Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My work has moved office, from a large buisness estate to an office above some shops in a town centre. We work a 4 week rota, alternating between early and late. One day in office each week.

Manager doesn't seem to understand why female staff are scared to work late shifts in office. Instead of leaving and immediately being in a secure car park, we now have a ten minute walk through a rough area to a dark multi story car park.

There are drug addicts, homeless people and gangs of kids roaming the streets who often shout at us. I feel really vulnerable coming out when it is dark, and I am carrying what is very obviously a laptop bag.

Manager has given people option to drive home on lunch and work back half of shift at home . A few of the girls can't drive so can't get home in lunch. They have to stay unless can get a lift. This sometime means they are left in office alone between 5 and 8. When they have complaints to managers about being worried about being attacked, got told it is their fault they can't drive so just deal with it.

I stayed back once with someone working same shift as me. We walked to car park together and I waited whilst her boyfriend came to pick her up. We were shouted at and harassed by youths. When I told my manager he said it was my fault for staying back. If I have went home I would not have had abuse shouted at me.

All my managers are men btw. Complained as high up as I could about new office. Begged them to allow people to work early shifts in office and latest at home to avoid this. They wouldn't budge. They just don't get it and think we are trying to avoid working.
My employer pays for taxis home at certain times but, of course, most taxi drivers are men.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
In Doncaster a woman was gang raped at a corner shop. She went in at 1am before it closed (is that a common closing time? All places I’ve lived have them close at 11pm latest) and they locked the door, dragged her upstairs and raped her one after the other.
They got released on bail.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
Texas woman denied a termination after discovering that her baby had Trisomy 18. She's had to travel out of state after judges kept dragging her case back to court. Women in Texas are just considered to be baby incubators, their lives and their futures simply don't matter

• Angry
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
In Doncaster a woman was gang raped at a corner shop. She went in at 1am before it closed (is that a common closing time? All places I’ve lived have them close at 11pm latest) and they locked the door, dragged her upstairs and raped her one after the other.
They got released on bail.
I was reading about this earlier. Absolutely shocking. I don’t get why men are released on bail in these cases.

• Angry
Reactions: 10
I think we’re experiencing some really dark times for females at the moment. Day after day there’s reports of men doing heinous things involving women and girls and they seem to get barely a slap on the wrist if caught. This guy had 436 child abuse images and videos on his phone and only received a suspended sentence:

His defence lawyer said that “the hope for this family is that they can be reunited under one roof, that is the hope from Mr Thomas and his wife”. Why? He has two young teens. If I was the wife I wouldn’t want him anywhere near me or my children again.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
I realise this isn’t a big deal compared to some of the stories here but Joey Barton made some comments recently about how women have no place in football. I follow women’s football so my social media algorithm keeps showing me responses by Emma Hayes or Alex Scott and all the comments by men stating ’Joey is right haha’ 🙄 The patriarchy is alive and well.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I may have just ranted to my husband about the patriarchy causing women’s mental load to become even greater because of bloody Christmas.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I may have just ranted to my husband about the patriarchy causing women’s mental load to become even greater because of bloody Christmas.
You know you don't have to put yourself through it. And ask yourself where the pressure comes from because in my experience its not men its other women. There is no way I'd be sucked into elf on the shelf or give an Xmas eve box.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You know you don't have to put yourself through it. And ask yourself where the pressure comes from because in my experience its not men its other women. There is no way I'd be sucked into elf on the shelf or give an Xmas eve box.
Our kids are all grown up so I don't have the Insta pressures of matching pyjamas and mountains of presents under a tree decorated with feathers and giant baubles, thank goodness. But just doing the mental gymnastics of trying to work out when is the best time to do the Christmas food shop, of remembering who will get offended if they don't receive a Christmas card, of trying to arrange the endless visits to relatives for Christmas get-togethers, the menus, the present wrapping, the cleaning, trying to deal with work when everyone is off sick during the cold and flu season, grandchildren, elderly relatives...it just goes on and on. My husband is great, but he definitely isn't the one with the extra workload at Christmas.

