What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My ex once bought me a sandwich toaster, no box just a carrier bag because it was ex display.
Another year it was an iron that he was given for free.
He also gave me some hideous knickers with his favourite football team on, they were tiny and had really scratchy lace, he seemed surprised I didn't want to wear them.
His mother was no better, most of her gifts came from car boot sales, jumble sales etc and clearly no thought had gone into them. I thought she'd finally made an effort when I got some chenille gloves but when I tried them on there were holes in some of the finger tips!
I used to try so hard to get her nice gifts but gave up when I realised she was just selling them all so I refused to waste my time and made my ex do it instead.
Oh and there was the small stuffed toy she gave me squashed into a plastic food bag, she proudly told me it had come up quite well after a good wash!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
My mother in law gave me a carrier bag from the pound shop, a reusable one, wrapped up with puppies printed all over it 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I just said oh eh thanks and put it to one side, at the table she kept saying at the table 'Chatty9 doesn't like her gift, I know she doesn't, she's barely looked at it' talking as if I wasn't sitting beside her.
She's a narcissistic nutjob 🙈🙈 estranged from most of her family with good reason

• Haha
Reactions: 7
A sparkly top 4 sizes too big . An electric tin opener . Personalised pj's with my name spelt wrong

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My mum sent me a lime green angora jumper one year. Definitely wasn't my colour and I believe she bought it herself and it didn't fit. I did wear it once out of politeness and I came out in a rash. For her next birthday I sent her a hideous candle burner. After that we don't buy for each other anymore 🤣

• Haha
I once received a book in a chocolate box (yes you read it right).
The friend is very into saving the world and told me she doesn't wrap present... but it didn't occur to me that it wasn't a box of chocolates..

Only when I got home thinking it was a box of chocolates did I realised she put a book inside the box and it was an odd book about Tuscany.

And I received craps for almost every company Christmas exchange. One year my Secret Santa gifted me 1 FREE lipgloss sample (you can definitely tell it's a gift with purchase).
Another company exchange gift was an ugly pouch (probably something his wife or daughter didn't want)

I'm a believer that a bad gift is worse than no gift.
I beg to differ.
I can remember my first and only secret santa. The price limit was £5, so I bought a fancy note book, part of the recipient's job was administration, so I though it would be useful!
When I went to collect my gift, I found bugger all, zilch, not a crumb. At least I knew where I stood!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
I'm a part time photographer and I have had multiple camera lens mugs over the years from family and secret Santa's. I'll not be surprised if I get another this year.
Someone gave my daughter one of these when she was into photography. She wasn’t sure at first what it was meant to be 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Secret Santa is often a sneaky way of being a right fucker to someone you work with under the guise of a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’m in the position to give the worst gift this year.
I have big bunch of yarn all wrapped up for a knitter…who just broke her arm.

I think I have some shopping to do 😳

• Sad
  • Haha
A Creflo Dollar preaching CD. My mother-in-law donates to this multi-millionaire American evangelist monthly and he says thanks by sending her rubbish, which I’m then ‘blessed’ to receive. She always wraps it up in very posh paper too. Every bloody Christmas!
---

That’s a lovely to gift to give. I’m sure it will still be appreciated. You can never have too much yarn! (Fellow knitter here)

As a knitter, I'd still love yarn and be fondling it at every opportunity! I'd be demanding that my cast allowed me to either knit, crochet or embroider 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Secret Santa is often a sneaky way of being a right fucker to someone you work with under the guise of a joke.
I worked with an accountant who was given an Accounting for Dummies book one year as an "extra" secret santa. Never did find out who put it under the tree but it was mortifying to see it opened.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I’ll still give it to her. I might just wait until her arm is healed. And then that’s fun because who doesn’t love a surprise present?

Last edited:
Not sure if i posted it before, but hubby received a red satin bow tie (5 pounds M&S - reduced to clear) from his mother - He's a Tradie and a Biker WTAF??
And for me a tube of hand cream not brand specific.......cheap as chips off the market or possibly re-gifted??

And before anyone asks - she was not on a limited income.....she's just FKN mean........

• Haha