Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I recall Eamonn Holmes saying to a sexually abused victim on This Morning program....

" But why didn't you get a taxi home?'

Yes, always Eamonn, the blame is placed with the women 🙄

How about educating Men not to abuse and attack women!!!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Yes, I completely agree that they’re important for a variety of reasons and I’m sorry if my post sounded dismissive, it really wasn’t meant that way. I was just trying to point out that the assumption that crime, particularly sex crime, would increase if street lights were off between 1am and 5am, wasn’t necessarily correct based on crime data.

I’m possibly not going to phrase this quite how I think about it but I hate seeing women say they’re afraid to walk alone at night *just* because it’s dark, as though bad things only happen when it’s dark. When I was sexually assaulted by a stranger on a street, it was broad daylight. When I was raped, I was at home. When I was followed by a creep, it was in central London. I appreciate that my experiences are not necessarily representative of all women. It makes me sad that so many women limit their lives by being afraid of the dark.

Adjacent to this, my job often involves me being alone in a forest at night. I cannot count the number of women whose first question to me is ‘aren’t you scared that some psycho will get you’. The answer is no, it’s vanishingly rare for psychos to hang out in forests at night. 😀
Sorry to hear that happened, that's awful x

I didn’t think you were dismissive and it can be helpful/comforting to hear the stats but I think it boils down to the unfortunate truth we're all probably aware of: sometimes there's really only so much we can do to "protect" ourselves and there's no right or wrong way of doing that.

What is preventative in one scenario is meaningless in another. The issue is the deviants out there and until there's a massive societal shift then women will look for ways to feel safer, whether it's actually effective or not. But for now, the unfair attitude is that onus is on us to "avoid" harm.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sorry to hear that happened, that's awful x

I didn’t think you were dismissive and it can be helpful/comforting to hear the stats but I think it boils down to the unfortunate truth we're all probably aware of: sometimes there's really only so much we can do to "protect" ourselves and there's no right or wrong way of doing that.

What is preventative in one scenario is meaningless in another. The issue is the deviants out there and until there's a massive societal shift then women will look for ways to feel safer, whether it's actually effective or not. But for now, the unfair attitude is that onus is on us to "avoid" harm.
Always has been, always will.
Not sure anyone read the horrific article on the BBC about Hamas raping Women but it's been that way since Man moved from 4 legs to 2.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I actually think I'm done with men. I'm happily married to a man but that's it for me. If I ever end up single I'm dating a woman. There's just too much to risk with men.
Ha! I'm single and I feel the same way!
The only true good men in my life:
My late Dad
My late brother
My son

Sadly I've never found a man other than these 3 that I could trust.
Every other man in my life has let me down and disappointed me!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My work has moved office, from a large buisness estate to an office above some shops in a town centre. We work a 4 week rota, alternating between early and late. One day in office each week.

Manager doesn't seem to understand why female staff are scared to work late shifts in office. Instead of leaving and immediately being in a secure car park, we now have a ten minute walk through a rough area to a dark multi story car park.

There are drug addicts, homeless people and gangs of kids roaming the streets who often shout at us. I feel really vulnerable coming out when it is dark, and I am carrying what is very obviously a laptop bag.

Manager has given people option to drive home on lunch and work back half of shift at home . A few of the girls can't drive so can't get home in lunch. They have to stay unless can get a lift. This sometime means they are left in office alone between 5 and 8. When they have complaints to managers about being worried about being attacked, got told it is their fault they can't drive so just deal with it.

I stayed back once with someone working same shift as me. We walked to car park together and I waited whilst her boyfriend came to pick her up. We were shouted at and harassed by youths. When I told my manager he said it was my fault for staying back. If I have went home I would not have had abuse shouted at me.

All my managers are men btw. Complained as high up as I could about new office. Begged them to allow people to work early shifts in office and latest at home to avoid this. They wouldn't budge. They just don't get it and think we are trying to avoid working.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
My work has moved office, from a large buisness estate to an office above some shops in a town centre.

Manager doesn't seem to understand why female staff are scared to work late shifts in office. Instead of leaving and immediately being in a secure car park, we now have a ten minute walk through a rough area to a dark multi story car park.

There are drug addicts, homeless people and gangs of kids roaming the streets who often shout at us. I feel really vulnerable coming out when it is dark, and I am carrying what is very obviously a laptop bag.

Manager has given people option to drive home on lunch and work back half of shift at home . A few of the girls can't drive so can't get home in lunch. They have to stay unless can get a lift. This sometime means they are left in office alone between 5 and 8. When they have complaints to managers about being worried about being attacked, got told it is their fault they can't drive so just deal with it.
That is shocking...do you not have a HR department?

