Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tommyb

Chatty Member
:cry: Yeah the one article I managed to find had very little info, but did say she was left on her own in the caravan park while her mum went drinking.
There's actually a book that was written on this case. You can also find out the horrifying details of what that monster did to her. Her mum did leave her alone for over 3 hours. They are very quiet about his release..

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Punchy1988

Around 12-15 years ago I'd say, a young guy got chatting to a pretty girl on a train, but never got her details. So he drew a picture of what he remembered of her face, and set up a campaign to try and find her. He went on GMTV to talk about it. I remember at the time, a few people said he should drop it and leave her alone as she might have a boyfriend, or was just being friendly. I never found out if he found her though!
I'm pretty sure this was a big joke. The guy ended up becoming quite a successful and I think it was just his wynif getting his foot in the door, he was in the papers a few times doing similar 'pranks'

Upintheair83

VIP Member
I ave the plane falling out the sky recurring dream too. I even remark that I have dreams about it , in my dream !
Really?!!! I wonder why we dream it so often! Iv always had it. What’s bizzare is that the aircraft I see falling is usually always outside my childhood home in a field- never really anywhere else. But I see it falling and then going up in flames. It’s horrible xx

I am a total law and order svu geek, there’s a tonne of episodes that are loosely based on real life crimes, they usually have a disclaimer at the start of them that says it’s fiction and not based on a real story 🤣 but the actual fictional ones don’t have the disclaimer 🤣
Oh.... i knew there was always a disclaimer saying it wasn't based on real life crimes but haven't noticed when there wasn't one. I must keep a look out!

I dont understand what you are asking sorry
So is the actual crime ever mentioned or just the conviction? So for example with Maxine would it be mentioned the actual events. Or would this never be mentioned and just talk about how finding work etc with a conspiring to prevent to course of justice conviction?

I often feel like the victims are forgotten about as individuals and it’s more about moving the offender forward. Hope that makes more sense.

This article is new but I can already tell it is going to stay with me for a long time. It’s about two female writers. One writer donates her kidney and posts about it to Facebook. The second writer authors a story inspired by the first woman and steals a Facebook post in the process. The details are crazy.. There are ~1.4k comments on the article today.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like an interesting read x

iLoveMeSomeCanoles

Chatty Member
The murder of schoolgirl Kate Bushell in/near Exeter in 1997. She was walking her neighbour's dog and her throat was cut. Killer hasn't been found.

The "Babes in the Woods" murders of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were always on the news when I was very small, I always remember their pictures.

The Chillenden murders (Lin and Megan Russell).

When Fred and Rose West were revealed to be the monsters they are. I have my Mum to thank for my remembering this so well, she got really into following the news on this.

Jill Dando murder

Sarah Payne

Joanna Yeates

9/11 and 7/7: I watched it all unfold on TV

Paris Bataclan attack - this sticks in my head as it was the weekend my father died

And unfortunately towns fairly local to me have had some nationally/internationally-covered news in recent years;
- father with debt problems murdered his wife and two young children, then killed himsel
- a mother killed her young daughter, think the mother split from husband who she suspected of starting new relationship
- Salisbury Novichok Poisonings
- another father killed his wife and daughter

Also horrified to read about that girl who got raped on Bournemouth beach this summer, with crowds of people around.

Marymoo13

There’s a programme on bbc Scotland at the moment about Margaret Flemings disappearance/murder, we spoke about it earlier in the threat for anybody interested

Pumpkinpie0991

VIP Member
Remember seeing one about an elderly woman in a red coat that got hit by a bin lorry. They showed a CCTV clip of her walking out into the road (you don't see it happen). They then showed the CCTV after it happened. There were 3 men who witnessed it and they all looked shocked and horrified, one of them was doubled over as if he was about to be sick. Poor lady.
Gosh this remind me the death of an 86 year old in Durham. About 17 years ago now. Dragged for about 4 miles through the town onto the dual carriageway.
Only when the bus turned did the body fall to the side. 😔

• Sad
All aspects are discussed, including how the offender views themselves as well as the impact on both the victim and on them in relation to moving forward with their lives. There are also charities that ex offenders can approach or be referred to that offer assistance with a range of things such as counselling, housing and work etc. I'm not saying it's always straightforward or successful though obviously but in terms of probation, it's a condition of sentencing/release that they must engage with the service.
I appreciate it’s obviously really complex but it is interesting that the whole situation is looked at. Especially how the person views themselves. I know in my local area there is a charity that helps rehabilitate people on release. Things like housing as if that’s not sorted then likely to fall back into old habits. I do find it really interesting. I watched a documentary on how different counties deal with release. Think it was Sweden where there is no whole life sentence. I was at a party once with a women who was a prison psychologist...most unapproachable person ever but maybe that was a defence to being asked lots of questions about her job. So didn’t ask any lol x

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
Also another one, which is local news, is the murder of Lisa Jane Hession. It happened in the town that I am from 36 years ago today and still to this day the killer hasn’t been caught. She was 14 years old and was just yards from her home when it happened, she had been returning from a party. It’s so sad that her mum passed away without seeing justice done for Lisa.

• Sad

Tots

VIP Member
The murder of Sophie Hook really stayed with me, snatched from a relatives garden while camping by some local weirdo who was known to be dangerous then found on a beach.
I hadn’t heard about this, poor girl. What he did to her was horrific. She must have been terrified

• Sad

insilverandgold

Air France Flight 447 from Rio de Janeiro to Charles de Gaulle. Something about that just got lodged in my head and I followed it for weeks.

The Utøya shootings also. I distinctly remember seeing the aerial footage of people swimming away trying to get to safety and feeling sick to my stomach over it.

A more recent one is the Notre Dame fire in Paris. We were sat in a restaurant in Dubrovnik but couldn’t help being glued to our phones watching live news. There’s something about seeing a cultural icon or monument being destroyed that feels very sad.

SNLGJ

For me princess dianas death - been out clubbing and put the telly on when we got home and also 9-11, was at work and someone came into our office and told us and we all sat watching the news all day on our computers in utter disbelief

There was an episode of Law & Order SVU on last night which was obv loosely based on the Turpin story. A very malnourished girl escapes from a house, police think she is in her teens but she is actually in her twenties, she is forced to go back home by her controlling dad, parents take the kids out bowling, like a happy family day out, neighbours barely saw the children outside, when a policewoman enters the house she finds one of the children shackled to a radiator.
I thought it was a real coincidence after reading about the Turpin story on here then seeing that episode!

openbook1

VIP Member
I was in Tunisia the week before. It was my first holiday in 15 years due to being terrified of flying since 9/11. Needless to say I’ve never been away since.
There was a blogger...a girl called Carly Lovett who was killed in the Tunisia beach attacks.

• Sad