What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My dad's mother (my nan) bought me a yellow melon and my brother a packet of dried apricots when we were children for Christmas, to add insult she wrapped them up too! Best Christmas ever because we found it so amusing hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My dad's mother (my nan) bought me a yellow melon and my brother a packet of dried apricots when we were children for Christmas, to add insult she wrapped them up too! Best Christmas ever because we found it so amusing hahaha
Aww... My Grandad used to buy all his grandchildren a small bar of cadburys dairy milk with 50p sellotaped to it .....and not wrapped.....
I guess the choc is OK and it's the thought that counts right??

Reactions: 5
Not me but my (thankfully estranged) sister & brother have both bought my mum bubble bath several times over the past few years.
She got rid of her bath in 2006 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Aww... My Grandad used to buy all his grandchildren a small bar of cadburys dairy milk with 50p sellotaped to it .....and not wrapped.....
I guess the choc is OK and it's the thought that counts right??
Normally I'd say yes, your grandad sounds sweet! My nan was just cold hearted and very tight! I had an aunt who used to sellotape a pound or two into our Christmas cards and we loved that!

Reactions: 5
A few years ago my parents gave me and my sisters (and our partners) a symbolic voucher for a family trip to a cabin, adding that it would be the first time we would all go on vacation together because I never joined them on family vacations when I was young (as in 15-18, we couldn't afford going on vacation abroad before then). It wasn't that there were scheduling issues that kept me from joining them, I just never wanted to. I am not a family person and I'd rather stay home by myself or on the farm next door that had horses. Being trapped in a cabin in the woods with my (chain smoking) parents is my idea of hell.
Weirdly, it was never mentioned again and we never went - I didn't even have to make up any excuses.

I had a chocolate spanner as a secret santa once.
You've mentioned this a fair few times and I always feel a wee bit guilty when I read it because I gave my FIL a chocolate spanner once (well, a whole chocolate toolkit) - he thought it was funny and it wasn't his main present ;-)

I think if you want to participate in secret santa your main motivation should be to be a great gift giver, not in the hope of receiving something amazing, worth more than what you've invested. People who take the piss or don't bring a present on time (like the guy someone mentioned who used to hand his over after Christmas) should be excluded.
And I can recomment wittling down the number of people you exchange gifts with in general. There often are so many people that we exhange the cheap gift sets with, its just a waste of money. Back to christmas cards.

Also annoying: gift vouchers for (small) shops that aren't in you area and don't have an online shop (or do but don't deliver to you area).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
You've mentioned this a fair few times and I always feel a wee bit guilty when I read it because I gave my FIL a chocolate spanner once (well, a whole chocolate toolkit) - he thought it was funny and it wasn't his main present ;-)
Yes, I am scarred by it. Every time someone mentions secret santa it takes me back to the spanner. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
My fellas surprising me this year. Expect to see me here ranting and raving in approx 3 weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I had a chocolate spanner as a secret santa once.
You see I don't think that this is a bad gift, I mean chocolate is ALWAYS good. Appreciate it's more relevant for somebody into DIY but I'd eat it regardless and it's much better than the crap smellies I've had from Secret Santa

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I got a balloon modelling kit and some retro (read Swizzels Love Hearts tit) in a secret Santa once.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I remember a relative gave me a bratz annual when I was 14. She was quite well off and had teenage kids of her own and I know she wouldn't have dreamt of giving something suitable for 8 year old to her daughter. I think there's a difference between making an effort and not quite getting it right and getting any old crap for someone. Of course I know finances play a part but you can still get something nice for someone and show some effort. I saw on mumsnet someone seriously said to get some sanitary products for a teenage girl in need this Christmas. I just thought how mortifying, poor girl is having a crap time of it and probably needs something to make life feel a bit brighter and nicer, that would just make you feel worse!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I remember a relative gave me a bratz annual when I was 14. She was quite well off and had teenage kids of her own and I know she wouldn't have dreamt of giving something suitable for 8 year old to her daughter. I think there's a difference between making an effort and not quite getting it right and getting any old crap for someone. Of course I know finances play a part but you can still get something nice for someone and show some effort. I saw on mumsnet someone seriously said to get some sanitary products for a teenage girl in need this Christmas. I just thought how mortifying, poor girl is having a crap time of it and probably needs something to make life feel a bit brighter and nicer, that would just make you feel worse!
Is it just up here in Scotland you can pick up free sanitary products in places like Dr’s surgeries and libraries?

Reactions: 4
This is going to make me sound like a right ungrateful cow. But my birthday a couple of years ago, my husband walks in holding a turquoise Tiffany bag. My face was 😳😀 opened it and it was perfume 😣 not the worst gift. But I’ve never forgotten that disappointment, bless him!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My fellas mom asked him for a gold bracelet charm. Her birthday is just after Xmas. She's had a happy 60th birthday mug from the charity shop. Not a chance is her present cutting into my Xmas present fund!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
My fellas mom asked him for a gold bracelet charm. Her birthday is just after Xmas. She's had a happy 60th birthday mug from the charity shop. Not a chance is her present cutting into my Xmas present fund!
My mother-in-law birthday is just after Christmas too. Back of the queue now, darling!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Yes
Is it just up here in Scotland you can pick up free sanitary products in places like Dr’s surgeries and libraries?
Yes, even in England now many public places will have them freely available too, it was just an example of how clueless some people can be with gifts, or they think because someone may be on hard times or in poverty they should just be grateful for whatever they are given, I think everyone deserves something nice for Christmas / birthdays

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes

Yes, even in England now many public places will have them freely available too, it was just an example of how clueless some people can be with gifts, or they think because someone may be on hard times or in poverty they should just be grateful for whatever they are given, I think everyone deserves something nice for Christmas / birthdays
My husband’s and his business partners decided to make a donation to a local food bank last year in lieu of sending Christmas cards to clients and business associates. I did the shopping for it and as well as food and toiletries, I made sure to include 20 selection boxes. All children deserve to have a little chocolatey treat on the big day.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Cheap bottle opener from my brother with no bottle to go with it.

We made him up a nice luxury hamper with all his favourites in which took time, effort and love.

Our mother just laughed and found it hilarious

• Sad
Reactions: 8