Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Wow this increase in prosecutions for abortions is worrying. The article about is about the RCOG telling medics not to report women to the police for late abortions, as there's been a rise.

There must be alot of misogyny amongst the medical staff making the reports, the police for pursuing the investigations and then the CPS for going ahead with prosecutions.

From the article:

In 2022, the number of suspected illegal abortions logged with police forces in England and Wales rose to 29, from 16 in 2018.

Abortions are legal in England if they are performed by a registered medical practitioner and take place within the first 24 weeks of pregnancy. Otherwise, it is illegal to deliberately end a pregnancy and, under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act, it carries a maximum punishment of life imprisonment.

Last year, six women were prosecuted in England on suspicion of breaking abortion law, according to the RCOG, compared with just three in the previous 20 years. It is believed their information may have been handed to police by medical staff.

Dr Lord said many women who had been investigated had in fact had late miscarriages, or had been later in their pregnancy than they had realised when they had had terminations.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
This is an interesting survey.
I actually thought that women were in general healthier than men, with more boys dying in childhood than girls, and that women tend to live longer lives than men!

If women have more time off during their working lives, that is an interesting statistic, but maybe its a bit more complicated than just a simple health survey! Periods, endo, pregnancy, child care, stress from trying to do it all....... maybe work should be more accommodating and inclusive?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
There's so much bad news out there but this really stopped me in my tracks. I hope this isnt true.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
Very moving story of a woman who was not believed when she kept attending the doctor to say something was wrong. https://www.thecut.com/2018/09/what-if-the-doctors-had-listened-to-our-sister-becky.html
How devastating is this story.

It’s also something I have experienced. Not to the levels of cancer (thankfully) but to the levels of being labelled anxious and brushed off concerns. The vindication you feel when you get a diagnosis just instantly relaxes you. I was sick of hearing the “oh we don’t usually see this in people you age” and as much as I have time for the NHS its biggest problem is the one size fits all. It needs throwing out of the window and people who are entering the healthcare profession need to actually care and listen to the patients concerns. The worst is when it’s confirmed near enough by a friend who is a nurse saying “you’ve probably got stuff like ‘anxious patient’ in your notes too all because you have to repeatedly go back because no one too you seriously the first time.”

My favourite recent encounter was with a female doctor who didn’t like when I was challenging her about how my 6 monthly blood tests for my iron are constantly showing a drop in numbers and she was like “my dear I am a doctor, when you are a doctor…” Firstly, duck off. Secondly, it’s here in black and white that my retention of iron is an issue so what are you going to do about it? She couldn’t answer me and that’s an issue - where is the care plan? The disregard and lack of fucks (sorry I don’t feel very eloquent) is quite frankly appalling when you’re supposed to CARE and more importantly the effects of iron issues are just horrible to read about.

So awful as women that we are just tossed aside and essentially told to pipe down when we raise concern or challenge. Even worse when it’s fellow women not hearing out their counterparts.

Apologies, I’ve gone on a tangent here.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Medical Misogyny is a real and dangerous thing. Symptoms are minimised, pain is dismissed and so often we’re fobbed off with “it’s anxiety/ IBS/ central sensitisation” delete as appropriate. Have we talked about the gender pain gap on here? I only realised how bad my care for stage 4 endometriosis was when my husband got a Crohn’s diagnosis within five months of his first GP appointment. No “IBS”for him!

There’s an amazing woman on Instagram called Tilly Rose who has been struggling with crazy symptoms for years, and fobbed off despite them being severe and visible. She finally had to go to Germany for a diagnosis.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Medical Misogyny is a real and dangerous thing. Symptoms are minimised, pain is dismissed and so often we’re fobbed off with “it’s anxiety/ IBS/ central sensitisation” delete as appropriate. Have we talked about the gender pain gap on here? I only realised how bad my care for stage 4 endometriosis was when my husband got a Crohn’s diagnosis within five months of his first GP appointment. No “IBS”for him!

