Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mac2211

that mother and daughter must have been so frightened, I cant get over what they must have been going through to have resulted in suicide, poor souls and their family.
This was horrific. I was friends with Nicola and you could not of met a nicer family. Margaret was the nicest lady ever.

• Sad
Reactions: 13

Papparazzo

Two other ones for me, anyone remember one where a woman ran into her work and left the car outside by a lake, and it slipped in with her kids inside? Few years back in the UK. And another similar, I think the mother was on a hen do and her whole family died in a car in water again, think it was in Ireland?

• Sad
  • Wow

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
I just looked up the Kelly Anne Bates case. Dear god. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like that

• Sad
  • Sick

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I think a lot about Shannon Matthews and her siblings and where they are now. How did they even begin to recover from what went on, Shannon in particular obviously? As an adoptive parent I can’t imagine the conversation the children’s new families with have had to have with the children over the years to explain why they no longer see their mother. Heartbreaking.

I closely followed the Alton Towers’ Smiler story and think now just how much the lives of those involved were changed forever just by going for a fun day out.

Because of reading this thread I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking of John Edward Jones who died while trapped upside down in a cave. I watched the film (The Last Descent) that depicts the accident and have spent many a moment thinking of how he must have felt completely pinned in that small hole in the dark. Absolutely awful!

After watching Blackfish I often think about Dawn Brancheau who was killed by Tillikum the orca at Seaworld. She must have died an awful death and it was so preventable. As were the other lives taken by Tillikum over the years. If that orca hadn’t been taken from the wild just for the purpose of entertainment, those people could still be alive today.

For a while I got obsessed with reading about accidents in Cirque du Soleil and other circuses - Sarah Guyard-Guillot in Ka particularly sticks out for me. She fell almost 100ft vertically while carrying out a complicated routine and the thought of it terrifies me. Doing something she loved ultimately led to her death and there’s something bittersweet but ultimately tragic about it. The other story I often think about from my delve into the world of circus accidents is The Human Chandelier - 8 performers hanging from their hair fell to the ground when the apparatus they were hanging from collapsed. Thankfully there were no major injuries but it could have been so much worse!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12

TommyTBFC

Always remember when I was around 14-15 in 2006 on MSN (good times) someone send me a link to photos of a crash victim.

Her name was Nikki Catsouras.
She had an argument with her dad and Went for a drive in his Porsche 911, which she wasn’t allowed to drive. She lost control and hit a toll booth at 100mph.
The photos of the scene got leaked by an Officer who’d sent them to friends.
This stayed with me and will be with me for a long time.

Please Please Please don’t go searching for the pictures. They are horrific and are still very easily found with a google search, unfortunately.

• Sad
  • Wow

Warpaint

VIP Member
Probably the murder of Sophie Lancaster as I was around the same age at the time. I also remember the whole mosher and chav/townie days where the attacks were unfortunately quite common. Recall seeing the 'murdered for being different' posters just after it happened in a lot of pubs

• Sad

catscradle

The tsunami always sticks in my head. My mum called me Boxing Day morning as she thought my friend was in Thailand. She said about 10 people had been killed by a big tidal wave. The way the numbers just grew and grew then was so shocking and awful.
I was 8 at the time and in in Sri Lanka with my family - the day the tsumani struck, we left our hotel on the coast in the morning. Over the course of the day, we received dozens of worried messages from friends and family back home. We were travelling so we didn't actually grasp what was going on at first or why so many people were contacting us until we saw the news later that day. Turns out the tsunami hit 10-15 mins after our departure.

• Wow
Bit different to most on here but John Jones who went into the nutty putty cave in America. It happened in 2009 but I only discovered the story this year and I couldn't get it out of my head. I struggled to breath just reading the series of unfortunate events that lead to his tragic death. His poor wife and their children. she was pregnant at the time too.

• Sad
  • Wow

Crunky_Snack

Just had a sudden memory of a heartbreaking news story about a man who was the victim of an acid attack (I think it was something to do with his ex girlfriend). There was video footage of the actual attack and it would later became really haunting; a few years later he won the right to die via assisted suicide. He was only in his 20s/30s I believe.

• Sad

Tree_

VIP Member
A mother passed away in her flat, I think from maybe an asthma attack, leaving her non-verbal 4 year old alone by himself. His nursery came round to check on them a couple of times but as there was no response, they assumed they'd gone away and it wasn't taken any further. They were both found a few weeks later and the little boy had died in his mum's arms. Honestly one of the saddest things I've ever read and its stuck with me for years.
I honestly can't convey the heartache I just felt reading that. Awful. Poor little poppet

• Heart
the one I will never forget (apart from the obvious ones) is poor Leah Betts. I was 10/11 when that happened and I couldn’t get that image out of my head. I always assumed that taking any illegal drugs and I could end up like that. It worked for me as I’ve never taken any.

and more recently Malaysian airlines 370. I wish they would find that plane and put those loved ones out of their misery.

