What do you want to rant about today? #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My immune system is tit. I've gone away for a week, going home Sunday. Wish i was home now in my own bed, as I've got really bad thrush & too embarrassed to buy some medication for it. I've also been coughing my guts up for the last few days.
Try not to be embarrassed. There are so many treatments out there and they will help you enormously. I promise the people in the chemists or even supermarkets really don't care.

Reactions: 10
This company I've been interviewing with for a month now asked for a portfolio before making their "final decision".. 2 weeks after the second interview. sigh

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Don't suppose we have any legal/HR experts on here? If a role changes significantly from what you were told at interview and before accepting offer and signing contract , would you be in deep shizz if you turned round and withdrew? Reason being my new role yet again (sorry if i sound like a broken record at this stage) I applied for this role because all indications were that this company paid more for the equivalent to my last job. When it came to interview I was told about the role , what it would be, their hybrid working rules , dress code etc.On accepting at offer stage i was aware that the role would be several thousand less then my previous and that the commute would be a lengthy nightmare but I was inclined to suck it up for a year or so (the amount of time they make you wait before applying for another internal role) as I'm told promotion prospects are good and the people seemed ok.

About a week before I am due to start I get informed that I will be working under a different manager/for a different exec than i interviewed with and yesterday I get informed that on my first day I will be informed of dress code, hybrid working rules etc. (Never a good sign when a man wants to tell you about these thing as they tend to be more rigid)I have already checked this with HR prior to signing and they seemed reasonable - 2 days per week in office, rest WFH/hybrid and a fairl smart casual dress code - pretty similar to my previous employer. I cannot afford to buy more clothes or attend more than the minimum (especially not with such a huge wage cut) and I am very wary of the fact that this might be them doing another 180 and shanghaing me into terms i never agreed with that i would not have accepted.Seeing as they have already done me over about who i would be working with. The area is dangerous also as I discovered when doing a recce of office location and definitely not somewhere i feel comfortable when it gets dark later in the year (TBH i feel unsafe during the day).Also the role has changed from what it was described as at interview and become more of a step backwards in my career progression.

I am wondering if i would be within my rights to say the job wasnt what it said on the tin/not what i signed up for and withdraw or if I would be sued for breach of contract
If you’re in the UK you will not be sued for breach of contract and walk away quickly.

My two young children. I told them it was really important they sat nicely and behaved today when we were out and they were worse than ever. I am so disappointed in them , their behaviour was appalling.
They've lost their tablet privileges and I've told them I'm not buying nice treat food for their pudding anymore. I think the 5 year old feels a bit remorse as they are aware they've been reprimanded but the 3 year old says they don't care. They are so bad when they are together, I feel quite broken by them at the minute.
Where did you go? How long was it for? I wouldn’t expect a three year old to behave and sit still for a long period of time unfortunately 😦. ( just think prince louis at the coronation 😂) Maybe not even a 5 year old if it’s a new or busy environment. In what way are they bad? Children are always worse when they are together they bounce off each other.
don’t be so hard on them or yourself. They aren’t dogs or robots who do what we want they’re told all the time. Going out with kids is quite stressful I’m sure we’ve all been in this position as a parent 😞.

Reactions: 3
I've booked a train ticket home for my child & I tomorrow via trainline app. The seats we have been allocated aren't next to each other. I emailed trainline, they said the seats aren't reservable. So I emailed with a screenshot of our reserved seats. They've replied saying speak to the station staff on the day. There's no way I'm letting my daughter travel not sat next go me - she's 7! So just stressing that I'm not going to be able to get this sorted 😫 I've paid over £100 for these tickets, least they could do is not make a child sit on their own for a 4 hour journey!

• Sad
I've booked a train ticket home for my child & I tomorrow via trainline app. The seats we have been allocated aren't next to each other. I emailed trainline, they said the seats aren't reservable. So I emailed with a screenshot of our reserved seats. They've replied saying speak to the station staff on the day. There's no way I'm letting my daughter travel not sat next go me - she's 7! So just stressing that I'm not going to be able to get this sorted 😫 I've paid over £100 for these tickets, least they could do is not make a child sit on their own for a 4 hour journey!
Omg did it ask for her age when you booked it. That is madness. I’m sure the staff will accommodate you though. Or id like to think so

Reactions: 2
Omg did it ask for her age when you booked it. That is madness. I’m sure the staff will accommodate you though. Or id like to think so
Yes, it asked her age when I booked, and both tickets were booked at the same time so I thought they'd automatically be next to each other. Hoping if the staff can't/don't help that someone will swap seats with me

Yes, it asked her age when I booked, and both tickets were booked at the same time so I thought they'd automatically be next to each other. Hoping if the staff can't/don't help that someone will swap seats with me
That’s crazy. Hopefully it won’t be booked up and you can find two together. I’ve never known a train to be fully booked tbf

• Heart
Bah, someone advertised something that I really need on Facebook Marketplace and it was free. I messaged and he said I could have it.