Unrelated...
I recall once back in the 90s, we had an evening/night security guard.
He turned up for work after a liquid lunch.

We had the occasional lady who works in Customer Services, and would call the late payers at 7.45pm during the Coronation Street break...
This creep went and made very inappropriate sexual comments to her.
He was promptly marched out the door the next morning by HR...

For once, our HR department did the right thing. No disrepect to HR people.. but ours were awful 😖

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
That‘s outrageous. Though it looks like he was roundly criticised for it: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...er-remarks-to-rape-victim-on-tv/28674509.html
Just on the point of taxis.... I know people always say to get a taxi home but I'd much rather walk. For me it's the choice of getting into an enclosed space (taxi) with a man I don't know vs the risk of someone grabbing me off the street where I could scream and be heard. I personally feel safer walking than in a vehicle.

It's crazy that we have to think about these choices so much - we should be able to just choose what's convenient for us. And I know the stats are low. But there's been enough cases in the news to make the choice of walk vs taxi one of 'between a rock and a hard place' for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Just on the point of taxis.... I know people always say to get a taxi home but I'd much rather walk. For me it's the choice of getting into an enclosed space (taxi) with a man I don't know vs the risk of someone grabbing me off the street where I could scream and be heard. I personally feel safer walking than in a vehicle.

It's crazy that we have to think about these choices so much - we should be able to just choose what's convenient for us. And I know the stats are low. But there's been enough cases in the news to make the choice of walk vs taxi one of 'between a rock and a hard place' for me.
Totally agree that women have to think about this sort of stuff all the time.

My ex husband could not understand one evening why I wanted to drive 2 mins in the car to the local shop to buy ingredients for our dinner. Called me paranoid and lazy because I wouldn't walk down to the local shop in the pitch dark...safe to say that he got no dinner that evening!
Men don't walk in our shoes...

He is my ex for many reasons!!

Reactions: 16
Totally agree that women have to think about this sort of stuff all the time.

My ex husband could not understand one evening why I wanted to drive 2 mins in the car to the local shop to buy ingredients for our dinner. Called me paranoid and lazy because I wouldn't walk down to the local shop in the pitch dark...safe to say that he got no dinner that evening!
Men don't walk in our shoes...

He is my ex for many reasons!!
Men just don't get it do they! I've always thought this was odd as men are more likely to be victims of street crime (muggings etc) and I know alot of male friends who've been robbed or mugged on nights out. I think they've just grown up with no messaging about looking out for their own safety so it doesn't occur to them to take preventative measures to avoid crime.

Reactions: 14
Men just don't get it do they! I've always thought this was odd as men are more likely to be victims of street crime (muggings etc) and I know alot of male friends who've been robbed or mugged on nights out. I think they've just grown up with no messaging about looking out for their own safety so it doesn't occur to them to take preventative measures to avoid crime.
Men also overestimate their abilities both mentally and physically so probably think they can take on an assailant.

Reactions: 18

Yep! My husband never understands when he suggests I get a taxi in certain situations and I refuse. I just do not feel comfortable putting myself into such a confined space with lockable doors with a strange man (Chris Halliwell comes to mind!). In the times in the past I've done it have mostly been fine, apart from one who dropped me off at my door but then would not stop talking to me. Which also annoyed me afterwards, as a woman I'm often too 'polite' to men overstepping boundaries and I always feel annoyed at myself afterwards for not being more confident.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Always has been, always will.
Not sure anyone read the horrific article on the BBC about Hamas raping Women but it's been that way since Man moved from 4 legs to 2.
The amount of people denying that happened and the comments about it all across the internet are horrific.
---
Ha! I'm single and I feel the same way!
The only true good men in my life:
My late Dad
My late brother
My son

Sadly I've never found a man other than these 3 that I could trust.
Every other man in my life has let me down and disappointed me!
Reading your comment made me think and most of the women I know would say the same - the only men they can trust are the ones related to them. I’m the same.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Screenshot_20231206_131420_Google.jpg

• Sad
  • Angry
That is shocking...do you not have a HR department?
Have spoken to Union and work will just not do anything. They say that it is an acceptable change as 1) we have an accommodation in the sense we can go home early and finish hours at home, and 2) we worked late hours in out old office.

Our old office had a private car park, a security guard and crucially did not have gangs of weirdos wandering about. Also 3 minutes walk from both a bus stop and a train station

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
The amount of people denying that happened and the comments about it all across the internet are horrific.
---

Reading your comment made me think and most of the women I know would say the same - the only men they can trust are the ones related to them. I’m the same.
Yes...it is sad, isn't it!

I don't want to denigrate all men, as I have a son....and I hope I have brought him up to treat women well...

And so far, so good!

The feedback is good!

• Heart
Reactions: 7