Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We know this, and most people I work with understand this too, but we get accused of jealousy, being old-fashioned dinosaurs harbouring grudges, or of being prejudiced against whatever diverse characteristic the newcomers have.
That’s so wrong and shocking. I’m glad this isn’t a thing in my industry/workplace where women in their 50s are really valued for their experience, but very sorry that it happens elsewhere. 🙁

Reactions: 5
Police failed to investigate officer abuse complaints, say women https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68242197

WTAF? It’s like a parody. It’s horrifying and also frightening.

- Police offers known to have DV complaints made against them are promoted to leadership roles investigating violence towards women and children.

- When they are investigated sometimes it is done by policemen who know them.

- Even a complaint made by a female officer towards her partner (also a police officer) was dismissed.

I used to the think our police were ok. Not anymore. I think the Sarah Everard case was the start of people realising the rot that has spread throughout every police force in this country. Given the sheer number of complaints which are active (and overlooked it seems), I cannot see how this will change. It’s too embedded.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Police failed to investigate officer abuse complaints, say women https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68242197

WTAF? It’s like a parody. It’s horrifying and also frightening.

- Police offers known to have DV complaints made against them are promoted to leadership roles investigating violence towards women and children.

- When they are investigated sometimes it is done by policemen who know them.

- Even a complaint made by a female officer towards her partner (also a police officer) was dismissed.

I used to the think our police were ok. Not anymore. I think the Sarah Everard case was the start of people realising the rot that has spread throughout every police force in this country. Given the sheer number of complaints which are active (and overlooked it seems), I cannot see how this will change. It’s too embedded.
Institutionalised misogyny

• Angry
Reactions: 15
I see so many of these random blokes giving their views on women and dating etc and they are always extreme

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
I see so many of these random blokes giving their views on women and dating etc and they are always extreme
Wtaf?! Pick her up and throw her into a wall?! where's the red flag guy when you need him, omg.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
A bit frivolous I know, but I've been on the Red Carpet thread and the double standards for men and women on those occasions are massive. Emma Stone, who is talented and beautiful, was in a weird-looking dress that showed her knickers and dug into her armpits to collect her Best Actress Bafta. Plus heels, lots of makeup, extensively styled hair and jewellery that may not have been hers, so she probably couldn't relax wearing it. Her opposite number Cillian Murphy got away with a loose-fitting suit and a silk shirt. Comfortable shoes, a watch and a tidier version of his usual hairstyle.
I know Emma Stone could have worn something more relaxed, but she probably has commercial agreements with fashion houses, and the criticism she'd have got wouldn't have been worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
This isn’t the biggest injustice women face but, I feel like it happens quite often that women are sold something purported to be good for us or our appearance that then turns out to be not even just useless but actively detrimental or harmful in some way. And then oftentimes that thing continues to be sold?!

I know consumers of both sexes experience this especially with non-cosmetics, but because of the volume of crap we’re sold, I feel like it happens at a higher rate to us.

A few main examples I can think of now are lash serums that actually increase the growth of your lashes (contain prostaglandin) causing orbital fat loss; at-home gel nail kits risking developing an acrylate allergy; filler not actually ever really “dissolving” on its own and just dissipating through the skin; BBLs carrying a high risk of necrosis.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Not an injustice but a need to share.
I moved this past week, no partner. My removal guy called me at 9pm this week, uninvited and made me feel uncomfortable.
I had a fridge freezer delivered and the guy has sent a couple of messages that are almost crossing a line.
Both knew I was on my own and feel it’s their right, or something.
I know it’s not much, but it has got to me.

• Angry
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
I moved this past week, no partner. My removal guy called me at 9pm this week, uninvited and made me feel uncomfortable.
I had a fridge freezer delivered and the guy has sent a couple of messages that are almost crossing a line.
That's totally out of line. If they know where you live and that you were alone, I would definitely let their employers know, I doubt they would send messages to a 6ft shithouse called Trev

• Angry
Reactions: 25
Report both of them to the companies

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This isn’t the biggest injustice women face but, I feel like it happens quite often that women are sold something purported to be good for us or our appearance that then turns out to be not even just useless but actively detrimental or harmful in some way. And then oftentimes that thing continues to be sold?!

I know consumers of both sexes experience this especially with non-cosmetics, but because of the volume of crap we’re sold, I feel like it happens at a higher rate to us.

A few main examples I can think of now are lash serums that actually increase the growth of your lashes (contain prostaglandin) causing orbital fat loss; at-home gel nail kits risking developing an acrylate allergy; filler not actually ever really “dissolving” on its own and just dissipating through the skin; BBLs carrying a high risk of necrosis.
I keep hearing stories about women who have died due to complications from BBLs. Yet it's always framed as a choice that women should be allowed to make.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
The issues with vaginal/pelvic mesh springs to mind too. How long did it take for women to be actually listened to there?

• Angry
Reactions: 23
The arrogance of these men! I'm not sure what to do as they know where you live so you may not want to text back duck OFF YOU CRETIN.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
The issues with vaginal/pelvic mesh springs to mind too. How long did it take for women to be actually listened to there?
And all the Irish women who had their pelvis broken as an alternative to a c-section so they could carry on pumping out babies like the good catholic mothers they were told to be.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 23

New Samaritans ad, woman as emotional support human, as always.

I empathise with anyone experiencing a mental health crisis, but I sure as hell will not ignore my survival instincts and approach a lone man behaving oddly on a train platform, alone.

Of course, the person behind this ad was a man. His buddy gave him props on Twitter/X after the negative feedback.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

New Samaritans ad, woman as emotional support human, as always.

I empathise with anyone experiencing a mental health crisis, but I sure as hell will not ignore my survival instincts and approach a lone man behaving oddly on a train platform, alone.

Of course, the person behind this ad was a man. His buddy gave him props on Twitter/X after the negative feedback.
Why is there a man in a tabard doing hee haw in this situation? You know, someone with the actual authority to ask the man to take a step back, and possibly with back up on a walkie talkie. Maybe even received training as part of his job to handle situations like this?

Reactions: 16
And that female ceo? All she used to do was yank up the ladder so no other women could succeed there unless they also were a part of the boys club.
Just catching up with this great forum. As an older woman, I'm so glad to find you all. Thank you for your courage in speaking about difficult things.
Having lived through the 60s and on, my conclusion is that there never was any such thing as 'equality', and there still isn't.

That said, I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and add an observation about women staff and 'the boys club'.

I'm on a patients' forum that's 90%+ women. We got talking about doctors and how they treat women. Many said that women doctors are mostly as bad as male doctors.

In a rare flash of insight, I chipped in that women doctors are 'honorary men' and that's how they have to be in order to be accepted into the medical fraternity.

The response was huge! Everyone agreed - sort of they're not like women and they're not on our side.

In the UK, on average one (1) male doctor a week is struck off for sexually assaulting women. They keep that quiet, don't they? Where are the women doctors protecting their female patients and speaking up against the way male doctors treat women?

Why is it ok that that in a nationwide study (involving 100K women), 84% of women reported that they've experienced dismissive, patronising, bad treatment, rudeness and abuse from doctors, often for months and years?
(Please note that this was a government survey published in 2022 and it's on the UK.Gov website.)

Why is it ok that women are STILL treated as 2nd class citizens in so many ways....?
---
He doesn’t think it’s acceptable, he just knows he can do it and likely get away with it.
If I may say, that's exactly how and why all abuse is perpetrated.
People know they can get away with it.
Whatever the abuse, they know it's wrong and they do it anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26