I offered to pick it up yesterday but he didn't get back to me. Today he asks me if I can go over this morning, I say yes then he goes quiet on me. When he gets back to me, he says that he's had offers on it, but he'll give it to me cheaper because I was first "£20 if that's ok". I said no, I only applied because it was free. He says no worries, he'll give it to someone else. I tell him you can't give something to someone for free, then charge them for it, it's actually illegal. He says he's not going to give it away when he's had offers for £60 and sends me a load of laugh emojis. I say I realise that, it's just a tit thing to do to me. He gets nasty. I've reported him, I bloody hope they do something about it.

I think it was probably a scam? It seems weird to me that people would offer money for a free listing, and that it happened in the hour between when he asked me to pick it up and now.

I'm left feeling disproportionately tearful about the exchange. I really needed it, I was so happy to find it for free, then he just tried to step on me, assuming that I'd cough up money and be grateful. I'm not going to submit and smile to someone doing that to me. Then he laughs at me. I'm all sad.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Bah, someone advertised something that I really need on Facebook Marketplace and it was free. I messaged and he said I could have it.

I offered to pick it up yesterday but he didn't get back to me. Today he asks me if I can go over this morning, I say yes then he goes quiet on me. When he gets back to me, he says that he's had offers on it, but he'll give it to me cheaper because I was first "£20 if that's ok". I said no, I only applied because it was free. He says no worries, he'll give it to someone else. I tell him you can't give something to someone for free, then charge them for it, it's actually illegal. He says he's not going to give it away when he's had offers for £60 and sends me a load of laugh emojis. I say I realise that, it's just a tit thing to do to me. He gets nasty. I've reported him, I bloody hope they do something about it.

I think it was probably a scam? It seems weird to me that people would offer money for a free listing, and that it happened in the hour between when he asked me to pick it up and now.

I'm left feeling disproportionately tearful about the exchange. I really needed it, I was so happy to find it for free, then he just tried to step on me, assuming that I'd cough up money and be grateful. I'm not going to submit and smile to someone doing that to me. Then he laughs at me. I'm all sad.
What a scumbag. Don’t be sad, at least you’re not a scumbag like him ❤

Reactions: 5
I’ve had three “I’m bored” and two “what can I eat?” plus a bonus “are we doing anything today?” All before 12pm 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🙄 All of last week they were asking me if today could be a chill out day because there was a lot going on and we had a manic weekend, but now it’s here and they’re chilling out they don’t want it 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄 We have lots of summer plans, including a big holiday, and indoors they have all the streaming services and toys they could want, so they can just bloody well deal with a day of no plans! I’m sure when I was a kid in the 80s/90s my mum most certainly did not plan exciting things every day 🙄
There's a good line in an Adrian Mole book, where he says that his kids are always asking him at the weekends "What are we going to do today?" He says "I don't remember ever doing anything at the weekends when I was a kid. I just skulked about the house till it was time to go to bed."

I don't like to criticise kids, because they only know what the outside world has taught them, but I am worried that kids today have constant stimulation with games and YouTube and stuff, so they can't tolerate being bored. Being bored is where we learn imaginative play and to learn hobbies and learn to do things for ourselves. I'm genuinely concerned about what life will be like in 30 years when we have a generation who expect everything right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
There's a good line in an Adrian Mole book, where he says that his kids are always asking him at the weekends "What are we going to do today?" He says "I don't remember ever doing anything at the weekends when I was a kid. I just skulked about the house till it was time to go to bed."

I don't like to criticise kids, because they only know what the outside world has taught them, but I am worried that kids today have constant stimulation with games and YouTube and stuff, so they can't tolerate being bored. Being bored is where we learn imaginative play and to learn hobbies and learn to do things for ourselves. I'm genuinely concerned about what life will be like in 30 years when we have a generation who expect everything right now.
I dont think it will be as long as 30 years! Having to "entertain" school leavers in their first job is like a form of torture. Even when you tell them to spend a half day training (meaning im very busy leave me alone) its CONSTANT questions and mithering

the rain and grey skies. i know everyone is probably the same but another weekend and another wet dark day. i’m sick of being wet, i’m sick of the dog being wet after a walk. the lads will come in shortly from football and are drenched to the skin again.
july has been a horrible month.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I dont think it will be as long as 30 years! Having to "entertain" school leavers in their first job is like a form of torture. Even when you tell them to spend a half day training (meaning im very busy leave me alone) its CONSTANT questions and mithering
Oh yes there’s a noticeable difference with young people in the last 10 years or so (even worse within the last 3 years) that they don’t really want to work hard, always want the easy option and general need to be entertained all days. life isn’t fun 100% of the time. I can see the issues but no idea how anyone could fix it?!?

