What do you want to rant about today? #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The weather is absolutely cack. 17-18 degrees forecast for the next week it’s meant to be summer 😟😟😟😟😟😟😟

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If the kids start moaning 'I'm bored' 'what are we doing today?' etc give them chores to do, that will soon shut them up!
I remember school holidays in the 90s my parents couldn’t afford to take us to places so often we would go to the local park, run off steam, or when old enough, we’d go walking with school friends. At home we just had the one telly in the front room, and i remember a lot of the time I had to content myself with drawing whilst listening to the radio, or, reading the Harry Potter books etc. There was no social media for me until I was about 14. Some of my best relaxed times where those when i could just get lost in a book. I do wonder if parents are under too much pressure now to give kids all the experiences and trips and gadgets, when, in fairly recent history all we had was parks and books and toys? Do kids expect too much now? Does social media make them discontented?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
They can try but they wouldn;t get far/past me. On one of my stints at M&S we had a customer come to the till with a pair of womens shoes. There was no way on Gods green earth they were only £10. What the dumb customer didn;t realise was it came up on the till as womens slippers because thats obviously what she'd peeled the label off. Of course we were not allowed to say anything but boy did she get a sarcastic I think that must have the wrong label on spiel from me as if to say i know your game madam nice effing try
When we knew people were trying it on with the wrong label when I worked in retail, we would pretend that one didn't scan.

My make up has gone on perfectly, eyebrows are 👌🏻. If I wanted it to look like this, it wouldn't 🤣
Now have to sit in a rainy field playing rounders and picnicking for our nephews birthday party. Yayyy. Frizzy haired, sweaty, red faced mess incoming. At least my eyebrows will still be good 😆

Reactions: 6
I am the boring nit picker who raises an eyebrow at suspicious information touted as fact. As a relatively new mum I have obviously been bombarded with suggestions on what food / classes / toys are needed to raise a well balanced child.

Some of the most frequently touted modern parenting information is utter bullshit. Completely fictional in most cases and based of wafer thin evidence that doesn't have statistical relevance, but somehow it's all over the internet as fact.

I honestly think we are seeing the products of modern parenting emerging and it's not looking great.

I think a lot of the studies are looking for what makes children happier, but in the long term really doesn't help them. I think if you want happy kids it probably works fine, but if you want them to become happy adults it doesn't. Just my novice parent take on things.
Can you give examples of what you are talking about? I’m interested in your view and think I agree, I’m just not sure of what exactly you mean necessarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Last night I found a wallet lying in the street. I picked it up and waited for a couple of minutes in case someone came looking for it. There were drunken revellers everywhere. I almost put it back down in case someone on a night out realised they had lost their wallet and was going to retrace their steps.

But then I thought 'If I don't take it, the next person to spot it might steal the money and use the credit cards', so I took it home. I found the name on the driving licence and messaged him on Facebook, "Did you lose your wallet in York?"

Today I got a message saying "I did, yeah" and he asks if he can come to collect it. I said of course and gave him my address. I have quite a lot to do today, so I asked if he can make it here in the next couple of hours. He doesn't reply for an hour. Then he replies saying he doesn't have time today so it will have to be next week.

What the hell are you doing that's more important than retrieving your money, driving licence and credit cards (and Mecca bingo loyalty card)? He didn't even say thanks and he just expects me to keep his property for when he feels like showing up. I have an extremely busy week and don't have time to negotiate a time to be sitting at home.

I've experienced several frustrating situations in the past few days arising from young men being entitled with me.
- That guy who promised me something on Marketplace for free, then said it was now £20 and kicked off when I said no.
- A guy who insisted on carrying my heavy shopping for me, then complained the whole way down my street that it was too heavy, but wouldn't let me take it myself.
- Being robbed a few weeks ago.
- My boss changing my hours to 6.30-8.30pm, even though the role isn't time sensitive, because obviously I never need to eat dinner? (He's old, but I'm including it.)
- Two separate guys come up to me in the street like "Hey love, how're you? You going out tonight? Where do you live?" and acting like I've devastated them when I didn't reply.
- My neighbour casually telling me he's put his lawnmower in my shed because there wasn't room in his. He also takes a short cut through my garden no matter how many times I ask him not to.

All but one of these men are my age or younger. I'm surprised to find myself old enough to grumble about young people today, but the entitlement and lack of manners really shocks me.

I don't care if they think I should unquestioningly give them my time, money and attention, I will not!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Last night I found a wallet lying in the street. I picked it up and waited for a couple of minutes in case someone came looking for it. There were drunken revellers everywhere. I almost put it back down in case someone on a night out realised they had lost their wallet and was going to retrace their steps.

