What Makes You Feel Old?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was on a train yesterday passing glorious countryside with spectactular veiws. I was sad to see 90% of other passengers staring down mindlessly in to their mobile phones.
Might not be mindless. People read books and magazines on phones. Reading a book isn’t mindless. I use train journeys to learn a language on my phone. But I agree it is rare to see people’s faces on trains anymore. Plenty of tops of heads.

Generation Z have a completely different way of speaking and usng the English language to my generation (mid 90s babies). They over use the word like. For example, they will say "it's like my birthday today"....either it is your f***ing birthday or it isn't it! They also abbreviate far too many phrases, such as DTF.
Generation Z are they born after 96 ? I went clubbing the other week i am 30 and the fashion is horrific.

Reactions: 1
Realising I left school 20 years ago this summer. Where did two decades go? 😩

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Love Island.
Seriously, my adult children watch it and I've tried, but I have no idea whats going on.
Oh wait.......I AM old. 😔

Reactions: 2
Other people telling me I’m old because THEY are older than me and feel old.
I’m 32 duck off.

Reactions: 4
Something that’s been happening recently is that I will think I recognise someone and then realise that they are way too young to be who I’m thinking of!

Being invisible. I don’t mean to men (I got hassled a lot when younger, don’t miss that) but invisible to everybody. Shop assistants, in meetings at work, younger women. I don’t blend in, I wear nice clothes, have hair and make up done. But it’s as if society, UK one anyway, has decided that middle aged women have absolutely no relevance and people’s gaze just sweeps over me as if I don’t exist. It has started to anger me. I have more about me now than when I was younger, but nobody wants to know about it. Being thought irrelevant (hate that word) is the biggest ager of them all.

You see the Queen, sure she has mobility issues now. But she is fully engaged and bright as anything. Why is that? Because she is listened to, she is respected, she has “relevance”. It keeps you going.

Reactions: 12
Being invisible. I don’t mean to men (I got hassled a lot when younger, don’t miss that) but invisible to everybody. Shop assistants, in meetings at work, younger women. I don’t blend in, I wear nice clothes, have hair and make up done. But it’s as if society, UK one anyway, has decided that middle aged women have absolutely no relevance and people’s gaze just sweeps over me as if I don’t exist. It has started to anger me. I have more about me now than when I was younger, but nobody wants to know about it. Being thought irrelevant (hate that word) is the biggest ager of them all.

You see the Queen, sure she has mobility issues now. But she is fully engaged and bright as anything. Why is that? Because she is listened to, she is respected, she has “relevance”. It keeps you going.
I’ve been feeling like this this week. I didn’t know why I was feeling so fed up but you’ve hit the nail
on the head. I had a younger woman bite my head off the other day when she hadn’t even heard half of what I actually said. I soon put the little tit in her place but she made me feel a right twit

Reactions: 5
I’ve been feeling like this this week. I didn’t know why I was feeling so fed up but you’ve hit the nail
on the head. I had a younger woman bite my head off the other day when she hadn’t even heard half of what I actually said. I soon put the little tit in her place but she made me feel a right twit
Middle aged women seem to be held in contempt by society, by everyone including younger women. I think they know subconsciously that they are heading for the same treatment as they get older. I hate being dismissed because of something I cannot do anything about. This isn’t about looking old, its the lack of regard for older women, especially in UK. Other countries perhaps respect older women more (France is oft quoted). Its the lack of respect that makes me feel lessened and older. In myself I feel okay, and don’t have a thing about ageing, but it is other peoples view of me that makes me feel old.

Reactions: 4
Realising that people who were born in 00's are now leaving school, going to college or graduating from uni 😨

Reactions: 6
Shoes.
I have two knee replacements and arthritis in my feet so finding shoes that are comfortable and practical is difficult.
But the all look like old granny shoes! Someone must be able to design something with a bit of style

Reactions: 2
I was thinking about things today. I feel old because of time I feel I wasted. It wasn’t all a waste because I learnt many lessons, but whilst I was learning lessons, people I loved had time against them and they are no longer here. This means my mum and my grandparents will never get to see me marry, if I ever do, because now I feel time is against me. I don’t regret the past, but I wish I’d learnt sooner that life isn’t ever promised. Realising that at this age, definitely makes me feel old, but I wouldn’t change that for anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.