Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tallieban

I read one of my mums take a break magazines as a child, I read about a girl who was snatched by a couple, strung up and raped daily for 7 years, they made her sleep in a coffin, in the end the wife let her go because the husband was going to kill them both.
I think about it way more often than I should!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

Eureka

VIP Member
Baby P and other children who were allowed to be neglected to death while people did nothing.

• Sad

marisa9

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the murder of Paige Doherty in Glasgow has always stuck with me. Everything about that case was just horrific and she was so young with her whole life ahead of her, totally senseless. I think about her family every so often and I really hope they are getting on okay and have managed to find some sort of peace.

• Sad

avabella

VIP Member
Just remembered another story that stuck with me - a mother and daughter checked into a Travelodge in (Glasgow?) and basically butchered their own arms. The daughter actually tired to crawl out to get help at the last minute it would seem.

The strange background was something to do with a girl blackmailing them, pretending to be different people and texting from different numbers. Such a waste.

• Wow
  • Sad

GiftedNotFree

VIP Member
A case I always remember and think about often is the murder of Jill and Kirstie Foster. Christopher Foster shot them both (wife and daughter) then killer their family dogs and horses then burned down their house and killed himself. This happened in 2008 in Shropshire and was covered heavily in the press at the time.

I was the same age as Kirstie at the time and just couldn’t believe that a dad could do something so heinous. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. Such a terrifying and tragic way to die.

Edit - typo of the date. This happened in 2008.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Belulah

VIP Member
Yes that was absolutely horrendous, he obviously wasn't an angel but he was only a kid and he certainly didn't deserve to die like that 😢
I teach in a very poverty stricken area. I can just imagine so many of the boys I teach falling into that sort of situation. They have no idea about real consequences and all think they are a lot tougher than they are. I fear for a lot of them.

• Sad

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Leah Croucher sticks with me too, how can someone just disappear like that? And her poor family losing her brother too

• Sad
Reactions: 11

Raininvain

VIP Member
There was an article in the Mirror about Japanese people getting kittens and puppies for their handbags etc and then when they are fully grown getting rid of them and they then get gassed!. There was an interview with a worker from a pet crematorium and he showed all the pets they were beautiful and pedigrees etc and they were just going to be killed. There was also an interview with a lady that rescued the cats and kittens from the chambers. It was absolutely sickening. I know we have problems here but it was really bad.
Anything to do with Whaling and factory ships and dogs and cats been eaten as well, just sickens me. Japan and China and other Asian countries need to be totally pressurized about their animal abuse. It needs to stop.
When I was little 9, My Dad watched a documentary about Pol Pot and the killing fields, there were bodies and skeletons etc, just there thrown in a skip. Little children shouldn't be watching things like this. My Dad was clueless really.

• Sad
  • Wow

Jg182

Not a big national news story. But a lady who worked in McDonald’s in our town, was stabbed to death on shift. Me and my cousin had been there that morning and seen her. She had worked there for along time and was well known. It’s only a small town where I live, nothing really ever happens here. So was shocking and so sad.

And in more recent times and my adult life. Lee rigby. Just horrific. I come from a military family and also my husband is too. Just horrific for his family

• Sad
  • Wow

Fledgling Psycho

VIP Member
The murder of Kris Donald. I was only young at the time but I remember crying when I read all of the horrific details. I still get a knot in my stomach when I think about it.
I remember this. I was having my hair done and picked up the Sun to read while I was waiting. I could barely hold back the tears as the hairdresser was chatting to me. I collapsed in sobs when I got home. It was very downplayed too due to the sensitive circumstances.

Another one was a programme I watched on how the murder of a family affects their relatives. It was about a mother grieving for her son Lee. He was just at a nightclub in Germany minding his own business when one of the doormen attacked him, killed him & they carried him out and dumped him on the pavement. It was on CCTV. In court the doorman/men showed no remorse. I forget the details. I couldn't stop crying at his plight, I was so angry to be part of what we call humanity. Sickened and I could not get out of my mind the innocence if Kris & Lee robbed of their lives by such evil.

• Sad
  • Wow

Spacemonkey1972

VIP Member
When I was doing my degree I had to read the report on baby P. I was “ok” until I read that even though he was in horrific pain due to his spine injury, he still managed to smile for the social worker. That got me. I couldn’t continue reading. They covered his face in chocolate to cover bruises too.
Then I had to read about Victoria Climbié. Nope I was done. Had to put it all in a drawer for weeks

• Sad

BethanyGilbert

VIP Member
Re: Maxine Carr
She was only 25 and seemed like a vulnerable and not very bright girl. Huntley was horrendously coercive and abusive. None of these are excuses but are reasons for behaving in a way that the general public find repulsive.

bobbobdracella

The deaths of the members and manager of Viola Beach. I feel horrified every time I think about it. Funnily enough I barely remember the actual news story, just looking into it months/years later.

Solemnia

The tsunami in 2004 in South East Asia. I still remember seeing a picture in one of the newspapers of the wave itself and people running from the beach. Haunting. I can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been 😥I also can’t believe how long it’s been since it happened.

• Sad

flopsymopsy

VIP Member
The case that sticks with me is April Jones. I grew up nearby to where it happened, and I remember the fear in the community when she got taken. Such a tragic case, in interviews with her dad your heart just breaks for him. Someone who knew the family took her, and they never found her body. Just skull fragments in his fireplace confirmed to be hers. So sad

• Sad

mermaidexoxo

Viola Beach. A band from Warrington. They were on tour in Sweden and the vehicle they were travelling in fell off a bridge. All lost their lives including their manager.

Flight MH17 a passenger plane that was shot down above the Russian-Ukraine boarder.

Everyone remembers 9/11 but Flight93 really sticks with me as the one where the passengers tried to take back control from the hijackers and crashed into the ground. Real life heros.

Last year the murders of Blake and Tristan Barrass. 15 and 13 year old brothers murdered by their parents. They also tried to murder their 4 other children. It’s rumoured the parents are half brother and sister and the kids didn’t know. Absolutely harrowing.

💔💔

• Sad

Solemnia

Without a doubt the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. I was around the same age as them in 2002 and can still remember talking to my friends and parents about it.

Being from Ireland the murder of Jill Meagher was awful. CCTV of her last movements send chills down my spine.

Also, the murder of Karen Buckley in Glasgow was and still is absolutely haunting 💔

• Sad

petitspois

VIP Member
On a lighter note, this always stayed with me as one of the most random things I ever read. Kosovans apparently rate Tony Blair so much for his role in the Balkan war that a whole load of them have been called 'Tonibler'.

• Haha
  • Wow

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Holly and Jessica Chapman going missing, because they were one year older then me.

Baby P - just remember thinking that I would have loved him.

For the London bombings, our principal came running into our classroom and our class/school was evacuated to the local park, where our parents were phoned to come and collect us.

The Indian mother on an escalator who dropped her baby (who died) whilst trying to take a photo.

• Sad
  • Wow