What Makes You Feel Old?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We didn't have computers at school at all let alone mobile phones.
We only had three channels on TV and children's programmes ended at 5.30pm.
When we went to school everyone had watched the same programmes as there was so little choice. There was no streaming so we all had to watch in real time.
We didn't have a freezer until I was about 12. I thought artic roll was the last thing in sophistication.
I remember decimalisation.

I am officially a dinosaur.
Brontosaurus 🦕 here 👋
I can remember when chips from the chippy were 2 pence a portion 10 pence for fish 🙈
I can remember when my brother got a calculator for school and it was soooo expensive
I can remember lying on the rug and my job was to crawl forward and turn the tv over, the big tv with as you say 3 channels 😂
I can remember when we got a colour tv
It seems like another world

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
When watching kids now use think was Windows 95 one of the 9x series Windows Operating Systems, still using/running Flight Sim, actually orignated back in 1982 for the Mac. Though was their 5.1 when I started in 95, was playing an old game, some games dev studios finally released the last bit of a game thats been in the making for least the last 20 years lol (slightly longer actually).

When we went to school everyone had watched the same programmes as there was so little choice. There was no streaming so we all had to watch in real time.
We didn't have a freezer until I was about 12. I thought artic roll was the last thing in sophistication.

If this makes you feel any better was watching episodes of Wind In The Willows, howling with laughter at some episodes (more than back when when I was probably about 5) like when he puts the printing press text and etc on back to front "you stupid, stupid, you stupid thing" *proceeeds to kick it* haha!

Reactions: 3
This reminds me when the teachers used to wheel in those massive tellys with a video player.

Either to entertain us on the last week of school or scare the tit out of us with those "Don't go with strangers/play on railway lines/abseil off a pylon" films.
Omg that was the highlight of days at school!!!

Reactions: 7

And if you were really posh you got Vienetta :ROFLMAO:

I loved Arctic Role and those strawberry mousse things ... think they were Birds Eye.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My teenage niece was talking about the Spice Girls documentary that was on a couple of years ago and said she really enjoyed it and “loved learning about history” 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Every time I see sweets, I automatically convert the price to old money. Most things are now 80p which was 16 shillings! If I’d have spent that on sweets as a kid, I’d have needed a wheelbarrow to carry them home. And don’t get me started on a penneth of chips.😄

Reactions: 2
What makes me feel old? Well, apart from the reflection in the mirror, I currently seem to be targeted by adverts for retirement homes, and - worse still - bleeping undertakers.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
What makes me feel old? Well, apart from the reflection in the mirror, I currently seem to be targeted by adverts for retirement homes, and - worse still - bleeping undertakers.
I came home the other day and I had two leaflets in the door one for a retirement home and one for incontinence pants 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I hit 50 last year and as if by magic the Sunlife ads started through the post. Hubby thought it was hilarious as I’d been ribbing him for years about his Mail shots 😂😭

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Every time I see sweets, I automatically convert the price to old money. Most things are now 80p which was 16 shillings! If I’d have spent that on sweets as a kid, I’d have needed a wheelbarrow to carry them home. And don’t get me started on a penneth of chips.😄
Omg we got a curly wirly in a chocolate gift set
dear god it was so small it was nearly the size of a finger of fudge 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Doing some exercise without my leggings as have fake tan on, looking upside-down and seeing my wrinkly skin hanging off my thighs! 😭 Feel like, oh what’s the bloody point? (exercise). Just a shock sometimes actually, how much of the crinkly stuff is appearing now.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
And if you were really posh you got Vienetta :ROFLMAO:

I loved Arctic Role and those strawberry mousse things ... think they were Birds Eye.
I loved Viennetta! My mum used to manage to get 9 slices out of it 😂 , it would often get bought on a Bank Hol weekend so we'd have it as dessert Sat, Sun and Mon.

Before Viennetta I remember we'd have Gino Ginelli icecream (and the annoying advert for it).

We also used to get a Sara Lee gateau for special occasions like birthdays/ Christmas, either Black Forest (which I didn't eat because I hate cherries) or Double Chocolate.

My sons have never even heard of a Black Forest Gateau!

Having sons that are 22 and 24 is also making me feel old, in my mind they're still about 18 and 20.

My knees. What the duck has happened to my knees. The look of them, their stiffness.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Reading the obituries in the local rag and knowing at least three people who have died. Thet can be people i have worked with or who taught my children. I'm only 58 😩

• Sad
Reactions: 3
My knees. What the duck has happened to my knees. The look of them, their stiffness.
Oh yeah I can empathise with you here. In fact, I went to the doctors this morning about my left knee - it is realy swollen and painful. The doc said "Well now OJF, I'm afraid its just old age and you'll need to put up with it".
"What a load of bollocks" I replied, "The other knee is the same age and there's duck-all wrong with that one!!"

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Oh yeah I can empathise with you here. In fact, I went to the doctors this morning about my left knee - it is realy swollen and painful. The doc said "Well now OJF, I'm afraid its just old age and you'll need to put up with it".
"What a load of bollocks" I replied, "The other knee is the same age and there's duck-all wrong with that one!!"
Mine started off with just one. The other one has now joined in!

I don’t know about you but I could do with losing a stone and a half. For every pound you lose you lessen the pressure on your knees by 4 pounds. So if I did lose 21 pounds my knees will be relieved of 84 pounds. I am going to have to do it. They are making me feel decrepit.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My daughter asking me a few years ago if toothbrushes existed when i was a child back in the olden days (im only mid-30s now)
I remember the Gibbs solid toothpaste which came in flat tins (like the shoe polish tins), you had to wet your toothbrush then rub the bristles on the hard paste, not very hygenic to share!
---
I made a comment to the check out cashier in Tesco today that the store's music was too loud and she agreed with me! Why does every shop have to blare music out, why can't we shop in peace?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.