting individual tried to rape a women at 8am. This was on a public street in summer. She was put jogging and he knocked her down and pulled her shorts off her. This took place in daylight and in a residential area. Luckily neighbours saw and chased him off, entire thing on CCTV as well.

It creeps me out thinking about it. I enjoy going for walks around my local area. Things like this put me off wanting to do something I really enjoy, as apparently no time of day or place can ever be safe.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
I don't know how to do links of mobile. I just saw a story in my local paper about a case that tool place in Teesside Court this week.

Some dirty disgusting individual tried to rape a women at 8am. This was on a public street in summer. She was put jogging and he knocked her down and pulled her shorts off her. This took place in daylight and in a residential area. Luckily neighbours saw and chased him off, entire thing on CCTV as well.

It creeps me out thinking about it. I enjoy going for walks around my local area. Things like this put me off wanting to do something I really enjoy, as apparently no time of day or place can ever be safe.
I know one of her family members, I remember when this happened and everyone was just so full of disbelief, you hear about it so much but it’s terrifying when it’s close to home.

• Sad
  • Sick
A younger (slightly) industry colleague who was very stereotypcially woke, fond of calling others TERFS and Karens and in favour of anyone public-facing among us who was white and over 40 being replaced by someone more "diverse", has come up against this brick wall and has abandoned the field. Part of her problem is that she is/was very high-conflict, a compulsive liar and unreliable, but she's now far too close to 40 for the visible, prestigious jobs she feels she is entitled to. I sort of find it funny because she's a pain, but it really is true and scarily, it even applies to women who are great to work with and good at their jobs. Diversity schemes are a sly way of replacing older women with younger, prettier, perkier people.
She wasn’t even 40 and she was already considered too old for certain jobs?? Wow! I’ve never come across that 😟

Reactions: 5