Reactions: 9

It's very likely it was a scam. You probably had a lucky escape. I'm sorry that creep upset you.
I bet he cheated the people who offered him money - that's if they actually did.

Don't suppose we have any legal/HR experts on here? If a role changes significantly from what you were told at interview and before accepting offer and signing contract , would you be in deep shizz if you turned round and withdrew? Reason being my new role yet again (sorry if i sound like a broken record at this stage) I applied for this role because all indications were that this company paid more for the equivalent to my last job. When it came to interview I was told about the role , what it would be, their hybrid working rules , dress code etc.On accepting at offer stage i was aware that the role would be several thousand less then my previous and that the commute would be a lengthy nightmare but I was inclined to suck it up for a year or so (the amount of time they make you wait before applying for another internal role) as I'm told promotion prospects are good and the people seemed ok.

About a week before I am due to start I get informed that I will be working under a different manager/for a different exec than i interviewed with and yesterday I get informed that on my first day I will be informed of dress code, hybrid working rules etc. (Never a good sign when a man wants to tell you about these thing as they tend to be more rigid)I have already checked this with HR prior to signing and they seemed reasonable - 2 days per week in office, rest WFH/hybrid and a fairl smart casual dress code - pretty similar to my previous employer. I cannot afford to buy more clothes or attend more than the minimum (especially not with such a huge wage cut) and I am very wary of the fact that this might be them doing another 180 and shanghaing me into terms i never agreed with that i would not have accepted.Seeing as they have already done me over about who i would be working with. The area is dangerous also as I discovered when doing a recce of office location and definitely not somewhere i feel comfortable when it gets dark later in the year (TBH i feel unsafe during the day).Also the role has changed from what it was described as at interview and become more of a step backwards in my career progression.

I am wondering if i would be within my rights to say the job wasnt what it said on the tin/not what i signed up for and withdraw or if I would be sued for breach of contract

Even if you have signed a contract you can withdraw.

Reactions: 1
People who say they 'have mental health' when they mean they have BAD mental health. That phrase drives me up the wall. Usually thrown out by scummy mummies sitting on TikTok live for hours despite being too 'anxious' to work.
Yes!!! "I suffer with mental health." It shows how talking about mental illness is still so stigmatised. We've made strides in acknowledging depression and anxiety, but people with severe illnesses like bipolar and schizophrenia are as stigmatised as ever. Maybe moreso now that every Tom, Dick and Harry think they "suffer with mental health", because now they're all "well it's not an excuse for bad behaviour." Being sad because your job is bad is not an excuse for bad behaviour. Having an illness so severe that it makes you see and hear and believe in false things, obviously will alter how you behave.
---
It's very likely it was a scam. You probably had a lucky escape. I'm sorry that creep upset you.
I bet he cheated the people who offered him money - that's if they actually did.
Yeah, thank you ♥ It does seem weird that he'd get multiple offers in the hour between him asking me to come over and when he replied asking for money. He probably was always going to up the price then tell me it was a bargain. He probably was just angry because he didn't expect a woman to stand up to him.

• Heart
If the kids start moaning 'I'm bored' 'what are we doing today?' etc give them chores to do, that will soon shut them up!

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Prob a scam but Facebook marketplace is generally frustrating so don't take any exchanges on there to heart.

To be fair if I listed something for free but there were a lot of people who wanted it and were offering money I would also rather sell it. There isn't anything illegal about what he did as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: 1
Prob a scam but Facebook marketplace is generally frustrating so don't take any exchanges on there to heart.

To be fair if I listed something for free but there were a lot of people who wanted it and were offering money I would also rather sell it. There isn't anything illegal about what he did as far as I'm aware.
There is, you can't advertise a product for a price, then change it at the time of sale. It is illegal, the same way that selling a product that is not what's advertised is illegal. I realise there will be no way to enforce that on Facebook and that's not why I'm upset. I just brought it up to drive home to him that it was a crappy thing to do to me.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.