• Heart
I have two autistic kids and over the years have as a result cut so much tit out so I do get your point - and there is so much external pressure. My main rant currently is the school and all the ‘extra fun’ activities aka more things to lead to meltdowns I’m having to deal with.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I realise this isn’t a big deal compared to some of the stories here but Joey Barton made some comments recently about how women have no place in football. I follow women’s football so my social media algorithm keeps showing me responses by Emma Hayes or Alex Scott and all the comments by men stating ’Joey is right haha’ 🙄 The patriarchy is alive and well.
It is a big deal because when people like him spout this misogynistic bullshit, thousands of inadequate knuckle draggers take it as an affirmation of their views and it just perpetuates.

• Angry
Reactions: 24
My work has moved office, from a large buisness estate to an office above some shops in a town centre. We work a 4 week rota, alternating between early and late. One day in office each week.

Manager doesn't seem to understand why female staff are scared to work late shifts in office. Instead of leaving and immediately being in a secure car park, we now have a ten minute walk through a rough area to a dark multi story car park.

There are drug addicts, homeless people and gangs of kids roaming the streets who often shout at us. I feel really vulnerable coming out when it is dark, and I am carrying what is very obviously a laptop bag.

Manager has given people option to drive home on lunch and work back half of shift at home . A few of the girls can't drive so can't get home in lunch. They have to stay unless can get a lift. This sometime means they are left in office alone between 5 and 8. When they have complaints to managers about being worried about being attacked, got told it is their fault they can't drive so just deal with it.

I stayed back once with someone working same shift as me. We walked to car park together and I waited whilst her boyfriend came to pick her up. We were shouted at and harassed by youths. When I told my manager he said it was my fault for staying back. If I have went home I would not have had abuse shouted at me.

All my managers are men btw. Complained as high up as I could about new office. Begged them to allow people to work early shifts in office and latest at home to avoid this. They wouldn't budge. They just don't get it and think we are trying to avoid working.

This is copied from an article in The Times today. I don’t know if it is any use. Have you contacted ACAS?

The journalist is Jonathon Ames who is their legal editor.

A woman who worked late night shifts at a takeaway shop has successfully sued for discrimination after her male boss ignored her fears over walking home alone.

Fathimath Athif was awarded more than £15,000 even though she worked only four shifts at Spice E17, an unlicensed takeaway restaurant in east London.

Athif told an employment tribunal that she should have been allowed to finish her shift at 11pm as agreed because she felt “unsafe” on the streets.

Representing herself at the hearing, Athif produced statistics that showed that women were more scared than men of being out and alone in the dark. A judge found that owing to the “disparate” impact to the sexes of being made to work late, Athif had been put at a “disadvantage” and discriminated against by being required to work beyond her agreed hours.

The employee — who also claimed to have been attacked by her boss after she complained about her hours — has now won more than £15,000 in compensation.

The hearing in east London was told the woman began work as a kitchen porter for the business in Walthamstow in 2021. She and the takeaway boss, Mohamed Lallmohamud, had previously been in an relationship, the hearing was told.

It was agreed that Athif would work between 5pm and 11pm, with her job including some food preparation, washing up and sweeping the floor.

In its report, the tribunal noted that at the end of her first shift, Athif told Lallmohamud that she would have to walk to the bus stop and that the roads near her house were quiet after midnight.

“She told him that she felt that it was unsafe for her as a woman on her own,” said the tribunal in its judgment, adding that Athif “had not been physically assaulted by people on the street, but she told him that it was common for drunk men or drug users on the street to harass her with sexual comments, which made her feel unsafe”.

The tribunal was told that while the agreement had been that Athif would end her shifts at 11pm, the takeaway would not normally close until at least 11.20pm. It noted that on one occasion, Athif told Lallmohamud that she needed to leave on time and he replied that she could not do so before completing her tasks.

An argument ensued and Lallmohamud was said to have shouted: “Get the hell out of my shop.” Athif said that as she went to leave, the boss grabbed her by the neck and held her against a wall, demanding to know if she was going to come back to work.