There’s an amazing woman on Instagram called Tilly Rose who has been struggling with crazy symptoms for years, and fobbed off despite them being severe and visible. She finally had to go to Germany for a diagnosis.
My friend's husband went to the GP for mild but re-occuring headaches.... GP immediately ordered various tests, in the end it was unexplained (and went away within a few weeks).

A year later she developed a severe headache which had her bed-bound with blurry vision...went to the same GP and he said it'll be stress/hormones and to take paracetamol. It was actually the first sign of a blood clot in her brain! Eventually she went to A&E and luckily survived and is fine now.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Invisible Women is a really good book about the bias towards men. It's actually quite shocking how much of the world is designed around the needs of men.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
Unwell women by Elinor Cleghorn is a good if rage inducing read about how we got where we are

• Heart
Reactions: 7
She wasn’t even 40 and she was already considered too old for certain jobs?? Wow! I’ve never come across that 😟
The media world is like that. It's never anything official as that would be illegal, but there's a lot of "diversity drives" that only seem to unearth young, perky, pretty people who aren't necessarily good at their jobs.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
The media world is like that. It's never anything official as that would be illegal, but there's a lot of "diversity drives" that only seem to unearth young, perky, pretty people who aren't necessarily good at their jobs.
So ridiculous, especially when 40s is still young. I know lots of women in their 40s who are younger-looking and perkier than many in their 20s and 30s (I include myself in that as a very settled 34 year old 😂).

Reactions: 6
So ridiculous, especially when 40s is still young. I know lots of women in their 40s who are younger-looking and perkier than many in their 20s and 30s (I include myself in that as a very settled 34 year old 😂).
We know this, and most people I work with understand this too, but we get accused of jealousy, being old-fashioned dinosaurs harbouring grudges, or of being prejudiced against whatever diverse characteristic the newcomers have.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I reckon there’s still a lot of discrimination against women of childbearing age because we might go on maternity leave, and then ageism once we pass it. The preferred hiring age for women is very young, and they’re they exploited with low pay. We can’t win really :(

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I've done admin, on and off, for over 20 years and they still expect me to accept office junior money. Uh, how about no? 😒

• Angry
Reactions: 6
The chemical attack in Clapham. The perpetrator came to the UK in the back of a truck in 2016. Committed a sex crime, was convicted and then granted asylum? Why? If he hadn’t been granted asylum those people (women) would not be hurt. Why on Earth are sex attackers being granted asylum. Those who work in the asylum system say just because someone has been convicted here, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be in danger if sent back to home country. So? Who cares. If you commit a crime, particularly a crime he perpetrated, who cares what happens to him. And now he is on the loose after committing another heinous crime.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
He was granted asylum because he claimed to have converted to Christianity which would have made it unsafe for him to go back to a Muslim country. :rolleyes:

• Angry
Reactions: 10
What was his punishment for the sex attack - I haven't seen it reported. I think that sums up how seriously sexual assault against women is taken.

• Angry
Reactions: 12
The chemical attack in Clapham. The perpetrator came to the UK in the back of a truck in 2016. Committed a sex crime, was convicted and then granted asylum? Why? If he hadn’t been granted asylum those people (women) would not be hurt. Why on Earth are sex attackers being granted asylum. Those who work in the asylum system say just because someone has been convicted here, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be in danger if sent back to home country. So? Who cares. If you commit a crime, particularly a crime he perpetrated, who cares what happens to him. And now he is on the loose after committing another heinous crime.
It’s bullshit isn’t it.Why the duck should we have to put up with a man who commits sex crimes? Why does his hypothetical safety trump the INNOCENT victims actual safety?

Also, sex attacks aren’t very Christian (well….let’s not go there, you know what I mean) are they? It should just be an immediate refusal. Sexual or violent crime - found guilty? Immediate rejection of application. If they can’t control their violence when they have a decision like asylum hanging over them, they are hardly likely to rein it in when safely granted citizenship, are they?

• Heart
Reactions: 20