Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

No style rocky

Damilola Taylor. The cctv images of him skipping by Peckham library, just before he died, showed a lad with so much joyfulness and possibility, it really resonated with me as you see so many kids behave in the same way.

Shannon Matthews. I remember feeling cross at the time that the media wasn’t giving as much focus and support to her as they did to Madeleine McCann

Reactions: 15
I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓
This for me too. How could those teachers not suspect something? They said he was being greedy! Wtf! It makes me so angry thinking about it.
I can still picture his face & I still get teary. He was such a beautiful little boy 😢. The monsters who killed him are both dead & I hope they rot in hell.

• Heart

Lulu Goss

VIP Member
I read a story in the Daily Mail a few weeks ago about a man in America who abducted women, planning to keep them in some sort of cult with him as the leader. He kept them in his basement and at one point had around 6 of them down there together, torturing and raping them. At one point after realising they could hear when he left/came back to the house, he tried to deafen them by stabbing inside their ears with screwdrivers.

One of the women gained his trust by making him believe she was on his side - she helped him get rid of the body of one of the girls he killed and told him what the other girls had been saying/doing when he wasn’t around. Eventually she had a chance to get help, and some of the girls were rescued.

The other girls hated her as they thought she was as bad as he was, eventually after getting out they realised that she had done it to try and save them. It was such a horrific story, I can’t imagine how scared they must have been.

• Wow
  • Sad

The King in the North

This case is just disturbing. The video alone is disturbing. I'm still baffled how a woman, by herself got into the hotel water tank. Do not believe it one bit.

• Wow
Reactions: 14

FoksiOska

VIP Member
In the lead up to Christmas, I always think about the lady who was stabbed to death whilst at work on the shop floor in Aldi in Skipton. It was a few days before Christmas and she had a young daughter

• Sad
  • Heart

Alistess

Chatty Member
Years ago Sky showed a report of a zoo/animal park in China. The public could pay a fee to see a live cow shoved into a ring with lions. The sound of that poor wretched cow screaming as they were chewing her leg is seared on my brain.

• Wow
  • Sad

HelloStereo

VIP Member
The Soham murders, I grew up in Cambridgeshire so it was particularly close to home for me. Also James Bulger due to the sheer brutality of it and that Jon Venables keeps re-offending.

Also the murder of Kelly Anne Bates. She was tortured four weeks before her death and her partner gauged her eyes out three weeks before her death. I think prosecutors commented that "death must have come as a merciful end for her" and the sheer misery she must have felt is so awful.

• Sad
  • Sick

Hendrix

All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.

• Sad

AnderbeauJohnson

VIP Member
Another one is Geraldine Largay and it's heartbreaking - she was a 66 year old woman who was hiking the Appalachian Trail in America when she wandered off the trail and became lost. They searched for her with rangers, dogs and helicopters for 24 days but couldn't find any sign of her or her belongings. Two years later her remains were found inside her tent where she'd waited for rescue and she had kept a diary for 26 days before dying of starvation/exposure.

The most heartbreaking thing was she was only 0.4 miles (2100 feet) away from the trail but she was so disoriented by how vast the forest was that she couldn't find it and they couldn't find her. The last entry in her diary said 'when you find my body, please call my husband George."

• Sad
  • Wow

Meh

Chatty Member
I just mentioned this on another thread but it definitely belongs here.

The 2008 murder of Moira Jones in Glasgow. This happened when I lived 4 or so streets away and it was terrifying seeing the incident command vehicle snd police presence.

Poor woman was feet away from her front door, overpowered and walked into Queens Park. There was she was raped, beaten and strangled and a park ranger found her early next morning. The horrible thing is people who were walking their dogs snd in their flats that overlooked the park testified they heard short but terrified screams. Couldn’t be sure if it was real or whatnot but sadly it’s thought to have been Moira. The piece of shit scum who did this fled back to Slovakia and they had to work to get him back to Scotland. Animal. 😡. I always felt for Moira’s family and her long term partner - she had a bicker with him that night and went back to her own flat, then she was attacked. Sadly, I do believe if it was not her, this animal would have killed some other unfortunate woman to cross his path.

• Sad
  • Heart
Trigger warning? sexual assault
A few years ago there was a young girl in Birmingham I think, who was raped by a taxi driver. She escaped and flagged down another car to help her. When she got in, the driver of that car took her somewhere and also raped her. So awful.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry

Glaschelle

VIP Member
In Glasgow we've had 3 tradegies happen near Christmas time.

One was the police helicopter that crashed into a pub. The Anniversary was on Sunday. We'd been putting Christmas decorations up in the centre I work in and the helicopter passed over my head at 8.30pm when I was waiting for my bus. Quite a few people in Glasgow saw it hit the Clutha. It's so near the river - who knows if the pilot was trying to ditch there to save lives.

A week before Christmas 2010, a guy crashed into 2 students waiting at traffic lights. Both girls died. Turned put he'd had medical issues and hadn't disclosed them. Apparently he'd passed out 6 times before. He never faced trial.

4 years later, a guy driving a bin lorry killed 6 people including a girl and her grandparents. The pictures of her poor mum at their funeral still sticks with me.

Again he had medical issues he didn't disclose and didn't face trial. He'd passed out driving a bus! He was banned from driving on medical grounds and was seen driving his car!

At the enquiry, the other men in the lorry seemed more affected by the crash than the driver was.

Both of these men literally walked away from these crashes without a scratch on them but have left a lifetime of hurt for their victims families.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
A few years ago there was a family who were killed in an arson attack in Manchester a few days before Christmas. The mum survived but had terrible inquiries and in was in hospital for months, I don’t think she even attended their funerals. It was so awful and for some reason I couldn’t get them out of my head for ages afterwards.
I remember that. It was harrowing thinking of her having to deal with that

• Sad
  • Haha

Spider12

VIP Member
Ciaran Morris, 2 week old premature baby who died after his pram was struck by a car .
Such a tragic and upsetting story.
Absolutely heartbreaking 💔 it’s something that has always been in the back of my mind when I’ve been out walking with my babies in their prams. People who speed, drive without due care, etc make me rage.

SummerLeaves2004

In 2003ish a five-year-old girl was killed after being carried away entangled in the ropes of a hot air balloon ripped from its stand. She was found miles away. Utterly horrific. The poor parents. Life can be unbelievably cruel.

• Wow
  • Sad

Lovegin

VIP Member
Another one for me is the murder of Rhys Jones, it’s bad enough he was caught up in crossfire but then for all those parents to lie about it, it was way beyond anything that I as a parent could imagine, if my son had done anything like that I would’ve shopped him right away

• Sad

whisperchat

VIP Member
There's a few but one of the main ones for me is Breck Bednar, my brother was in classes with him at school and knew him quite well. When he was murdered it was just the most gut wrenching and disturbing story. The news didn't put out all the details of what happened to the poor boy but I've been told by my brother and people who knew him the true details and it haunts me.

• Sad
  • Heart
The death of a child genius who apparently killed himself after working out scientifically that there was no purpose to life - I found this very haunting

The Helen Bailey murder, incredibly sad, I read her blog and had enjoyed her books when I was a teenager

I can't remember the name but the murder of a Chinese woman who worked at a Thorntons factory by a co-worker obsessed with her. The media reports of her death and the photos printed in the news were very objectifying - many of them deliberately chosen to show how small she was next to her white British husband and by implication the killer as well. I'm of Chinese descent and seeing this in the news turned my stomach, I've met more than enough creepy white men in my time and I HATE stereotypes of all East or South East Asian women as fragile, beautiful little flowers

• Sad
  • Heart