The tribunal ruled that Athif had been treated in a “hostile, intimidatory and violent manner”. It added that she felt “intimidated, harassed and degraded” by her treatment as the tribunal awarded her a total of £16,465.54 in damages including £10,000 for injury to feelings.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
So tired of the aggression, the micro aggressions, the harassment and misogyny that women face. It’s unrelenting and unfair.

Reactions: 14
This is copied from an article in The Times today. I don’t know if it is any use. Have you contacted ACAS?

The journalist is Jonathon Ames who is their legal editor.

A woman who worked late night shifts at a takeaway shop has successfully sued for discrimination after her male boss ignored her fears over walking home alone.

Fathimath Athif was awarded more than £15,000 even though she worked only four shifts at Spice E17, an unlicensed takeaway restaurant in east London.

Athif told an employment tribunal that she should have been allowed to finish her shift at 11pm as agreed because she felt “unsafe” on the streets.

Representing herself at the hearing, Athif produced statistics that showed that women were more scared than men of being out and alone in the dark. A judge found that owing to the “disparate” impact to the sexes of being made to work late, Athif had been put at a “disadvantage” and discriminated against by being required to work beyond her agreed hours.

The employee — who also claimed to have been attacked by her boss after she complained about her hours — has now won more than £15,000 in compensation.

The hearing in east London was told the woman began work as a kitchen porter for the business in Walthamstow in 2021. She and the takeaway boss, Mohamed Lallmohamud, had previously been in an relationship, the hearing was told.

It was agreed that Athif would work between 5pm and 11pm, with her job including some food preparation, washing up and sweeping the floor.

In its report, the tribunal noted that at the end of her first shift, Athif told Lallmohamud that she would have to walk to the bus stop and that the roads near her house were quiet after midnight.

“She told him that she felt that it was unsafe for her as a woman on her own,” said the tribunal in its judgment, adding that Athif “had not been physically assaulted by people on the street, but she told him that it was common for drunk men or drug users on the street to harass her with sexual comments, which made her feel unsafe”.

The tribunal was told that while the agreement had been that Athif would end her shifts at 11pm, the takeaway would not normally close until at least 11.20pm. It noted that on one occasion, Athif told Lallmohamud that she needed to leave on time and he replied that she could not do so before completing her tasks.

An argument ensued and Lallmohamud was said to have shouted: “Get the hell out of my shop.” Athif said that as she went to leave, the boss grabbed her by the neck and held her against a wall, demanding to know if she was going to come back to work.

The tribunal ruled that Athif had been treated in a “hostile, intimidatory and violent manner”. It added that she felt “intimidated, harassed and degraded” by her treatment as the tribunal awarded her a total of £16,465.54 in damages including £10,000 for injury to feelings.
That is interesting. I will bring it up again at work.

Not really an injustice against women, but ....

Everyone now now hates new office. The disabled toilet keeps blocking and flooding, the heating keeps breaking and blowing cold air. When the heating is working it switches off at 3pm as the controls are set for the store below us which closes at 3pm. The door alarm is broken and it keeps randomly making a high pitch beeping sound. Also we gave been warned not to use the lift as it got stuck last week. Someone was trapped inside for an hour awaiting rescue. The email about the lift mentioned the company that services the lift has a four hour SLA, so it could have been a lot worse.

• Sad
  • Wow
I was going to post this in the ADHD thread but ironically I can't find it at the mo, so here it is. Hopefully more work will be done re: peri-/menopause, seeing as that's when ADHD traits going haywire seem to result in increased diagnosis.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am honestly starting to become one of those lesbians that dislikes men.

From the men opposite my work who do the charity fundraising thing and greet women with things like “you alright darling?” And “give us a smile Princess” and won’t take no for an answer. To the managers at work who make little sexist comments because they’re soooo hilarious.

And not to forget the men on Ethical non Monogamy Facebook groups who say things like “stop discriminating against men!” And “you just haven’t had the right dick” or “oh it makes me SO SAD that you’re a lesbian”

And their fellow men? Crickets.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 16