But then I thought 'If I don't take it, the next person to spot it might steal the money and use the credit cards', so I took it home. I found the name on the driving licence and messaged him on Facebook, "Did you lose your wallet in York?"

Today I got a message saying "I did, yeah" and he asks if he can come to collect it. I said of course and gave him my address. I have quite a lot to do today, so I asked if he can make it here in the next couple of hours. He doesn't reply for an hour. Then he replies saying he doesn't have time today so it will have to be next week.

What the hell are you doing that's more important than retrieving your money, driving licence and credit cards (and Mecca bingo loyalty card)? He didn't even say thanks and he just expects me to keep his property for when he feels like showing up. I have an extremely busy week and don't have time to negotiate a time to be sitting at home.

I've experienced several frustrating situations in the past few days arising from young men being entitled with me.
- That guy who promised me something on Marketplace for free, then said it was now £20 and kicked off when I said no.
- A guy who insisted on carrying my heavy shopping for me, then complained the whole way down my street that it was too heavy, but wouldn't let me take it myself.
- My boss changing my hours to 6.30-8.30pm, even though the role isn't time sensitive, because obviously I never need to eat dinner? (He's old, but I'm including it.)
- Two separate guys come up to me in the street like "Hey love, how're you? You going out tonight? Where do you live?" and acting like I've devastated them when I didn't reply.
- My neighbour casually telling me he's put his lawnmower in my shed because there wasn't room in his. He also takes a short cut through my garden no matter how many times I ask him not to.

All but one of these men are my age or younger. I'm surprised to find myself old enough to grumble about young people today, but the entitlement and lack of manners really shocks me.

I don't care if they think I should unquestioningly give them my time, money and attention, I will not!
I would post it to him. Without putting a stamp on it then he’ll get a card from RM saying he needs to pay the postage as the sender didn’t pay the full amount 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Do you have a police station near you? Just dump the wallet through their letter box if you get the chance and tell him to sort it out with them. duck him.

I will have to take umbrage about the sentiment that it's younger people that have an overblown sense of entitlement though. In my experience the worst ones are the 50+ group. Thats the group where the Karen and Boomer memes stem from.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Do you have a police station near you? Just dump the wallet through their letter box if you get the chance and tell him to sort it out with them. duck him.

I will have to take umbrage about the sentiment that it's younger people that have an overblown sense of entitlement though. In my experience the worst ones are the 50+ group. Thats the group where the Karen and Boomer memes stem from.
Yeah, I will take it to the police station, it's just even that is an hour journey, as punishment for trying to save this guy from credit card fraud!

Fair enough if that's your experience! Mine is generally that manners are lowering and entitlement is rising. I don't blame young people themselves, they only know the world they've grown up in. I'm just angry that they assume I'm there to do everything for them.

Reactions: 3

Does he have your address? If not just give it to police. If so, just tell him youre out of the country for the next month and you handed it in to the police.

duck him

My neighbours prove this theory. All men under 40.
one of my neighbours likes to sing, he’s got a proper microphone amp style system. Every few weeks when he has time off work he will sing using his mic and amp until the early hours of the morning. Doesn’t matter what day it is or the fact that some of us have work and don’t appreciate being woken up at 4:30am on a random Thursday to listen to him singing don’t want to miss a thing by Aerosmith. It’s few and far between thankfully but have some thought. This is the same neighbour who thinks that 8pm is a perfectly normal time to DIY and vibrate the wall behind my head while I try to watch tv.
Other neighbour likes to listen to action movies with surround sound so I have to have to my tv on volume 30 and I can still hear the gun shots.

And I dislike my other neighbour (not the ones above!) because I got his washing in when it was raining once (we all share a courtyard. I didn’t walk into his garden). I put a note through the door to say I had it. he came to collect it and did not utter a single word, literally just showed me the note, took his washing and left. Not a thank you or even an acknowledgement. I’ll let it get soaked next time the prick.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I've booked a train ticket home for my child & I tomorrow via trainline app. The seats we have been allocated aren't next to each other. I emailed trainline, they said the seats aren't reservable. So I emailed with a screenshot of our reserved seats. They've replied saying speak to the station staff on the day. There's no way I'm letting my daughter travel not sat next go me - she's 7! So just stressing that I'm not going to be able to get this sorted 😫 I've paid over £100 for these tickets, least they could do is not make a child sit on their own for a 4 hour journey!
Well trainline said I had to ask at the ticket station on the day I'm travelling home. So I asked, and was told they can't amend it on the day and trainline should have sorted it when I emailed them 🙃 the ticket office lady saw my ticket & didn't tell me my train had been cancelled, so I then had to go back to my sisters as didn't fancy waiting 90 mins in the station for the next train. Barely made the next train due to bad traffic upon our return, then there's no seats as it is super busy due to previous train being cancelled. There's no food cart on this train & we didn't have a chance to get food when we came back to the station so have over 4 hours with no snacks and drink - which is a long time for a 7 year old. Honestly been horrendous. I've put in a complaint about it all.