Bellagoth

Leah Betts and the photo they released. I echo the earlier poster in that it completely deterred me from using drugs. Awful story and her parents were devasted.

And Hillsborough. A couple of relatives were there and I remember my parents pacing the house. No mobile phones so it was a waiting game. Thankfully they were in another stand, but it breaks my heart to think of all of those families who didn't get the "I'm okay" call.

• Sad
the story of a woman in her 30s leaving her house with her boxer dog inside and didn't go back for months. The body of the dog was found only because the neighbours reported a smell. The dog would of died over two painful weeks!! it had been so starving all the mop buckets and bowls had been upturned where the dog had been desperately trying to get food and water.

Still knocks me sick to this day!!! Will never forget it!

I think the woman might of been a solicitor too !!
I remember this mostly because I’m a boxer owner and dog lover. I remember they said he’d worn his paws to pretty much the bone trying to get out 💔

I live in a fairly small Dorset village and even the surrounding towns nothing too big happens.
A few years ago I was walking down my small road to walk the dog when I saw it had been closed off by police and the whole road going through the village.
A 90 year old had accidentally got his automatic car peddles mixed up and reversed into his wife’s elderly friend. Pinning her to a wall. Sorry to be graphic but she was obviously severed in half. This was all outside my house. The girl in the shop said they’d tried to help and she was still a live and that it was the worst thing she’d ever seen. The road was closed off for hours waiting for the highway crash cleanup team as it was an awful mess. When I walked the dog the evening all you could smell was blood from the puddles where they had cleaned. It was awful. I even felt sad for the poor old boy too.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Just been reading more about Arthur labinjo Hughes and what happened to him, it’s made me feel so sick and angry.

Allegedly the dad said he was frustrated with lockdown, not working and his son’s behaviour, but he couldn’t lash out at his partner because she was a woman and he couldn’t touch her kids, so he took it out on Arthur. What a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a man, the last person you take it out on is a child, any child.

They also claim that Arthur had behavioural problems, he screamed and threw tantrums, hit out and was rude to his dad and his partner… and that pathetic excuse of a human thinks that justifies torturing his son? NO, NEVER. He was a child and they were the adults, it was their job to understand his behaviour and to try and help him improve in gentle ways, not by beating him 😭.

The poor kid had been taken away from his mum and then the country went into lockdown, then he moved in with his dad and a stranger and her kids. No wonder he was acting out and had behavioural problems, most children would, it is no excuse to treat him that way, they should have got help if they were struggling. I feel so angry 😡😡😡.
I hadn’t seen this story but have just listened to the audio of him shouting “no one loves me” just absolutely broke my heart. I’m sobbing my heart out thinking of that poor boy. How on earth can people be so cruel to anyone let alone a defenceless child. It’s just awful.

• Sad

LittleMy

VIP Member
The two year old boy who was on holiday with his family to Florida (Disney World) and was dragged off into the water by an alligator, to his death. Just horrific. My son wasn’t much younger at the time, my heart broke for him and his family. Poor little darling. 😞

• Sad

Onthehop

VIP Member
One story I always think about at this time of year is of a mother going up into the loft to bring Christmas decorations down. She fell and died instantly in front of her children. It’s heartbreaking. I often think of those poor children.

• Sad
  • Wow

Eureka

VIP Member
Two other ones for me, anyone remember one where a woman ran into her work and left the car outside by a lake, and it slipped in with her kids inside? Few years back in the UK. And another similar, I think the mother was on a hen do and her whole family died in a car in water again, think it was in Ireland?
That case of the family in Donegal was awful. Only for the bravery of a passerby the baby survived. That poor woman lost her mum, sister, husband and two sons that day. I think about her often.

• Sad

Eureka

VIP Member
There's a few. The Hawe family murders is one. Basically a dad killed his wife, three sons and then himself because a secret of some sort that would ruin his reputation was about to be revealed. I think he was caught wanking at work - he was a school principal.

The other is the Buncrana drowning tragedy. A father, his two sons, his mum in law and her teenage daughter all died when their car when down a slip way into the water. A passerby managed to swim out to the car and save the only survivor - a baby girl. I think of their mum often, she lost her husband, sons, mother and sister that day. I can't imagine how you would get through that.

• Sad