I'd also like to rant that my POS ex is meant to pay £7 a week maintenance which is via collect & pay, yet he's not paid anything this month.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My neighbours prove this theory. All men under 40.
one of my neighbours likes to sing, he’s got a proper microphone amp style system. Every few weeks when he has time off work he will sing using his mic and amp until the early hours of the morning. Doesn’t matter what day it is or the fact that some of us have work and don’t appreciate being woken up at 4:30am on a random Thursday to listen to him singing don’t want to miss a thing by Aerosmith. It’s few and far between thankfully but have some thought. This is the same neighbour who thinks that 8pm is a perfectly normal time to DIY and vibrate the wall behind my head while I try to watch tv.
Other neighbour likes to listen to action movies with surround sound so I have to have to my tv on volume 30 and I can still hear the gun shots.

And I dislike my other neighbour (not the ones above!) because I got his washing in when it was raining once (we all share a courtyard. I didn’t walk into his garden). I put a note through the door to say I had it. he came to collect it and did not utter a single word, literally just showed me the note, took his washing and left. Not a thank you or even an acknowledgement. I’ll let it get soaked next time the prick.

I would not be very happy with someone taking in my washing unless it was very close friends or family. I always say to couriers etc not to leave my parcels at neighbours. I hate knocking at people's doors. If that had been me I would have put it into a plastic bag and left it on the step. You have no idea how dealing with people affects others.

Just trying to put across the other side of the debate. Some days I'm good some days i'm not.

I would not be very happy with someone taking in my washing unless it was very close friends or family. I always say to couriers etc not to leave my parcels at neighbours. I hate knocking at people's doors. If that had been me I would have put it into a plastic bag and left it on the step. You have no idea how dealing with people affects others.

Just trying to put across the other side of the debate. Some days I'm good some days i'm not.
I don’t like knocking on people’s doors either but I can still be polite and acknowledge someone was trying to be helpful even if I was pissed off 🤷🏻‍♀️

My wee boy is 9wks old today and I'm trying to stop breastfeeding but it's utter hell. I've got an oversupply of milk and it's caused me mastitis over and over again and with the wee man its causing him to be really unsettled when feeding and also really gassy. I'm currently trying to cut down his feeds and each time I do I get so sore I have to feed him again. I have really big boobs which doesn't help matters. When he takes a bottle there's no tummy issues from him it's only when he's fed from me. Breastfeeding can get in the bin today I've more than had enough

• Sad
  • Heart
When people ring you when you’re in the middle of eating tea.
( I ignore most of the calls, but I have a oap family member that’s on there own and I worry something is wrong)

You make it quite clear you’re eating your tea and keep trying to end the conversation and they just don’t get it and carry on!!

Reactions: 8
The feeble bags that flour comes in. More flour in my cupboard, on the floor, on my clothes than in the frigging bag!!

I don’t like knocking on people’s doors either but I can still be polite and acknowledge someone was trying to be helpful even if I was pissed off 🤷🏻‍♀️
But it might have nothing to do with being pissed off. I would not have been pissed off, but might not have been able to speak at that time but felt I had to come and get my washing making me anxious and overwhelmed. When you are in a bad place it's not nice being expected to say thank you for something you neither asked for nor wanted and if you don't/can't, then you are considered rude. If I came home and found my dry washing in a bag on the step after thinking it would be wet, I would have been delighted, but having to knock and ask for it can be a step too far for some. I'm ok now but remember those days well, but even so, I don't have parcels delivered anywhere but my own step.

Not everything is about rudeness or being ungrateful

Reactions: 2

AAAARRRGHHHH.

So I messaged this guy saying I was busy this week so I'll give it to the police station and he can collect it when he's ready. He's just messaged me to say "Well can you keep hold of it please". No, it's not my responsibility! I don't like having a stranger's important documents and cash in my house! I don't want to spend the next week thinking about this guy! Who the hell is this guy that he can just chill live without his wallet for a week? It's got cash, credit cards and his driving licence in it!

I decided to try showing him how busy I am by saying that I can do midday on Tuesday (in between my morning appointment and afternoon appointments), but after that I'm full-on busy until Sunday. Fucker replied "I'll try to get to you on Tuesday, but if not, Sunday is fine 😊." duck off!! Why does he even assume I'm some angel who won't steal his money or buy things with his cards? (I am an angel, but still, he's asking a lot of responsibility and goodwill from a stranger.)

I think I'll message him that I don't like having a stranger's important documents in my house, and I'm giving it to the police station tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.